Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

You should play... Drakan: Order of the Flame

Gargaune

Magister
Saddle up, grasshopper, 'cause it's that time again - the time when I tell you what's what because you don't know any better. You see, we've all got our share of videogames we've never played, but we really should've! And by we, I mean you.

drk-splash.png

Developed by Surreal Software and published by Psygnosis in 1999, Drakan: Order of the Flame is one of those spectacular videogaming gems that's nonetheless slipped from the collective memory. The game is set in the eponymous (mildly dark) fantasy world and stars Rynn, which I believe is the Cornish way to spell "Totally Not Lara Croft", and most critically, it co-stars Arokh, the red dragon that Rynn gets to ride up into the clouds. If that hasn't picqued your interest already, you're dead inside.

As a personal anecdote, my interest was firmly secured by the demo I found on the disc of a gaming mag I was buying back then, one of my first issues too. I still remember it clearly, it was the Wartok Canyons with the starting point moved up about fifty metres. The catch? I didn't have a graphics card yet. The game ran but all the textures were a scrambled mess of LSD vomit, and it still made enough of an impression that I went out and got my first "3D Graphics Accelerator", a little 16MB Riva Vanta!

Okay, but enough memory tripping, what we've got ourselves is a 3D Action-Adventure videogame featuring 3rd person combat, platforming and, the highlight of the show, dragonback aerial dogfighting! Now, before we carry on, let me be clear that Drakan isn't actually a straight Tomb Raider clone despite some similar elements (well, two in particular, I'll let you figure out which), and the focus is understandably quite different - the puzzles are lighter and (mercifully) so is the platforming, with much more screentime dedicated to hacking orcs and dispensing death from above.

drk-artwork.jpg

Fly me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

The premise is simple: you play Rynn, the quintessential 90s action heroine endowed with strength, courage and... well, endowments, going about her merry evening when the forces of Evil™ descend upon her village to go about their merry evening. Rynn gets KO'd and her little brother, Delon, is taken captive, so she's off to get him back. But to pull that off, she's gonna need help, and that help comes with a pair of big wings and a legendary case of bad breath - the dragon Arokh. From there, the stakes escalate... The plot never gets particularly complicated nor does it go po-faced, but what humour is present is done in an endearing fashion rather than the cringeworthy inclinations of contemporary writing. It's not a very long game, I'd say 15-20 hours at most, punctuated by regular in-engine cinematics as the story unfolds.

drk-mrg-story.png

"Succubi... Perplexing creatures."

One thing to note here... Back in '99, when games journalists liked games and the first YouTube streamer hadn't yet escaped the lab, devs felt more comfortable not cramming everything that's best about their games in the first half hour of play. Drakan's no exception and, indeed, it'll take you a half or so hour before you even get the real intro cinematic (featuring some of the coolest illustrations in videogaming ever) and then you've still got a bit more to go before you meet Arokh.

drk-mrg-cinema.png

A long time ago, in a galaxy with talented artists.

So, story out of the way, how does it play? While dragon action is plentiful, and we'll cover that, you'll spend more time on the ground with Rynn, either exploring dungeons on your own or unlocking gates for Arokh to follow along. The levels are usually a fairly linear affair, an established progression of hub worlds that you traverse in a prescribed fashion, but they're also wide enough not to feel like simple corridors and there's the odd secret or bonus loot off the beaten path. There's even an instance where the game flirts with an open map and emerging from the Wartok Canyons into the Archipelago is one gaming memory that'll never leave me. Like I said, the game doesn't frontload all of its best bits.

drk-mrg-rynn.png

The credits thank the devs' wives for putting up with "the other woman, Rynn." Ballsy.

When you're off with Rynn, you'll be doing tons of melee fighting with a side of archery and the odd use of magical trinkets, like invisibility potions or fire crystals. Rynn can also sneak, and while it's not a prevalent mechanic, it never hurts to pay attention for the opportunity to stab a sleeping orc. The game relies heavily on resource management and it's tight - all weapons (including bows!) and armour have limited durability, arrows don't grow on trees, and magic items have precious charges, so you'll constantly be rotating through gear and you wanna keep the right tools for the right job. Magic arrows pack a punch and have a limited homing capacity, and you'll really want to have them on hand when you take on an airborne dragon without Arokh. Enemies wear armour too, and that's when you'll want to switch to your Armour Piercing weapons instead of wasting them on creepers. And if you find yourself surrounded by a whole pack of the aforementioned creepers, I hope you saved that AoE Fire Crystal. Aside from durability, melee weapons have their own distinct damage values, attack speeds and ranges.

drk-mrg-combat.png

That last one's the small sort of giant.

Combat itself is quick and hectic. The usual problems of the era are present, with dubious hit detection, inconsistent AI and a floaty, accelerated feel to the camera that takes some getting used to, and you'll often find that just circling tougher enemies is a winning strategy. But it does the job. There's no lock-on here, no quicktime events, no convenient bullet-time warning you there's a blow coming - you've been bestowed sight and (hopefully) reason, and Surreal Software expects you to use them. If you see an enemy using a shield, you wanna swing over to attack his other side. When that giant axe comes up, you'd best roll under the hit. And rest assured, smaller enemies will duck under yours. And if you see a Wartok wearing armour, that's not just for show, he's wearing bloody armour! Additionally, not everything will politely walk up to you and wait for a hammer to the head, creatures like succubi or dragons will be perfectly happy to rain death on your from high on overhead, so you need to get the bow out. Shooting an arrow is instant but it ain't hitscan, it will travel to its target, so make sure to lead. Aside from this lot, you'll also have creatures who will politely walk up to you and you'll very much wish they hadn't - giants in this game are genuinely giant! You've been warned.

drk-mrg-puzzle.png

Drakan - a world with no Health & Safety department.

When Rynn isn't busy getting smacked in the face by whatever walks, crawls or floats around the world of Drakan, she's usually leaping across chasms and trapped floors, dodging giant boulders, and getting her gymnastics on with whatever assortment of spinning, swinging blades are in her way. Either that or figuring out some environmental puzzle. Or both at the same time. I've never been a huge fan of platforming, so I'm happy to say it's not all too egregious - usually - but there's a steady stream of it. Some of the game's more pressing puzzles just come down to learning from your (fatal) mistakes, and the advice there is simple - Surreal gave you a Quicksave key, use it!

drk-mrg-air.png

"Crowdragon-2 to ground control, we've got a bogey inbound. He... he's got a hot chick on his back!"

Once you're ready to take a break from Rynn's pedestrian affairs, it's time to clamber onto Arokh's back and enjoy a power trip that makes Todd's dragons look like a ride on a ferris wheel - "See that mountain? You can kill it with fire." You'll be dogfighting other dragons, bombarding enemy ballistae and mercilessly defecating on any infantry that's (mostly) powerless against you. Orcs and Wartoks are altogether at your whims, but Goblins and Knights have ranged attacks that can screw you up if you get in range, and Giants will hurl nearby barrels at you or, if no barrels are on hand, they'll throw Orcs. Which is every bit as hilarious as you're imagining it... until you find out they can do it to Rynn, too. But while riding Arokh is definitely the "easy mode" of the game, you're by no means invulnerable and if you don't keep moving out of enemy fire, you'll quickly find yourself taking a dirt nap.

drk-mrg-ground.png

Kiting in Drakan is absolutely hilarious.

The dragon isn't restricted to the skies and you can also just ride him on the ground if there's enough room, either outdoors or in larger indoors area. But things get even better, because Arokh's AI is a bit more sophisticated - if Rynn heads into a solo area (conveniently marked by the doorframe being to small for her companion), he'll actually tell you that he'll wait for your return, but if you take our heroine for a jaunt out and about, the dragon will take off and shadow you from above. He will then proceed to barbecue any hostile that comes your way and you can always call him to your side using the Dragon Action keybind. In fact, this is one significant detail you'll notice about the level design - most places could be traversed entirely on foot if you chose to, the paths are there.

While Arokh doesn't have any equipment of his own, he gets multiple breath weapons, the starting of which is Fire, and then you'll pick up Poison, Frost, Lightning and Magma as you progress through the story. Each of these has two attack modes - for instance, your main Fire attack is a long distance projectile, the alternate is a short-range continual flamethrower, whereas Lightning's main is a bolt that arcs to targets ahead and the alternate lobs a slow-moving ball that zaps anything in range as it goes. These have different tactical applications and breath costs, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I stuck with Fire for around 80% of the time. Additionally, while on the ground, Arokh can simply take a bite of any genius who's walked right up to his snout. Note that while on Arokh's back, you can't access Rynn's inventory, so you'll be restricted to using regular Healing Potions via the hotkey, but Life Potions are out of reach. However, when enemy dragons die, they might leave a soul spark floating in the air which can be collected for a free heal.

A parting thought on gameplay is that the title also included a multiplayer mode, but it's one I unfortunately never got to try out and I imagine it's not really an ongoing thing a quarter century down the line. I'm told it was pretty good, though.

drk-mrg-visual.png

Who says you can't have good visuals with twelve polygons?

Now, Drakan's gameplay is delightful despite its rough edges - variable challenge, wonky controls - but what absolutely drives the experience home is the art direction! This is an old game, we're talking about relatively early 3D where everything was made out of about two dozen polygons and you could count the pixels in the textures, but the visuals are still captivating in the same way that games like Unreal and Sacrifice remain mesmerising. The art concepts underlying both the 3D renditions and the phenomenal cinematic show supreme style, the environmental colour composition is exciting, and the game has a sense for proxemics that's rarely been matched. Things that are meant to be large feel large, going toe-to-toe with a giant, plummeting into the depths of Alwarren, flying freely through the Archipelago, they all capture that sense of the sublime that will stay with you for years to come.

I'd also like to give props for how beautifully the dragon's flight was animated for its time, Arokh rising and falling between wing beats, throwing his body around for momentum or gliding in a downwards swoop, Rynn counterbalancing on top of him, it's all quite lovely. Frankly, it feels much more dynamic and physical than the animations in Skyrim's Dragonborn DLC or any other takes I've seen on the concept.

Additionally, the game is scored by one of the best soundtracks in any fantasy production, an adventure in and of itself. The bitrate is sadly none too rich, but from the very title theme through to the end, Drakan's OST impresses excitement, peril and grandeur upon you in a manner that few other scores ever have, let alone with such consistency. Don't take my word for it, just have a quick listen right here. Hear that? That's not a cinematic background, you'll be playing to it!

drk-tech-1.jpg
drk-tech-2.jpg

How it looked back then vs. how it looks today.

While the graphical assets are dated by present day, the Riot engine that powered the whole thing was quite remarkable. For many years following its release, the game continued to work without a hitch, up to around Windows Vista, when Microsoft's casual disregard for legacy gaming started catching up with it. It was necessary to rig the game in Developer Mode just to manually load into the first level on a new game, and a nasty mid-game bug would have you crash to desktop upon leaving Alwarren.

But the dedicated fan community at Arokh's Lair kept supporting the game with unofficial patches and mods as well as all sorts of additional fan content and multiplayer levels. The latest compatibility solution is the comprehensive Community Patch (thanks to Lemming42 and Wirdschowerdn for pointing me in the right direction from my outdated setup) and it's all you need - install the original game, don't apply the official 445 patch and instead install the Community Patch in its Full form that includes dgVoodoo2, then sit back and enjoy! Well, you might also want to set Windows XP compatibility mode on Drakan.exe if you notice random CTDs, but see how you get on.

There are a couple of caveats to cover, though... First off, the Community Patch triggers a Windows Defender potential malware warning, which is why it's distributed in a password-protected archive. The author addresses this as a false positive (due to his unsigned application modifying the external game application) and he's had it whitelisted with a variety of antivirus providers, but Microsoft didn't wanna play ball. Second, while scanning the post-Community Patch installation directory with Windows Defender yields no more headaches, doing it with MalwareBytes will raise an alarm for two self-extracting archives in the bundled /Mods/ collection - both of these represent optional mod content, and you may safely remove them if you like, they're just alternate appearances for Rynn and Arokh. Third and finally - and relax, no more virus talk - be advised that the Community Patch will redirect your configs and saved games location from inside the program's root directory to a new user path location (Documents/My Games/Drakan).

Now, at this point my recommendation is that you use the Community Patch, but if you absolutely don't wanna go that route (you're uncomfortable ignoring potential malware warnings or whatever else), I'll briefly cover the older approaches. Install the game, then apply the official English 445 Patch. After that, you'll have to apply either the unofficial 445++ patch or the full Drakan 10th Anniversary mod (which includes the 445++ patch). Your mileage may vary, I had severe visual bugs with the Anniversary mod, whereas I've completed the game on Windows 10 with 445++ installed, but had to put up with the Windows title bar. If you still can't start a new game, launch Drakan in Developer Mode (hold Shift -> Developer tab -> tick Enable Developer Mode) and New Game will let you select the Ruined Village to start. And if you have trouble with missing audio, scour the web for a (legit) copy of dmsynth.dll and copy it into your Drakan root application directory.

On the bright side, once core compatibility's resolved, Drakan's a relatively bug-free experience and you'll only encounter the odd annoyance, like Arokh landing somewhere inaccessible or spamming you with "I can't fly here" until you find the precise square inch where he can take off indoors. Through the whole game, I only had two instances that forced a reload, once when clearing an encounter of Mummy Mages didn't trigger a gate to open as it should've, and once when Arokh decided to land his flaming behind on an inaccessible ledge. My biggest hurdle was this one elemental puzzle in the Temple of Trials that utterly tanked my framerate - it may or may not happen to you depending on what compatibility config you're running, but even if it does, it's still doable with some tenacity and memorization.

drk-box.jpg

Yes, I am showing off.
But if getting the game up and running is manageable, getting a copy, well, now that's a different story. You see, GOG's space is all taken up by visual novels and Steam is too full of Half-Life 3's, so you're gonna have to do this the old fashioned way and go adventuring for a box. Amazon may or may not still have the solitary copy available depending on your territory, but thankfully eBay still has a bunch of discs in various conditions, even the odd new one. Hurry, before some other, more proactive Codexer beats you to the goods!

And if you've got a moment, do stop by GOG's dedicated request page and give Drakan a vote, because if this title doesn't deserve to be in a catalogue of "good old games", I don't know what does. And if you do, Rynn will blow you a kiss. Or maybe Arokh will. Depends on whether you're prettier than this guy:

drk-orc.png

Are you? Are you, really?

That about sums it up. The game's plot is meant to pick up directly in the sequel, Drakan: The Ancients' Gate, which was also supposed to expand the gameplay formula, but since that was a PS2 exclusive, I haven't played it (yet). So, in conclusion, I've done my part and shared some excellent advice, now it's up to you to go out there and give yourself the gift of Drakan: Order of the Flame!

drk-desktop.jpg

~*~​

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Ah, back in time when people made OG Tomb Raider clones.
Never perfected the combat in this one or sequel.
There was some wizard in this game, on a level with series of islands. I swear he was voiced by Duke Nukem...

Really weird that both Drakan and Summoner (by Volition) was made on PC first and then PS2 exclusive with no PC version?

yellowcake

Arcane
Played it a few years ago, even made a few posts on Arokh's lair. I experienced the dreaded Alwarren bug. Great game nonetheless, and yeah open world archipelago was terrific. Great sense of adventure throughout, melee was not much more than bashing but managing (tight) weapon inventory for various weapon effects was fun. I'd say it should be considered PC Classic. Second game though is much less fun. While the first feels organic whole the second one feels a forced sequel with not much passion.

Gargaune

Magister
There was some wizard in this game, on a level with series of islands. I swear he was voiced by Duke Nukem...
The Archipelago, second screenshot in the visuals reel, he appears in front of the Temple of Trials. I dunno who voiced him, only Rynn and Arokh are listed and neither of them is Jon St. John, but Rynn is voiced by a Lani Minella, who's also credited on Duke Nukem. Maybe you got them mixed up? :-D

Also, while skimming the credits, I spotted Jordan Thomas (Thief 3 lead and Shalebridge Cradle, BioShock) on QA and documentation.

Really weird that both Drakan and Summoner (by Volition) was made on PC first and then PS2 exclusive with no PC version?
Well, in Drakan's case, publisher Psygnosis was already a Sony subsidiary since '93, and in '99, the same year of Drakan's release, the company was gutted and "consolidated" into the main corporation with an "SCE Studio Liverpool" rebrand to follow in 2000. Since the Drakan brand lay with Psygnosis, it's not that surprising that it got taken hostage to help push more livingroom gaming decline. But boy, was I pissed.

Second game though is much less fun. While the first feels organic whole the second one feels a forced sequel with not much passion.
Man, my passion would also suffer if someone took my soulful masterpiece and said "Good, now make a sequel for this shitty livingroom appliance."

Lemming42

Arcane
It's a great game that definitely shows its age. One of those early third person games alongside the likes of Urban Chaos and Rune that really deserves a remake; the ideas are all brilliant and it could still be a big hit if remade today. Fresh coat of graphical paint, smoother controls, more responsive combat, and it'll be ready to go for a modern audience.

Never played the PS2 sequel myself, despite hearing vaguely good things about it and being enough of a fan of the original that I was very interested in a sequel. I just can't be arsed with PS2 emulation.

As for gog getting it - until that happens, you can get it at The Collection Chamber, packaged and ready to go for Windows 10 (and probably 11, I imagine).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That about sums it up. The game's plot is meant to pick up directly in the sequel, Drakan: The Ancients' Gate, which was also supposed to expand the gameplay formula, but since that was was a PS2 exclusive, I haven't played it (yet). So, in conclusion, I've done my part and shared some excellent advice, now it's up to you to go out there and give yourself the gift of Drakan: Order of the Flame!

LoL, never knew that there was a sequel, probably because it was a PS2 exlusive (fuck you too fellas!)
That was a nice read, thanks!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Played it a few years ago, even made a few posts on Arokh's lair. I experienced the dreaded Alwarren bug. Great game nonetheless, and yeah open world archipelago was terrific. Great sense of adventure throughout, melee was not much more than bashing but managing (tight) weapon inventory for various weapon effects was fun. I'd say it should be considered PC Classic. Second game though is much less fun. While the first feels organic whole the second one feels a forced sequel with not much passion.
If you mean the game crashing upon leaving Alwarren, exiting the place backwards on top of Arokh usually works (Win7 machine).

Gargaune

Magister
It's a great game that definitely shows its age. One of those early third person games alongside the likes of Urban Chaos and Rune that really deserves a remake; the ideas are all brilliant and it could still be a big hit if remade today. Fresh coat of graphical paint, smoother controls, more responsive combat, and it'll be ready to go for a modern audience.
Totally, a proper, faithful Drakan remake would be an absolute thing of beauty. And it would definitely stand out in the market, not just because of its pedigree in an era when fantasy Action-Adventure was dripping with stylistic prowess (e.g. Rune, Severance: Blade of Darkness), but also because I've never seen anything else quite like it in these past twenty years - half TPP Action-Adventure, half dragon dogfighter, such an appealing and intuitive concept and yet no one else has tried it since, Drakan's the only one. But Sony seems to have completely forgotten about the IP since The Ancient's Gate.

As for gog getting it - until that happens, you can get it at The Collection Chamber, packaged and ready to go for Windows 10 (and probably 11, I imagine).
Btw the 10th Anniversary Patch is deprecated, better use the Drakan AiO Patch, comes with tons of bugs fixes and widescreen support. Best used in conjunction with dgVoodoo2.
Interesting! My fault for not checking Arokh's Lair before posting this, but they have a more recent Community Patch that supersedes both the old Anniversary Edition/445++ mod and their own AiO patch, it's meant to be installed directly onto a base setup, without even the official 445 patch. If I find some time, I might try setting up a virgin install to give this a go, see how it performs. I just finished my most recent replay for Christmas, but it would be nice to have a solution for the future that didn't have that damned Windows title bar.

If you mean the game crashing upon leaving Alwarren, exiting the place backwards on top of Arokh usually works (Win7 machine).
I've never encountered this so far in all these years from release, but the Alwarren crash is one of the first things all the various unofficial patches is meant to resolve. Still, that's a handy tip worth keeping in mind, maybe such a gesture of obeisance appeases the engine's ego. :lol:

Gargaune

Magister
Okay, done, reinstalled fresh with the Community Patch (with dgVoodoo2) from Arokh's Lair and it works! Looks perfect, music's playing without any extra .dll, the bug with starting a new game is resolved and the Windows title bar is gone! I don't have an Alwarren save to test if that bug's also gone, though I think it's safe to assume a patch that superseded all the previous ones won't have regressed such an essential function (this isn't CDPR doing it, you know). I might find time to load up in Developer mode and do a test run of Alwarren, wouldn't hurt to check general stability too, since I did get one crash in the ten minutes I spent horsing around. What wasn't resolved was Arokh's appearance being fully lit, that's a still a thing, but such a minor one that I'm guessing new players won't even notice it.

But anyway, thanks guys, it's awesome to have Drakan fully restored now! I'll have to rewrite the compatibility section above for the Community Patch. Maybe I should've posted my review before (re)playing the game, you know, all professional-like.

P.S. I love these little driver warnings on old install wizards. :lol:

drakan-setup.jpg

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Mournebringer is one of the coolest swords in any game

Totally, a proper, faithful Drakan remake would be an absolute thing of beauty. And it would definitely stand out in the market, not just because of its pedigree in an era when fantasy Action-Adventure was dripping with stylistic prowess (e.g. Rune, Severance: Blade of Darkness), but also because I've never seen anything else quite like it in these past twenty years - half TPP Action-Adventure, half dragon dogfighter, such an appealing and intuitive concept and yet no one else has tried it since, Drakan's the only one. But Sony seems to have completely forgotten about the IP since The Ancient's Gate.
Closest really is Divinity 2 (aka Divinity Ego Draconis) where you can be a cute warrior gurl who can turn into a dragon.

Drakan: Ancients Gates while not a bad game, is not a faithful successor. Like Summoner 2 was (also a console exclusive).

Gargaune

Magister
Mournebringer is one of the coolest swords in any game
Oh, fuck yes! Solid damage, vampiric regeneration, edgy visuals and sound effects... but the true selling point is the inventory upgrade! :lol:

Closest really is Divinity 2 (aka Divinity Ego Draconis) where you can be a cute warrior gurl who can turn into a dragon.
Uh, no, afraid that won't do. I need the cute chick to be on the dragon. I could even accept just a dragon, but not a cute chick who is a dragon.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's like Gargaune is my doppelganger, really scary after reading the whole review.
One of the games that I've only seen in magazine previews, and I was really excited about. No demo, just full version - and it was even better than I could imagine.

The world for the time when it was released felt really fantastic. There are some minor detours and places, where we can find additional items that will help us on our journey. Overall, it feels bigger than it really is, but the level designers knew how to keep your interest and not to repeat the same trick too much. Mike Nichols who worked as an art director made excellent work. Especially the enemies are a highlight for me - each one of them feel distinct, have different behavior routes and force the player to adapt.

The variety of places we visit, makes it really feel like a journey, where anything can happen. The fighting system on ground is really simple, but some new elements like ability to cut of hands or spider legs makes it so much better! Hell, I remember cutting the face of the orc once and was really surprised.

I've also tested all the custom single player maps, to satiate my addiction.
https://www.arokhslair.net/wp/order-of-the-flame/single-player-map-reviews/

I think the second part is still worthy of at least one playthrough. The continent is much bigger, there are many side quests and stuff to do, that it really sucks that it was Playstation 2 exclusive. Sometimes the limited memory shows up in open areas. Caves and underground section are really good. It works without any problems on PCSX 2, althought the manual bow aiming is painful. I use a hybrid configuration to be able to use mouse for looking, and keyboard for the rest.

We've got the town with a castle as a hub. We can buy new weapons and magic stuff from vendors. Plus some quests from the taven. There is more weapons to choose from as well, so finding the currency is obligatory if you want to make bigger leaps you better keep looking for it. This goes for the armors as well.

Art direction is "lighter" than in the predecessor - more light colors and overall it feels less dark. Rynn model has changed along with the voice actress. Same goes for Arokh. I preferred Lani Minella as Rynn and Jeff McNeal as Arokh.
But I wouldn't hesitate, and at least play it once. There is a lot to see here, believe me. Soundtrack isn't as memorable though. Music is here to highlight some moments and scenes, and I can't remember much about it. Tim Ebling with his dungeon synth like tracks sets the proper atmosphere for each segment of the game.

04eb45_5ae78b57ede3415faa3d56ff6fa40d0f.png

Drakan_-_Nightmare_Army.PNG

Oh, and Rynn is my waifu 4ever.

0c2aefedbf0f176408995f76a6f4040f.jpg

:love:

Gargaune

Magister
Okay, I just loaded up Alwarren in Developer Mode and bumrushed it all the way through to the Bellhammer and back into the Archipelago - no crashes of any sort, game looks and plays beautifully. I think there's something slightly off about SFX volumes, but it might be my imagination playing tricks on me. So far with the Community Patch, I've only noticed two of the most minor visual hiccups imaginable - the grey overlay of the main menu doesn't cover an edge on the right of my monitor, and I had two lightning sparks "stick" to the border of the screen pending a restart - so I'm content to call it practically perfect.

I think the second part is still worthy of at least one playthrough. The continent is much bigger, there are many side quests and stuff to do, that it really sucks that it was Playstation 2 exclusive. Sometimes the limited memory shows up in open areas. Caves and underground section are really good. It works without any problems on PCSX 2, althought the manual bow aiming is painful. I use a hybrid configuration to be able to use mouse for looking, and keyboard for the rest.
You know, I was gonna start a thread in Crispy's fiefdom, but you seem to be a guy who knows what's up... Check out what I picked up for Christmas:

DSC-0727.jpg

The only problem is my obvious lack of a PS2 and complete obliviousness on PS2 emulation. Hook a brother up and tell me about this PCSX 2 thing, whaddya say?

Still kicking myself for missing that one, don't even have the disc with the demo anymore. But I plan to remedy the situation.

Lemming42

Arcane
This thread seems to be the hotspot for discussing games in the "sort of Tomb Raider clones but not really, 1996 - 2002~" genre, so... does anyone have a comprehensive list?

Hard to categorise obviously but third person games with a lot of platforming and a lot of combat, like Drakan.

Off the top of my head:
Drakan: Order of the Flame
Urban Chaos
Heavy Metal FAKK 2
Rune
Outcast
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Oni
The Elder Scrolls: Redguard (sort of, more adventure gamey than Drakan et al)
Nightmare Creatures (sort of, less platforming than others on this list)
Heretic 2
Deathtrap Dungeon
Space Bunnies Must Die!
Severance: Blade of Darkness

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only problem is my obvious lack of a PS2 and complete obliviousness on PS2 emulation. Hook a brother up and tell me about this PCSX 2 thing, whaddya say?

I would use an Iso image of the game instead of the disc. You will also need PS 2 bios files. You've set your profile to private, so I won't be able to help in that matter :M .

Off the top of my head:
I would add:

Crusaders of Might and Magic
O.D.T. - Escape: Or Die Trying
Project Eden - made by Core Design. This one is a team based tpp game mixing combat with puzzles. Really long and excellent level design - finished it 2 times already.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I remember playing this game on my friends computer and later on mine. Sadly, can't recall what was going on in the game.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
This thread seems to be the hotspot for discussing games in the "sort of Tomb Raider clones but not really, 1996 - 2002~" genre, so... does anyone have a comprehensive list?

Hard to categorise obviously but third person games with a lot of platforming and a lot of combat, like Drakan.

Off the top of my head:
Urban Chaos
Heavy Metal FAKK 2
Rune
Outcast
Oni
Heretic 2
Deathtrap Dungeon
Space Bunnies Must Die!
American McGee's Alice

Gandalf

Arbiter

Off the top of my head:
Urban Chaos
Heavy Metal FAKK 2
Rune
Outcast
Oni
Heretic 2
Deathtrap Dungeon
Space Bunnies Must Die!
American McGee's Alice
MDK 1 & MDK2, Prince of Persia 3D, perhaps?

AfterVirtue

Literate
so you're gonna have to do this the old fashioned way and go adventuring for a box
High seas, my man, high seas.

Great game by the way in a very fun genre. Well done fantasy, serviceable story.

Mournebringer... if i remember well it was unbreakable and for my conservative style of play... it was freedom.

Second one. Didn't play but it felt like a waste it was not "adventures in the Rift, the Quest for the lost brother". Nah, brother dead, moving on...

For the genre... perhaps Gooka, the Mystery of Janatrix?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom