Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline WRPGs have hit rock bottom

Silverfish

Arbiter
historical

You already mention a couple of Spiders' games, but I'll throw GreedFall out as well, which is fantasy, but in the 1700's instead of typical medieval stuff.

huskarls

Scholar
Also it's weird to single out WRPG when I havent heard of a single good JRPG in forever.
"in forever" is a good way of phrasing it because I have a hard time thinking of a single good JRPG (that isn't considered a different subgenre in Japan, such as DRPG or SRPG) in all of history
japanophiles consider RPG a prestigious descriptor, like how olive garden will train its chef in italy and call themselves authentic italian because italian is an adjective for them. So in the same vein action games like dark souls 7 or zelda 9 or final fantasy 12 are called RPGs for them. their popa roll and movie games are just a trojan horse so they come in here and start talking about their lust for asian women and how their anime games are 'censorship free' from occidental degeneracy...

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
you obviously wasn't paying attention to dozens of non-fantasy rpgs out there.
Is there a handy index of genres, ratings and reviews or do I have to manually research each individual title you listed?
None that I would know of. But Codex is pretty helpful in this regard, as a rich base of knowledge about even the most obscure rpgs. So go and do your research. In this noble cause search button should become your best friend!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Like the woke Star Trek saga... the next frontier has yet to be explored.

THE WOKE FAGGOTRY INDUSTRY WILL ASSIMILATE ALL OF YOUR RPGS INTO THE "ANALS" OF NO RETURN! YOU ARE FUCKED!

They haven't barely started to bottom out. The norm will be beyond sickening and past times will wither to dust esp when they come door to door to destroy your archives and brainwash the next generations even more.

Old gaming won't even exist. So the bottom? Ha! They're just getting started.

Meanwhile, in modern games, you are a fucking UPS guy, following your GPS to go to some place and collect some shit without having the least bit of input into it. It's fucking disgusting.
This is an exceptionally good analogy.

I do think there is room in RPGs for thinks like quest markers and mini-maps, but they need to be brought in as game system features. Usually mental stats get neglected in CRPGs because they're more abstract. They could easily be tied to QoL features. For example, your INT or WIS being used to determine how long area on your (mini) map remains revealed unless you have a map of the area. Quest pings requiring a perception check to reveal. Journal entries containing more or less information depending on the character INT or WIS. Spell AoEs only being visually represented if you have a feat, etc.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think it actually speaks very well of a game when people start talking more in-depth about mechanics or quality of life features. In 70% of modern games I try, I bounce off in the first 20 minutes because it's just undiluted cringe.

Writing is 100% the biggest factor in the decline of the modern RPG. It's not even close.

you obviously wasn't paying attention to dozens of non-fantasy rpgs out there.
Is there a handy index of genres, ratings and reviews or do I have to manually research each individual title you listed?
Go to Codex List of RPGs thread, front page + last ~3 pages. Each game listed has a tag showing if its setting is (low/high) fantasy, sci fi, historical, contemporary, etc.

+ threads like the one Lord_Potato posted

Seethe

Arbiter
Another problem with WRPGs is that they’re oversaturated with D&D-styled fantasy. Even The Witcher has D&D races like elves and dwarfs and uses D&D-influenced spells.

Other genres are vanishingly rare.
Now go ahead and explain why this is not a problem in weebshit games.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
IMG_2533.jpeg

IMG_2532.jpeg

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Another problem with WRPGs is that they’re oversaturated with D&D-styled fantasy. Even The Witcher has D&D races like elves and dwarfs and uses D&D-influenced spells.

I’m completely burnt out on all those East Asian comics, cartoons and games that use a cookie cutter D&D template.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
What's annoying about shit like this is that it forces you to improvise as a psychotherapist. Facing hyperbole and rants like this gives the impression of very bad mental health and so you start feeling pity, which is a shit feeling. You have to ask if the person saying "X hit rock bottom" isn't just transfering themselves unto said X, and they probably are. There's a lot of this on this forum of course. Honestly I couldn't give a shit, because I don't actually like feeling pity or empathy, but there it is. You're asking me to care because you don't care. Fuck off. If you hit rock bottom, then go even deeper, down the earth, in the mud and the trash, where no light shines, no hope resides, and fucking stay there. Become something else. Evolve. When you've grown your tentacles, maybe your opinions will be worth something.
Stop it. Whether you're homeless, or you have a nymphomaniac girlfriend 15 years your junior and a 450 horsepower sports car, gaming currently blows all the goats. Yes, all of the fucking goats and maybe some donkeys. It just keeps getting worse. I visited this problem years ago, and the big-brains on here recommended Divinity: Original Sin 2 and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Both of those games ate the fucking corn out of my wet farts.

So I'm going to replay Baldur's Gate, and Gothic 2, and The Dragon Knight Saga, and Divinity: Original Sin, and Human Revolution, and Mass Effect, and Mankind Divided, and Icewind Dale, and Temple of Elemental Evil, and Risen, and Prey, and Deus Ex!
0RgjA5.gif

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

I mean, most of them don't even remotely resemble your bog standard fantasy. FF as a series has generally had a lot of steampunk/modern/sci-fi themes throughout. Dragon Quest is straight up fantasy but the last half dozen games or more have their own distinct atmosphere and setting with monsters co-existing with humans in many cases, and the monster designs have always been heavily on the goofy/comedy side of things. Seiken Densetsu series and some of the earlier Tales games had magic systems based around making pacts with elemental spirits you had to meet in person by exploring the world, instead of just automatically getting them from omnipresent gods or nature itself or whatever. SaGa Frontier's setting involves a whole mess of tiny themed worlds seemingly floating in the ether accessed with what amounts to spaceships. SMT3 takes place during an apocalypse and has you summoning and interacting with mythological creatures and characters from around the world, from Norse or Celtic to Hindu or Shinto.

Trying to find a weebshit game without elves or trolls is pretty trivially easy, to be honest.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I only just now saw this video that covers more than RPGs but damn, gaming is going in the drink by a lot of devs. Fuck wokism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom