Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

YEEEEEEEEEES!!!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Which menu? This one?

1294437818940.jpg

That looks like a character creation screen to me.

P.S., CrimHead, I saw that first version of your post. You consider me to be a Bethesda apologist?

CrimHead

Scholar
Crispy said:
Which menu? This one?

1294437818940.jpg

That looks like a character creation screen to me.

P.S., CrimHead, I saw that first version of your post. You consider me to be a Bethesda apologist?

Yes and yes.

That looks massively dumbed down even compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3. There's no way this game is going to be made with PCs even remotely in mind with an interface like that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I won't argue with the dumbed down sentiment even if that is just a character creation / levelling up screen. But you're acting as if the dumbing down of the series is something new.

At least I've accepted what TES is good for now.

Luzur

Good Sir
dragon killer

Player can gain "dragon shouts" after absorbing the souls of slain dragons
One dragon shout involves summoning a dragon to help you in battle, and another teleports you to a location

lore rape confirmed though.

the lore buffs is going to have a field day on this one.

Oh fuck no. Level scaling.

OH GOD NO PLEASE

those damn modders better go to work as soon as they can on this shit.
if it can be rectified that is...

El Dee

Scholar
CrimHead said:
Fucking LOL at that menu. Casual shit confirmed. Bethesda decline: complete.
The decline was already complete. If they do something about the level scaling Skyrim might actually be an ok time-filler.

Misterhamper

Scholar
Reading ESF, it seems like most people have forgotten that we were promised the exact same things for Oblivion - radiant AI, good combat, dynamic shadows, people doing stuff, etc.
Skyrim will likely be totally different from this preview.

deuxhero

Arcane
Luzur said:
dragon killer

Player can gain "dragon shouts" after absorbing the souls of slain dragons
One dragon shout involves summoning a dragon to help you in battle, and another teleports you to a location

lore rape confirmed though.

the lore buffs is going to have a field day on this one.

I'm hoping they are unrelated to the Akaviri species but instead are something likes servants of Alduin (kind of like the Golems/Atronach thing). This being Bethesda though, I'm not expecting they do it logically.

Turjan

Arcane
Yeah. What a completely original story. And dragons! We didn't have any RPG's with dragons in years! Fantastic!

The few images that look like actual ingame shots look pretty much like Oblivion. That's what I call consistency.

Rhalle

Magister
Ruprekt said:
"Radiant story" dynamically creates quests (http://i52.tinypic.com/2u9ig6d.jpg)

I'll nurture a mote of hope based on this tiny fragment of incline

Procedurally-generated Kill and Collect and Fed-Ex with randomly chosen mobs, packages and destinations is the opposite of incline.

That looks massively dumbed down even compared to Oblivion and Fallout 3. There's no way this game is going to be made with PCs even remotely in mind with an interface like that.
Yeah. They aren't even pretending with faux-parchment, quasi-old-school but consolized list menus anymore. That thing is fucking shit. Looks-- like the rest of it-- to be wrapped in shaders of awesomeness model 3.0, though. The tards will love it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
When you want to display statistics, it should not occupy the same row. It makes no sense to see a data in this manner.

If I cannot even tell the exact statistics of my character in one glance at the open character sheet, it's design fail. Having a fucking symbol that does absolutely nothing tied with the skill text makes no damn sense either. Good job. You fill up the TV screen, now where's my game?

Zeus said:
Aren't we the guys who shat on Mount & Blade, then spent the last year asking for more, more, more?
Dunno. Are you the guys who shat on Mount & Blade, then spent the last year asking for more, more, more? Did you sell out for money and affiliation to suck some dev/publisher cock, too?
Tsk, tsk. Shame on you.

Zeus said:
I'm astonished at the amount of bitching about the game engine. Bit it professional journalist, casual YouTube comment moron or hardcore RPGCodexian, there seems to be this universal blame placed on Oblivion's game engine.
Why the astonishment? It's a POS engine. All capitals and everything. Boy, did the fucker crash on me randomly every five minutes, location change, movement, NPC appearance or an odd rat fart, back in the Morrowind days. Then, came Oblivion, and - surprise - nothing changed. I couldn't even savour the decline properly! :x
Skipped FO3 and still haven't gathered the 'have-nothing-better-to-do' lube to try NV, for the same reason.
So, yeah, fuck Gamebryo. And while we're at it, fuck NWN2's Aurora/whatever, since I cannot into self-buttsecks to play MotB.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Codex will love it. You'll see. We'll have another 100 of threads praising another excrement that is Skyrim.
After New Vegas this is guaranteed.

Fallout was made by Obsidian
Thankfully it wasn't.

No MetalCraze, nobody will like it even if they do enjoy it. Bethesda=shit on the codex and so it is carved in stone. Everybody is excited by Skyrim and nobody dares to admit it. Everybody knows that it will be abysmal but at the same time, it's the only thing that really builds Envy/Hate/Hope. Nobody gives a fuck about ME 3 or Dragon Age 2. Skyrim is the event.

And if you didn't enjoy New Vegas, dear Skyway, you're just a fucking moron. And that's the end of it.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Rhalle said:
Ruprekt said:
"Radiant story" dynamically creates quests (http://i52.tinypic.com/2u9ig6d.jpg)

I'll nurture a mote of hope based on this tiny fragment of incline

Procedurally-generated Kill and Collect and Fed-Ex with randomly chosen mobs, packages and destinations is the opposite of incline.

It is very likely as he says - if you really want to do random kill/fedex quests ad nauseum, why not try Din's Curse?

Crispy said:
I don't think that's true DoF, is it? They just kind of freeze in the background and are blurred out. I could be wrong.

I know Nehrim has such a shader as well - I turned it off since it was incredibly annoying and hurt my eyes. I really don't know why people consider DoF to be a good idea; it isn't.

Zeus said:
I'm astonished at the amount of bitching about the game engine. Bit it professional journalist, casual YouTube comment moron or hardcore RPGCodexian, there seems to be this universal blame placed on Oblivion's game engine.

What matters is storyline, setting, characters, quests, combat and skill systems, not the damn game engine. Old technology allows RPG developers to concentrate on the important stuff. None of Oblivion's major complains will be magically addressed by changing the engine: the advancement system that punishes you for leveling up; the handful of voice actors; the dumbing-down of the game, so that weapons have just two categories; the boring grind of identical dungeons and taking out Oblivion gate after Oblivion gate--none of that has anything to do with the game engine.

Those things are important, but so is a good engine to power it. While gamebryo may be a good engine, the variant utilised by Bethesda is extremely lacking.
  • You are guaranteed a crash every 10 to 15 minutes, regardless of what you do
  • Even on low settings, performance will be absolute shit (seriously, I get 5 FPS on my rig with low settings; Unigine's benchmarks run heaps faster and are at least a hundred times more demanding on hardware!)
  • Shader/Hardware detection routines are horrendously broken - the below could be fixed by swapping a few shader packages
  • Shipped shader packages are broken/incomplete - with Oblivion I couldn't experience the evulz of "bloom" (rendered my screen completely gray), nor see shadows; with fallout 3, I had to disable heads to even get ingame; so everyone was running around headless!
  • With fallout 3 - my mouse cursor was stuck in the middle of the screen - which rendered me incapable of moving the cursor to points where I had to click to progress (to top it off, the wankers at Bethesda didn't even bother to add keyboard shortcuts for this shit) - they fixed this in 1.1 but added really annoying mouse acceleration.
  • With Fallout 3 - neither the pipboy radio worked nor did background music; the pipboy radio was able to play the incredibly annoying announcements from threedog and co; meanwhile radios scattered throughout the wastes worked FINE.
  • The sound stack does some incredibly stupid shit too; When transitioning between combat in Oblivion, the game would freeze for about 5 seconds, and would often crash too (segmentation fault) - disabling music fixed this.
  • Scripts would often halt in the middle of executing - This is seriously annoying. Take the birth scene in F3, it is a serious fucking pain in the ass to progress further with this bug in effect. It can be worked around by saving and loading your game.
To add insult to injury, their detection facilities also determined by rig was capable of running it on ULTRA settings.
I honestly can't think of any else, but there are a fuckton of other bugs modders have discovered and created workarounds for. I'd link you to the pages in the oblivion/fallout wikis but I really can't be assed.

OT:
As for Skyrim; I have no intention of paying any attention to that feculence; If the trend holds (mind you, I think Oblivion is a huge step up from F3), this is going to exhibit even further decline.
Between the incredible boredom I've experienced in F3 and Oblivion, in addition to the absolute inanity I've experienced in F3 (to my shame, Oblivion was my first venture into TES), I have no intention of playing it either.
Unless I can get it for $5 in a bargain bin somewhere...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom