Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Warcraft: Dragon Desperation

abija

Prophet
What's possibly worse is the whole parsing culture going on. Instead of seeing how skilled you are at raid mechanics (which you often need to complete a fight), you are exclusively judged based on how much damage and heals you do. This rot has reached the point where if your numbers aren't high enough, or you don't engage with the third-party parsing websites, you are seen as dead weight regardless of your actual skill. This also means that players are rewarded for not engaging with the mechanics and will have DPS take unnecessary damage or not engage with the things that progress the fight just to parse better. This in turn has Blizzard increase the difficulty of the raids, which means that they become increasingly difficult to complete for those not part of the nolifer neckbeard sweatlord crowd. Mechanics now have to be executed perfectly or you end up with a wipe. This means that raiding becomes less attractive for the more casual players, who will drop the game because they can't expect to do all there is in an expansion, which leads to the ever-dwindling player numbers we have seen over the years.

When you put 4 difficulties in the game and dumbfucks still find a reason to complain. What you describe there only happens at low skill level.
High end PvE is the only thing they haven't ruined in WoW and you basically ask to change it so it caters to imbeciles. And yes, it's imbeciles not casuals as you imply. There are plenty casual players doing hardest content.

Logging/parsing is great and should be a standard feature in every game. Clear, detailed information is never an issue.

Caim

Arcane
the fact that according to Meltzen, WoW is going to continue with 10-20 years worth of expansions, is fucking frightening.
I genuinely wonder how long their engine is going to be running until they can no longer support it with content that's held together by super glue (the MTX shop will work fine though)
They'll keep it powered through blood sacrifice.

Thalstarion

Literate
If the game does last that long then I hope it reflects the inevitable pendulum swing against DEI/ESG nonsense. The setting for all of its flaws and despite being heavily gutted of any grit still somehow manages to be grittier than most of the competition...which isn't saying much, admittedly.

Personally I am only playing it to get my MMORPG fix until something better comes along. I have my eyes on both Pantheon and Ashes of Creation so hopefully one or both will launch successfully.

The Chinese title (地心之戰 "War at the Center of the Earth") might have been better. For the 11.0 story marketing, the writers have been talking about the expansion is also about "inner turmoil" within Anduin and Alleria, but WoW has never credibly delivered an introspective story like what you would see in a JRPG or a visual novel. Hard to do so when you are playing as a different character rather than as Anduin or Alleria.

CEO: Subscribers are leaving in droves, people are bored. We have to do something.
Ideas guy: Dragons!
CEO: Dude, enough with the dragons, it is a sign of desperation to just shove dragons in everything. We don't want to be like Skyrim or Dragon Age.
Ideas guy: Dragon Desperation! I love it. It could have dragons on the cover and a chick with big tits.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Do you all think they secretly work on a "WoW 2" for a time when this gets too old? I know they did that once before and turned it into that FPS. But there has to be a WoW2 in development, surely? How could you have all that money and not use it in the most obvious way?

Old Hans

Arcane
the fact that according to Meltzen, WoW is going to continue with 10-20 years worth of expansions, is fucking frightening.
Can't wait for The War Within Season of Dickery coming in 2032. Get hype!
Just how far can they actually pull this fucking game.
im amazed WoW is a thing that still draws media attention. I remember when everquest was considered an ancient forgotten dinosaur by 2004

Caim

Arcane
Do you all think they secretly work on a "WoW 2" for a time when this gets too old? I know they did that once before and turned it into that FPS. But there has to be a WoW2 in development, surely? How could you have all that money and not use it in the most obvious way?
The problem is that the second they release a WoW 2 it gives all the WoW 1 players an out, a bigger quit moment than they ever had before. Even though there will be a lot of excitement for the game only the crustiest of neckbeards will stick to WoW, which will be hampered by the fact that only the most recent expansion will be relevant.

im amazed WoW is a thing that still draws media attention. I remember when everquest was considered an ancient forgotten dinosaur by 2004
There was Everquest 2, but that the poor fortune of coming out 15 days before WoW did.

J1M

Arcane
I genuinely wonder how long their engine is going to be running until they can no longer support it with content that's held together by super glue (the MTX shop will work fine though)
Portions of the engine are rewritten every 2 years. It's not the "same engine" as 20 years ago.

J1M

Arcane
The Chinese title (地心之戰 "War at the Center of the Earth") might have been better. For the 11.0 story marketing, the writers have been talking about the expansion is also about "inner turmoil" within Anduin and Alleria, but WoW has never credibly delivered an introspective story like what you would see in a JRPG or a visual novel. Hard to do so when you are playing as a different character rather than as Anduin or Alleria.
That is a wordy mouthful. The War Within is about 3 things: fighting spiders in a cavern, changing certain characters via inner turmoil plots to get them where Metzen wants them for the confrontation with the Titans, and an allegory of the internal struggle at Blizzard about the direction of the franchise.

Chinese title is shit.

Do you all think they secretly work on a "WoW 2" for a time when this gets too old?

No. Blizzard is incapable of producing another MMO. They began suffering brain drain before WoW even launched, with the lead programmer leaving to go start up his own company and produce Guild Wars. And then when WoW launched, many of the vanilla WoW devs left too. And by now almost all of Blizzard's talent is gone. Blizzard is unable to release games. Ghost was cancelled. The second Diablo 3 expansion was cancelled. HotS was put into maintenance mode. The survival game was cancelled. The superhero MMO languished in development hell for years on end before being cancelled. The promised Overwatch 2 singleplayer game never materialized, OW2 was just a OW1 patch branded as a $60 game. The survival game was cancelled. Blizzard's incubation unit hasn't managed to release anything. Diablo immortal is D3 made by another company. D4 is D3 with a different coat of paint.

If another high production value artbook fantasy MMO releases, then it's going to be from Riot games, the only dev that has the resources and the interest to do so. Square Enix has also suffered from brain drain so I doubt there will be a 3rd FF MMO. I have my doubts about Guild Wars 3 given how Anet neglected GW2 to work on two projects that never went anywhere, oh and all of their talent is gone too.

Just Locus

Educated
Do you all think they secretly work on a "WoW 2" for a time when this gets too old? I know they did that once before and turned it into that FPS.
I feel like Blizzard knows that they can't strike lightning in a bottle again like they did back in 2004 with WoW.

WoW managed to make MMORPGs more accessible without sacrificing fun in the process, it pioneered many mechanics that many now consider MMORPG staples; an in-game mail system, auction houses where players can trade goods, instanced dungeons that allowed you and your friends to defeat bosses together.

Blizzard knows that WoW's success was and will stay exceptional.

Vyvian

Educated
I think the most likely outcome is a massive "reset" after this trilogy concludes. It won't be WoW 2 but it'll kinda be WoW 2 just the same game overall.

Thalstarion

Literate
I still remember the golden era fondly. I met a lot of good people back then and I am still in contact with a handful to this very day.

Do you all think they secretly work on a "WoW 2" for a time when this gets too old?

No. Blizzard is incapable of producing another MMO. They began suffering brain drain before WoW even launched, with the lead programmer leaving to go start up his own company and produce Guild Wars. And then when WoW launched, many of the vanilla WoW devs left too. And by now almost all of Blizzard's talent is gone. Blizzard is unable to release games. Ghost was cancelled. The second Diablo 3 expansion was cancelled. HotS was put into maintenance mode. The survival game was cancelled. The superhero MMO languished in development hell for years on end before being cancelled. The promised Overwatch 2 singleplayer game never materialized, OW2 was just a OW1 patch branded as a $60 game. The survival game was cancelled. Blizzard's incubation unit hasn't managed to release anything. Diablo immortal is D3 made by another company. D4 is D3 with a different coat of paint.

If another high production value artbook fantasy MMO releases, then it's going to be from Riot games, the only dev that has the resources and the interest to do so. Square Enix has also suffered from brain drain so I doubt there will be a 3rd FF MMO. I have my doubts about Guild Wars 3 given how Anet neglected GW2 to work on two projects that never went anywhere, oh and all of their talent is gone too.

The story of EQ is a lot like that. Brad McQuaid got rich and promoted to a management position, but it made him miss being hands on with games. So he left to make games, along with some others. EQ made a fortune but they spent all the money on trying to make another hit, but so much was half baked crap. Eventually they ran out of money and sold the company.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
The amount of people that bought the game edition that's 40 euros more for 3 days of "early access" is disappointing but not unexpected. If there's one fanbase that I definitely expect to be eating up all the shit that a company throws at them it's definitely this one.

ADL

Prophet
It's a shame no "make your own MMO" engines were a success. HeroEngine flopped hard. It's easier than ever to make a MMO these days but it's still fucking expensive and you'll be competing against other games with decades of content. Very few succeed and it's a very hard sell to get a hundred million dollar budget to make one.

I strongly suspect that Cloud Imperium is gonna license StarEngine and you only need one or two successful licensees for that to be worth doing. Amazon is gonna do their same with Lumberyard/O3DE using their Lord of the Rings MMO as a showcase and Mark Jacobs is licensing his Camelot Unchained tech to anyone who wants it (lol)

The story of EQ is a lot like that. Brad McQuaid got rich and promoted to a management position, but it made him miss being hands on with games. So he left to make games, along with some others. EQ made a fortune but they spent all the money on trying to make another hit, but so much was half baked crap. Eventually they ran out of money and sold the company.
As unfinished as Vanguard was, I think it'd still be running today if the average person could play it. That game was hilariously unoptomized and required top-end specs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom