Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF?! Why did they do that?!

Wulfstand

Prophet
Shannow said:
Not that I know. Wouldn't make sense either since you're neither continuing the Bhaalspan story nor is the character system the same.

BG 2 had some sort of random dialog pop-ups made by the producers, to show that they "cared for the gamer", in one of the reminding them that they needed to eat too (must have confused their game with ultima online or something, I dont know) and in one of those they said "The adventure doesn't have to end here, with our ongoing project NWN you can export your caracter unto more exciting adventures " or something like that. It would kinda make sens for my character, since I didn't choose to be a God, I chose to live a mortals life and bang the heck out of Viconia till she dies (they say it was poison, I say bullshit, dark elves can't take human virility). It would've been pretty nice too, since that'd mean that they would add Celestial Fury, The Soul Reaver, The Axe of the Unyealding, or The Holy Avenger (which appears in IWD and NWN 2, it has a interesting history I must say).

Divinity: Original Sin
In ultima 9, the revelation that all the evil the avatar purged from himself in ultima 4 had created a world dominating force called the guardian, a creature that conquered and ruled worlds times before the avatar were born.

And also, the avatar forgeting all about past ultimas in this same game. "What's an gargoyle?".

What a way to end a series.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ultima 9 had good visuals for its time and some fantastic music. The first dungeon is also quite fun, all things considered.

And that's about everything positive I can say about the game.

As for "WTF?" design moments - Serious Sam 2. 'nuff said.

Lucius

Novice
Baldur's Gate 2 is a chore to play. Hallways are always too tiny to navigate with a full party without the dumbshit AI having them walk back the way they came instead of just waiting until they can continue.

Melcar

Arcane
I always hated the pathfinding in EI games. Made having a full 6 member party fucking lame. 5 seemed to be the magic number in the BG games; in BG2 having less than 4 made the game boring (not enough party banter, characters grew too strong too fast killing the balance in the game, etc.).

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
I loved the shit out of Psychonauts.

But the goddamn Meat Circus. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Also the restart system in Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

(that is all)

(for now)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Shannow said:
Out of curiosity tho, I never really checked, could you actually import a character you made in bg 2 and play with it in nwn?
Not that I know. Wouldn't make sense either since you're neither continuing the Bhaalspan story nor is the character system the same.

Yeah it was just a PR bullshit. I've tried it back then - iirc the only bunch of things that was imported is a portrait, character bio and a name.

Luan

Educated
In NWN2, right click delay AS A FEATURE!!!!!

In Call of Duty series, infinite enemy respawns AS A FEATURE!!!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

LittleJoe

Arbiter
Any game that makes levelling up pointless, such as Oblivion and to a lesser extent IWD 2.

In Oblivion, if you play as a thief for example, your character could actually be WEAKER after levelling up!

In IWD 2 you get less, or sometimes NO experience points for killing enemies if you level up too fast.

Levelling up should be an event the player looks forward to, but it should also require some effort.

If you level up every 5 minutes it becomes too commonplace.

Kron

Arcane
The part in MGS 2 in which you run around naked, kicking soldiers while covering your cock with your hands.
Then again, azns' minds work in a whole different way, so I shouldn't be surprised.

Divinity: Original Sin
In Fallout 1, being under pressure by a time limit. It's a good thing there's a plenty of time to finish the game, and adds to the atmosphere... but only for the chip.

to have a better ending, you are forced by an arbitrary time limit inside of that 150 days time limit. It doesn't make sense that the most urgent thing is not the most urgent thing. To be true, in fallout 1 it makes sense, but gameplaywise, you may never know what you did wrong.

Even if you see everything ok in the necropolis, and you imediately erradicate the mutants threat, you still have an ending saying the supermutants destroyed the necropolis.

Well, time limits in general may be a very bad decision in any game, if it forces you to do things you don't want, or cheat.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Darth Slaughter said:
In Fallout 1, being under pressure by a time limit. It's a good thing there's a plenty of time to finish the game, and adds to the atmosphere... but only for the chip.

to have a better ending, you are forced by an arbitrary time limit inside of that 150 days time limit. It doesn't make sense that the most urgent thing is not the most urgent thing. To be true, in fallout 1 it makes sense, but gameplaywise, you may never know what you did wrong.

Even if you see everything ok in the necropolis, and you imediately erradicate the mutants threat, you still have an ending saying the supermutants destroyed the necropolis.

Well, time limits in general may be a very bad decision in any game, if it forces you to do things you don't want, or cheat.

it's really easy to get the water chip in 150 days.

i think most people here would support the fallout 1 time limit.

Melcar

Arcane
The first time I played FO I got killed by the time limit, but I was mostly fucking around the Hub. The second time, I managed to do most of the quests (this was without resorting to FAG, I mean FAQs and shit) in under 110 days.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I just got the water chip ASAP and came back because I knew that it wasn't the end of the game. Then I took my time with the rest of the game.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
this year, my biggest disappointment so far been DoW2. full of questionable design decisions....

....boss battles in singleplayer. cleary inspired by MMORPGs .... oh wait, clearly inspired by everquest 1 from 2001 because any half-decent mmorpg these days doesnt feature bosses as shitty as in DoW2 anymore which have hundred thousands of hitpoints requiring you to brainlessly repeat the same bland strategy over and over and over... oh noes, he s using a insta kill special ability, lets dodge it ! fits perfectly to the 40k universe too, 10 space marines firing 5 minutes straight at some puny eldar till he finally drops over. real immersion there baby.

...loot in singleplayer. hey guys, lets make this game like diablo. people love collecting loot ! especially if its the 215th powerarmor with useless stats to drop from some random orc.
this greatly enhances the replayability of a title where the last 2/3 of your first campaign already feel like a replay considering you re playing on the same maps over and over and over again with almost always the same mission structure....

its not like there have been other warhammer games *cough* chaos gate *cough* dark omen that perfectly showed how getting better equipment can be a great part of the game without such dumbfuckery as random loot drops.

...difficulty. only time this game feels somewhat 40kish is when playing on easy/sergeant - except thats no fun since the game is piss easy then
because the geniuses at relic of course took the easy route to difficulty balancing "lets bump up their damage and hitpoints!" in order to have at least some challenge you have to play the game not as space marines but as space frenchmen mashing the retreat button since a tyranid fart will be enough to kill whole squads. oh and enjoy some 10 minute boss battles.

still somewhat liked the game since i m a whore for 40k , heck i played and finished fire warrior so DoW2 couldnt beat me. but the facepalming was manyfold.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
ricolikesrice said:
this year, my biggest disappointment so far been DoW2. full of questionable design decisions....

....boss battles in singleplayer. cleary inspired by MMORPGs .... oh wait, clearly inspired by everquest 1 from 2001 because any half-decent mmorpg these days doesnt feature bosses as shitty as in DoW2 anymore which have hundred thousands of hitpoints requiring you to brainlessly repeat the same bland strategy over and over and over... oh noes, he s using a insta kill special ability, lets dodge it ! fits perfectly to the 40k universe too, 10 space marines firing 5 minutes straight at some puny eldar till he finally drops over. real immersion there baby.

...loot in singleplayer. hey guys, lets make this game like diablo. people love collecting loot ! especially if its the 215th powerarmor with useless stats to drop from some random orc.
this greatly enhances the replayability of a title where the last 2/3 of your first campaign already feel like a replay considering you re playing on the same maps over and over and over again with almost always the same mission structure....

its not like there have been other warhammer games *cough* chaos gate *cough* dark omen that perfectly showed how getting better equipment can be a great part of the game without such dumbfuckery as random loot drops.

...difficulty. only time this game feels somewhat 40kish is when playing on easy/sergeant - except thats no fun since the game is piss easy then
because the geniuses at relic of course took the easy route to difficulty balancing "lets bump up their damage and hitpoints!" in order to have at least some challenge you have to play the game not as space marines but as space frenchmen mashing the retreat button since a tyranid fart will be enough to kill whole squads. oh and enjoy some 10 minute boss battles.

still somewhat liked the game since i m a whore for 40k , heck i played and finished fire warrior so DoW2 couldnt beat me. but the facepalming was manyfold.

get some mads brah i will link you in a bit since im having diahrea

Derek Larp

Cipher
Hmmm... The last time I had a really big WTF moment was when I finished Quake 4. I mean I fight through all that shit, destroy the strogg nexus thing or whatever it was, and all I get is a cliffhanger. SORRY MARINE THE MACRON IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE. I liked the game but that really made me angry.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
So this isn't really a "wtf decision" thread it's THIS IS A GAEM I DONT LIEK thread. Also quite a bit of "nuff said" and "fixed" and level/game names with no explanation.

catfood

AGAIN
Arcanum was one big WTF for me. On one hand they gave you interesting locations like Tarant, and then they all went copy pasta fantasy with elves living in trees and dwarves that were driven from their underground home by an ancient evil. You had these really awesome quests like the siamese twins skulls, and then you were being sent in one of the most horrible dungeon hacks (Black Mountain Mines).

Radisshu

Prophet
Annie Carlson said:
I loved the shit out of Psychonauts.

But the goddamn Meat Circus. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

This.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom