Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Younger generations and retro gaming.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
You know a cure for not knowing the ruleset is? Reading AD&D 2E's rules. Wow that's so hard to do...
...Jim, I literally just said I did that. Those guides weren't just for finding out how to roll and store stats.

I'm literally looking at the user manual for BG2. It is 266 pages long with about 200 dedicated to the rules of the game. You were saying what exactly? That you are too stupid for AD&D 2E?
You shouldn’t have to read a manual in order to understand a game, it’s an archaic game element.

Here I thought you were smart, but I guess not. Gee willikers retard, but BG2 was released at a time when people were literate and could think. They didn't need in game hand holding to show people how to play the game. You'd hate the fact that there wasn't any quest markers or any other childish hand holding to make you special snowflakes succeed in the game.
BG2 is pretty straightforward from what I remember, especially in the quest department. Also, games themselves should have sufficient tutorials, like the first Fallout games stat menu showing you what every stat does perfectly and all in one screen.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
BG2 is pretty straightforward from what I remember, especially in the quest department. Also, games themselves should have sufficient tutorials, like the first Fallout games stat menu showing you what every stat does perfectly and all in one screen.

BG2 did come with a sufficient tutorial. It's called the User's Manual and you were supposed to read it. Like I said that was in a time when people were literate and not retards.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

BG2 did come with a sufficient tutorial. It's called the User's Manual and you were supposed to read it. Like I said that was in a time when people were literate and not retards.
I’m literate but that doesn’t mean reading a manual to play a game is good no matter how cool a manual could be. Games should have tutorials *in them* not outside of them. It was due to storage limitations anyhow.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

I’m literate but that doesn’t mean reading a manual to play a game is good no matter how cool a manual could be. Games should have tutorials *in them* not outside of them. It was due to storage limitations anyhow.

Yes it was due to storage limitations that required manuals to teach you how to play the game. I'd rather have the manuals and all the feelies that we used to get instead of the kiddy treatment of the game assuming you have room temperature IQ. At least we know where your IQ is at. ;)

Butter

Arcane
Patron
A lot of the nuances of AD&D are much more easily explained in a manual than in a tutorial (e.g. class weapon and armour restrictions, how multi-classing and dual classing work, how attributes work). An in-game tutorial for BG2 would mostly be useful for explaining the interface and how RTwP combat works, which are things the player will figure out within 10 minutes of starting the game anyway.

The best in-game tutorial I ever played was Deus Ex's Liberty Island. It works better than the actual tutorial, probably because it's more engaging and it presents all the gameplay elements in the "obstacle course" style rather than one by one.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most mandatory tutorials are shit. Either they start off way too baby tier and bore you so much you just wanna get it over with, making you pay no attention to the important parts, or they overload you with information up-front before most of it becomes relevant.

Take your average RTS where the first tutorial mission teaches you how to move your fucking camera. "Move the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen, pan the camera by holding the middle mouse button and dragging, yadda yadda". Yeah I know, I played RTS games before. And even if I didn't, playing around with my mouse cursor would be the first thing I'd do just to see what it does. You don't have to tell me that I need to click on a unit to select it. That's just obvious!

Or tutorials for action games that front-load all the information on how to pull off special moves when you haven't even had the chance to familiarize yourself with the standard moveset yet. "You can pull off a special move by pressing space, ctrl, and both mouse buttons simultaneously. This move will become important 10 hours for now, but not before then, so don't you forget it!" Yeah fuck off, how about introducing such things naturally as the game progresses, rather than front-loading all that info that I will forget 5 minutes later anyway?

Humbaba

Arcane
No, I said that I knew nothing about ADnD going into BG, which is why I read up some guides, which explained the ruleset.

No, this is what you said that I replied to.

Tbf, BG2's ruleset is really unintuitive and the game explains nothing.

I proved you wrong with the game manual that it does show you how to play the game and explains it. Did you play a pirated copy per chance? If so then that's your failure and not the game's.

You mean to tell us that manuals count as in-game tutorials? Tag's well earned.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
No, I said that I knew nothing about ADnD going into BG, which is why I read up some guides, which explained the ruleset.

No, this is what you said that I replied to.

Tbf, BG2's ruleset is really unintuitive and the game explains nothing.

I proved you wrong with the game manual that it does show you how to play the game and explains it. Did you play a pirated copy per chance? If so then that's your failure and not the game's.

You mean to tell us that manuals count as in-game tutorials? Tag's well earned.

Oh look someone can't understand their own sentence. You stated the game explains nothing. Look retard, the game came with a user manual which does explains how the game is played. It's not my fault that you are too retarded to know how to read or to write. Are all Zoomers this retarded and illiterate while being an ass?

Humbaba

Arcane
Oh look someone can't understand their own sentence. You stated the game explains nothing. Look retard, the game came with a user manual which does explains how the game is played. It's not my fault that you are too retarded to know how to read or to write. Are all Zoomers this retarded and illiterate while being an ass?
:hmmm: He actually doesn't know the difference between a manual and an in-game tutorial.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
:hmmm: He actually doesn't know the difference between a manual and an in-game tutorial.

You actually don't know how to write. You said, "Tbf, BG2's ruleset is really unintuitive and the game explains nothing." The game came with a manual fucktard. You never specified it had to be an in-game tutorial to hold your baby hands through the process of playing the game. Yeah you Zoomer morons are better off playing Chute and Ladders since you're too moronic for anything else.

I swear the best part of you ran down your momma's legs after your grandpa-dad fucked her.

Humbaba

Arcane
You actually don't know how to write. You said, "Tbf, BG2's ruleset is really unintuitive and the game explains nothing."

When people say "the game" does this or that then this refers to something that's in-game, every normal person knows this. So much for reading comprehension.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
You actually don't know how to write. You said, "Tbf, BG2's ruleset is really unintuitive and the game explains nothing."

When people say "the game" does this or that then this refers to something that's in-game, every normal person knows this. So much for reading comprehension.

When people say the game as in Baldur's Gate 2 or older vintage, people of my generation, Gen X, take it to mean everything that came with the game. That includes the packaging and all of the inside material like manuals and feelies*. Everyone that it intelligent knows this. So much for having a motherfucking brain shit-stain. What's it like to survive as an incest baby with a sub-70 IQ? Do you drool often? Does your mommy help you piss and shit and wipe your ass or are you able to do it on your own?

*Feelies are all the goodies that came with the game like code wheels, maps, and the like. Infocom games were the early pioneers of this with many of their games coming with rubber worms and scratch and sniff cards. Oh to help your pea sized brain, a scratch and sniff card had a variety of scents on it that you opened the flap, scratched the spot, and sniffed the contents. You're not supposed to eat it.

God I miss the days of when child safety labels weren't around, plastic bags without holes, and lead paint on the walls to weed out genetic failures like you.

Humbaba

Arcane
When people say the game as in Baldur's Gate 2 or older vintage, people of my generation, Gen X, take it to mean everything that came with the game. That includes the packaging and all of the inside material like manuals and feelies*. Everyone that it intelligent knows this.

Funny then how every other person in this thread understood what I meant.

Even if this nonsense you just made up were true, then this just indicates your utter failure to keep up with updated definitions. Intelligence is often defined as the ability to adapt and take in new information btw.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
When people say the game as in Baldur's Gate 2 or older vintage, people of my generation, Gen X, take it to mean everything that came with the game. That includes the packaging and all of the inside material like manuals and feelies*. Everyone that it intelligent knows this.

Funny then how every other person in this thread understood what I meant.

Even if this nonsense you just made up were true, then this just indicates your utter failure to keep up with updated definitions. Intelligence is often defined as the ability to adapt and take in new information btw.

Funny how everyone that has a brain understood what I meant. Definitions don't change. Only retarded morons born later to genetic failures and dead ends do.

Intelligence is a sign of being able to read a fucking manual to learn how to play a game which is NEW INFORMATION you inbred genetic failure.

You also know what sets Intelligent people apart from genetic failures like you? We know how to write clear with proper sentences to convey the full meaning of our intent. We don't drop words and try to pretend to be intelligent when outclassed by someone superior with superior intelligence and intellect.

Never try to out insult a southerner. We bury piss ants like you.

Humbaba

Arcane
Definitions don't change.

Every scientist at Harvard on suicide watch rn because you just declared all research to be meaningless.

Intelligence is a sign of being able to read a fucking manual to learn how to play a game which is NEW INFORMATION
Which is what I did, thank you for recognising my vast cognitive capabilites.

You also know what sets Intelligent people apart from genetic failures like you? Taking it up the ass from older men!
Wew there lad

Never try to out insult a southerner
Whatever, westoid.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
YazDjkF.gif

Come on guys, let's be civil, we gathered here to shit on zoomers, not to fight among ourselves.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Whatever happened to learning by doing?
Beside some borderline experimental indie (approved by youtubers/streamers) or FROM Software games devs don't want to confuse modern gamers (years of training with all those handholding games filled with markers), risking that some of them might grab digital pitchforks and torches with "I want speak with your manager" mentality in their hollow heads

Viata

Arcane
You know a cure for not knowing the ruleset is? Reading AD&D 2E's rules. Wow that's so hard to do...
...Jim, I literally just said I did that. Those guides weren't just for finding out how to roll and store stats.

I'm literally looking at the user manual for BG2. It is 266 pages long with about 200 dedicated to the rules of the game. You were saying what exactly? That you are too stupid for AD&D 2E?
You shouldn’t have to read a manual in order to understand a game, it’s an archaic game element.
In fact, they should make more games that forces one to read the manual to understand it. It would be better if the plot was only in the manual, so you either read it or you have no idea what is happening in the game.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

In fact, they should make more games that forces one to read the manual to understand it. It would be better if the plot was only in the manual, so you either read it or you have no idea what is happening in the game.
combatfag begone

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom