Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WR - General Chit-Chatter/Tidbits

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finish THIS project first... then you can help ITS. :P

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Given that 99.9% of hobbyst efforts never get finished, it may be prudent to joint ITS first.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
But I agree with him, Jaesun. ;) I have seen so many ambitious projects rise and fall, that's a really sad thing that promising projects get canned most of the time if they are developed merely in the peoples spare time as a hobby. Also, motivation plays a great role. There was a point earlier this year where I wanted to can What Remains too. Why? Because due to a computer crash I lost almost 90% of my files. Didn't touch anything for a while, then, I decided it's worth the effort, and I recreated previous stuff. I for example don't work 24/7 on my game, as I would get insane doing that. Sometimes, doing some small work for others helps for a change, to keep the motivation up and running. I'm doing stuff for the FOnline:2238 team for example. Not saying that I now fill out a form for ITS or whomever, but if someone needs a bit help at stuff I have a bit experience with, I am the last person to say "no, I don't help you, I have my own shit to do." ;)

It's the same reason why I rather often post news and stuff about WR - to make people interested. This raises peoples expectations and I couldn't just say "oh, I just secretly screw the game, no one knows it anyway". It's creating artificial deadlines and pressure which kicks me in the ass and helps for motivation. :P

Quilty

Magister
This looks amazing! How the hell did I not spot this thread sooner? Try to post more often so we can keep this thread alive and draw more people in, and keep adding whatever you come up with in these early stages. I'm sure everyone would be more than happy to participate in a project like this. And give us a taste of your writing, don't worry if it's a WIP.

Also, I will personally give you a handjob if you finish this. It is the only bro thing to do. :salute:

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Though I shall not offer handjobs, I shall give you my support. You actually inspired me to finally man-up and do something.

Expect more misguided vapourware in the months to come, bitches. Vapourware cRPGs are Pollacks' favorite pastime. : x

empi

Augur
Oh yeah, you should join ITS, to make sure you finish the project. ITS always produce finished articles...

Anyway, looking really promising, keep up the good work!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If he becomes the sound/music guy for ITS, it'll be great for AoD and Dead State but not so good for this little project.

Ah well, can't have it all, I guess. Downloading the stuff now and if it compares with Mark Morgan's work, I'll :salute: you lots and lots.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Quilty said:
This looks amazing! How the hell did I not spot this thread sooner? Try to post more often so we can keep this thread alive and draw more people in, and keep adding whatever you come up with in these early stages. I'm sure everyone would be more than happy to participate in a project like this. And give us a taste of your writing, don't worry if it's a WIP.

Also, I will personally give you a handjob if you finish this. It is the only bro thing to do. :salute:

Thanks! :)

As far as writing goes, posting blank dialog files would be very boring, but I am working on some small showcase of a Choice/Consequence example, maybe I'll post it later today. I also have posted here ( http://whatremains.forum-aktiv.com/t15-update-090511 ) some introduction to one of the characters you'll meet in the game. If some people want to help with anything - sure thing, just send me a PM or so. ;)

If someone wants to do something with the FOnline engine I use, I can be of help too, just drop me a line.

Excidium said:
That's very fallouty. :thumbsup:

Thanks. :oops:
As for the AoD stuff - don't worry, I'll still find enough time to work on my own. ;) Created a batch of tracks, will send it to Oscar later.

Lately I have been toying around with several additional interface elements, here's the loot window:

pickup7n9r.png

Ideally, the items can now be sorted horicontally and vertically in 3 lines. This gives more space in the inventory and we don't have this clunky scrolling like it was in original fallouts. ;) 's not finished 100% though, there are some elements like scrolling arrows missing. I also have a hard time to create images for the buttons if you press on them, here are some examples I made (white pixels around "done" knob are just due to lazy cropping):

takeallynvm.png
doneon8r.png

As you can see, it's rather sub-optimal. If someone with experience in "button making" can give me some tips here I'd appreciate. :)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That looting window looks great. Expanded inventory is something I've always wanted for Fallout.

Just one thing, could you make the player and enemy inventory boxes have the same size?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Excidium said:
That looting window looks great. Expanded inventory is something I've always wanted for Fallout.

Just one thing, could you make the player and enemy inventory boxes have the same size?

Thanks!

And hm, both windows are of the same size technically (4 rows horicontally, 3 rows vertically) - amount of items placed there is the same. Or do you mean just for aesthetical purposes? You can scroll through more lists though, although I am not sure yet if I make the scrolling horicontally or vertically.

Also, asking again for someone to help me with this button problem. :P I'm having a hard time to make it look like something you just have pushed down - I only switched colors and it looks a bit sloppy...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
try an inner drop shadow with movement downwards and to the left or right as appropriate

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
0ae897ca6165ae5c9f298a6039bacec0.gif

:salute:

Thanks bro! Although I'm a bit ashamed that I didn't get that idea earlier as I was using inner shadows all the time. :oops: Anyway, now it's working and I can carry on.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Looks great!
Surf Solar said:
Excidium said:

Thanks!

And hm, both windows are of the same size technically (4 rows horicontally, 3 rows vertically) - amount of items placed there is the same. Or do you mean just for aesthetical purposes? You can scroll through more lists though, although I am not sure yet if I make the scrolling horicontally or vertically.
Yeah I mean for aesthetics, it would look better if both windows had the same shape.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Nothing much to show lately, as the status dropped into boring NPC stat editing and combat scripts, mercenary/follower scripts and so on. Thanks to 3d model support in the engine, it is possible to have prone/crouch stances, or smoke grenades (or other PE inducing actions) in the game. As you can see, I want to improve the Fallout gameplay elements too, ofcourse always having the best, JA2, in mind (when it comes to Turn based combat). I also tweaked lots of stats, such as ammo modifiers, or made new ammo types, like bean bag shotgun man stopping rounds etc. (giving target +60 to Damage Reduction, but having the "knockback" perk applied) I am also playing around with splitting "speech" into several sub-skills, to not make "lolskillcheck=instant win". (persuasion, intimdation, wits, etc)

Screenshotwise this one is pretty slim though. :/ Only got this one tile-testing here...

deshjz7fh3y.png

Showcase what can be done with 3d models (need to apply shaders to later make it one to other enviroment)

gausshjiu.png

@ below: Thanks, and dont worry. I'd rather die then to abandon this. I want to design/work on games in my future maybe? That's why I won't say "screw it, I woll going to be a plumber now". ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom