Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yes . NWN 25 th overhyped game of all times in Gamespy

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I liked donkey kong country, but yea that comic strip is dead on. A company that specializes in hyping the games listing the most hyped games...

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
After seeing all 25, I dont agree with a big portion of them. Putting Donkey Kong Country high on the list was pretty bad, it should of been Donkey Kong 64. DKC graphics were good at the time despite what Gamespy says, the graphics alone pretty much bitch slapped all of segas add-ons in the face and was the game that officially slammed sega at the end of the 16-bit wars, giving Nintendo the crown. Their excuse of "it's just a platformer" was confusing considering alot of the top notch sellers of the 2d era were platformers and very high rated, DKC was designed as a platformer so I just dont get it. With Dk64 it was hyped alot because it was a period of draught in the 64s game cycle and Nintendo needed a big hit for the holiday season, and with "highly" acclaimed Rare developing it everyone thought it was going to be great. Well when it came out it wasn;'t very good, it expressed it needed the "massive" 4 meg ram expansion for superior graphics when a game like Bango Kazzuop(?) had better graphics and better frame rates dispite not having the need of the expansion. The was the first sign of Rare going down the hole, in now times they' weren't even worth their cost to Nintendo anymore, and got a good deal with Microsoft for them.(based on their past hits)

It seems like it mixes overhyped with overated in the article.

There more games i dont agree with, but i'm not going to waste my time on it.

Psilon

Erudite
Penny Arcade used to be hosted by GameSpy, but they've been part of HomeLAN for a while now. And yes, Gabe once did tons of art for the goons in green.

I think they were having difficulty distinguishing between overrated and overhyped, myself. For instance, both Daikatana and Battlecruiser 3000AD got deservedly awful reviews at launch. It's pretty hard to call them overrated. Unreal II's on the list even though it, again, got mediocre reviews; the GS personnel were just disappointed that it wasn't the uber-sequel they hoped for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom