Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you consider playing Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession?

MonkeyLancer

Educated
Years ago I had tried a short-lived attempt at playing Menzoberranzan... Recently, I've pondered if Ravenloft: Strahd's and the Stone Prophet are an improvement. So I wanted to ask if Codexia, in it's collective wisdom would recommend them or not?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The Ravenloft games are better than Menzo IMO. UI and gameplay are very similar, but the setting is far more interesting than the endless mazes of Menzo. So depending on why you dropped Menzo, you may like these.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Re: Would you consider playing Ravenloft: Strahd's Possessio

MonkeyLancer said:
Years ago I had tried a short-lived attempt at playing Menzoberranzan... Recently, I've pondered if Ravenloft: Strahd's and the Stone Prophet are an improvement. So I wanted to ask if Codexia, in it's collective wisdom would recommend them or not?

Try it, why not? It definitely better than Menzo. Sadly, first time when I played it, I have very buggy version. And now it works too fast on my PIII-600. Sometime I should defeat my lazyness and install this game on P166MMX.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist

Fowyr said:
MonkeyLancer said:

Try it, why not? It definitely better than Menzo. Sadly, first time when I played it, I have very buggy version. And now it works too fast on my PIII-600. Sometime I should defeat my lazyness and install this game on P166MMX.

Or you, er...could use Dosbox.

chzr

Erudite
depends what you didn't like on menzoberanzan, but yes, r1 and r2 are more fun.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik

phanboy_iv said:
Fowyr said:
MonkeyLancer said:

Or you, er...could use Dosbox.
It works too slow on my rig (yes, this PIII is my main computer). And I don't need upgrade.

Menzoberranzan is definitely the weakest of the three. Actually, I enjoyed the first few areas of Menzo quite a lot, but once you are underground it is a boring slog through most of it.

I think as a complete experience Stone Prophet is probably the best structured and most unique setting (it isn't actually unique being Egyptian, just rarely used)

I always loved the atmosphere of Strahd's Possession most of all, and actually really enjoyed myself through the game. Sound effects, music and enemies are really well done for the mood, but the level indoor design can be tiresome (if only it was more like Doom). I also enjoyed the "unusually" written dialogue and the animated dialogue portraits, which were a strong point of all three games IMO.

I would choose Ravenloft over a game like DA:O or Oblivion easily.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Strahd's Possession is better than Menzo, which sadly isn't saying much.

It starts out alright, but it won't take long 'till it becomes one long and boring drudgefest through dungeons full of level-draining undead... and the only means to restore those lost levels doesn't become available until about 80% through the game, when you've killed most of the level-drainers.

Haven't tried Stone Prophet, so I can't comment on that.

Unkillable Cat said:
Strahd's Possession is better than Menzo, which sadly isn't saying much.

It starts out alright, but it won't take long 'till it becomes one long and boring drudgefest through dungeons full of level-draining undead... and the only means to restore those lost levels doesn't become available until about 80% through the game, when you've killed most of the level-drainers.

Haven't tried Stone Prophet, so I can't comment on that.

Just what I was about to say.

I didn't think much of any of them back when they were released. Your mileage may differ. They were part of the 'Great CRPG decline' which started in the mid 90's (perhaps a little before this).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Excommunicator said:
Menzoberranzan is definitely the weakest of the three. Actually, I enjoyed the first few areas of Menzo quite a lot, but once you are underground it is a boring slog through most of it.

I think as a complete experience Stone Prophet is probably the best structured and most unique setting (it isn't actually unique being Egyptian, just rarely used)

I always loved the atmosphere of Strahd's Possession most of all
All of this.

MonkeyLancer

Educated
They may have been made at the start of the 'Great Decline', they haven't gone over the precipice yet. With that it's been decided I'm giving them a go, I have a soft spot for importing characters and they I believe can be played 'BLOB' style ala EOB, and the setting is what is definitely piquing my interest most.

hehe The stone propher torrent definitely seems to be the cd version... strahd's possession I'm not so sure.

mondblut

Arcane
Despite EOB-like realtime travesty, they have amazing atmosphere and are truly scary. Infinitely better than Menzo, despite sharing engine and gameplay, and best Dungeon Master-type games ever produced as far as I am concerned. A must-play, both of them. If only for the music :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom