Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of warcraft: Shadowlands announced

J1M

Arcane
Feel free to quote me on this when they announce the next WoW expansion.

Things are so bad for them right now that the next one will be all dragons all the time. They'll still make the trans gnome dragon the most prominent, but this will be like when they needed to pull Illidan out of cold storage times five.

Shitposter
There are still about 0 alternatives for wow dungeons/raids/pvp. Imagine that.

It's actually crazy. I don't understand how, despite video games being a thing for 30+ years, WoW is the ONLY game that consistently puts out quality co-op dungeons.
You'd think there'd be a huge market for some 5-man co-op game that just has a shitton of fun dungeons but everyone's stuck waiting for WoW to put out their 8 every 3 years.

Caim

Arcane
There are still about 0 alternatives for wow dungeons/raids/pvp. Imagine that.
It's actually crazy. I don't understand how, despite video games being a thing for 30+ years, WoW is the ONLY game that consistently puts out quality co-op dungeons.
You'd think there'd be a huge market for some 5-man co-op game that just has a shitton of fun dungeons but everyone's stuck waiting for WoW to put out their 8 every 3 years.
Huh, good point. The only games I can think of that even come close to that are either shooters, isometric or you get stuff like Vermintide. Just straight up the RPG dungeon experience with a decently-sized skill bar instead of getting only four like you're playing a MOBA or something. Run the dungeon, get the loot, do another one. Three difficulty modes: basic bitch groupfinder, adventurer, hero. Each higher difficulty gives better loot. Lockouts appear on the highest difficulty, but with enough content the lockout will run out before you have done all the dungeons. Sprinkle in a few megadungeons that can allow larger group sizes and there you go.

Cromwell

Arcane
Huh, good point. The only games I can think of that even come close to that are either shooters, isometric or you get stuff like Vermintide. Just straight up the RPG dungeon experience with a decently-sized skill bar instead of getting only four like you're playing a MOBA or something. Run the dungeon, get the loot, do another one. Three difficulty modes: basic bitch groupfinder, adventurer, hero. Each higher difficulty gives better loot. Lockouts appear on the highest difficulty, but with enough content the lockout will run out before you have done all the dungeons. Sprinkle in a few megadungeons that can allow larger group sizes and there you go.

Thats DDO.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
QQn3Oir.png

Caim

Arcane
Lmao they remove unwanted sexual attention from the game but not from their company.

J1M

Arcane
At first blush this will look like the art team is the only one working, but this is just stuff from the cutting room floor that missed previous deadlines.

deama

Prophet
I donno what you guys are talking about wow's dungeons, they not that good, DDO's dungeons are better, especially in the beginning.
And besides, doesn't final fantasy XIV have good dungeons I hear?

Codex Year of the Donut
I donno what you guys are talking about wow's dungeons, they not that good, DDO's dungeons are better, especially in the beginning.
all of xiv's ""dungeons"" after ARR(the base content) are just hallways. They completely did away with things like siderooms and making interesting locations because people just rush through it for welfare marks and they decided to appease the lowest common denominator rather than encourage people to not just rush through everything for their welfare marks.

There's really no other MMO on the market that has dungeons like DDO because they're the entire game. Each dungeon is a "quest"(not in typical MMO sense) that would be equivalent to e.g., a typical D&D adventure, or possibly one split over a handful of quests. They aren't just running from start to end killing things, there's typically a lot of D&D-esque stuff to do and the traps are very deadly(1 hit kills on higher difficulties.)

deama

Prophet
all of xiv's ""dungeons"" after ARR(the base content) are just hallways. They completely did away with things like siderooms and making interesting locations because people just rush through it for welfare marks and they decided to appease the lowest common denominator rather than encourage people to not just rush through everything for their welfare marks.
Oh, that's a shame, but the bosses are at least pretty well done to compensate, right?

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh, that's a shame, but the bosses are at least pretty well done to compensate, right?
most bosses have various telegraphed "don't stand in the colored floor" mechanics to the point where it feels like you're playing a dancing game.
ffxiv feels like it's popular because of weeaboos and coomers(I repeat myself), it's not particularly good. The crafting system is unique and fun though.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
most bosses have various telegraphed "don't stand in the colored floor" mechanics to the point where it feels like you're playing a dancing game.
ffxiv feels like it's popular because of weeaboos and coomers(I repeat myself), it's not particularly good. The crafting system is unique and fun though.

I played FFXIV up to the end of Stormblood, but couldn't bring myself to finish it (quit on the last story quest) even though I picked up Shadowbringers and didn't bother logging in during the free 2 week promotion that just ended. It's alright, but I'd actually say there aren't any good MMOs these days.

How much you want to play FFXIV probably could be reframed as how badly do you want to play a catgirl in a tab-targeting MMO? If that's worth money to you, then it's probably your cup of tea. Also, you must have a reasonable tolerance for people using those anime emojis and kawaii speak like they're all 14.

J1M

Arcane

There's really no other MMO on the market that has dungeons like DDO because they're the entire game. Each dungeon is a "quest"(not in typical MMO sense) that would be equivalent to e.g., a typical D&D adventure, or possibly one split over a handful of quests. They aren't just running from start to end killing things, there's typically a lot of D&D-esque stuff to do and the traps are very deadly(1 hit kills on higher difficulties.)
I don't like DDO's take on power creep and feats or difficulty settings, which is a shame because in theory their approach to narrated dungeons with defined rest points is good design that we should see in more single player RPGs.

deama

Prophet
I don't like DDO's take on power creep and feats or difficulty settings, which is a shame because in theory their approach to narrated dungeons with defined rest points is good design that we should see in more single player RPGs.
I said earlier that I gave up on DDO because of the jumping cap, but in reality it was more to do with it not managing the power levels correctly, e.g. as a lvl 16 monk I was having a hard time fighting street bandits in one quest, that's not even on elite difficulty!
Too many games ignore this I noticed, I think this is vital.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
World of Warcraft has been saved! Why aren't you playing now that they've fixed it?

y4AmLnQ.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom