Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress X-Piratez! Ironman! No spoilers! Oldschool X-COM Total Conversion with mutant amazon pirates. Death to the star gods!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
he tech tree still feels very slippery and random to me right now.
It's probably intended that you middle click the researches to figure out what leads where.
But I totally agree.

Meanwhile in my run I'm on may, and have taken out 2 landed guild ships, and am in the process of setting up a farm base (no sectoweed though, so each farm only pays for the upkeep of a single brainer). I went for a helicopter to try and shoot some stuff down, but the total take so far is a single car and a single warband (didn't even spawn a mission). Does not feel like it's worth a hangar slot. Most shipping can outrun it, and everything with a gun can outshoot it. I did get a spike launcher from one of the landed ships, but haven't tried it yet.

I think I am doing good at 13 brainers, but I have also done some save scumming (mostly to escape tpk missions, but also trying different approaches if I lose 3 dudes due to a poor approach of a bad situation. Fucking zombie strixes) and am playing on 3rd difficulty. Helps a lot to take some guidance from this lp as well.

Having a lot of fun. Even woke up on my own 30 minutes before the alarm and decided I might as well get a little pirating in.

Your rng seems really bad. But it's fun to read. That grav-cat does look hella op. Why are you using throwing for cats, when it seems to be their worst stat?

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Why are you using throwing for cats, when it seems to be their worst stat?
Because throwing uses a flat amount of TUs, while guns use a %. Even with 200 TUs, a cat can still only fire an aimed sniper rifle once Vs a dozen throwing stars. And while it's a bad stat (not nearly as bad as HP) that's something that can be overcome with the right titles. Get 30 or so kills with a hunter bow, and you've got like a flat +15 to throwing beyond your cap.

It's probably intended that you middle click the researches to figure out what leads where.
Oh definitely. It's probably also intended to keep a backup save in case you lose your entire elite squad of veterans to a single wimpy looking zombie (100% agree about the strixes). But I like what I like.

Does not feel like it's worth a hangar slot.
If you hadn't taken out that warband you'd have seen like 15 more spawn and ended the month with -2000 infamy. If you want to get something out of them, you can let some extras spawn before shooting them down, kills with aircraft reward the pilots with xp for shooting, reactions and bravery.

Time for a longer update:
The search for a decent fucking aircraft continues. You know, the start without the drill gives you access to one almost immediately. I used to think it was pretty shit but I'm really longing for it now.
VCXrX99.png

Well, that doesn't seem useful. Air musket is weird enough it might be related to something, but we've still got other parts of the barrel to scrape.
7ZwYGL5.png

I've decided to work on some more interrogations. The results of them are so random, I feel like there's a good chance they're where I'm missing some key bit of tech- some type of food or weapon or treasure that a captive might give info on could be the key to unlocking stuff. Also, I fucking love Canada's role in the game.
W4kuwuG.png

I recall these being very useful in a previous run. We haven't found any 14mm turrets though, which seems weird because I often had them early before...
lsKhJoa.png

The spike rockets themselves might not be helpful here, but researching them might lead to something. Also...
BKaLw1P.png

We get the Gecko SAM unlocked as part of this prize. It's basically a handheld SAM with no use in ground combat. That means we can mount it on things like trucks, and with a bit more research make a craft version too. It's actually pretty decent damage, so I suspect this + trucks is an intended strategy for taking down bandit zeppelins early on.
KxncVUH.png

As mentioned before, some details on the training system. Basically, once you unlock these, they have several aspects. First is the cost and required facilities. The cost can be money, items, glamour, whatever. It's generally not a big deal, althrough nepotism costs a cool 100k and is unlocked at a point where that isn't trivial. The second aspect is eligibility. You can't give sargeant training to a catgirl or uber, it's only for the men. Likewise, MMA training is only for mutants. Gnomes can take it, or ubers or a bunch of other types, but not slave soldiers or peasants. The last aspect...
Cg3KocT.png

Is the time it takes. Listed here is a recovery time of 21 days. MMA training has one of the harshest recovery times. I'm not sure if medical facilities speed this up but I think it does. It's certainly one of the best transformations I've seen; it gives hefty bonuses to reactions, bravery and melee, which can all be difficult to raise. It won't raise these beyond the racial caps though, which is why we're only listing +7 TUs here. Also, the 'Bonus stats' listed underneath are the result of a title recieved for doing this, which means it can exceed caps. If I had half a dozen ubers to spare I'd be cycling everyone through this, or at least the ones with bravery over 70, which seems to be where it gets harder to train in combat.
KcQGqPX.png

Personal Attention doesn't cause wounds like the MMA training, but instead just vanishes the soldier for 6 days. They'll arrive afterwards in perfect health, but won't be around to defend the base in the meantime. This is one of the stranger training options, but certainly has it's uses for races with really low caps in some areas, like our catgirl here. Some extra hp, str and frs will go a long way. We send her off.
0Y5Lixm.png

I've been having our two perfect gals train to be melee experts, since their innate armour will go a long way to keeping them alive on the front line. To that end, I've given them poison daggers to acquire this trait. The HP recovery isn't massive, but it will stack with their innate HP recovery and can be a lifesaver if they end up with a lot of wounds. or really low hp and start taking overstun damage. Knives aren't the only way to get this of course, there are lots of poison weapons available. Poisoned arrows on hunting bows is probably one of the easiest in the early game with rogue outfits and soft targets like bandit camps and brothels. Later on, you get access to quite a few types of gas grenades, which deal choking damage. You can even get this accidentally by killing people with overstun damage if you run around knocking people out with whips and ninja sticks a lot, which was how I first discovered the title.
A6EIq6A.png

Another stab at the techtree. I know this will unlock some cool shit.
ZzEyu1M.png

Hmm, I didn't realize it was linked to the *stop targeting civilian traffic* option. I feel like we shouldn't take that yet, given we can't fight worth shit in the air. It's certainly nice later though when you don't want to be hassled by the popups for pointless targets all the time. The Satellie network might be fruitful, but it's a long research.
PQ45W2U.png

This one popped up after researching various mushrooms. Never seen it before, probably linked to the green codex.
Tq0Bp6b.png

Stuff like this is why I keep interrogating weak bandit scum. Saved me from potentially losing a 500k treasure by researching it later on.
1TJEjcp.png

Time for a new mission!
S6AZg32.png

Comm towers are intimidating, but the AI tends to bungle things badly enough to make them pretty easy given the strength of the defenders. These twits built their tower next to a lightsource, so even the boys without nightvision can take potshots every time one of these idiots climbs onto their roof. We gain access to a nearby roof as well for even more sniping angles, and on an open map we could fire through the windows. Sniping is OP.
VNg4Jdt.png

I made a fuckup here: I got next to this fucker to ruin his chance of firing at me, but I have only 1 energy left. It consumes a tiny bit of energy (like 4?) every time you deflect a gun, so all I've actually dune here is put a gal at point blank range to get shot a bunch. Luckily, the little shit just runs away. Possibly because he didn't even see her. The AI doesn't seem to cheat with it's awareness, unlike fucking Xenonauts and it's bullshit omniscient soldiers.
SlehB3a.png

Also, can I just take a second here to praise the fucking leather whip. I didn't get a chance to go really crazy with the throwing training on this LP before we had to switch to guns, but hitting 100 throwing with glas is very easy, and bow + whip makes for an amazing combo. With 100 throwing, the whip hits for fucking 35, which is better than a hunting rifle. Sure, it's less useful vs armour, but it's also a measely 14 TUs to fire, perfectly accurate with that much throwing, does TU damage and a massive 1500% morale damage. Whips are amazing for captures, and even if they get back up their morale is probably so fucked they won't pick up their gun. Oh, and they train throwing instead of melee, so they're a great way to do that on melee characters if that's a thing you want to do.
p76T8RP.png

The towers provide better weapons to their troops than the warehouses, so even lowly security can be found toting things like this grenade launcher or a sniper rifle. The bonus being, of course, that means we can still those excellent weapons!
WrFq8ya.png

Towers also tend to contain at least one engineer. Again, a high priority capture target that could reveal some great tech. Unfortunately, this one elected to unalive himself by climbing onto the roof in full view of 3 snipers with full TUs.
UxTqfSP.png

The tower itself is 5 stories tall and the rooms vary a bit. They all have that little elevator room stuffed in the corner though, which makes melee fighters invaluable here. Just be careful not to stand in the elevator hoping to kill someone opening the door and then eat a point blank SMG burst in the top of your head through the elevator shaft itself.
ANyVRMD.png

A perfect mission. I've been racking up a ton of missions lately, most not even worthy of mention.
8tm6BAx.png

The xp for them has been pretty awful, to be honest. It's not a complete waste of time but it's sure no zombie hunt.

LJdXtvn.png

And of course, the titles are always nice to pick up. I was especially happy to see gal of steel on the Bride. MOAR ARMOUR.
PcI2sM2.png

Speaking of more armour, I'm also still trying to unlock chainmail. I suspect I'll need to unlock that from one of the better armored soldiers like osiron security. Still, these middle ranking officer types are decent too. This one gave me details on rubies though. Ugh. Probably could have got that info from a hoe.
lrCJCO8.png

I bite the bullet and research this thing, since we're not likely to unlock it by chance any time soon. To my pleasant surprise, it didn't eat the gun! We can actualy use this thing! 80 plasma damage is brutal, and could probably burn a hole even in some really nasty stuff.
51MnOhh.png

Does researching undersea operations reveal technology related to making supersonic aircraft airtight? No. No it does not. Good tips for water though. We still can't do those missions either. Ugh.

WKvFPlP.png

Not sure when I picked up a piece of this, but if we can get 5 more we could reconstruct this armour. Which would probably be a total waste tbh; it's realy not even that good since the 200% multipliers apply before the flat reduction. A 100 damage sniper round hitting this from the front would dish out 85 damage to the bearer. Chitin does better than that.
xRB902c.png

I'd honestly forgotten these even exist, despite them normally being way more common than zone stalkers. Anyone want to sign up to be a flimsy whore? We can recruit her.
9MYaDRp.png

Turns out the mushroom medicine was indeed relate to the green codex. Interesting.
KnvJZ35.png

Not actually useful though. At least, not right now. I could see a scenario where we'd use this, if I had a lot of mushrooms and wanted to use the supplies to make advanced medkits or something.
hVlHmmU.png

Well fuck it. I promised we'd unlock aircraft, and if we can't do it through research, we'll do it this way. I dump 1.5 million dollaros on Jack to get a measely 150 bounty tokens, briding the gap we needed to get this sexy prize.
ru5M4Hr.png

Looks a bit less sexy with the in game model. However, stat wise, this thing is kind of a beast early on. It can carry 2 guns, either light (which are substatially better than 'ground' which describes weapons so shit they'd break off a ship going Mach 1) or divebomb, basically bomb bays, which a lot of low tech stuff qualifies as. The description says very limited range, but honestly 5400 isn't all that bad, well exceeding our radar bubble anyways. And with a speed of 2750, it can outrun all but the stargod ships, which we don't want to fuck with anyways. It's got lousy toughness, but that just matches the little bird. No crew space is irrelevant for a fighter, and a single pilot is actually a bonus.
NJL0rvy.png

Single pilot means we can crew it with the best pilot we have and get the most stats out of it, as it normally takes the average of all pilots. I elect to pop our catgirl inside. She's got pretty good stats, and can use training in all 3 areas, which she'll recive every time she blows up an enemy ship. Which she will be doing a lot. Also, if I'm right about how the dodge bonuses work, this thing is basically invincible vs the inaccurate cannons used by the pirate blimps and necroplanes. We'll put that to the test as soon as we find one. The SAM trucks are off limits though, they could easily blow us up.
mcAAGS2.png

Well well well, our first target can't even shoot back. Avast!
wrRaxYC.png

Not a ton of xp, but for something that took all of 10 seconds IRL it feels nice.
CFzBOoR.png

The unlucky bastards crash landed on a farm, which means the unlucky bastards who own the farm are going to be missing some apples when we leave. One of the few perks of basing in europe is the climate here is mostly temperate, so it makes the crash sites easier to handle. Going to a psionic desert and haivng your team freak out just to loot a shitty ambulance always feels rough. Though I do generally prefer the desert layouts; they make sniping at night a piece of cake.
bzDRGaG.png

Lets, uh, not go stand inside next to the explosive barrels while our TUs are depleted.
M8S4Hnc.png

The ship only had 2 crew, both labourers. This bastard actually managed to hurt one of our melee gals with a shotgun blast. Only barely though. 10 health will be recovered in no time.
9h9M6HJ.png

A pile of apples is very welcome, along with the small ship engines and even the labourers might reveal some nice base construction tech.

4YkiETF.png

Research plods on. Landmines will lead us towards some more powerful types of explosive.
Eort4Hv.png

And Aye-Phones for some bizarre reason. I already had one from the slots I think, but the option to make more would be nice. We might grab that aerial explosive too if we can't find another light gun for the pirahna. Though the 50mm cannon it's rocking right now should be more than adequate for the foreseeable future.
0AxAcEy.png

Well shit, apparently I never kept one of these from the begining, must have sold it while cash was tight at the start. This could be what we need!
di6npjn.png

This probably doesn't lead to anything useful, but it spits out amusing bits of lore once in a while, which I like.
e2dDrJT.png

It feels like this like tip pages never end. Definitely less exciting to see these when I already know this crap from previous playthroughs.
7CdvP3J.png

On a lark, I decide to research some of the more useless armour types, like party dresses and wench outfits, thinking it might unlock a mission or something. Instead I unlock a very important tech! Nice! I'm doubly happy to unlock this kind of weird shit, because it's helpful both now and for any future runs I attempt.
V9CJdUq.png

We interrogate our damsel as well. Damsels seem to be their own race, oddly enough, not counting as peasants. I suspect they're meant to be voodoo experts, which is of little help to us at the moment.
72HatwA.png

We get offered a food piracy mission as well and I snap it up for the infamy. We also get another huge pile of applies! Very nice. This pile alone represents something like 2.5 million dollars worth of income wants the runts are through with them.
j8KKwjJ.png

Masochist Slut joined the mission, and was outfitted in our hover armour, which I had just put on her while wounded so I could make use of the chitin armour elsewhere. However, she actually did very well as a flying death turret, picking bandits off from the sky while they ran through glowing fields. The 2H SMG she was using gives a nice title to boot:
b2SrL4n.png

Plenty of nice titles here. Also, Super-Size at level 8 implies some staggeringly high stat totals. Beatrix is really coming long, and Gandalfina is one of the original members who's been bouncing around between roles and is basically a jack of all trades at this point.
IkhYkUr.png

Nice!
Z7IusPj.png

These actually have pretty decent armour for standard human outfits. Of course they're incredibly bulky and fuck over all your stats.
uKxkbzp.png

We got another batch of old earth books too! Nice. If we could unlock schools that would be very helpful indeed, but I think I already read some old earth books, and the ones we need are a bit different. Pretty sure you start with the right ones on the no-drill tech path but I can't be bothered to make a run just to check that.
M6PmX4R.png

Oh, sure, now the asshole gives us a mission after he has all my money. Fucker. Whatever. I'll dump the 200 tokens we won here into the slot machine later.
kxSWjTB.png

Also, now that we've collected a prize from each of the 3 clients, we can build and then research the brass badge, which will unlock higher tier bounty missions. They aren't actually that tough and give better rewards. More importantly, they also involve new enemy types that can provide amazing intel. I won't spoil what, but I'm really looking forward to some of the stuff we can find this way.
P8BT58d.png

The first person to graduate the training dojo is Gandalfina!
ffth7gR.png

Honestly, one of the best parts of unlocking this is just being able to see everyone's stats (aside from brav and reactions) at a glance. Gandalf isn't fully capped in every area, but she has gotten as much as she can get from the dojo. In particular, it's kind of shit at training guns and throwing. Fiery Predator likely won't be far behind.
Oxp4ffs.png

We've finished researching the small ship engine! I just noticed it has a weight. Can you just run into a ship, grab the engine and then flee? That'd be hilarious, if entirely impractical.
qIZHYAU.png

Ah, the glorious list of tech unlocked by that research. God damnit. I had fucking shadowtech ships by this point on one of my runs!
m0CG6kv.png

Whatever. At least our crew has hit it's stride. Our snipers can just casually annihilate dangerous enemies like this academy drone before they become a problem now.
rG91p5O.png

And we've apparently finished 20 missions just in europe with 2 of our gals. Nice.
f61hd6A.png

Feels a bit odd to get these pages by torturing ruffians instead of from the encounters themselves, but whatever. These are where I was getting 14mm guns before. I've avoided them because as the document states, those guns are present on the field in ground combat, and I didn't fancy getting an uber gal deleted by a ship gun from 3 screens away. Those things are scary. We'll have to hunt one down to get the plane parts though. Normally by now I'd have seen the wreckage of one in a random distress call type mission.
yhA5bUQ.png

Another DILDO joins our prison. Maybe I should research that recruitmet option after all. If nothing else, we've got more crew space than prison space, and I don't really want to sell them.
MeNVaD1.png

Man we're just incredibly popular today huh?
olI3qPm.png

We've been getting a lot of these mission dossiers too. Some of them are fairly helpful, giving hints on how to spot a good target like mining ships or these supply ships. Others are mostly just lore dumps, talking about how the church kills off heretics or the academy harvests test subjects.
Q7tW3GU.png

Another one in a million shot in the dark hoping to unlock cool medieval style plate armour. No dice.
KSFinZX.png

Ah, I believe this is the result of that 'bandit business' tech. These are basically the big boy versions of the shitheads around the campfire. Still mostly weak shitheads, but now with some more drifters and highwaymen with rifles to fill out the ranks. Still trivially easy to take apart from afar.
20cvR1l.png

Oh, fuck. I forgot they had hounds too. I suddenly regret not bringing a melee gal with me.
ZiX1vrd.png

Also, I didn't realize there was a city layout for these, I normally found them in wastelands. This is actually really rough. Luckily the hound runs out of TUs before it can turn Pierre into hamburger.
ZDyyGeS.png

One of these fuckers too. We could certainly handle the retaliation squad if we kill him, but it's a pain in the ass that leaves no real loot to speak of.
B0rVhmS.png

You know what, fuck this mission. We're leaving. I'm not getting a bunch of people wounded in this retarded killbox we landed in for the sake of some shitty bandit loot.
oWEGZfg.png

Hah! The dog died inside the ship, and therefore counts as looted. Nice.
MipDpoC.png

Another decent month gone by. Finances are steady again with those apples. I'd actually welcome hitting that 3k mark and seeing the next promotion at this point, so I'll probably be more eager to take stuff like monster hunts. Maybe I'll even try a pogrom defense.

tuJFtna.png

I'm not sure if these unlock right away or in the following month, but we'll have access to some lucrative missions soon enough. We really need a nicer landing craft to do some of them safely though. Worst case scenario, shooting down a ton of shipping will give us a fuckton of infamy and give us the promotion we need to unlock new ships for sale from contacts. Now that we have the pirahna (I might even get a second to tag team some shit) we've got way more access to loot.
JR0Bgvz.png

New protip: go melee if at all possible for monster spam missions. Like when there's 50 scorpions or rats.

Stay in a formation to cover yourself. Don't stand just inside the craft, mutual surprise rule means they'll always react first if they open the door and see you standing there. You need to see them coming.
Fe4XXKq.png

Get awesome titles
GslbBUu.png

Yes, that's 5 ranks of this in one mission. I'll take a cool +5 armor after running two of these.
fAY5SOp.png

Of course there's also a shit ton of other great titles to gain, there's like 3 or 4 weapon categories you hit + progress towards reaction skill titles.

Also, just learned that you can use Mutant Meat/Fish/Egg to heal even when you don't have a wound. It does seem to require some kind of minimum amount of health (or lack of stun damage) or they'll refuse to eat it. This does count towards reducing recovery time when you end battle. You'll take a freshness hit but its still a net positive in terms of recovery and sometimes you just need to be able to field people for a mission even if at low freshness.

Last edited:

std::namespace

It consumes a tiny bit of energy (like 4?) every time you deflect a gun
8, you probably carry some energy recovery item, using them also doesnt cost energy, so you can run up to someone and chug
like in the situation on the screen, you could take a sip of beer to save yourself

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Finally started giving Xpiratez a go myself.

You weren't kidding when you said RNG screwed you badly this run: in my game not too long after teching the Male touch, got a hero who randomly turned up (insanely op stats jfc, better then ubers even) and then bunch of catgirls for free. Then more catgirls via rescue mission. Have been practically free farming uber recruitment missions too so overall haven't had trouble keeping up numbers and haven't felt the need to recruit slave soldiers to bulk up my personel list, maybe difficulty is affecting things (playing it on 2nd difficulty tier) but your rng really has been atrocious on that front in the first few months, zoners aside.

Still probably going to lose miserably though as am in month 6 and haven't got any craft weapons at all yet, sky ninjas have been bullying me hard so can barely leave my base anymore.

The "extended" button on the main screen gives you a link to the tech tree viewer. It's 100% intended to use it.
Maybe I'll even try a pogrom defense.
I have PTSD from them. No idea how you're supposed to handle things when there's 40+ enemies in a small area.

Granted I guess you should kind of at least look at every mission before leaving, sometimes you happen to get a very nice spawn in a dark corner of the map. Though Pogroms will penalize your score heavily for friendly units killed if you peak in and leave.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Though Pogroms will penalize your score heavily for friendly units killed if you peak in and leave.
No kidding. I tried it (just because it was often correct in vanilla), and I took -600. Meanwhile letting it despawn is a mere -100.

Also dogs are insane. My secondary base had to pitch in to clear a brothel (not enough range for airbus), and despite going in with a mere 2 dogs and 3 peasants (first mission for all of them, no training, domestic shotguns and ol carbines for the peasants), only one peasant sustained injuries. The dogs just tore all the hoes completely apart, while I tried to feed some kills to the peasants for stats.

Also holy shit zombie missions are free money/infamy as long as they don't spawn any strixes or funkies. 600 infamy for pure milk run that seems impossible to lose unless you get a truly awful spawn (or forgot to bring enough ammo. Many such cases!).

Seeing peasants rock so hard makes me want to try a peasant rebellion run.

What the FUCK?
Ran an amazing month where I got like 6000 score from missions. Month ended with -850.
ZPF3WDh.png

25YXVwT.png
A8GmhkP.png

Had great RNG so far, 10 brainers by the end of Feb and 13 by the end of Mar thanks to tons of castaways. Was expecting a super fat monthly payout to kickstart base 2 but instead I lost 1.5M on the monthly tick. Unless this is a single month thing I'm screwed.

Not sure if going for a research blitz had me hit a bunch of tripwires that caused increased activity or something? I did prioritize getting all of the techs that unlock new missions (the ones like !warehouse wars! and so on). The intent being to just power on one base running tons of missions with like 40 soldiers. Up till now it was going amazingly, have apples for days and was planning to really spam bases.

Seeing peasants rock so hard makes me want to try a peasant rebellion run.
Any interesting unique stuff you get? Hands just seem so much better and the expense is more than offset by increased capability. I only keep a few peasants around for the specific missions.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Now that we have a proper fighter, we can abuse the civilian traffic for some easy loot. We are somewhat limited by ammo at the moment, but that's a solvable problem.

jRst1VP.png

This guy scared the crap out of me, thought he had a cricket, which is a one shot plasma pistol that hits like a truck. He never got a shot off anyways, and it turns out the gun was one of the shitty ones anyways.
yeukMFp.png

Research has mostly thinned out the dumb shit like bandit guns and bits of food, so now it's mostly interesting stuff. Feels good man.
lr1Eb5B.png

If there is a patron god of X-Piratez, it's definitely this one. Life is a Carnival, Death is a Joke indeed.
yUFwBpr.png

Aha! Our target has arrived.
xAkPXUU.png

Easily taken down.
D0ondql.png

What the shit? Ruffians? I thought these things had necropirates. If I'd known it was just these losers I'd have shot one of these down ages ago! Well, maybe. The turrets are still a big problem.
OMyaBiZ.png

Despite us being surrounded to start with, we're actually fine here. All these enemies can't see for shit in the dark. Even our precious catgirl is getting plenty of kills.

80YK2Eo.png

Also, I brought along a toy for dealing with the turrets and the necro pirates that didn't actually show up. What does "Auto" do on a 4 slot rocket launcher you ask? It fires all 4 rockets in an inaccurate spray for a relatively small TU cost. We're far enough away that we'll need the aimed shots here though. But the auto option is great for overwhelming enemies way beyond our depth.
QlDV8f6.png

A nice shot. The rockets arne't the strongest ever, but they roll damage 4 times on large targets like the turret, so I expect good results.
aUCeoC6.png

There is another problem- it turns out the crash site is freezing weather. Echidna is taking damage each turn. So are some gals for that matter, but they can shrug it off with their ~100 hp. Echidna is going to need some days off after this.
OQEu1PU.png

Our aim is so bad at this distance the turret is still standing. At least it's not returning fire.
4W3NcXa.png

Echidna runs out of throwing stars after several kills. Catgirls actually get some remarkably effective innate melee attacks, provided the target isn't armoured.
nUfjBPD.png

We bust out the armor piercing sniper rounds and finish the turret off. There's still another on the opposite side, but now we can safely move out across the map.
ZuONS5w.png

So safely in fact, I decide the throw Echidna up front with a bow to get more practice in. She takes a lot of shots each turn, it's great.
9BB2jHl.png

We're out of the AP rounds, but even normal sniper rounds can get through the turret armour eventually.
xvApcgA.png

I didn't bring mutant meat, but we did have some eggs. Echidna chows down to make up for some of the health lost.
5ubJLKG.png

And that's a wrap! Necroplane parts acquired! And a ton of infamy.
oHDdJ7s.png

Tons of xp too. Not zombie levels, but a respectable amount for sure.
Ry2f910.png

We netted 2 of the 14mm guns too. Very nice. Though they're kind of awkward for use in gunships, as they burn 100 rounds when reloading even if you only used like 10.
Zcnx1yj.png

We also got a wand! No way to use it yet though.

q1EVZEb.png

And Masochist Slut earned some titles with her indiscriminate use of rockets.
3TNZf4q.png
FfYahXW.png

Lots of nice titles here actually.
ORNqMms.png

Ah yes, we truly are the noble defenders of the common folk.
QtrKqQi.png

We got some collectible cards from the civ ships. These seem to be just for fun; giving lore dumps on the various cities. But god damn the lore for some of these is cool. Christ, I've played entire games with settings more bland and generic than this one page.
sRmHpwc.png

We cash in those jack tokens as well. Here's hoping we get something nice this time.
4lASdtY.png

Another pirate ship!
lv2YfH5.png

Ah, fuck. Yeah these are the guys I was afraid of. They have heavy weapons and can throw dynamite. Or just walk up and drop dynamite at your feet.

cUFqNCa.png

Gotta admit they got style though.
etKgQHx.png

But fuck, that stupid handcannon hits hard.

Hw9VmM1.png

They've got pretty shit stats, but with their bravery that gun is shooting 59 damage bullets, easily enough to punch through our armour.
sBD4Yco.png

It's not the only threat either. Kiddo got ambushed by one while trying to get her melee on.

JrQ8h8b.png

They used this stupid blunderbuss with it's auto function. It might be wildly inaccurate, but when you're throwing 24 projectiles out in one turn, accuracy isn't that important.
D21wLbC.png

Oasis fares a bit better and downs one without getting hit. It took a LOT of stabs though. I suspect they're highly bio resistant. We can use him to practice our doctoring skills though, itraining bravery.
duLJq0e.png

After switching from the dagger to the catgirl sword, we start taking them down in about 2 hits each. Much easier.
IX8rUxc.png

Sniping was putting in some work too, at least until they somehow returned fire. Returned fire with what you ask?
N10fdGg.png

With fucking bullshit of course. One of them took a single god damned shot with this thing and landed it.

xWA4jAw.png

From that fucking far away. God, the accuracy must have been like 10%. We did manage to save her though.

ED9Y8MB.png

More plane parts, but no decent loot this time and less infamy.
sgvL8er.png

The main benefit this time was some bravery training.
LyuL9gH.png

3 dynamite on them as well. We also managed to capture one of them, which is quite difficult.
raELMKk.png

Shoutout to Oasis for scoring 11 damned kills with melee in that mission. MVP this time for sure.
6lEimMc.png

Slot results. Another super rare neutronium we can't actually turn in, and a zortrium and titanium as well. Not bad.
7WFKkvI.png

Firey Predator is out for 17 days. Pretty quick for someone who got hit with a fucking cannonball.
9011q9i.png

I'm finally on track for the chain mail. It turns out it was the durathread armour I was missing. I think I skipped that step in previous runs, so I didn't think it was needed.

kNr0xl1.png

We recruit our damsels as well, mostly just to clear the prison space.
YHyorHU.png

Overall, the slot results are pretty bad. We do get a space towel though, which reminds me that they can be bought from the nekomimi contact IIRC. Maybe we should prioritize that after all.
8YFWMsx.png

Goblin stats. As you can see, they're pretty shit all around. Really there's not much reason to use them outside of cramped cave missions.
QsKve4n.png

Also, that unlocked heat vision, which I thought I'd gotten already.

rP9ylLF.png

Plane parts researched!
gOELHmt.png

Just like I thought, that lead to aerodynamics. It's nice to have some direction for our research again.
5vmQfAf.png

We also get the gambling trophy. I only have a gambling problem if I run out of tokens!
frgHD6L.png

Speaking of RNG, you may notice there is a corpse in our airbus here. That is our beloved catgirl. She got shot once. From where? Good fucking question!
qacifkh.png

This cunt over here, which we somehow didn't spot when we left the shuttle to go melee the highwayman on the road. What a crock of shit.
0DBUG1J.png

Another one over here gets 2 reaction shots off before we shank him too. What bastards.

YWW8RP5.png

RIP Echidna. You will be missed. :salute:
LLvTsOJ.png

Finally got aerodynamics out of the way!

mhCPcha.png

...and it didn't unlock shit. That dragonscale armour is a vessel accessory. I'll research it anyways on the outside chance that it's also a prereq for some kind of aircraft, but it seems unlikely. Really seems like it's just out rank holding us back at this point.
60oNEnh.png

Well, now that we've got actual armour being researched, we're ready for that higher rank. This isn't what I was after though. It's just a half step in the right direction, it's basically just chitin without the annoying resource cost.
Rq5a9td.png

Behold! Our secondary base is defended. No way in hell is anything managing to land through both those 100% accurate radar guns. Time to load it up with money making rooms. And probably a prison.
6DhEcSt.png

Also, our radar has given the geoscape boobs! Huzzah!
fowsQIU.png

Ooh, this is a nice rare event. I've only seen a few of these but they always have cool rewards.
9hPtLp1.png

It's another multistep process. First we do the research...
GkGh9Zm.png

The we do a short manufacturing project for a random reward. What the fuck is a small disruptor shield?
KVikLyW.png

Hmm, fuck if I know, but it's fairly cheap. Probably goes on a ship as an accessory. Not on our shitty caveman ships though.
6c33lr8.png

Our first Shadow News report. I am a fan of these.
cQuBf1v.png

And at long last we've got chainmail researched! Is there a version without a shield? Yes. Will we be using it? Fuck no, 60 frontal armour is insane. On top of that, its got enough laser and plasma resist we could just plow our way into a reticulan base with impunity. Time to invest in melee on some more gals! Well, throwing and pistols work too.
HAwEAPp.png

There is a drawback: This shit is hard to make. 2200 work hours is a lot, and the parts are fairly rare. Or would be if we hadn't done a million missions by now. The bottleneck is actually that exquisite lingerie. Which can be easily acquired in those brothel missions we're apprantly never going to see.
0L7JU50.png

I actually quite like the Lokk'Naar.

Uber: Firing 40-70 max 120. Reactions 40-70 max 100
Peasant: Firing 30-36 max 120. Reactions 40-45 max 80
Lokk'Naar: Firing 50-75 max 120. Reactions 70-90 max 125

Reactions is one of the hardest to train stats (aside from bravery which you can't really... train, unless one of the bravery weapons does it). Starting high means much easier to get exceptional and a Lokk-Naar with a shotgun in a corner facing a doorway is gonna shit on whatever walks through. That's how I handle the underground missions anyway. Also while they have low TUs their exceptional Stamina means they can sprint basically all the time. It's only the low strength that is annoying. Also a smaller target. Due to how accuracy works its only a big advantage when at mid to long range but its definitely there. Also comes with built-in NV and camo bonuses. I'd rather have hands obviously but in a pinch they work.

Shame about the Catgirl. They do die quickly if anything can hit them, I try not to take them on missions where I think it'll get rough. Keep em for the easy night missions where they can sprint halfway across the map to hit something several times with a stun baton and get 100% captures for phat loot.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Why are you wasting those tokens on gambling? Shouldnt you be collecting them for trophies and a higher bounty mission level?
Maybe I just got lucky before, but I've gotten some crazy good shit from gambling before. I'm honestly kind of baffled I keep getting stupid ankhs and fun-go and novice robes. I got an infinite ammo long range flamethrower before, and a pile of sniper rifles, vibro swords, just all kinds of good shit. Also, the randomness lets you skip prerequisites with research. You can get fans without needing the fuso contact, for example.
Lol, lmao even
I mean, for the foreseeable future. Right now ships have a 50/50 chance of dying just to the overcharged radar, and that thing is crap. I don't care if we lose the base 3 years from now after I'm filthy rich.

Ohh, I'm pretty sure that Lokk'Naar can also see about 2 or 3 tiles further through smoke. In fact I think all of the "small" races might share this quality, which is why ratmen can suck.

EDIT: Yeah, their armor all has 33% thermal vision on it. Nifty. Ogres have 20%, Gnomes 50%, Syns 70%, Bugeyes 80%.

Lokk'Narr also come with 15 vision at night (vs. gal 12) and between -22/-6 and -16/-4 camo depending on what you put them in. That's actually quite impressive both at day and night, cuts down daytime vision range of enemies in half. Might actually try running LN as most of the dedicated ranged positions while all hands specialize in melee*. It's basically built-in Night Ops gear.

*next game (which I assume will come quickly, enemy score is way too high) I'm gonna intentionally farm the hell out of those +armor titles. +5 armor from wiping out scorpions and rats and another +3 from taking multiple hits in a single fight should make me practically bulletproof with decent armor.

Last edited:
Turns out there is a weapon that can train bravery. Rope. Kind of shit to actually use, but you could intentionally wake enemies up for practice.

EDIT: Also Medical kits (but not other restorative items like X-Grog). Interestingly advanced medical kits that let you use stims/painkillers still have the bravery XP tag, might be able to use them even when not hurt.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Any interesting unique stuff you get? Hands just seem so much better and the expense is more than offset by increased capability. I only keep a few peasants around for the specific missions.
I assume you get something, but I don't know. Not sure what you mean by hands? Ubers are good but rare, especially if you turn them into brainers. Are you able to recruit something else if you pick male route?

Rip echidna, we hardly knew ye. Also I am now upset I sold some lingerie, thinking it was not needed. Time to become even more paranoid about what I sell.

I assume you get something, but I don't know. Not sure what you mean by hands? Ubers are good but rare, especially if you turn them into brainers. Are you able to recruit something else if you pick male route?

Yeah by hands I mean ubers. You can recruit infinite amounts of them with girls are superior. And you need a LOT if you want to run all the missions you get if you rush all of the !techs!. But unlike the lower ranked soldier types (peasants/lokk'naars) their monthly price goes up the higher rank they are so keeping some of the lower ones might be a good idea.

Huh, looks like I'm back in business with a decent score for May (3.8k). I think it was some weird instance of hitting multiple research tripwires that caused a lot of hostile missions to run in the same month. Which is in theory actually good long term because you don't lost money for negative infamy while if that infamy was all over the next 2-3 months I'd lose money across all of them.

Question now is whether to build workshop or personal lab. First pays off massively (I have 48 days of apple processing atm), latter unlocks great stuff. I definitely think holding off on the 2nd base and not doing sectoweed is fine, if you focus on unlocking and running missions you won't have the runts available to process weed anyway cause they are busy with apples. Of course I already built one because... I dunno why, it just felt like I should? But definitely a mistake in hindsight. Could be starting both a personal lab and workshop if I hadn't. Have 21 ubers, 15 lokk'naar, and all 8 catgirls still going and skyranger from mutant alliance prize.

btw I did find a calculator to check how weapons scale and compare them: https://mk-fg.github.io/games/openxcom/piratez-melee-calc.html

Notably your best weapon for skilled gals is probably rapier or saber ignoring exotic damage types. Rapier for its better properties vs. heavy armor and saber for pure DPS/accuracy. Stabbing also looks to be a bit better vs. heavy armor than slashing (less damage resistance leading to much more damage), but higher accuracy on saber would pay off if you're holding off a herd of zombies or something and need it to get past their melee defense since you're fighting them head on.

EDIT: lmaoing at base defenses with maxed melee characters vs. trash

Sadly the captures are worthless
RrAFode.png

0noDleD.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom