Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress X-Piratez! Ironman! No spoilers! Oldschool X-COM Total Conversion with mutant amazon pirates. Death to the star gods!

Bros I think Catgirls really are the way...

32i8q8N.png

Camo is significantly stronger for them, -7 enemy vision at night puts regular humans at 3 tiles...

11iClrw.png

88% evasion with these stats.

Can literally just sprint across whole battlefields stunning everything pretty trivially

Hope my posting on general xpiratez stuff isn't disrupting the thread, if so I can go to the openxcom one instead.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Hope my posting on general xpiratez stuff isn't disrupting the thread, if so I can go to the openxcom one instead.
I don't mind at all.

While on the topic of training, how useful is the Sailor outfit? Says it improves XP gains (5). Have no idea what that means, but I've always used it extensively until I get camo/heavy armor, and keep using it for characters who don't need that. Assumption being that over a few missions the increased stat gains from Sailor will outweigh the stat bonuses of most other uniforms. But for all I know its actually only adding +5% stat gain rate or something.
I haven't spoiled myself on the exact mechanics, but in my experience the sailor outfits aren't that great. But some of the later stuff like the bikini or gym outfits that give much better numbers can be pretty nice for jumpstarting recruits.

i just remembered why i might think that dojos suck:
i started using peasants when i requiered them and at that point i bought them in packages of 20 and walked the plank on everyone but the specific ones
This might be another thing that's changed quite a bit. I tried that strat myself at one point, but the starting stat spread wasn't that good. Once you start trying to find people with bravery and voodoo, looking for other decent stats is a pipedream.

Did anyone even panic?
I did, in fact, get someone to go insane after a long range shout I only intended to lower their TU so they wouldn't reaction fire someone sprinting up to them to get them locked in melee. I don't know the exact mechanics, but I know the bravery scaling is crazy. I recall a tip saying something like 60 bravery is half the chance of a morale hit vs 50 bravery. That seems to pan out in my experience; 30 bravery recruits will panic from literally nothing, just being in a mission 2 turns in. 70 bravery are generally fine unless something is going wrong, and 100 bravery are pretty much unshakable rocks.
I picked Gals are superior and I seem to be getting quite a lot of brothel busting missions, which reward 1 castaway girl.
That's been my experience as well, I went that route in most of my games.

To the updatecave!

I forgot how many steps unlocking this shit has. Give me the cool shit already!
E5uNbmZ.png

A bit underwhelming, but that hull is going to be fucking awesome when we get it into the air.
xdYEKiM.png

Is that supposed to be a real question? Wake the demons! Actually, I'll let one stay asleep incase it unlocks something else later. Such is the way of the paranoid explorer.
VzrgEMK.png

Ugh. No idea why this popped up. We clearly don't need the money at the moment.
c9pyUVb.png

Removing the taxes sets use back just a little more than what we got from the loan, so this is a net loss of money and we took an infamy hit.
JiRr35K.png

On top of that, the workers cost 5k each per month. I'll hang on to them for a month or two in case they unlock something, but it seems doubtful. Maybe I'll ship some to the secondary base to help it get started with storage space while I set up.
oeG67Zm.png

First reading of the green codex.
EnhRg8i.png
s74c6yZ.png

Fuso fan has been bought and researched, leading to air filtration. That, in turn, will lead us to some critical gas mask tech and the option to build large 2x2 crew quarters and prisons, which are more efficient. We'll want one of those in our main base if we're turning it into both a lab and a workshop, as we'll need space for all the runts and brainers, along with our primary crew.
AsFdw6J.png

Our demons have woken up. In honour of our most deceased line of volunteers, the first one is named after Oasis789. Long may she live! No, seriously, don't get this one killed. What's with the stats though? Perfect health my ass!
Mtg65RR.png

Holy shitballs. +5 to all armour, 2 nightvision, a full point of health regen and a smattering of stat bonuses on top? God damn, these are monsters. I'm suddenly very happy with the green codex. Based on my experience with the grey codex, I'd say there's even a slim chance we'll occasionally get more of these in the future. Which would be fucking amazing.
zWMRvMz.png

We send our two demons on an easy mission to kickstart their training. Stat gains like that are fairly common for young ubers, who also start with low stats but have high caps.
5Krpmc0.png

On another supposedly easy mission, I decide to park Gandalfina next to a priest, trusting that her high stats and fairly evasive rogue outfit will be enough to dodge his clumst billhook attacks. Uh, nope. Hit hit her a bunch, nearly killed her, and brought her morale low enough to make her berserk so she couldn't run away on her turn. Fuck me, didn't realize these guys were fucking sword saints.
MZZGuSG.png

Thankfully, we managed to rescue her and the rest of the mission goes off without a hitch. It was one of the goblin bounty ones to get coins from the church. Apparently those qualify you for this special title, which I didn't realize. Makes it a bit more appealing in the future. We even got +10 bravery on the other demon we woke up, which is good because that one started with a lousy 30 bravery.
SWtwYwN.png

We can finally start building ammo! Just shitty pistol ammo for now, but we're on track for the good stuff. Once we can freely use stuff like sniper rifles and the high end rifles and heavy guns, we'll be in heaven.
7VcAuse.png

Nice, I've been waiting for a set of space suits.
7SIMPUX.png

And we get a small craft landing nearby and send a team out. There was an academy drone right next to us, which is a mixed bag. It means our whole crew is spotted, and it started a god damned fire nearby so night stealth is a no go. We hide inside the ship for the first round.
ABgAcgN.png

Fortunately, the rest of the enemies are a bunch of pussies. Explorers are basically like academy researchers and nurses- armed with weak, often non-lethal weapons and non existent armour.
8wostIo.png

We manage to take a lot of hostages and get a fuckton of plasatsteel.
DrkB8Td.png

In fact, we get a ton of nice loot, including a 50mm cannon part!
Yzjt0xj.png

And a small ship engine, 2 grav units, tons of prisoners... is that a fucking engineer?! Fuck yeah! Must have gone down to reaction fire or panicked or something.
gTUmvrS.png

Oh boy, shits getting real now.
CXVFcoy.png

New top priority: Turning plastasteel into fucking invincible suits of armour.

0oTDhfW.png

Just a few things we can start building now. Can't wait to take those night ops suits out for a spin.
ElhLOrb.png

P.S. If anyone is still waiting to get inducted and I've missed them, let me know. AFAIK the ones waiting currently are Luka-boy and Gunsmith, both waiting on specific recruit types we haven't gotten yet.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So I did install the mod and sacrificed some sleep to play.
Got a mission where necropirates were attacking ubers, and at the end of that mission I got 3 new castaways!

How much does RNG hate you, really??

Luka-boy

Arcane
What are space suits for?
Space missions :M

And if I remember correctly, you can also use them in missions where you really don't want to worry about oxygen like underwater ones or those full of toxic clouds like organ trafficking ones.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Been doing some of the academy house missions. The flying drones are nasty. But the money is good. The injuries are a bit troublesome however.

I'm having trouble getting enough workshop space to activate the drill though.
I did get one of those expeditions (staffed by 4 peasants). The radar range is really high, but over 2 months I only found one mission from it (and I'm not sure it was because of the expedition or if I would have gotten it anyway), despite checking the activity graphs frequently and moving to correspondingly. Not really worth it since it consumes a whole hangar, unless I am missing something.

I'm also finding that hot climate is pretty easy to ignore, the stun damage barely matters. Cold is a bit worse.

std::namespace

where I got +0 TU
Maybe it only adds +1 if TU rolls something over 0? There is "limit_lower statBonus 1;" in Yankes Script but I'm not gonna try to decipher Yankes ScRiPt...

I didnt actually know that you can roll 0 on TU but it seems its possible near cap.

QqYDlak.png

edit

weird, how can you have expl summary available for research without frag and he grenades researched?

eidt
ah it seems to unlock when 1 item is enough

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm having trouble getting enough workshop space to activate the drill though.
Earlygame your best option is extractors. Hangars and vaults add a little bit too, but realistically won't get you there.
Damnably expensive when I'm not going to want them long term.

I am not a fan of some of the layouts in this, my one big complaint so far. When defending your base the enemies will just swarm in and get lost in the sludge or catwalks. And then there are the caves, that seem to always spawn with little pockets with enemies inside where the only way in is to use a pickaxe or something to break it down? Feels more tedious than fun.

Been doing some of the academy house missions. The flying drones are nasty. But the money is good. The injuries are a bit troublesome however.

Have your strongest soldiers throw a magna lite or two ontop of the main structure and just stay in the dark, turning it into a shooting gallery. I like to keep the infinite ammo laser pistols around for maximum firing/reactions training.

Damned Registrations

We have a small ship landed nearby, in the perfect spot to land a night ambush!

fr96uLd.png

It turns out to be some academy scrubs. It's a total massacre with our new night ops suits. None of the 4 enemies sighted here would be visible from this position without it. We can take them out from so far they wouldn't even be able to fire if they walked directly towards us.
Vij4pdj.png

There is a slight complication- this isn't just a normal desert, but one with random heat bursts, which inflict massive stun damage, enough to knock a healthy gal out in one go. It can hit enemies too, or even hit the same spot twice in one turn. I believe heat resistance still applies to this damage, so we're not too bad off at least, but it does knock gals out a few times before we're done.
ev5hAbj.png

One of the savy girls we were researching turns out to be a recruit! This is a thing that can happen when interrogating people, especially after you've gotten all their intel.
cOR4tce.png

The result is a freak gal- an uber gal with stats on par with a castaway, but no other special bonuses AFAICT. They do count as their own sort of subspecies though (they have a unique icon in the top right of the stat screens) so maybe there is some stuff only they can receive, in terms of armour or training or something.
jZ5bSBn.png

The Green Codex is someting we can (and should) research repeatedly. It'll give us a bunch of different tech.
0vRvd8I.png

Our first reward is healing gel. This is pretty nice, as you can't research the gel itself, at least not with our current buildings. Healing gel is a nice item to have since it lets soldiers patch their own wounds, which is pretty rare. It's pretty good at it too, with 4hp recovered and 3 charges.
55imtJd.png

Alas, it requires boomfruit and sectoweed to make. Boom fruit can be farmed much like sectoweed, but we'll need to find some first, and, well, it shows up in jungle maps as effectively landmines. Definitely a pain.
kXROoMf.png

Aside from the apples, we need smelly rags to recruit these gals too, which can be farmed most easily from necropirates. We already have some from the slot machines though.
NdN5eG9.png

Apparently we're a honry, cunning captain.
K6NfodC.png

And we just acquired a slave without having researched slavery yet. Slave maids are basically the lowest tier of slave, but hey, free income is free income.
uZv8oQW.png

We launch into another landed craft ambush, this time finding an especially well armed altar boy after sticking our head out.
yG2yaQp.png

Ah, this makes sense now. It's a church warparty. These warmaidens have some decent armour, 12? NV with those goggles of theirs and tend to carry some very nice weaponry. In this case, a light cannon. I don't really want one of those, and I REALLY don't want to get hit by one.
cEl6inO.png

Slut manages to rush one down only to reveal another one right behind her. Shit. This is what is known as 'fucking terrible luck.' All we can do is crouch and hope they miss.
2SJUEVF.png

Miraculously, even better than that, the second warmaiden wanders away without firing at us. Nice! Our snipers pick off a few more altar boys as well. One of the awkward things about using the night ops gear is you can't really pair it with other stuff that well. There's not much point being stealthy if your bulky ally is drawing inaccurate fire in your general direction anyways.
PwdsKtl.png

I can't display the name of the weapon due to my hotkey setup for the screenshots, but you can see here the ammo it used does up to 120 damage. That wouldn't quite one shot us with this armour, but it'd get uncomfortably close.
YIxgsXJ.png

Another warmaiden is carrying a sniper rifle. Jackpot!
3D6hr4L.png

Slut is our only melee gal on this run, which makes this a bit sketchy. Fortunately, she's fucking awesome at it.
0lTHu2I.png

Another new enemy. Matrons are on par with the priests, perhaps a bit better in melee. or something.
5rE4bWl.png

Slut single handedly takes out everyone inside the ship by abusing doors and her superior TU pool. Well done!
rRJX0WT.png

Not a bad chunk of xp, 5 reactions is nothig to sneeze at.
gkQihzG.png

And the loot is excellent! 3 sniper rifles! Assault Machinegun! Poison grenades!
QCODVp4.png

And a lot of prisoners. More than we can handle, in fact. We really need to set up that second base and make a prison.
9qBdAlQ.png

The chitin shield isn't a great melee weapon, but the fact that it's always there means we put it to a lot of use, to the point we got the master title for it.
to5ZhzC.png

Not sure if I showed this off before. One of the rare ones for sure.
EGkTOo3.png

Yet another landed craft! I've encountered a reticulan base this way before. They're dangerous, but the potential gain in tech is too good to ignore.
gVHtZyD.png

We bring some big guns this time.
XQVmdrl.png

Huh, that's not so bad.
FmdG00b.png

These little dickheads are no real threat. Maybe this will be easy after all.
A9Ss3tc.png

Ah, that's more like what I remember.
UOBzkX6.png

A bunch of assholes over here too, including 2 I'm not familiar with.
zms0wxh.png

Anything made of metal scares me. It's gun is a fairly shit reticulan laser weapon though iirc.

DqPEo5h.png

Clearly some sort of uber hybrid or something. I wonder if we can convert them?
Vf7f9nX.png

At this point I realize the base has been looming over our ship the entire time. That's uh, not good. Probably.
y9EJTFT.png

More assholes down here. Our sniper rifle is doing good work.
EnbFLgT.png

I didn't catch it in a screenshot, but these little fuckers are what I'm after here. He's got some kind of energy shield. And a brutal rocket launcher thing. I want to catch him and steal his secrets, even if we can't take the entire base.
nctKZfQ.png

Slut has taken a few lasers so far but is still doing fairly well.

74HCZt9.png

I even manage to land a knockout gas grenade right on the shielded fuck. Not sure if it worked or not though because even more guys keep arriving from the shadows.
T57kV16.png

And disaster strikes. What is that pile of stuff on the ground? That's all that's left of Masochist Slut. Not even a corpse is left after getting hit with some sort of plasma weapon from above. RIP :salute:
n2MGnjp.png

Yeah, this is getting too heavy after all. I was hoping they'd mostly stay in their base and let me run away with a few spoils, but they're swarming out onto us now.
0K2ZBsq.png

We manage to grab the sleeping body of one of the peons at least. He won't give us cool shielding tech, but it's better than nothing.

0XQzt8P.png

This is a huge blow. Slut was probably our strongest remaining gal, and our only melee expert. It'll take a long time to train a decent replacement.

uFhQayF.png

This is another semi random event that always seems to show up eventually.
cW03tIE.png

I'm not sure who these various princesses are, but it seems like the last one is the red eyed brat.
HjRYhUY.png

Frustratingly, the novice robes are equippable by 'weird gals' which I've never acquired before. I suspect they might be recruited from the savage gals that show up in the ritual site events, as they had a similar name iirc. They're dangerous though, so I haven't done that mission yet.
5KsBZvf.png

Plastasteel unlocked! No immediate use, but I'm sure it's an important prereq.
OiWQzz5.png

We find yet another reticulan base! The round probe ships seem to lead to them, definitely something I'll keep an eye out for from now on. This time I elect to bring more of our boys. They've got the accuracy needed to use the sniper rifles. 3 sniper rifles can solve a lot of problems.

Z0rWliI.png

This seems pretty much ideal; the gals can spot for the snipers on this big open field. We might even take the whole base!

BW4WV9V.png

There's a problem though. Aside from the reticulans having excellent nightvision with the giant eyeballs, these metal fuckers seem to have the spotter trait, with one instantly returning fire after being shot. They're tanky as hell too, taking 3 sniper rounds to go down.
Gzhn5Vd.png

The plan was working pretty well, but after getting several kills the enemy lands a hefty shot on one of our gals. I really don't want to risk such a high potential soldier, so we bail without even an alien body to bring back. Lots of wounded now too, going to be a while before we can field all our gals again.

qrbWyc7.png

That's fine though We're doing well financially and we've still got a ton of stuff to research!
qcHKkun.png

This would be more exciting if I'd done it earlier; blowdarts are kind of mediocre at this point, and the arrows aren't terribly appealing when we have sniper rifles. I'll make some arrows and blowpipes and daggers though, if only for nabbing the poisoner title, which has a very nice benefit!
e84Woek.png

Our new freak gal inherits Slut's moniker. Starting stats are quite impressive, aside from bravery and throwing. Here's hoping she's as successful as her predecessor.
OO4ALH5.png

Sickbay is finally researched. A flat 1 hp per 2 days isn't great, but it's not nothing either. The other big benefit is it will unlock a lot more research, like studying zombies.
hDjRFv0.png

We end the month just barely below the line for our next promotion. I'm fine with that; we really need a bit longer to finish upgrading ourselves. The next big step is getting a proper landing craft. The ability to send a dozen gals on a mission instead of 6 will be a total game changer. We've got all the stuff we need to make that happen, it's just a matter of research hours at this point.
oYnh5IX.png

oasis789

Arcane
freak looks good, high shooting and high stamina to run to good sniping position

Damned Registrations

We start off with the finished interrogation of our reticulan peon. Unfortunately, these are just the dudes left over who have been living on earth for hundreds of years. In retrospect, reading the bio, it might be better to fight these guys during the day. Maybe they actually have below standard dayvision? Worth a shot anyways.

tU7Qlym.png

Sadly, we don't get any real tech out of this, just one of the tips on how the game works. At least it's a cool image.
Exad4Pw.png

Time indeed marches on. We've got a lot more speedy aircraft buzzing around our base now. We're honestly really, really far behind on that front. My previous successful attempts to get a run going had fighters shooting down plenty of light aircraft by now. We've been held back pretty far by the combination of missions and that base getting destroyed. We're still kicking though!
WxxuEMX.png

Interesting, I thought this was associated with the 'Gals are Superiror' tech path. Well, free food is always nice.
OkLm2hS.png

Our personal labs have finished construction. This unlocks a bunch of new research options (not that we needed MORE options) some of which are depicted here. I'm trying to thin the list out but we really need like another 10 brainers.
HKengWW.png

:rage:
2Ofqk0h.png

It's not even ratmen this time. It's the fucking doom demons. I bought a token defense force in case the academy raided it, but they're utterly fucked. Peasants with tommy guns are not going to hold the line here. It's total bullshit it's been invaded already when I'm literally trying to beeline base defenses to shoot this crap down.
t3roQnu.png

Did I mention these assholes have rocket launchers? Yeah. That's how fucked we are here. RIP production base attempt #2.

P7nMnGi.png

Alright, lets focus on something less awful. Our catgirl is apparently restless and wants to go murder people. We've got no real armour she can use right now, but camo paint is incredibly effective on catgirls, so we'll go with that and hope nobody shoots at here, as she's got 35 hp and will therefore die to a single holdout pistol shot with a bad roll.
wHbXiE9.png

Luckily there's a dude right next to the craft so she gets a chance to run out and shank him. I mean, we probably should have captured him instead, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
P7m7ac5.png

Meanwhile, Cleve miss a 92% accuracy shot from half a screen away and destroys the wall behind the dude instead. Echidna actually finishes this guy off too with the SMG before running back to safety.
Qw9gOBv.png

Despite getting 2 kills, the xp rewards are pretty lackluster. The fact is, it's just hard to train stats that are near the caps, and most of hers are now.
IdEAAVW.png

She did get the murderer title at least.
8DYMRvC.png

Nice, free cash and infamy as a new year present!

FKkRElF.png

Aside from being useful info, these race entries tend to unlock stuff. Catgirls are radically different from ubers, having very skewed stats that make them excellent pilots and glass cannons in melee. Once reactions and TUs get high enough, they're amazing at running across the battlefield to retrieve fallen soldiers and bring them to safety to be revived. Or doing the same with fallen enemies to capture, for that matter.
njBrfmz.png

Some nice options made available now. The contact will give us unlimited access to catgirls, but in an inconvenient way that requires exchanging ubers for them iirc. They sell some weapons too but those are mostly lame except for gnomes. The outfit tech is what we're really after, it'll unlock the value of our catgirls in the long run.
Lx5RxHV.png

This is actually a little tempting. Tanks are obviously incredibly dangerous, but we do have the firepower to take one out. I decide to let it slide though. I'm more concerned about being sniped by the soldiers to be honest. We REALLY need better craft.
QOiFFIh.png

This feels like an appropriate reaction to the RNG so far.
ctoPwPD.png

I have no idea why this is arriving. Linked to the rampage I think? A bug? We'll research the thing at any rate. I've encountered one before and they are god damned nightmares.
JBESYSj.png

A nice mission for once! At least in theory. Only gals can go, and we only have 4 on their feet right now. On top of that, they'll be essentially unarmed going into this, so we need gals with high melee. Even so, I think it's worth it. The mission is fairly easy in spite of those restrictions and can have a decent payout.
cKFi65U.png

But the fucking cunt of a game spawned it so far away our aircar won't reach, even with the extra battery! Motherfucker!

89RU5ww.png

Next major milestone is our sickbay is completed. That means we can start research on all these zombies and their corpses. I'm convinced this is a fruitful line of research based on my last attempt, but I didn't quite get to the rewards before I got wiped out. I do know it's a long road, so this is yet another pile of options going to the back burner.
gV3hRFX.png

Since we don't have the brainers to spare for interrogating everyone right now, I decide it's time to pickup slavery. We've got little room in the prisons, we might as well get some value out of the people we keep capturing.

nxF2Ozh.png

Huh, never saw this one before. Slavery unlocked it? Intriguing.
eONMnRz.png

Slavery is something that doesn't pay off any time soon, it requires a lot of labour to create a slave out of a prisoner. The bit before the colon indicates what type of slave is created. Generally the bigger and fancier the letters the better the slave. These ones all suck.
RoYkqjC.png

Air filtration is finished next. I'm frantically hunting around for whatever unlocks the better craft options and not finding it. My kingdom for a gnome.

SiLDOge.png

This, at least, has a straightforward path. Grave units lead to flying armours, which will be awesome and make some otherwise difficult missions trivial.
eOcsiwc.png

I really can't get over how much effort wet into this mod. They didn't need to write these huge loredumps, or edit them into decent english or work in jokes everywhere, but they did and it makes everything so much better.
3r7Onvx.png

Our previously unnamed amnesiac perfect gal has been named. Seemed appropriate. Also, I forgot to switch her into a better outfit for the day mission we're embarking on. Whoops.
qQ4gpCT.png

It's a simple monster hunt for bloodhounds. No bystanders this time, nor rival hunters. The 3 gals I did put it chitin armour with spears easily hold them at bay while our hover suit girl practices sniping.
0xIr9xk.png

As you can see, bloodhounds are a lot sturdier than guard dogs. Still not invincible by any means, but 61 hp and 24 frontal armour will let you charge through some gunfire without much consequence.
bHqRWIw.png

Another quirk of the mission: Boomfruit is present. You can actually see on on the ground next to the lower left flames. They basically act as weak landmines. Utterly terrifying on more cluttered maps.
7JBTs70.png

Once most of them are taken out, we even take the time to practice some medicine on the ones bleeding out. It'll train bravery to use our first aid kits, even if the target is an enemy.
HzemIPD.png

I also, uh, accidently stabbed Slut with a spear thinking there was a bloodhound in that tile. Oops. Good thing we've got that sickbay!
JyaHEWe.png

At the end of the day, we got 2 bravery increases, so I'll call it a good run.
AKLONbR.png

Does this unlock aircraft? Not yet, apparently!
Vfpaihe.png

Neither does this. It DOES unlock recon vehicles, which are functionally similar to the hyena riders but, you know, fucking armored cars which is a lot better. We don't have the parts for that yet though, let alone a ship with crewspace to make it worth using.
0mvcYSv.png

Bases in XPiratez are brutal as fuck. Most of my losses are because bases just go up, ships fly everywhere (often able to shoot down my ships), and my score in months goes from +2000 to -4000 or something.

And I have the same problem with new bases getting hit by attacks in less than 2 months when there's no good defensive depth up and my troops are a bunch of unused peasants. Can never figure out what a good time to set them up is. Next game I think I'll try transferring over just 1 or 2 ubers who can be melee beasts, in my primary base defenses w/ fuso swords they've been able to basically handle base defenses on their own. Still feels bad to split off your best soldiers who could be running useful missions into guard duty though.

Last edited:

I decide to park Gandalfina next to a priest
Why are you standing with her ass back to him? xD

So I did install the mod and sacrificed some sleep to play.
Open Piratez.rul file
find
"
- type: STR_LABORATORY
placeSound: 316
destroyedFacility: STR_RUBBLE
buildCost: 75000000
buildTime: 75
removalTime: 20
monthlyCost: 75000
refundValue: 15000000
sightRange: 1600
labs: 120
"
set labs to 120 for 120 brainer space

Open Piratez_Globals.rul file
find
costHireScientist: 200000
costScientist: 100000
set to whatever, 2 and 1 or something, ..., ?, profit!

Save IRL time, Dont ever wait on pointless research again!

This is a thing that can happen when interrogating people, especially after you've gotten all their intel.
Its just random, doesnt matter if you researched them before. I hoped that Shrine Maiden from first update would have thrown this...

freak gal- an uber gal with stats on par with a castaway
Isnt she already over the stamina cap?

Damned Registrations

Why are you standing with her ass back to him? xD
That image was after she went berserk from the morale loss and decided to attack in random directions instead of being berserk at the guy who shanked her for some reason.

Isnt she already over the stamina cap?
Indeed, 12 points over in fact. I don't have much experience with the freak gals, I'm guessing they get wild starting variations that ignore the caps. She didn't have any titles to explain it.
Can never figure out what a good time to set them up is.
One tip that does help (which I didn't follow) is that bases are much less likely to be attacked when small. To be truly conservative, start the base with the bare minimum of rooms needed to set up defenses and then add everything else after. Still not foolproof though, and arguably not worth the time wasted given that the risk should be pretty small.

One tip that does help (which I didn't follow) is that bases are much less likely to be attacked when small. To be truly conservative, start the base with the bare minimum of rooms needed to set up defenses and then add everything else after. Still not foolproof though, and arguably not worth the time wasted given that the risk should be pretty small.
I assume large buildings like Sectoweed count as 4x for size then?

I'm not sure Sectoweed farming is worthwhile, the profit is fairly low and it makes for a very indefensible base layout due to those modules being wide open. Feels like if you want a defensible base you first need to build something like

Code:
HH____
HH____
_A____
CCC___
_C____
______

Which is like 2 months build time before you can even start to make money, and if you're gonna have all that crew capacity why not go manufacturing? And you need crew quarters not burrows because burrows don't have the useful rooms and upper level to hide in.

Damned Registrations

The sectoweed fuels the manufacturing. Crafting Canteens or Cigars is a lot more profitable than making X-Grog. Apples are better, but you can't farm apples.

Ultimately base defense is more about having defensive structures. I just don't have any yet because the game is fucking cruel. :despair: I should have beelined for the firebombs in retrospect. The tech tree still feels very slippery and random to me right now. I discover things I've never seen before with seemingly less tech, and can't find things I always had before with seemingly much more advancement. But because of the way the game lets you know when new techs are available, it feels like a tractable problem in the long run. At least for the early game stuff needed to get off the ground. I know I also revealed a ton of random crap via data disks, which I havne't really dug into yet in this playthrough. We're nearing the point where I will though, and I expect glorious results.

Anyways, there's an update to be had!

An interesting event. Feels like it might have a different result if we had better car related tech?

haG9tTg.png

We interrogate the engineer. Engineers are a cut about the researchers and technicians and shit; they have actual body armour and the first time you grill one you unlock a new tier of technologies.
2sEjojs.png

Along with some nice freebies sometimes! We clearly need something else alongside this to use the really fancy alien guns, but it's a start.
F8Q6WAh.png

Definitely some important stuff here. Alas, unlike vanilla merely knowing about hyperwaves won't let us read aircraft missions. It's a start in that direction though.
FtX7kSO.png

Again with this. Definitely the result of that male touch tech. I've got more than I need right now honestly, which is a good problem to have. I start giving people their sargeant training for the bonus strength, and will do some other similar stuff with our other training options. I should go over some of those actually, we have quite a few now.
BmdQmOT.png

This, sadly, didn't unlock anything. I'm grasping at straws here. Really baffled why... fuck I just realized the problem. We have no necroplane parts. Those probably gate off a huge section of the tech tree related to flight. Motherfucker. I normally find some randomly by now. We can get some by shooting down a necroplane, but we'll need a better gunship. If we must I can spend 1.5 million on Jack's bounty tokens to unlock one that will do the trick. Next update we're unlocking some new aircraft for sure.
D4okU2s.png

The prepper mission is a sort of middle ground mission. They're better armed than bandits and have a little bunker to hide in, but they lack fancy shit like nightvision so they can be handled very easily at this point. The loot is nothing special at this point, they're mostly a means to get the bare minimum needed to take down enemy aircraft that can't shoot back.
z57vsbz.png

Mission goes off without a hitch and we get a pile of infamy and shitty guns.
cmvysw0.png

Another shot in the dark, hoping better relations here will give me some kind of contact I'm missing. Nope.
RamMblN.png

Lokk'naar slayer armor is actually pretty dope. It's basically their version of chitin armor, and given the weak enemies they tend to face in the small cave missions, it's quite effective. Building a team of these guys and doing a bunch of cave missions is a viable plan for sure. I just find the cave missions a bit tedious as the enemies tend to be scattered in every last nook and cranny of the map.
eFs56yL.png

A slow month for sure, and our maintenance is now over 3 million. Oof, there goes that pile of money I had stockpiled. We ran out of apples too, so our manufacturing income just got cut to a mere quarter of what it was.
sqDYXRR.png

A logical step towards making cool aircraft... but no dice so far.
pIMjgrN.png

And here we have the reason catgirls are bonkers OP horseshit. Grav-boots are a catgirl only variant of the grav harness. Unlike the shitty human version, they get way more bonus TUs, they can SPRINT THROUGH THE AIR, a major reactions boost, and have an evasion score that will make them basically immune to melee. Catgirls with these are god damned terrifying, and that's not even the best part, which is their utility for rescuing injured units on the front lines and retreating to safety, or picking up armred grenades and simply dropping them at the feet of enemies without even needing to throw. Oh, and she could throw an entire stack of 8 ninja stars and still have both TUs and energy to spare. Echidna is now a rockstar, and I'm going to be incredibly sad when she dies to some bullshit before getting so many titles she can't die.
xwtkBH0.png

Base defense really isn't even that hard to set up, we just had really shit luck with that last raid and I was being way too greedy with the first. We'll claw this back.
Y2lfqHZ.png

Behold the mighty huntress. Her first mission with the new boots was an academy outpost in the jungle, and luckily she didn't get sniped out of the air by a flying saucer. She even scored a kill with the ninja stars while playing hide and seek in the canopy. Lame xp reward though.
hK14d1r.png

We also ran another trbals lost in catacombs mission. Didn't manage to capture a momma spider like I wanted, but we did save all 6 tribals for a big infamy boost and setting them free when we got back gave us the 30 guaranteed blessings (nice) and a Sivalinga Stone, which is VERY nice. Not needed as much right now, but great to have in the long run for sure.
8rMCrp1.png

Our green codex isn't readable at the moment (probably need some other bullshit to get more secrets from it) but it has saved us from the plague, which is a nice reward. We're still drowning in research options but the ones that could concievably be gating our aircraft are getting slim, and we are unlocking some good results, like those hover boots, sniper ammo manufacturing I skipped over, and superior gun to take onto our shitty helicopter, which might be enough to take down a necroplane.
vrSAXkA.png

The sectoweed fuels the manufacturing. Crafting Canteens or Cigars is a lot more profitable than making X-Grog. Apples are better, but you can't farm apples.
I'm not 100% sure on that. Yes if you look purely on RoI, sectoweed is better. But you run out of base space so quickly and if you're throwing down 2M on base structures/troops/etc to defend the base then more bases is substantially costly. Might just be better to concentrate it all on one base and go for the X-Grog.

Ultimately base defense is more about having defensive structures.
Defensive structures? Are there things that spawn automatic guns like enemy bases have? Or are you talking about the stuff that shoots down approaching ships? I've never used the latter because IMO the fact that they are random, if they fail you still have to fight the full enemy force (no advantage for dealing 90% of the ship's damage), and you don't get the loot/score for shooting them down means you're effectively paying like 500k to defend the base ontop of the cost and build slots needed for the facilities themselves.

The tech tree still feels very slippery and random to me right now. I discover things I've never seen before with seemingly less tech, and can't find things I always had before with seemingly much more advancement. But because of the way the game lets you know when new techs are available, it feels like a tractable problem in the long run. At least for the early game stuff needed to get off the ground. I know I also revealed a ton of random crap via data disks, which I havne't really dug into yet in this playthrough. We're nearing the point where I will though, and I expect glorious results.

I know you aren't using the tech tree peaker, but it is an intended part of the game and very useful for stuff like this. There are very specific equipments that require absurdly specific stuff things to research. For example I just remember that the motion scanner exists and what was blocking me from unlocking it was...

researching landmines. I mean it makes sense but cmon...

Ironically, the more you know about the tech tree to beeline certain techs the more likely you are to never unlock other less important but still vital techs because you weren't randomly researching everything you find.

Anyway my game went to shit after two bases went up in flames and I can't deal with enemy base score so imma restart. Throwing out some random tips/thoughts:

- Day 1 sell both security corridors and armored vault. Buy 2 brainers. Sell Junk Pile to make storage space, it seems kind of useless?
- Don't recruit castaways as hands, wait till you can recruit them as brainers. Saves 150k each.
- Slavery is kinda meh, seems to take an average of 10 months for a slave to pay back not being ransomed. Probably not worth beelining slavery and instead ransom and invest in infrastructure.
- Get craft battery pack early to extend airbus range to reach most of the globe. Req craft weapons and craft systems. One of those things I sat on for months not realizing how it worked.
- Airtruck seems by far the best early game ship but it has some very specific unlock requirements. Contact Car Thieves, Ship Junkyard, Small Ship Engine, Tinkering, Basic Engineering, Hellerium, Underseas Operations. Could probably get all of those by July or so if you beelined. 10 crew, proper ship with a 2 tile entrance bay and no fucking awful windows to be shot through on the first level, 2nd level with a door you can peak out of and set up good sniper spots, better range than airbus.
- Make sure to have full groups of peasants and lokknars for specific missions that only use them.

Damned Registrations

Are there things that spawn automatic guns like enemy bases have?
There are, and even cooler things too like
beehivies that spawn swams of uber bees to fight
on your side or corridors lined with firebombs that go off each time an enemy enters them.
and that's just the low hanging fruit. I don't even know what will be available later but it certainly seems like base defense becomes a non-issue in the long run. You can also
get stealth systems that prevent the base from being attacked at all, though it's prohibitively expensive to make it 100% reliable.

There are, and even cooler things too like
beehivies that spawn swams of uber bees to fight
on your side or corridors lined with firebombs that go off each time an enemy enters them.
and that's just the low hanging fruit. I don't even know what will be available later but it certainly seems like base defense becomes a non-issue in the long run. You can also
get stealth systems that prevent the base from being attacked at all, though it's prohibitively expensive to make it 100% reliable.

Now that would be useful. If defenses are even a fraction as good as the AI's base defenses then I'd happily let them assault my base every week, free loot/infamy. At the moment base defenses already seem like mostly free stuff so long as you build the base properly and have some skilled melee troops.

Luka-boy

Arcane
You really have bad luck with RNG this run :salute:

Anyway, if you're planning to incercept the Necropirates in the sky don't forget to have your Gals sing the traditional battle hymn when engaging other pirates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom