Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Worldstone Chronicles (formerly Journey for the Crown) - Fantasy Open-World Isometric RPG with RTwP Combat

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
Don’t understimate “tactility” of UI. Gay minimalistic UI which makes whole game looking like a mod toolset is the main reason why I won’t touch Solasta even with the two-meter pole.
Would you mind giving some examples of good and bad? I see Solasta game has a kind of opaque-looking UI that is more modernized. Not much of a fan of that, but it still looks as if it considers all other UI features in mind such as accessibilty, and consistency, and appears to be responsive.

We sort of touched on UI before in this thread and I was cautioned to not jump into one opinion as UI tastes scatter quite a bit. So I'm not going to change something without real good reason.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Don’t understimate “tactility” of UI. Gay minimalistic UI which makes whole game looking like a mod toolset is the main reason why I won’t touch Solasta even with the two-meter pole.
Would you mind giving some examples of good and bad? I see Solasta game has a kind of opaque-looking UI that is more modernized. Not much of a fan of that, but it still looks as if it considers all other UI features in mind such as accessibilty, and consistency, and appears to be responsive.

We sort of touched on UI before in this thread and I was cautioned to not jump into one opinion as UI tastes scatter quite a bit. So I'm not going to change something without real good reason.
this is easy:

non-EE Baldur's Gate 1/2, IWD: GOOD
Diablo 1 and, to a lesser degree, 2: GOOD
NWN: Burn it with fire

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer

this is easy:

non-EE Baldur's Gate 1/2, IWD: GOOD
Diablo 1 and, to a lesser degree, 2: GOOD
NWN: Burn it with fire
So you want the U-shaped UI? I like the old UI designs, but it was discussed earlier that it's not practical with screen sizes. If you have something a little more concrete like a specific action bar I'm all ears, but what I'm gathering here isn't helping. I do appreciate the feedback. Thx

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
So you want the U-shaped UI?
No, they want wooden panels for textures in UI, stuff like this. Like it's made of real materials. They're not asking for a specific shape of UI.

Lev Grossman, a fantasy writer, when talking about the appeal of fantasy said something I found interesting. He said the modern world would look alien to us if we didn't know it so well. After the 80s, the form of the objects stopped expressing what the function of the object was. For example, you can look at an iphone and have no idea what it does just by looking - it could very well have come from a different planet. But look at an axe and you know instantly what it is and what it does. So after the world started becoming alienating in the 80s, the appeal of fantasy started going up. Fantasy is a gateway to an old, traditional, recognizable world. So if you accept Grossman's point, a desire for skeumorphism is very harmonious with a fantasy game, I think.

Last edited:

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
So you want the U-shaped UI?
No, they want wooden panels for textures in UI, stuff like this. Like it's made of real materials. They're not asking for a specific shape of UI.

Lev Grossman, a fantasy writer, when talking about the appeal of fantasy said something I found interesting. He said the modern world would look alien to us if we didn't know it so well. After the 80s, the form of the objects stopped expressing what the function of the object was. For example, you can look at an iphone and have no idea what it does just by looking - it could very well have come from a different planet. But look at an axe and you know instantly what it is and what it does. So after the world started becoming alienating in the 80s, the appeal of fantasy started going up. Fantasy is a gateway to an old, traditional, recognizable world. So if you accept Grossman's point, a desire for skeumorphism is very harmonious with a fantasy game, I think.
Alright, that sounds doable! Thanks for the comment.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I get it for a cooking game or say a VR game
Why? I may misunderstand the skeuomorphic term but isn't it just classic "book for journal", "compass for map" or "weapon rack for inventory" framed with the "natural' elements of marble and wood and precious stones? Spellbooks looking like books with all the tattered pages and thematic bookmarks? Take the Siege of Avalon as an example.

Yes, skeuomorphism in an RPG just means having icons that visually resemble the things they represent in the game, as is customarily done with computer graphical user interfaces, for example in the Intuition GUI of the Commodore Amiga (1985):

intuition-amiga-05786912-dee8-4695-bb8a-a40cbd0b76b-resize-750.jpg

Or a little more creatively by having different parts of the interface resemble a relevant item, as can be seen for two of the three UI components in Faery Tale Adventure (1986), where text information appears on a background resembling a scroll and the compass resembles an actual object:

kjzBMpr.jpg

You've been missing out on a solid Tactical RPG. :rpgcodex:

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
I get it for a cooking game or say a VR game
Why? I may misunderstand the skeuomorphic term but isn't it just classic "book for journal", "compass for map" or "weapon rack for inventory" framed with the "natural' elements of marble and wood and precious stones? Spellbooks looking like books with all the tattered pages and thematic bookmarks? Take the Siege of Avalon as an example.

Yes, skeuomorphism in an RPG just means having icons that visually resemble the things they represent in the game, as is customarily done with computer graphical user interfaces, for example in the Intuition GUI of the Commodore Amiga (1985):

intuition-amiga-05786912-dee8-4695-bb8a-a40cbd0b76b-resize-750.jpg

Or a little more creatively by having different parts of the interface resemble a relevant item, as can be seen for two of the three UI components in Faery Tale Adventure (1986), where text information appears on a background resembling a scroll and the compass resembles an actual object:

kjzBMpr.jpg

You've been missing out on a solid Tactical RPG. :rpgcodex:
Thanks so much. I think this is great and extremely helpful. I'll have to see what I can do at some point with the UI and recall some tips here. Thanks all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Tons of new updates in this 25th devlog series. 2 new scenes, line of sight mechanic added, passive enemies, reputation checks and trigger and disarm traps is now part of the game!

bionicman

Liturgist
Only now found out about this game, as a fellow game dev I'm impressed. Nice work!

The first video is great, thanks.

He says Canadian government grants require you to have trannies in the game. Had a good laugh at this. Really didn't know. The dev says he has none of it, thankfully.

As a sort of response to the video:
I personally did go down the route of "release your unfinished game on the marketplace in form of assets", but it's not as easy as you perhaps make it sound. I sold a sort of an "RPG Kit", but while your game may require a specific/original implementation of a lot of mechanics, the marketplace kits require a generic implementation, plus a highly flexible architecture, which takes a lot of extra time. The two approaches don't mesh, so you want to sell your game engine, but you end up rewriting most of it and half a year later you realize you're not working on your game anymore. And ending up as an asset maker is a terrible career path if you're excited about making games. I spent years making assets, because it's a quicker buck, but it's like selling your soul. I wish I could quit it, but it pays, so I can't afford to.

You also make self funding sound a bit easier than it is. It implies maintaining a day job, and working on your game in your spare time. I know a lot of indies who tried that, and realized they have zero energy left after a day's work, eventually dropping out of the gamedev entirely. Part time job would do the trick, but how many part time jobs in IT have you heard of? I've never seen one. Which I think is an absolute shame, that it's a binary function: either you work full time or you don't work for us at all.
You're very blessed to have the energy to do this kind of stuff. Most people don't. It's probably something hormonal, but at this stage, the medicine doesn't know how to make all people as energized.

As for Epic grants, they're actually not as hard as you think. We've got one for $20k and our game director who was in contact with Epic didn't even speak English, so I can only imagine how limited the pitch was. A playable demo and half a page of description at most. Then a representative contacted him and they talked on Skype for an hour (a local representative, who knew the local language). I think that was it.

Thanks for sharing your well structured thoughts, though. Good stuff.

Could you share a link to your rpg kit?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The title of the game is no longer "Journey for the Crown", It's "Worldstone Chronicles" now

Hey all, just a heads up so you're not alarmed or unsure by the random facebook page. I'm in the works of renaming my socials and game to fit the future of the game better. Journey for the Crown is going to be an update to the game which is now called "Worldstone Chronicles" Once I complete this update, I'll have more stories down the road and more content to enjoy!
Thanks!

420656561_911677314293507_5732936098835820706_n.png

bionicman

Liturgist
forgot to mention that I've played the demo yesterday JFTC-Scott, I don't know how updated it is, but here's some feedback: I like the graphics/art style, the story, the inventory management, exploration, and character creation but what I didn't like is the combat. It felt kind of boring. When fighting those ghouls at the start of the demo, I would just set my character to attack one of the ghouls, and then set the priest guy to heal my character and just wait forever for the combat to be finished. Maybe you could make the combat a lot faster by dramatically reducing the total HP of characters? I guess the combat gets more fun with a bigger party and more interesting enemies but this demo kind of leaves a bad first impression, so maybe you should make it more fun somehow, idk

also, there's a bug in the demo right now where you can walk out of the map on the top right side of the map, I accidentally left since I missed to click the icon for traversing the map and the pathfinding/navigation led the characters outside of the map

anyways, it's impressive what you accomplished so far otherwise

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
forgot to mention that I've played the demo yesterday JFTC-Scott, I don't know how updated it is, but here's some feedback: I like the graphics/art style, the story, the inventory management, exploration, and character creation but what I didn't like is the combat. It felt kind of boring. When fighting those ghouls at the start of the demo, I would just set my character to attack one of the ghouls, and then set the priest guy to heal my character and just wait forever for the combat to be finished. Maybe you could make the combat a lot faster by dramatically reducing the total HP of characters? I guess the combat gets more fun with a bigger party and more interesting enemies but this demo kind of leaves a bad first impression, so maybe you should make it more fun somehow, idk

also, there's a bug in the demo right now where you can walk out of the map on the top right side of the map, I accidentally left since I missed to click the icon for traversing the map and the pathfinding/navigation led the characters outside of the map

anyways, it's impressive what you accomplished so far otherwise
I appreciate you taking a peek at the demo. The current demo is old and I'm in the middle of fixing up a new one with a larger demo.

Combat is by far the most unique thing about the game, and I also agree it's too slow in the demo, especially if you played a fighter class. I have added more enemies in the demo and reduced their health by a large percentage, so it feels like more action is happening while still being easy for players who aren't familiar with the game mechanics. From what I gather you figured it out quickly while some others did not. The game does get much more involved later as you expand your team. There are about 20 characters to play, and 5 max can be active in your group at any time. It starts to get quite involved as you need to manage more players.

Much more has been added to the game that the demo will not have yet, so hopefully when I fire this update out you'll give it another go and let me know.

If there is anything else you can think of let me know. Thanks so much.

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
should've renamed it to Copper Dreams
Not sure why that would be better.
The name change was something I wanted to do for a while as the game will have many stories in it. Journey for the Crown will be released with Worldstone Chronicles as an update to the game, and I'll be adding more updates with more content later.

Worldstone Chronicles ties to the story and your character and will make more sense later on.

bionicman

Liturgist
The name change was something I wanted to do for a while as the game will have many stories in it. Journey for the Crown will be released with Worldstone Chronicles as an update to the game, and I'll be adding more updates with more content later.

Worldstone Chronicles ties to the story and your character and will make more sense later on.
It was just a joke about another rpg, Mechajammer. It used to be called Copper Dreams (which sounds better), but at some point the devs renamed it. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...yberpunk-rpg-from-whalenought-studios.103709/

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer

It was just a joke about another rpg, Mechajammer. It used to be called Copper Dreams (which sounds better), but at some point the devs renamed it. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...yberpunk-rpg-from-whalenought-studios.103709/
Ah ok I didn't know about their new stuff, but I played their game Serpents of Staglands way back. I thought it was a cool game and had new and unique elements to it. A small wife and husband combo made it. I'm jealous, I wish my wife was a dev!

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm jealous, I wish my wife was a dev!
My wife's a dev. The only two ways we ever make games:
- We start with the same vision, but diverge heavily within a week and no party wants to compromise, so we branch out into different projects and stop collaborating.
- Or we keep to the same vision, but she drops out after 2 months, cause she found some shiny new idea she wants to explore

Wife dev is not a guarantee of collaborative game development, unfortunately.

JFTC-Scott

Cover Club Media
Developer
- We start with the same vision, but diverge heavily within a week and no party wants to compromise, so we branch out into different projects and stop collaborating.
- Or we keep to the same vision, but she drops out after 2 months, cause she found some shiny new idea she wants to explore

LOL I can see that being the case. Perhaps solo isn't so bad after all. :)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Sounds familiar. In our home business, at least 20% of my day-to-day is finishing projects my wife started and then got tired of halfway through. Just never bring that little reality up when she comes up with another new idea that she'll totally take ownership on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

New Demo Release!
In this devlog I discuss several new changes, while I prepare the game for a demo release.
Journey for the Crown is a new CRPG that is coming soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom