Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X4: Foundations - Mount and Blade with space-ships. Now with significant Beta update

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can set game to 720p on low and my gpu can't go past 15-20% of use and game FPS is then mostly limited by CPU performance as CPU % goes to 100% not by GPU itself.

So your CPU is 20% used but the CPU is the bottleneck?

Got it :lol:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
X4 going places people actually started to create content for it:

Woo, it's about time the community really started back again with that kind of thing. As if Rebirth wasn't bad enough to the series and community, Ketraar attacking the fan sites like Roguey's was the chef/don's kiss of X community management.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At this rate, only 5 more years until it has the complexity X3 had at launch.

PROGRESS!

Perkel

Arcane
why do you care for its complexity when the game leaks and slows to a halt before reaching it?

It got much better with every huge patch. At release performance of both graphics and simulation was pretty horrible but with each expansions they upgraded they engine and it allows for much bigger wars, more stations and so on.

Blake00

Learned
Also keep in mind X3 was not a shinning beacon of stability and polish at launch either lol. We all have positive memories of it because of what it became after endless patches and addons. And even then there are still some old diehards who think X3 was worse than X2 lol (no I'm not one of them although I do have a soft spot for X2).

Love it or hate it, it's pretty much Egosoft's MO to release a mess of a game with a grand vision resulting in everyone screaming about how the previous game was better, they then spend the next 3-4 years fixing and adding to it until you get a pretty awesome final product, then the process repeats itself lol.

Perkel

Arcane
X3 outright doesn't have collision prevention feature which means that all of your fleet would just crash and destroy each other when you move them. If you have like 20 buzzards if you move them at least few will be destroyed. And god help you if you try to do that with whole fleet. Which is why later on people just used cap ships instead of smaller ships.

It took a long time for modders to figure it out and dev behind LU overhaul managed to do it after like 12 years.

Also SETA. Whole game was designed around it and it was painful to actually play it yourself. Getting from one side to other side of sector could literally take half an hour in slow ship without seta. Now with X4 travel mode you basically don't need seta. IT is still there though for those who want to skip some time.

exe

Augur
They made some new expansion for X3 recently, how was that? Does it have some campaign/missions or proper interesting exploration? Or is it just more of the same meaningless sandbox about spamming trader/factory so you can spam more trader/factories?

Perkel

Arcane
They made some new expansion for X3 recently, how was that? Does it have some campaign/missions or proper interesting exploration? Or is it just more of the same meaningless sandbox about spamming trader/factory so you can spam more trader/factories?

It was not Egosoft made expansion but essentially officiated fan created expansion.
As for how it plays i didn't play it myself but i heard pretty good reviews from people i know.

Basically if you want to play something close to vanilla + years of fan created fixes/upgrades etc. without going into total overhaul territory like Litecube or Xtended.

tindrli

Arcane

It was not Egosoft made expansion but essentially officiated fan created expansion.
As for how it plays i didn't play it myself but i heard pretty good reviews from people i know.

Basically if you want to play something close to vanilla + years of fan created fixes/upgrades etc. without going into total overhaul territory like Litecube or Xtended.
is there a review?

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Perkel Any opinion on REALSPACE MODS for X4 (Galaxy remake: STARS, Engines Mod and X4RSGE) ?

I am thinking about starting my X4 after decade on hiatus from X universe and I am not sure how to do it. This mod(s) raised my interest, but maybe I should just start Vanilla with expansions?

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel Any opinion on REALSPACE MODS for X4 (Galaxy remake: STARS, Engines Mod and X4RSGE) ?

I am thinking about starting my X4 after decade on hiatus from X universe and I am not sure how to do it. This mod(s) raised my interest, but maybe I should just start Vanilla with expansions?

I wouldn't try that on your first go into X4. It is changing way too much.
Just give default X4 with all expansions a spin even without mods it is great game.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
it's interesting, some nice new features. Focus more on exploration and "expansion". Cool new ships too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom