Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Worst travesties in the genre?

Codex Year of the Donut
Pillars of Eternity. For a game that was a kickstarter darling and all that, i really don't get why it's considered to be so good. Everything about the game is just so... bland. Don't get me wrong, it's competent, but far from stellar like some people say it is. For a game about souls, it sure lacks a lot of just that. Combat is uninspiring, the writing tries so hard to tell so little in so many words (and then most of what it says is just bland and uninteresting), companions are boring, it has very little room for RP... yeesh. Don't know what all the fuss was about. I put ~10 hours into it and i'm done.

What a monumental disappointment that game was. They correctly identified nearly every short-coming to not only the IE games, but adaptation of turn based RPG games to real-time CRPG, yet came up with the totally wrong remedy in all instances. PoE is the greatest gaming heartbreak in history.
Admittedly i am enjoying PoEII much more than its prequel. It's improved across the board (Specially in combat department) and i'd say well worth a try. Still, it does suffer from some of the same issues PoE I has namely the obnoxious writing, and I believe it doesn't manage to fully realize its potential with the system design and world-reactivity. Still, not as atrocious as the first game and i find myself keep going back to it for the combat (while waiting for PFKM to get patched to get rid of the stutter bug).
PoE2 suffers from being attached to its predecessor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom