Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress X-Piratez! Ironman! No spoilers! Oldschool X-COM Total Conversion with mutant amazon pirates. Death to the star gods!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Average Manatee
Did a base defence today where I had this layout
1699046975550.png

I had 10 defenders total, plus uber bees. And my best soldier (the only good soldier in the hideout, the pilot) spawned in the radar room and was very close to getting eaten by a dog. So I must conclude that this layout is very dangerous. If the radar were in a safe position it would be pretty good though, the chokes are quite strong.

Yeah. I think I'll be replacing it with an extractor from now on. Haven't seen anyone spawn in that room yet. Unfortunately not getting radar up immediately does delay things in terms of your base generating a profit through shootdowns. I'm thinking ideal is something like

Code:
ELHH--
-BHH--
-RQQ--
--QQ--
------
------

E= Extractor
L = Lift
H = Hanger
B = Bees (initially built as a living quarters but replaced once large one is ready).
R = Radar

2nd hanger can go to the right and 3rd can go below the lift, just move bees down. Since basic living quarters are pretty quick to construct you can get radar up within about a month and a half.

Extractor is also nice in that its not a complex structure to clear out and if enemies fall into the sewers they're pretty much useless for the main battle and easy to find with aye phones.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Extractor is also nice in that its not a complex structure to clear out and if enemies fall into the sewers they're pretty much useless for the main battle and easy to find with aye phones.
Yeah, extractor is nice. Also very defensible, you can snipe from the upper level if the enemies are being slow and you get there really fast, otherwise the fact that they have to go around the hole means you slow down stuff like dogs. Not a concern if you place it isolated like that of course.

Placing bees right next to hangar also seems like a good move. They are surprisingly effective.

Not sure if 2 hangars are good tbh. They take up a lot of space, I think for most hideouts I'd prefer having only one. I'd go with 0 for a lot of my hideouts (since all the good interceptors seem to have global range anyway), but I got paranoid after you talked about lack of spawn points. Cheap workshop slots sounds nice, but workshop slots don't seem that good until you have x-grog manufacturing up, which requires extractor+still, and that takes quite a while to construct.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wtf, have you already researched one? Could be months till you run across one again.
Nah, but I got engineers from the other two factions. I was trying to capture, I didn't expect the second one to choke out so easily, she was only down for like 2 turns.

I think you can safely take on Ninja missions now. Just need to grind Reaction on your soldiers a bit more.
Oh we can definitely win now. I'm more worried about the ship combat it'll cause honestly. And curious about how it changes the game without starting the feud. Unless I'm mistaken, our lack of lokknarr has prevented us from receiving underground missions tailored for them. My previous games were swamped with ratling caches and UAC vaults and the like. I'm kind of enjoying not having to do those.

Placing bees right next to hangar also seems like a good move. They are surprisingly effective.
They are effective, but I actually prefer keeping the bees further away, so they can clean up the sewers at the end. If they all rush in together early they can get taken down by napalm grenades pretty fast.

Onwards!

Decided against the humanist villa. I think we can handle it, but it's not worth the risk of injury; we need the new gals and ogres trained up, and they can't do that in hospital beds.

Interesting research continues to roll in, which is a nice change of pace after getting a ton of boring low level guns and stone age tech.
M9V7XaQ.png

These things are, frankly, amazing. Massive stun damage that bypasses armour and stops self destruction of enemy vehicles. These will let us punch way above our weight, if we can fire them. Fortunately, I think even the shitty primitive minibomb launcher can fire these. I'll have to check.
kDq1TjP.png

Got this tech after interrogating a drifter! These would be incredibly good in the early game, and a way to rack up poisoner titles. Bit late to be using flintlock pistols now though, and sadly the air muskets won't load them.
AWJpTx0.png

They also unlocked some other poison stuff though, which might be more practical. I tend to avoid a lot of the AoE stuff for fear of destroying fragile loot, but speedrunning a mission with gas bombs certainly has some appeal.
t2twh7D.png

We have another space mission pop up. I'd really like to do this one, I think the space missions are cool and might drop some neat loot, but I'm not burning 3 million dollaros on it right now like I did last time. We'll wait until we get a better ship to go back to space.
zRx4IKn.png

Speaking of ships... that spy zeppelin apparently requires 8k hours to build. Yeesh. Still might do it. Oh, but we'll need to get that scrap metal. We'll find some ore or something sooner or later I'm sure, excavation ships aren't that rare.
ZMj9a6g.png

In the meantime, we do some easy runs to train people up. Church raids, and a warehouse war here. You know, once I get really nice armour for a decent sized crew, I might start running more during the day just to appreciate the terrain more with lighting instead of the NV mode.
AexcZ0h.png

Gumsmith finally woke up, and celebrates with a turn at using the Fatty to disintegrate guild security.
f6geJ7t.png

And this warehouse actually had an item I've been hunting for! Very nice!
uy2q8CZ.png

Only like, 2 years later than I was hoping for. Still, better late than never, especially with the direction I'm taking our missions in the near future.
MYHMcfM.png

Researching acidic cannonballs has unlocked this, which will give us a passable way to deal with tanks and such without blowing up everything around it. Plus, acidic bullets just sound fucking rad.
TvTZtNf.png

This gun ended up being a bit disappointing, it doesn't really scale with super high firing like I was hoping. Would have been a nice armour buster if we got it earlier, but it's already obsolete.
rcgQiiV.png

And here we have another nice find from interrogating some random dude (I'm doing that a lot right now, hard to clear them out as fast as the werewolves can catch them, even going hard on slavery as well.) I think this might be Gumsmith's new toy. We'll give the Fatty back to Masochist since it can be fired semi-accurately from the air, while this clearly requires kneeling. That ammo clip holds 300 rounds btw.
fWxXLuJ.png

Finished this too. Nothing special unlocked yet, but I'm hoping dismantling some stuff will give more advances.
3HHJErN.png

...and Earth is suddenly swarmed with some large ships in many locations. Somewhat alarming.
7xqCVro.png

And a ship has landed here. It's only medium, so it's a good idea to pick a fight here right? Wouldn't want to be a pussy like std:namespace who doesn't go to fun parties. :troll:
a6uAOlM.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I am very jealous of your ability to wield minilaunchers, altho 50 emp damage is less than I was expecting.

Medium ship is definitely worth it. They're not that hard most of the time. Do eeet.

lightbane

Arcane
I gave this mod a quick look and I couldn't help but chuckle: it is really bloated, with sound effects for building stuff that wasn't here before, and promising like 400h of gameplay per campaign. That must be including restarts due failing for not knowing something arbitrary you needed to survive, but I believe it. This lp can last for years at least.

turkishronin

Arcane
I gave this mod a quick look and I couldn't help but chuckle: it is really bloated, with sound effects for building stuff that wasn't here before, and promising like 400h of gameplay per campaign. That must be including restarts due failing for not knowing something arbitrary you needed to survive, but I believe it. This lp can last for years at least.
It doesn't require restarting unless you're in really high difficulties.
In my first playthrough that took two years to finish I completely ignored Bounty Hunting (which gives you stuff that is really helpful early on) and managed to get by fine with swarming enemy ships with 5 aircars(half of which would be lost each time) instead of getting any advanced aircraft for large parts of the game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
It is incredibly bloated. But compared to something like firaxcom's long war, I prefer this approach. Every time you think you've seen it all the game will reveal another branch of research, a dozen more mission themes, more enemies, more factions of enemies, more weapons, MOOOOAAAR.

oasis789

Arcane
I might start running more during the day just to appreciate the terrain more with lighting instead of the NV mode.
you can play with full color display even during night missions, many streamers and lets play do this.

Piratez is kind of unique. Most mods bloat the game and then you end up needing to do very specific things (capture specific enemies or wait for specific craft types) to advance, but Piratez has enough bloat that there's usually multiple ways to progress at any one time. e.g. if you want to break into getting craft weapons and being able to shoot things down there's like 3 or 4 totally different paths.

Damned Registrations

Piratez is kind of unique. Most mods bloat the game and then you end up needing to do very specific things (capture specific enemies or wait for specific craft types) to advance, but Piratez has enough bloat that there's usually multiple ways to progress at any one time. e.g. if you want to break into getting craft weapons and being able to shoot things down there's like 3 or 4 totally different paths.
I think most pf my favourite games from the last decade or so have that feature in common- constantly having at least one, usually 3 or more doors left unexplored, simply because I'm already busy exploring exactly what I want. Elden Ring, Crystal Project, Hollow Knight, Star Traders Frontiers, Shadow Empires... all these awesome games that give you a ton of choices that all keep leading you onwards instead of into brick walls like so many other games with lazier design.

lightbane

Arcane
It is incredibly bloated. But compared to something like firaxcom's long war, I prefer this approach. Every time you think you've seen it all the game will reveal another branch of research, a dozen more mission themes, more enemies, more factions of enemies, more weapons, MOOOOAAAR.
Different tastes I guess. My OCD behaviour regarding XCOM makes the gmae either too addicting, or boring when I have to do dozens if not hundred of battles to the point of becoming repetitive.
The endgame used to be so long it took forever to achieve, but I read it was fixed in the latest updates (by copying mods that fixed the endgame, heh). Another issue is that if you update, you're risking breaking your favorite setup as the dev will have messed with the balance. In fact, Dio hates fun such as easy exploits.

Unless you're stuck like getting a damn stapler to pgoress.

I think most pf my favourite games from the last decade or so have that feature in common- constantly having at least one, usually 3 or more doors left unexplored, simply because I'm already busy exploring exactly what I want. Elden Ring, Crystal Project, Hollow Knight, Star Traders Frontiers, Shadow Empires... all these awesome games that give you a ton of choices that all keep leading you onwards instead of into brick walls like so many other games with lazier design.
They're all indie games done by above-average people. Although HK I would say it has terrible platforming IMO. ST Frontiers is one of those "eternally EA" games IMO.

Aye, the stapler is the one big roadblock you can get stuck on currently in Piratez. Too much depends on the workshop.

std::namespace

update when, we are waiting
5l8mQdm.png

Aye, the stapler is the one big roadblock you can get stuck on currently in Piratez. Too much depends on the workshop.
from ingame time perspective, stapler is like a split-second,
but getting power armor parts or making factions angry or collecting the coins for the favors just takes a ton of repetitive nothing pseudogameplay
at least one can technically try to sit in a base and wait if the economy works

lightbane

Arcane
but getting power armor parts or making factions angry or collecting the coins for the favors just takes a ton of repetitive nothing pseudogameplay
IIRC there's a word that lets you convert tokens of one patron into another, which is a mandatory mod to avoid micromanaging tedium. No idea if it's still compatible though.

Damned Registrations

And this, ladies and gentlemen, was the point where I should have noped the fuck out.
2kLAI5m.png

These guys. Given what I now know about those gauss weapons... I really want to collect some of them.
vdNloyS.png

Single hit to a werewolf. Ouch.
D5sy9xH.png

These two to the south have minilaunchers. With some kind of explosives apparently, but they didn't hurt too bad.
AWh03z5.png

Gumsith gives the minigun a try. Even if this guy reaction fires it shouldn't be a big deal for an ogre to tank.
pb2tXde.png

Except it was this previously unseen guy to the west that reaction fired instead, like 5 times. Thankfully the shots missed.
R9t3Dk7.png

Lets try the Fatty instead.
6oTNr5J.png

Scratch one merc! This might be doable after all. Try for a second?
QAnCdWY.png

Err, not the target I was looking to knock out.
2PE1mfG.png

Manatee manages to finish off the commando with a battle rifle snapshot.
CyPSqEk.png

I try to finish off the other merc to the south with Modron's painbringer smg, but apparently the armour wasn't stripped nearly enough.
P0lPfTq.png

Oh jesus holy mother of fuck. At least it doesn't appear to have reaction fire, or it'd surely have killed someone by now through that window.
ywImoCv.png

This thing is surely a monster. Staying feels especially foolish now.
Q0gSYHz.png

But fuck it, Gumsmith is stuck outside after using the minigun, and maybe that shield is weak to our new EMP minibombs I brought along.
z5tcChv.png

Just a dude with a massive gauss gun taking shots at Gumsmith. No big deal.
uBaHcD9.png

Hah! Howls for the win!
JXPyGGm.png

We'll just open the door here to see the situation... well fuck. It's shields block stabbing, apparently. Good to know.
jZ2a8UI.png

I send kitty into the weapon locker to see if we've got something like a satchel charge to throw out there and hope for the best, but sadly we've got no such toys in the inventory atm.
6HtvrXe.png

One of the newbies swings a whip around to bait out potential reaction fire. Coast is clear.
DzZ0c0z.png

Time to try the minibomb out. 25-75 doesn't sound like much, but the enemy would need 200 armour to negate the 50 average damage, assuming EMP was only 100% effective. If it's more than that, we're in better shape, and we are scoring 4 hits at once on a large target. AND the stun damage is 500% of the hp damage. There's a decent chance this just one shots the tank if the EMP bypasses shields.
bDgHRwj.png

Uh nope. Shields tanked it completely. Fuck.
QmYcvDJ.png

Gumsmith took a small hit from something during the enemy turn. All on his left arm, ruining his aim with the minigun.
caUSloY.png

I have modron patch the wounds and head back inside... to get shot by someone in the distance. Man, fuck this ship.
cqqlESi.png

Minigun volley #2. I've howled at this guy a LOT, so I'm hoping we can knock him down. If we can capture one alive I'll flee and call it a win.
zJapnaQ.png

Try to take out another commando with the Fatty and it works! Also we grazed the tank with a stray shot and shields absorbed that too.
NLMhekv.png

Bastars threw a grenade in through the window, killing the other newbie gal we brought along. Motherfuckers.
c9vtgY1.png

I send Gumsmith over to get a look through the window... and he dies instantly. RIP.
Ps08DLx.png

And on this side we have... a shock trooper and that fucking tank is still right there. Well, the tank doesn't reaction fire, so if we can focus everything on the trooper and catch him maybe? He only has melee attacks after all.
DCKz0Lm.png

2 full volleys with the fatty at this range should do the trick, even if that armour is insane.
H26qiaI.png

...and the tank react fired and killed Masochist Slut II. :salute:
1bMejsn.png

What an absolute fucking failure that was. Mercs are fucking brutal. I think we could have handled this if we had our team from before that stupid base mission that got everyone killed.
HREQ7u7.png

:hero: There goes 3 of our best units.
eARFHV4.png

Oh look, another landed ship!
jQX6Vp3.png

lightbane

Arcane
Protip: DO NOT FIGHT MERCS!
They exist to troll players, and by the time you can fight them, you can fight anything else. Even then, I noticed that the winning strategy against these guys is to pop out of doors, shoot, and go back in. Repeat.
Also, fire explosives are VERY effective, as the damage overtime doesn't damage loot on the ground I think.

Damned Registrations

Protip: DO NOT FIGHT MERCS!
They exist to troll players, and by the time you can fight them, you can fight anything else. Even then, I noticed that the winning strategy against these guys is to pop out of doors, shoot, and go back in. Repeat.
Also, fire explosives are VERY effective, as the damage overtime doesn't damage loot on the ground I think.
Oi! No back seat coaching! This is my run to fuck up horribly. Feel free to discuss what a moron I'm being, but if it includes shit about things I haven't done or realized yet, please spoiler it. Unless it's like, a UI button I've failed to notice.

We've got enough spare brainers now that I've decided to start clearing out stuff like zombies and slave types from the list. I expect the zombies, at least, will pay off. Especially now that we have that cross.
uIeK201.png

Month has rolled over. Apparently letting all those ships fly around hasn't dented our rating. Good to know and good in general; we'd have been in a bit of trouble if we had to struggle for infamy.
QvRMEiu.png

Various odds and ends of research are still popping out of prisoners. We're also starting to clear certain prisoner types off the list of research targets. Including researchers themselves, actually. Now they're just slaves or ransom fodder.
vbd6hbJ.png

Finally got this contact. In retrospect, I should have started us here instead of the poll. Would have been an interesting start.
A8mhrmY.png

I can't recall if I've seen this before. Sounds interesting.
iAyVU5n.png

And here is the big reason I wanted the contact. The nun army cometh!
xBByd9T.png

Hmm, tamed reapers have some lackluster stats for a 2x2 unit. I suppose if we had them really early they'd be good tanks?
Su7JioO.png

Some random armour types getting finished up too. This one has some nice defenses, but a -15 TU penalty means they're not good for much besides standing in place and shooting.
UEjkxrO.png

Hmm, night vision penalty is quite harsh. Might still be worthwhile if it's got great temporary bonuses, like a big buff to brave or +30 hp or some shit. Probably leads to other cool stuff too, I would hope.
klLut76.png

Bunch of VIPs have been getting unlocked too. Never found a use for this type of info yet.
39P1PCB.png

Loknarr's actually get a pretty decent flying suit as well, like the catgirls. Not nearly as many TUs, but that camo is pretty sweet and unlike most suits, they won't freeze to death so easily.
yEH0PEW.png

Researching slave gladiators unlocked this. Interesting...
xVaqHxq.png

And researching some more zombie corpses unlocked this- a research into zombies as a general concept. Zombies is a deep tech tree, it seems.
pyZG4je.png

Speaking of the tech tree- ours is finally getting caught up. We're down to 3-4 pages of potential projects, and a lot of those are things I intend to just ignore. Feels good to catch up, but it's also a sign we need to do some new missions.
vjJdUd7.png

Ooh, this would be a good candidate. I'd love to capture a ghost. However, despite knowing what we're dealing with now, we're still highly limited by our lack of gear. I'll pass on this for now- once we've got a team of 6+ gals with 100+ throwing and 90+ bravery we'll come back for revenge.
VkL2fhs.png

Alright, I said we'll help these annoying fuckers this month, and so we will. I'll just wait for daylight, since they've got assloads of night camo and we no longer have crazy veteran gals with like 25 night vision.
A99RrI1.png

Err, that was the plan but apparently these missions despawn REAL fast. Duly noted, we'll rush in next time, night or not.
E8DKHQU.png

In the mean time, I'm focusing on more milk runs, trying to train gals up. Iria is shaping up to be a decent melee gal, which is good, because I want someone who can make good use of these vibro swords and plasma daggers. They're fricking awesome. Especially the vibro swords.
bZrXKvN.png

We take out an ambulance too, netting a bunch of nurses and 2 drone captures. Which we need because we lost our hoer suit when Slut died, and I want more of those.
5CHv2rs.png

Finally we got another loknar mission, and it's both day time and nearby. Handy. It's also full of these guys, whom I've never met before. Was always sky ninjas picking on them before, or just footsoldier narlocks.
Nutj5BA.png

Well, they LOOK scary but I suspect they're actually a bunch of little bitches. The guns don't look like laser weapons, and reapers aren't generally well armored.
c5ojBBP.png

And sure enough, the mission is a cakewalk. Made even easier by the reapers being distracted by villagers, they never even get near our craft. Their guns seem large, but slow to fire and inaccurate. I could have handled this with a bunch of poison arrows in like, the 3rd month.
hoYrVXW.png

The werewolf clown car actually proves pretty ineffective here, between the reaper's massive health pool, and what I assume is high daze resistance and good stun recovery.
a1MvQR1.png

Well, that's a nice chunk of infamy and a bunch of prisoners at least. 1 apple though? Lame. Surprised only 1 villager died, these things must be pushovers.
QmGrMUA.png

Pretty lame loot screen, but hero blessings are always welcome at least, and the cavalry is new.
yuujXon.png

This isn't new though. It occurs to me that spotting and tracking stuff like this would be another use for things like that zeppelin. Well, I'd certainly like to see where it stops and get revenge on those dumbass bug eyed shitheads. I'll tail it with the scarab and see if we can't catch it...
mEovghX.png

lightbane

Arcane
Oi! No back seat coaching! This is my run to fuck up horribly. Feel free to discuss what a moron I'm being, but if it includes shit about things I haven't done or realized yet, please spoiler it. Unless it's like, a UI button I've failed to notice.
Well, you have fought these mercs twice, and by now you should have realized you're not meant to fight them, so it's not spoiler. Regarding the fire, I also point out the merc battle before, where half of your craft was on fire, but thankfully your gear wasn't destroyed.
I would prefer it to see you reach the ending to see how it got changed. IIRC there's at least one additional ending besides the classic XCOM's Mars assault, but I'm not sure.

Oh man, 104 kills and only got 1 promotion before dying? Poor slut :cry:.

What shields have you researched at this point? You can hit U mid battle to bring up the bootypedia and find out their resistances if you have them. You do kind of need a cheat sheet available to remember what's what.

Apparently
You wanted to use Laser/Plasma/Electricity/Cut/Stab to deal full damage. So I'm not sure why EMP didn't work well? Do shields not take 4x damage on 2x2 units? Hitting them with a saber would have taken the shields down quickly though. But then you need to bring totally different weapons because their armor and resistances will laugh at those kinds of weapons. Definitely keep satchel charges around for cases like this

Regarding the Lokknarr mission with the reaper cavalry, that's one of the best opportunities to train up the Cavalier title. Looks like you almost got it without trying. Literally just standard grenades will take them out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom