Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Whorecraft: Battle for Asseroth

TedNugent

Arcane
Fucktard.
Yeah, you are. But admitting it is the first step. All the shit you named as 'positives' for current WoW have been in the game since vanilla. OMG city raids?!??!! PEOPLE NEVER DID THAT BEFORE!

Challenge modes, heroic raids, heroic dungeons, heroic scenarios, Arena, and Brawler's Guild, Tol Barad, Wintergrasp and rated battlegrounds, none of which were in vanilla and 3 of which were introduced in Mists of Pandaria.

What a load of horseshit, when is the last time you even played the game?

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Err, RBGs existed in Vanilla and were eventually taken out, only to be brought back in Cata, no?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fucktard.
Yeah, you are. But admitting it is the first step. All the shit you named as 'positives' for current WoW have been in the game since vanilla. OMG city raids?!??!! PEOPLE NEVER DID THAT BEFORE!

Challenge modes, heroic raids, heroic dungeons, heroic scenarios, Arena, and Brawler's Guild, Tol Barad, Wintergrasp and rated battlegrounds, none of which were in vanilla and 3 of which were introduced in Mists of Pandaria.

What a load of horseshit, when is the last time you even played the game?

Once again, your arguments don't actually address the things people are bringing up as problems in modern WoW. But I'm done arguing the point with you, you're pretty clearly a moron.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Nope, RBGs weren't until Cataclysm. The honor system itself had some similiraties due to ranking and all

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Once again, your arguments don't actually address the things people are bringing up as problems in modern WoW. But I'm done arguing the point with you, you're pretty clearly a moron.
130ish posts. Most about WoW... nothing of value will be missed from him.

TedNugent

Arcane
As opposed to dumbfucks casually trolling

Wilian is the only one thus far whose provided a legitimate response. The rest of you are just bleating or trolling

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I don't know why I'm doing this... ah what the hell, it's an interesting discussion with interesting people involved so why not.

Yes, WoW's vanilla mode lacked a shitton of stuff that it has now, in terms of encounter design, skills and various submechanics
To me these are extremely essential elements in a game. Maybe my vision is too single player one-sided but I cannot imagine investing years in a game where any of these design elements was lacking. Maybe that's why I could never get into any MMO (not just WOW mind you). I guess for those of you who do, the community aspects are good enough to outweigh whatever is lacking in the mechanics or design departments - kinda like enjoying Arcanum for what it does really well despite the combat?

however, lack of LFG, LFR and various other search tools meant that the players had to interact with each others.
This is something that frequently comes up from one of my friends actually. He really does miss the community aspect that you describe (he was a p. good healer apparently, and was well known on his realm) but according to him the pre-dungeonfinder (not LFR; whatever it's called, the one that lets you find others for non-raid dungeons) days frequently involved sitting on your ass trying to recruit people for your group, then as soon as your group is ready someone has to go, then you spend another 5 minutes filling in that spot, then your tank leaves and you spend another half hour finding one.... honestly it makes it sound like the most boring waste of time ever. And keep in mind this all comes from someone who liked the game as it was and still misses the community aspect.

You had to get yourself attractive to others in order to come to L60 runs that wouldn't suck massive cock unless you wanted to be that last-moment filler; failing that, you had to actually have friends that'd take you along. Point is, you do not have this aspect now. It's not an MMO, really. It's a hub for a set of minigames based on the same mechanics without really having the "massive multiplayer" bit. The last time I made random friends with people was basically in WotLK
Ok I think I understand you now. It's interesting, he never actually formulated it as "it's not an MMO anymore" but he does complain often about how everyone now sits in the town hub, that there's no real world pvp anymore (he showed me some, uh, pretty impressive videos of old game pvp), he doesn't meet many people out in the world, those you do meet ignore you and don't even try to interact, and so on... in other words exactly what you said, the elements that make it "massive multiplayer". I can see why it'd be disheartening, especially if this used to the most enjoyable aspect of the game.

Anyway I'm gonna leave the argument, as I don't have much of substance to contribute as a second-hand observer. And I'm more interested in the arguments brought forward by TedNugent.

Ninjerk

Arcane
This is something that frequently comes up from one of my friends actually. He really does miss the community aspect that you describe (he was a p. good healer apparently, and was well known on his realm) but according to him the pre-dungeonfinder (not LFR; whatever it's called, the one that lets you find others for non-raid dungeons) days frequently involved sitting on your ass trying to recruit people for your group, then as soon as your group is ready someone has to go, then you spend another 5 minutes filling in that spot, then your tank leaves and you spend another half hour finding one.... honestly it makes it sound like the most boring waste of time ever. And keep in mind this all comes from someone who liked the game as it was and still misses the community aspect.

Not only just having to sometimes find another person because someone had to do something unexpectedly, but you had to assemble this group through whatever means you had available (city/trade chat, guild chat, friends that you leveled with, etc.) but you could often spend 15+ minutes travelling there. I think the main difference is because everyone who stuck around for this understood what a pain in the ass it was, you generally (not always) could/would group up with people who would value your time by not leaving in the middle of an instance (some Vanilla instances were also larger and slightly less linear than BC and WotLK instances, I don't remember any Cataclysm instances).

Also, if you happened to be doing a Blackrock Spire instance you might be unfortunate enough to go at the same time someone on the opposing faction (PvP servers only, mind you) was organizing a raid, which meant you might have to wait or fight your way to the instance.

A lot of the conveniences that were introduced as far as I played WoW really served to shrink the world a bit since you would rarely have to run to the instance itself past a certain point (WotLK?). Still, some of the sense of the grandeur of the world was in fact due to it being new.

Angthoron

Arcane
To me these are extremely essential elements in a game. Maybe my vision is too single player one-sided but I cannot imagine investing years in a game where any of these design elements was lacking. Maybe that's why I could never get into any MMO (not just WOW mind you). I guess for those of you who do, the community aspects are good enough to outweigh whatever is lacking in the mechanics or design departments - kinda like enjoying Arcanum for what it does really well despite the combat?
Well, I'd say it has something in common with how many on Codex perceive older RPGs - many will say they have shit interface, are hard to get into, many mechanics are clunky and undeveloped, and there's a ton of bugs, but there'll still be an experienced group that will say that it's possible to look past the issues and find a gem underneath that. I'm not saying WoW was a gem in Vanilla - but otherwise, the situation is kind of similar. And yeah, many people were frustrated with Vanilla class toolsets, but I was actually not one of those people.

however, lack of LFG, LFR and various other search tools meant that the players had to interact with each others.
Well, thing is, if you were in a nice group, you'd frequently not mind that you're wasting your time waiting for a group to gather. Some of my most fun dungeon experiences came from spamming Trade with various witty variants of "Rogue looking for group", which were in fact so successful that my prior-to unknown rogue alt quite quickly became a welcome guest in any dungeon, lots of random whispers to join BRS/Strat/Scholo runs as soon as I'd log in, even. Then it'd be shooting bullshit with guys in party chat, and then the mandatory half an hour gryph flight to the dungeon with more chatting. I dunno, to me it was actually kinda fun. Hell, sometimes we'd kick out an obvious douche and wait another half an hour til someone's friend would come along. Granted, I had a lot more time back then, but meh - one fun but slow run per evening, or six boring bland banal shit ones, I might still take the first option. Gear's still not that much of a factor. In fact, this is why I don't consider Challenge Modes at all - there's absolute zero of communal activity there, just rush rush, usually done by a preset group on voice chat. Meh.

You had to get yourself attractive to others in order to come to L60 runs that wouldn't suck massive cock unless you wanted to be that last-moment filler; failing that, you had to actually have friends that'd take you along. Point is, you do not have this aspect now. It's not an MMO, really. It's a hub for a set of minigames based on the same mechanics without really having the "massive multiplayer" bit. The last time I made random friends with people was basically in WotLK
Ok I think I understand you now. It's interesting, he never actually formulated it as "it's not an MMO anymore" but he does complain often about how everyone now sits in the town hub, that there's no real world pvp anymore (he showed me some, uh, pretty impressive videos of old game pvp), he doesn't meet many people out in the world, those you do meet ignore you and don't even try to interact, and so on... in other words exactly what you said, the elements that make it "massive multiplayer". I can see why it'd be disheartening, especially if this used to the most enjoyable aspect of the game.
Yeah, it's the massive multiplayer bit that I'm missing from this whole thing. I used to run a huge invite-only RP guild, lots of nice folk just randomly met by interacting in the world or dungeons, some occasional dumbfucks too, but those got quickly weeded, now, my social interactions in WoW are pretty much limited by the raid group I'm in - the RP scene on my server was retarded and now is dead, even the Trade chat is pretty much just the occasional guild ad, everything's atomized and between those atoms is a huge goddamned void. So why am I paying a sub to what boils down to be a non-MMO?

Also, yeah, there was some amazing world PvP, mostly in Ashenvale, Hillsbrad and Barrens. Again, lacked a lot of tools of today, and you'd actually get permanent "dishonorable kill" points by accident, but it somehow felt at least slightly more relateable than all the instanced fighting going on now. Of course, it was also frustrating for a lot of people that just wanted to level, and had the misfortune of accidentally wandering into a war zone/getting ganked/healing someone and toggling their PvP state/waiting for NPCs to respawn.

Anyway I'm gonna leave the argument, as I don't have much of substance to contribute as a second-hand observer. And I'm more interested in the arguments brought forward by TedNugent.

Well, what he brings up is all valid - the new content obviously gets added, for an MMO in its 9th year, they have to add things to keep afloat, but the issue is that it's often too disconnected from the rest of the game. I'll briefly go through the stuff he'd mentioned and comment my opinion on them:

1) Ranked Battlegrounds - cool, but I already am done with PvP since Vanilla, from which I hold a Lieutenant-Commander rank, 3 ranks short of highest, so eh. If you're into PvP, you'll be PvPing no matter the system anyway. One thing I'm glad about though is that PvP gear is finally viable in PvE unlike the last 2 expansions where it was completely gimped for anything but that.
2) Brawling - cool, but first of all, SOLO content, this is an MMO, right? Second, I lost my interest in it fairly quickly - it's basically a DPS check in a bunch of gimmick fights that test your ability to deal with one or two special mechanics that are/were present in dungeon/raid encounters before. DPS check aspect is quite high, by the way - you need to defeat the boss in one minute or so, or it's "Sudden death", which means you lose. Not an issue for me since I have raid gear, but eh. One thing I definitely do approve about it is that it's an open-world queue, so while one guy is fighting, everyone else waits/watches outside, awaiting their turn. That I liked quite a lot.
3) Challenge modes - like I mentioned before, I hate timed runs. Only timed runs I kinda sorta tolerated were timed Baron runs in Vanilla, because you could get extra loot for it if you actually got through in time. Plus the timer was still pretty lenient to consider a couple of total wipes and endless drinking on healer part. Poor Vanilla healers, though - their virtual kidneys must be fucked. Also, why isn't the regular content even halfway this challenging?
4) Scenarios - well, this just a result of friend circles getting smaller. Before, you could get a 5-man, now, you get a 3-man. It's nice enough, but eh. Even heroic scenarios aren't particularly challenging, unless you're fresh and wear all-blues.
5) Arena - never was my thing in particular, I prefer larger teams. But that's my thing, a lot of people enjoy it, and it's pretty good for what it's worth. Was fun to lead AB/WSG pugs back when everyone was from your server - people knew that being a complete dumbfuck would actually backfire pretty harshly.
6) Rares - nice to have them back, though sadly not much use out of them beyond weekly quest tokens and levelling a friend quickly.
7) World bosses - only one worth mentioning is Oondasta because people didn't understand it for the longest time, and it led to hundreds of hilarious deaths and trollery in the first weeks of it being added. The rest, well, pushover. I guess it's more fun on PvP servers with this stuff though, when an opposing faction arrives to gank you.
Added: 8) Pet battled - I just have to ask, WHY? I mean... No, why? What does this have to do with fucking anything? Even adding Hearthstone into WoW proper would make more sense. I mean, it's nicely implemented and has some remastered tracks from WC2 that I enjoy hearing, but why the fucking fuck?
Added: 9) The Farm - cool idea, but oh god, the fucking "minigames" on weeding out the plants is just such a deal-breaker, I don't think there's anyone out there that finds it fun. Find me a person that does and I'll give them a Darwin Award. Also, it's phased out so that your friends can't visit you there like ever. How am I supposed to cyber chat in private like that?

Still, it doesn't fix the fact that these are all elements. Most of these you don't even need to go into the world for - just camp at your capital/Shrine and that's it, it pops.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
People formed these things called 'guilds.' They still have them in WoW but I'm not sure what they're for... mostly just people spamming invites to increase guild rank for perks. Yes, raiding could be an issue back in 'teh day' but if you were in a good guild you almost always had enough people to form quality 5/10 man groups. Early/mid vanilla had a lot of 'quality of life' issues. Most of these were ironed out by TBC which is why I call it the zenith of WoW: it eliminated a lot of the tedious shit but kept the challenge. It also had the most raid and dungeon content of any of the expansions.

1. Challenge modes - they just applied the Zul'Aman bear run to five mans (okay, so that was TBC not vanilla).
2. Heroic Raids - they had those in vanilla... they were called raids. They only need a distinction because they made the 'normal' modes 'accessible' to the masses.
3. Heroic dungeons - these were formally introduced in TBC (and were actually challenging unlike Wrath and beyond heroics) and, much like 'heroic' raids, they had these in vanilla... they were just called dungeons. Stratholme, Scholomance, Upper/Lower Blackrock spire, BRD... these were all hard to do before multiple hits with the nerf bat.
4. Arena - ruination of PvP. They should have put out rated battlegrounds a lot sooner but I guess the e-sport pressure was strong to put in shitty enclosed deathmatches. In a game where balance is so elusive it's moronic to have 2v2 and 3v3 arena fights.
5. Brawler's Guild - okay idea, shitty implementation. Not instances so you have to wait in line if tons of other people are doing it. Oh... their great solution to that? Sell the invitations on the 'fake/black market' auction house and watch them go to those who have hundreds of thousands of gold to spend. In half a year or so I'm guessing invites filtered to most of the people who got them but... eh. And, like Angthoron said, it's a fucking MMO, I'd rather them spend more time developing dungeons.
6. Tol Barad/Wintergrasp/Rated Battlegrounds - one of the few good ideas they've had in a while.

Shit like the farm and now garrisons... it's just mindless Farmville crap developed by all those ex Zynga or Zygna or w/e the fuck they're called employees that Blizzard hired after they got laid off.

Angthoron

Arcane
6. Tol Barad/Wintergrasp/Rated Battlegrounds - one of the few good ideas they've had in a while.
Oh yeah, TB/WG were cool. There's no such zone in current content though, or is there? TB was Cataclysm, WG was WotLK. Both are outdated now.

Pretty much agreed about the "heroic" stuff - previously it was normal. And even then it was harder than the current heroics. Last hard ones were the ICC 5-man HCs in WotLK, really. And we're now after they promised to make heroics more heroic.

Zeriel

Arcane
As opposed to dumbfucks casually trolling

Wilian is the only one thus far whose provided a legitimate response. The rest of you are just bleating or trolling

Which should make them right at home with you, shouldn't it? I mean, that's all you've been doing: trolling.

That old "you can't criticize the game until you've done everything in it" chestnut is so ridiculous. Not because I can't leap through the hoop (as a hardcore nolife faggot I have no problem there) but because once you do leap through the hoop and try and criticize it, that argument metamorphisizes into "lololol, guess you love the game if you played it for that long".

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Metro said:
5. Brawler's Guild - okay idea, shitty implementation. Not instances so you have to wait in line if tons of other people are doing it. Oh... their great solution to that? Sell the invitations on the 'fake/black market' auction house and watch them go to those who have hundreds of thousands of gold to spend. In half a year or so I'm guessing invites filtered to most of the people who got them but... eh. And, like Angthoron said, it's a fucking MMO, I'd rather them spend more time developing dungeons.

I will have to disagree with this. I thought Brawler's Guild idea and implementation was one of the better things they did for WoW since forever.

It's first time in longest time I've seen strangers gathering somewhere with common purpose, buffing each others, giving tips, ressing failures, cheering and watching as people have their own attempts and at the same time observe how some mobs possibly behave if they haven't gotten that far yet.

It's also first time in long time when they tried to tie a new mechanic to actual world as if such thing existed within the WoW itself instead of being just button push on UI which is also a step in right direction. For me, filtering users via Black Market, random drops from the new daily area and then gifted invitations by those who "won" the whole thing didn't feel out of place at all.

Overall, for that "community feels" I find that the inconvenience of waiting your own turn was well warranted and not everything has to be strictly dungeons to be part of good MMO experience such as I found this to be.

TedNugent

Arcane
Wilian, what you said earlier about the community aspect of the pre-raid and leveling content being gone was 100% accurate. The community aspect has moved entirely to the end-game content.

There is nothing left as far as community for the 1-90 grind as well as the pre-raid gearing experience for the last three xpacs. It's effectively a solo experience. I can speak from experience because I came in late on the final content patch on Wrath, Cata, and MoP and I had to gear myself solo in order to get a raid slot.

On the other hand, it took me roughly 2 weeks on average to get a normal mode raid slot on a non-progression guild on Nazgrel-US, whereas by contrast I tended to spend probably 10 times that trying to get normal mode clears with guilds or pick-up groups. I recall that in Wrath, when I got my reg mode LK kill, it took us two straight days of swapping out pugs. Me and another guy were the only ones left from the initial raid group. Every other raid slot had been swapped out multiple times before we got our kill.

Xenich

Cipher
Last time I played It was Cata, I played a Pally and Mage in the old days Raiding (MC/BWL/BC), then a warlock during Wrath, and a Death Knight tank during Cata. Did Max raid on everything each time. Game is fucking pathetically easy and a complete waste of fucking time.

TedNugent

Arcane
Yeah, I am a Wrath baby. I did play vanilla, but only until level 30 or so, and the next time I played was during 3.0, which i think was the Naxxramas Redux patch. All I remember was that Ulduar was current when I hit level 80.

I was kind of pissed, because I wanted to raid Black Temple, and everyone was telling me to "shut up and just hit 80."

TedNugent

Arcane
https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/479436625361911808

Andwhirlwind_zps34e1ed99.jpg

These new designers don't have a clue.

Zeriel

Arcane
"From sort of brainless to lobotomized."

The history of Blizzard in a nutshell.

Avellion

Erudite
Blizztard are on a skill pruning (which is totally not dumbing down according to the devs), in fact warriors were not even hit the hardest.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/13423478/warlords-of-draenor™-alpha-patch-notes-june-18-6-18-2014#ability_prune

I like one of the comments on that page,

Fun fact: I pasted the notes in Microsoft Word and did a word search. The word "remove", and similar derivatives such as "removed" and "removing" appears 238 times.

and while I am at it.
  • Garrisons take place in only one zone and only serve as a phased quest hub with 0 customization.
  • Garrisons had a cash shop functionality, until it got leaked and blizzard went into full damage control mode.
Fine, but WoW is still the king of content,
  • Has less raid content than any previous expansion, between level 90 to 100 there are only 4 dungeons. Which all look extremely short.
  • Quests are replaced by events that occur once, and disappear once done leaving zones empty
  • The vast majority of promises have been cut or to be heavily toned down.
  • Black Temple is just a quest hub and nothing more. Same goes for Frostwolf keep.
All dat copy paste
  • Faction cities are copy paste of what we have seen before.
  • The vast majority of creatures are just copy paste of what we have already seen before, some are somewhat remodelled however, but dont expect any interesting new designs or animations. Because that is too much work for Blizzard.
  • New models only have one new face, with the new options being different textures for said face model.
  • Some portions of zones are entirely copy pasted from what existed in TBC.
Seeing as this is graphicscodex
  • Distant objects are 2d jpg objects.
  • Did I mention no new animations.
Lets get into dumbing down here
  • Each spec will have roughly 10 skills, though I hear some people say it is closer to 7 or 8. Each healer will have 5 healing spells, save for the monk which will have 4.
  • CC has been effectively removed from PvP.
  • Buffs and Debuffs have been homogenized even more than what they are in Guild Wars 2.
  • Removed stats because they were about mitigating a penalty rather than making you stronger.
  • Stats are all literally now all about +damage and +hp. No crit chance or anything similar.
  • Raid utililty for most of the part has been removed.
Edit: Forgot to mention. They are removing several core abilities of each class, so yes, the new developers clearly dont have a clue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom