Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
mangsy said:

Ok. I've quickly put something together, which potrays some of my influences.

First, many many of the paintings of Zdzislaw Beksinski, one of the greatest artits poland ever came up with, give me inspiration for level and world design. I have put many influences into my actual maps, can't wait till you guys c an see it. Especially, since I don't have to rely on tiles or small scenery pieces anymore and just can freely edit everything how I want it. Second, it's a sample of a Lustmord Song. Everyone shall agree that Lustmord is simply breathtaking when it comes to Darkambient. Also, I am starting to love "Graham", the UK voice module I am using as placeholder for these GameOver narrations. :D

Anyway, here is the actual youtube link. And since youtube always fucks up my "beautifu"l distorted 8bit pieces, here's the original, with Beksinskis work in the middle. It is one of the many things you will find in Chicago. And don't worry, it's not really a spoiler. :)

gameoverapcum.png

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Thank you all again! :)

Good news! I will soon publish the first small Alpha build with limited access to the towns ingame etc to test out and fix bugs. I figured it would be easier to do bugfixing/alpha/testing in small steps, not in a huge mess aka "this is the final build - deal with it". So soon I'm seeking people wanting to look for errors everywhere, creating powerbuilds which I would normally not do etc. so I can balance the game around it. I will ofcourse post the link to it here then. ;) And since you all seemed to like this foggy thing, here's another one on the same map:

mountain4.png

You can see one of the many things to pass some certain area in the game, this one shows a Perception/Intelligence related character. The messages ("you sense danger") will differ or not show at all depending on your build. In this example, there are landmines for example. An uncautious/unexperienced character will die. :)

It is also now possible to put some (otherwise useless) dollars in the jingleboy you find in some bars after you repaired them. It's some kind of gimmick (omfg FO3/NV!!11) which let's you listen to some 50ies classics (ofcourse only royalty free ones..) This one should be familar to some folks (this one is already post processed, reverb/distortion+sfx added): http://www.zshare.net/download/922607248077b788/

Also, here is some track you will hear in the snowy, storm ridden part of WR, a canadian bordertown full of former deserteurs of the war: http://www.zshare.net/download/9225748690b90d7a/

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Excidium said:
Will the UI support higher resolutions?

The game is supposed to be played in 640x480 or 800x600 as the "developers choice" - means I am creating all maps, graphics etc in this res., because I think it's the truest to the FO graphics. playing on very high resolutions takes away the "claustrophobic" feel and makes the cities feel smaller. I officially support resolutions up to 1024x768, but everyone can do it much higher (in the .ini settings) without an ease. I think the maximum is something around 2000xblablabla pixels. Know, that these resolutions will fuck up the game, as they were never meant to be played in these resolutions, blocking hexes will cause errors, everything looks too clean compared to the original graphics etc. I really don't suggest playing on this.
ghostdog said:

Thanks. :oops:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's good that you can put any resolution you want in the ini settings. 848x480 is a good widescreen resolution to play the fallouts.

Pope Amole

Educated
I'm curious, can we hope to see new & different perks and, what's even more important, traits in the game, replacing or at least complimenting some of the old ones?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
must.wash.cumstains.from.underwear

Pope Amole said:
I'm curious, can we hope to see new & different perks and, what's even more important, traits in the game, replacing or at least complimenting some of the old ones?

Why are new skills needed, the original skills are great and could be greatly expanded upon?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Freelance Henchman said:
Surf Solar said:
Did some tests for game over screens (as the engine didn't have them). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVbUSM17lzQ The voice is just a placeholder (Text-to-voice program) but sounds pretty sinister with this UK tone nonethless.

Hey, can you tell me what program that is that makes the voice?

Yep, I used this one: http://www.naturalreaders.com/index.htm Just chose some good sounding UK voice and streamed the audio directly from that page. :oops: As it's just intended as a placeholder I think it's ok...

Pope Amole said:
]I'm curious, can we hope to see new & different perks and, what's even more important, traits in the game, replacing or at least complimenting some of the old ones?

I haven't touched any perks/traits yet, but some changes are planned yup. This is just to make sure that previously useless ones (like Pyromaniac, which gives you only +5 damage to a flamer which is ridiciously low for a perk rather late in the game..) become a bit more useful. Ofcourse if there are good suggestions for new ones I don't see a reason not to implement them, so, any idea? ;)
As for Traits I am not sure what to do with 'em yet. IMO - they should have even higher bonuses/mali and should work as some kind of "character background" that the NPC in the game react to. But I haven't touched this part of the game yet, so it might change.

Pope Amole

Educated
Surf Solar said:
Ofcourse if there are good suggestions for new ones I don't see a reason not to implement them, so, any idea? ;)

Well, I can only repeat things that I've said at the fonline forums long time ago - fallout would really benefit from some "tactical" perks, as I've called them. OK, "tactical" may be a stupid definition, I've just copied dnd's feats on this one, but still - I'd like to see some perks that don't just give +X to this or +Y to that, I want them to change combat mechanics significantly. I mean, I, as many other fans, have played F2 in any way possible, I mean, my last run was with skilled, fast shot character who had barter, sneak and speech tagged and who, for the duration of the whole game, had used nothing but flamer and rocket launcher. For Christ's sake, I've got two ironman runs for a melee and an unarmed character, one of which was highlighted with taking a whole cavern of SMG armed thugs with nothing but spear and a leather armour. I've explored every aspect of classic fallout's role playing and combat systems, so I want something fresh here.

And I'm sure that I'm not alone in this wish. So it would be nice to see some alternative combat perks, y'know - something akin to power attack, combat expertise, improved feint, imrpoved trip, improved disarm and similar feats in dnd. Maybe even some way to deal non-lethal damage to opponents, just for the LARPing. I know nothing about fonline's engine abilities so I completely don't understand how possible it's to do these things there, but it would be nice to see anything like that in your mod. Also some perk buffs to the underdog weapons - like yeah, fixing pyromaniac (giving it, like, +10 to critical rolls) and making such perks for throwing (throwing may even merit a sniper/slayer of its own), for demolitions (smth like explosives-only silent death), for rocket laucnhers, for laser weapons, for SMGs, more stuff for melee and unarmed... Basically, for everything that wasn't used so much in F1/F2.

Oh, and of course I hope that you'll fix the SPECIAL system since, in F1 & F2, ST, EN and CHA is absolutely worthless, and high PE and LU are necessary only for ranged characters.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I'm on some creative dead end at the moment and only do enviromental sounds, should be better to lay it off for 1-2 days so that the motivation can raise again. I thought I ask here for some minor improvements you always wanted in Fallout, something that isn't hard to fix/make but it wasn't possible in the old Fallouts... Any suggestions?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Not much to show lately unfortunately... Got some real life issues lately which sadly makes a mood where I'm pretty uncreative to keep on working on the stuff, staring at an empty design document all day isn't really funny. :( But I hope this is just temporary.

I also may need some proofreaders in the next few weeks, if anyone is interested, just drop me a line or a PM. It's not that much as there is already lots of stuff checked, but it never hurts to have a few more eyes checking the stuff...

And now to something completly different , a random "flyer", crafted out of genuine boredom. Might make some appearance ingame, not sure yet.

jazzeubx.png

Roderick

Savant
Surf Solar said:
Not much to show lately unfortunately... Got some real life issues lately which sadly makes a mood where I'm pretty uncreative to keep on working on the stuff, staring at an empty design document all day isn't really funny. :( But I hope this is just temporary.

I also may need some proofreaders in the next few weeks, if anyone is interested, just drop me a line or a PM. It's not that much as there is already lots of stuff checked, but it never hurts to have a few more eyes checking the stuff...

And now to something completly different , a random "flyer", crafted out of genuine boredom. Might make some appearance ingame, not sure yet.

jazzeubx.png

the flyer looks great but wouldn't it be better if it was some tribute to the inkspots??

anyway hope you can keep progressing on the mod soon. what you've shown seems amazing

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Surf Solar said:
I'm on some creative dead end at the moment

staring at an empty design document all day isn't really funny

Chances are, you get overwhelmed by all the possibilities of what you COULD DO, and find yourself lost trying to find what you SHOULD DO right now. It seems that you can go wrong in so many ways, so you get stuck trying to theorize the right way, and then the fear comes in.

If that is the case, let me offer some advice distilled from a river of tears.

Creating something terrible, RIGHT NOW, is 1000 times better than creating nothing at all.

Let's say you create a maze full of tight corridors and a premise that's entirely underwhelming. It's not just "a lot better" than nothing, it's MONUMENTALLY better.

You're struck by a sharp realization that you have opinions. Like a sonar ping, it lets you know where you are.

For example, now you know that your level has to have areas that can be easily identified, because you get lost, and to go easy on narrow corridors because your NPCs kill themselves with rocket launchers in them.

This gets you momentum. You make a new map, faster, and it's 5 times better. You change the premise to work with the map. Make areas more distinctive. Then you tweak it as new ideas hit you. And it keeps going, unless you let the momentum die.

--------------

Regarding design documents.

FUCK the documents. Here's why.

For example, you want an assassin to teleport behind a door when you do a dialogue option, and you document this and several similar occurrences as part of a whole quest chain, until you actually do it, and realize that Teleport() function in the engine was conceived with a different purpose in mind, and upon doing a Teleport(), the NPCs' home faction is set to the faction of the place he gets teleported to, so you can't make him attack anyone!

Then you go, oh fuck, now I have to make that NPC be always present in the room, ready to stab people in the back, and you go and update all the similar Teleport() occurrences in the document.

Don't start a mountain of theoretical documentation, because you will have trouble connecting it to gameplay. You can't tell in advance how it will work, whether the engine has the right tools to do a quest that way, etc etc. Update the document, update the script, update the document in every place that your new discovery affects... You will get lost in a constant feedback loop between theory and practice.

Put something in, make it work, and document it briefly. One quest.
Then another.

Make your "brief world description+whole narrative arc of the main quest" fit on one printed piece of paper in a normal readable font size. Put that piece of paper near you.

Go.

P.S. never make quests tied to other quests. If you have:

quest 1: bring NPC some petrol
quest 2: bring him matches so he sets himself on fire

DO NOT make quest 2 look up the "mission accomplished" status of quest 1. Instead, make it look up whether NPC has petrol (and thus is ready to ask for matches).

This will make the structure a lot more robust. If later you decide that the quest chain needs shortening, you delete quest 1 and plant some petrol on the NPC. You don't even have to touch quest 2.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
shihonage said:
Regarding design documents.

FUCK the documents. Here's why.

For example, you want an assassin to teleport behind a door when you do a dialogue option, and you document this and several similar occurrences as part of a whole quest chain, until you actually do it, and realize that Teleport() function in the engine was conceived with a different purpose in mind, and upon doing a Teleport(), the NPCs' home faction is set to the faction of the place he gets teleported to, so you can't make him attack anyone!

Then you go, oh fuck, now I have to make that NPC be always present in the room, ready to stab people in the back, and you go and update all the similar Teleport() occurrences in the document.
You can simply write :X Appears!: instead of teleport and then use Edit/Find & Replace to replace it with the proper script fragment when you know how the engine works.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That flyer looks great, maybe you can use it as one of those wall posters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom