Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Xenonauts

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Yeah, that's right. I've decided to post a new LP. I've chosen a strategy game where humanity is fighting an alien invasion. Just like 4 of my other LPs.

I know others have done LPs of this game, but as far as I can tell, none have completed the game. Shame.

I don't plan on failing like all the other chumps. So this is your chance for taking down the alien threath alongside myself.

I won't be self-inserting as a soldier. So any soldier you see is up for grabs. At least until som other codexer claims him/her. I don't judge.

Anyways. I'll start off very mildly, with just 25 screengrabs. So here we go:

7edfbRj.jpg

3yzEZqy.jpg

We'll do the unmodded game, veteran difficulty. There's a plethora of mods out there, some sillier than others. You go ahead and play around with them if you like. I'm going to be showing off the base game, with all its flaws and imperfections. Why? Well, to tide me over for a while, and in anticipation of Xenonauts 2, which I helped kickstart (along with several thousand others). I might even do an LP of that one too. Only, I'd certainly self-insert in 2, as I spent cash on having my actual name in the game.

Anyhow, here's a list of soldiers up for you to claim:
9z2hCxU.jpg

Our first base:
ck9M7J7.jpg

I've chosen Europe, as I'm a Eurofag. Deal with it.

vNhF1Gw.jpg

The basic base layout I'll not muck about with. I haven't played this game since 2017, and that was the community edition. I'm almost going in blind here. Should be fun.

EjiZXbC.jpg

Anyways, we order a lot of new buildings, gotta spend some of that cash, right?

1jTBi9Z.jpg

Also, I want a lot more scientists as soon as possible. We need better equipment and we need it yesterday.

We've not even wet our feet in the game yet. Just started it and put down our first base. No missions yet. No new research unlocked. All is a fresh plate. I'll chuck the current Xenopedia at you, so you can read it if you'd like:
C3odnCj.jpg
C3odnCj.jpg

7q1yPOS.jpg

lHQdVkM.jpg

G7OUKMe.jpg

HwaLbDV.jpg

GhBSy4q.jpg

EukRBcz.jpg

ApZJ9N2.jpg

BUi5Ipu.jpg

4W1sxvk.jpg

psQCRmL.jpg

KeaHlqQ.jpg

wlt79w1.jpg

jpdlEcH.jpg

aifA57z.jpg

G0ds2lJ.jpg

kFmzbBd.jpg

So, any bets on whether I'll actually finish the LP?
I'm married, got three kids, the oldest now a teenager. I am the co-owner of a medical clinic employing 10+ people. I got plenty of stress in my life. Will this LP be a retreat for me, something I'll return to, to unwind? Or will it add unnecessary stress so I'll abandon it by page 3?
You tell me.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
You have a good track record, so I trust this will not die until at least page 4 :salute:

Are you using Community Edition?

Anyway, I'll claim Alexis Duval.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright gents. That's three soldiers taken out of the initial 10. Not a bad start.

I did start playing before people replied, so I shot down a couple of UFOs and did the first mission already:
ZkKxoAX.jpg

Doesn't take long before the first UFO appears. I scramble interceptors.

pPvrLK9.jpg

I got two interceptors ready to launch. It'll be fine for the first UFOs that appear.

hSaNKfB.jpg

I only just send the interceptors out though, and then a second UFO appears, this one closer to our base. So I have the interceptors change targets.

tcEaa8M.jpg

L5p2xzD.jpg

These initial UFOs are easily dispatched, even with the autoresolve option.
I like that the game will warn you if you're intercepting something over water and gives you the option to tail it until it's over land.

lA0fnQg.jpg

Yep. Easy. I'll remember to fight it manually next time, to show that part of the game off.

sBV0KNl.jpg

Also, you can just airstrike the crashed UFOs if you cannot be bothered to send in a cleanup crew. You get a small bit of cash for doing it, but you'll miss out on experience for your troops and possible loot.
On the other hand, it's perfectly safe. You will lose soldiers when taking on downed UFOs unless you're either very lucky or very careful.
Or savescum.

OVfzEKB.jpg

Anyhow, this early in the game, you really want to do the missions so you can get stuff to research. So we scramble the Condor.

2Un7Lb9.jpg

If you chicken out, you can still abandon when you're over the landing site. Seems a bit silly to do that though. Might as well just airstrike then.

4Y7Rho2.jpg

Briefing screen with some tips.
Remember kids, in this game, smoke SAVES lives.

urDrNI0.jpg

Pretty shitty deployment really. Only luck saved us from losing one or two soldiers on the first alien turn. I got shot at twice, but both shots missed.

KxD66T7.jpg

Other than that, the rest of the mission was simple and clean. Move in teams. Superior firepower is key here.
As you can see, I've got a lot of soldiers lined up just outside the UFO. This is a great way to commit mass suicide, if the aliens decide to chuck a grenade.
That doesn't happen often in the start of the game, so I figured we'd probably be safe..

Rm9DGDP.jpg

Yep. Just a single red-shirt alien.
Remember the part I wrote about chucking grenades? This seems like a prime spot for some flash-bangs, as they also cause stun damage.

nrzbxih.jpg

At this range, you can still miss, but it's unlikely. The redshirt goes down.

QYfO0gI.jpg

I also heavily wounded one of their soldies and finished him off with a flash-bang. It's nice to get some prisoners.

hRbZ1KK.jpg

And this is what it is all about. Wars are won on intelligence, and we're sorely behind.
All of this research will shorten the gap once it's completed.

Also, troops were claimed!

Fisd2Ga.jpg

Luka-boy is this strapping fella. Are you satisfied with your role as an assault soldier or do you fancy something else?

eDA3siv.jpg

Darth Roxor has chosen a sniper. Clever boy. That should keep him behind the front lines.

QhRNvfm.jpg

Same goes for WhiskeyWolf.

Again, speak up if you want another role or some other piece of equipment.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Briefing screen with some tips.

I... had no idea you could win UFO recovery missions through 'take and hold'. So THAT is why the assholes are hard-coded to NEVER leave the control room, holy shit.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Luka-boy is this strapping fella. Are you satisfied with your role as an assault soldier or do you fancy something else?
Nah, that's great. With that much health there's at least a small chance of surviving two or three more missions.

The Shotgun is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Alright, buckle up guys, 'cause I'm still high on starting the LP, and not slowing down yet.

To be fair, we've barely scratched the surface, and I expect to post fewer screenshots as we progress, and keep it to the important stuff.

Speaking of which;

oNI7wep.jpg

Another crash site. Nothing can go wrong here, right?

70ZSsgs.jpg

I've positioned our two snipers so they can look out the side-doors. The two shot-gun wielding maniacs flank our heavy gunner, followed by three riflemen.

ia02giW.jpg

This UFO was carrying Sebillians. They're annoying because they regenerate wounds really fast. So they're hard to capture alive and can soak a lot of damage.

L4DjLZs.jpg

Our snipers quickly put one flanking our dropship down though. Nice start.

VdeJIB4.jpg

Oh, and we've even got civvies toting AK47's!

VQFB4A2.jpg

Here we see to Sebillians huddled close together. If only our explosives packed more of a punch... Had they been Cesarians I'd have grenade spammed them.

Instead we try to play it cleverly, kill them with prejudice, then spot another Sebillian huddled behind a wall
BxvFqZa.jpg

It'll display the blast radius of whatever you're chucking. In case it lands where it's supposed to that is.

LQ2oQuS.jpg

A hit! Red numbers is damage, blue is stun.

jCeyHTa.jpg

Here there are numbers. Wasn't fast enough to catch them on the first throw.
Unfortunately, he regenerates so fast that I have to put him down instead..

11hh6WJ.jpg

So, we managed to get through without casualties. Just some wounds. And promotions. I'm happy with that.

Our first couple of research projects finish up.
Sbf6lUI.jpg

uUu84H4.jpg

Background lore. It opens up a couple of other research avenues.
8oMfHzI.jpg

A new fighter plane, and a "tank". I'll start working on that tank, as we need a proper damage sponge. And I seem to recall that vehicles have a better spotting range than our regular troops.

MhnX6Wh.jpg

First though, we want to know what kind of weapons they're using against us. I know that this'll unlock new armour, and I rather want that armour quickly.

We do get some free research projects finished as well, a couple of autopsies and info on the downed UFO.
8Cx8OmH.jpg

8SVViNh.jpg

I82vnyY.jpg

Again, research opens up new avenues, some more worthwhile than others. Alien Biology will get us new capture options IIRC.
knBWY1a.jpg

Finally, the extra scientists I ordered arrive.
urk6SUa.jpg

IqWyROI.jpg

They're immediately put to work. On interrogating aliens. Must be their favourite pastime. Would be mine, certainly.

JknwTQT.jpg

Also, now we get more space for people, aircraft and vehicles.

With that it's time to embarass myself, by showing how inept I am at aerial combat in this game.
dYo29lZ.jpg

je1Juc9.jpg

a1GMtj8.jpg

Same size as before. Auto-resolve let's us finish these off without any damage done to our own interceptors.

q6DUWpU.jpg

In aerial combat, you get this screen. You can see the target of each interceptor in the upper right corner of their HUD.

RT3tNDW.jpg

And there's a button to engage afterburner.

OGH3YzN.jpg

And one to do a barrel roll. Handy for evading missiles.

TPF8tXN.jpg

I don't do much, so the interceptors and the UFO just slug it out, and I win. I do take some damage though, being an idiot pilot...

rDr5OGg.jpg

Speaking of damage. Whiskey took some hits on the last mission. Still, should be safe to bring him for another one, right?

N0oPHzm.jpg

I37NRYc.jpg

ZHGzOWN.jpg

G9fytLp.jpg

Well, none of the claimed soldiers died. That's good, I guess? I really dislike Sebillians. And they're not even the worst.

HQkyATs.jpg

At least the interceptor is fixed up again.

TwnDaks.jpg

And our replacement meat arrived. I chose one with good accuracy and timeunits.

mYKzw0K.jpg

To finish this one off, our research on the plasma rifle finished.

N7OzEyS.jpg

N9T7rS9.jpg

And we really want better armour, so get working science-dudes!

lightbane

Arcane
Wow, it's been a while, Azira. Sadly, the last Xenonauts lp done here practically reached the ending IIRC, so yours is not the first one that will get to the ending.
It also used base game without mods.
Still, thanks for the effort!
Scrensho lps are slowly losing their steam nowadays, even in S. Awful.

Modron

Arcane
With that it's time to embarass myself, by showing how inept I am at aerial combat in this game.
Yeah right there with you after 2-3 attempts to do aerial combat manually I just autoresolved everything.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh cool, another X-COM LP. Hopefully it will last longer than the average hopeful recruit with a stunrod and a dream.

I'll take Petr, or someone less dead if he happens to be dedr.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wow, it's been a while, Azira. Sadly, the last Xenonauts lp done here practically reached the ending IIRC, so yours is not the first one that will get to the ending.
It also used base game without mods.
Still, thanks for the effort!
Scrensho lps are slowly losing their steam nowadays, even in S. Awful.
I've checked. Our LP database links 4 other Xenonaut LPs, none of them get to the endgame. The one that gets closest ends in a wipe with all Xenonauts dead and then LP abandoned at page 12.

I plan on being victorious. :troll: No other Xenonauts LP managed that yet. At least not here on the Codex.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah right there with you after 2-3 attempts to do aerial combat manually I just autoresolved everything.
It never ceases to amaze me that people suck this bad at the aerial combat when it's not only super easy, but also much more effective than autoresolve, and can allow you to shoot down UFOs much stronger and with MUCH less damage taken when played properly.

What's so effin hard about just manoeuvring your planes to shoop the ufos from the rear where they're safe? FFS.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It never ceases to amaze me that people suck this bad at the aerial combat when it's not only super easy, but also much more effective than autoresolve, and can allow you to shoot down UFOs much stronger and with MUCH less damage taken when played properly.
It's this funky thing called patience and focus.

Who knows, once auto-resolve doesn't just roflstomp any opposition, I might lean into manual combat and do better. :p

Modron

Arcane
What's so effin hard about just manoeuvring your planes to shoop the ufos from the rear where they're safe? FFS.
If all you do is get behind the enemies and guns go brrr safely what's the point of the minigame besides wasting time?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I dunno, but given that so many people say they get rekt in that minigame, it seems it's not 'wasting time' that's the problem here :smug:

I also remember it could lead to plenty of fun dogfights later on.

Modron

Arcane
The flight minigame was going to be more involved at one point with pilots gaining experience but the developers let kickstarter users vote on the order of stretch goals and they put pointless cosmetics like female soldiers over it.
:negative:

lightbane

Arcane
I've checked. Our LP database links 4 other Xenonaut LPs, none of them get to the endgame. The one that gets closest ends in a wipe with all Xenonauts dead and then LP abandoned at page 12.
That's odd. I swear there was a LP that arrived to the last mission and got a victory, even if the entire squad got wiped out.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I dunno, but given that so many people say they get rekt in that minigame, it seems it's not 'wasting time' that's the problem here :smug:

I also remember it could lead to plenty of fun dogfights later on.
From what I recall (I tried playing this with community edition and eventually ragequit) the autoresolve gets a bit funky when enemies that can dodgeroll get involved. IIRC the only way to hit those guys wtih missiles is at point blank, while the autoresolve gives them a 50% hit chance or something? I recal it being an annoyance at any rate, havng to figure out which planes to auto resolve against and which to dogfight. And the dogfights were kinda RNG as depending on initial placement of your planes it might be a cakewalk or impossible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom