Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wow PlayStation Plus is a very good deal

Repressed Homosexual
You get multiple games for each PlayStation system you own, and the games are available from 1-3 months to a year. It's a good way to play through multiple games for very little money (only $50 a year). You also get discounts on almost every PSN game that's on sale. It will be an even better value when the PS4 is released.

I'm playing Wipeout, Uncharted, and the Aksys visual novel for which I've forgotten the name on my Vita, really good value. I'm going to look this up on my PS3 as well, and my PS4 when I get it later this year.

J1M

Arcane
You say that as if the tastes of the average codexer will somehow match the goals of the average sony marketing executive.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Humanity has risen! I thought you didn't have much time for gaming these days, which is why you don't post much outside /gd. Why are you spending your precious gaming time on free2play popamole games?

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
You get multiple games for each PlayStation system you own, and the games are available from 1-3 months to a year. It's a good way to play through multiple games for very little money (only $50 a year). You also get discounts on almost every PSN game that's on sale. It will be an even better value when the PS4 is released.

I'm playing Wipeout, Uncharted, and the Aksys visual novel for which I've forgotten the name on my Vita, really good value. I'm going to look this up on my PS3 as well, and my PS4 when I get it later this year.

It seems it's different in Canada. They give away 2-3 High budget game every month in my country. Some of them were even fairly new for a free deal like Ufo and Hitman.:)

deuxhero

Arcane
Don't worry, it will turn to shit when it's mandatory for peer to peer MP.

I actually felt it was an OK offer. The games it gives aren't horribly old/bad/obscure and are actually fairly new AAA titles. I never got it because I buy games years after they come out, my PS3 isn't my primary system and I'm not a subscription kind of person, but I had no problem with anyone who did (unlike those that pay for Xbox Live).

Fens

Ford of the Llies
isn't the catch, that you don't actually get to keep the games should you stop paying the monthly fees ?

so imagine you find your old ps3 in the cellar some years in the future and you think to yourself 'heh... there was one silly old popamole i have a fond memory of' ... well ... tough luck: servers are down or don't recognize your model anymore / game is no longer available / you need to pay again for stuff you've already bought / sony doesn't exist anymore and there's a man in a chinese uniform kicking in your door, because they finally traced your signal, because you tried logging onto the PSN

Repressed Homosexual
isn't the catch, that you don't actually get to keep the games should you stop paying the monthly fees ?

so imagine you find your old ps3 in the cellar some years in the future and you think to yourself 'heh... there was one silly old popamole i have a fond memory of' ... well ... tough luck: servers are down or don't recognize your model anymore / game is no longer available / you need to pay again for stuff you've already bought / sony doesn't exist anymore and there's a man in a chinese uniform kicking in your door, because they finally traced your signal, because you tried logging onto the PSN

It would be unfair otherwise because you would be getting dozens of games for $50 a year. You still have plenty of time to complete them.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

It would be unfair otherwise because you would be getting dozens of games for $50 a year. You still have plenty of time to complete them.

I'd rather own my games so no thanks.

Black

Arcane
I love paying for online, something that has been free for years. Sony are truly saviours of gaming.

Can't you just buy the games you want to keep? If I understand HHR's post, you pay $50 a year to have complete access to multiple games for a determined time, but they're not exclusive to this service.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Aren't what you mentioned above is essentially true for steam too? Except the monthly fee part ofc but i think they will stop requiring it when the ps4 hit the shelves.
afaik the monthly fee will be a permanent requirement for any online activity on the ps4, the games are only meant to make it easier to swallow

you're probably right about games i'd only want to complete once... but what about games i'd like to play, but don't have the time to do so right now... there is basically no more backlog of games you can revisit or play whenever you want with this scheme

Can't you just buy the games you want to keep? If I understand HHR's post, you pay $50 a year to have complete access to multiple games for a determined time, but they're not exclusive to this service.
you do have a point, but the complete access isn't complete, if it's time limited and can expire the second the month is over and you didn't pay or any time sony says so... even for games you had to download first on your box... you'll just have dead data on the hdd

this looks to me like sony is phasing out budget titles and cheaper re-editions of older games in favour of a constant paywall, which is pretend-attractive with 'free' games, that you don't get to choose and you don't get to own and you only get to play when sony says so

Horus

Arcane
Aren't what you mentioned above is essentially true for steam too? Except the monthly fee part ofc but i think they will stop requiring it when the ps4 hit the shelves.
afaik the monthly fee will be a permanent requirement for any online activity on the ps4, the games are only meant to make it easier to swallow

I was talking about the PS plus service for ps3 actually. Besides, didn't they abandoned payment based online service's after the whole Xbox one fiasco?

Horus

Arcane
you're probably right about games i'd only want to complete once... but what about games i'd like to play, but don't have the time to do so right now... there is basically no more backlog of games you can revisit or play whenever you want with this scheme

You're essentially paying money for renting games, you would probably paid the same if you rent it from other means so it's fair in my opinion. Besides you could simply get 500 gb Hdd and stuck it up to to your PS3 just to download everything you owned for playing later.

Repressed Homosexual
Yes, the service makes no pretenses about being more than a very extended rental service, so there's no problem with ownership in this case.

Also it gives you additional discounts on PSN sales, and those are yours to keep.

Repressed Homosexual
It's 50-75% sales, they are more than decent actually.

I reject 98% of the popamole garbage, but for some decent exclusives and Japanese games along with arcade games it's worthwhile.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Sony's sticking something into one of your orifices all right. But I'm pretty sure it isn't your mouth.

Repressed Homosexual
Look at how edgy you are.

I have nothing against console gaming, I grew up playing it. I like it, as long as the difficulty remains acceptable, and the gameplay is adapted to the medium. Some genres like arcade games, fighters and platformers are a better fit. Trying to shoehorn a shooter is frowned upon, though.

PlayStation Plus is a more than fair deal and a great way to play many games for a very cheap price, even to completion if you want to. It is never advertised as anything more than an extended rental service so there's nothing wrong with it. At least it's upfront unlike Steam and the like.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Yes, the service makes no pretenses about being more than a very extended rental service, so there's no problem with ownership in this case.
It is never advertised as anything more than an extended rental service so there's nothing wrong with it. At least it's upfront unlike Steam and the like.
doesn't say anything about being a rental service on the official page actually:

TGGBxqA.png

the asterisk leads to more asterisks btw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom