Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your all-time favorite NPC in a CRPG

Fresh

Erudite
Callaxes said:
Ok, so someone had to do it. Better luck next time HyberBoy.

Glad to be of service sir. PM me when you need more new topic-ideas.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Kreia is the best NPC ever written. Sure, you, dear reader, may think otherwise, but that's how I see it and nothing, not even Volourn or anyone else who calls her shallow is going to cure me from my "blindness" for, in this regard, I am deaf to the voice of reason. She's Avellone's best creation.

Texas Red

Whiner
Jaheira. Because of me she lost her husband and her membership in the Harpers. She loved me and yet I felt no pity when I saw her face as I left the camp to fuck Arie's brains out.

Its just funny how you ruin her life. Cant say who is the bestest NPC though.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Jasede said:
Kreia is the best NPC ever written. Sure, you, dear reader, may think otherwise, but that's how I see it and nothing, not even Volourn or anyone else who calls her shallow is going to cure me from my "blindness" for, in this regard, I am deaf to the voice of reason. She's Avellone's best creation.

:salute:

Micmu

Magister
Dr. Wu

Not really

From deeper characters, I'd probably pick Dakkon.
And definitely Morte from the "less serious". It was really well done - he was full of stingy, morbid and sarcastic remarks. So he often pissed off other NPCs while you talked to them.
Harold .... Myron
(How did you survive?) "I didn't!!! Hahaha, works every time!"
"Are you gonna kill me ..... too??"
Best voiced lines ever. :)

hicksman

Liturgist
thats 2 for Minsc.

"Evil around every corner.... careful not to step in any"

Balor

Arcane
Kreia, and I agree with Jasede on everything he said about her. Does it make me a furry? Hope not :).

BillyOgawa

Scholar
Batlin, from Ultima 7. The bastard.

And Dakkon. Truly one of the deepest, most fully realized characters in any RPG. During one playthrough I sold him to the tanar'ri in the Clerks Ward and his reaction, "I would not have thought... very well" (or something to that extent) was so heartbreaking.

Lurkar

Scholar
Kreia and Dakkon, easily.

Annah was a fun character, but not a very deep one, which was somewhat dissapointing.

Same thing with whatsername, the blind chick in KotOR 2. She could've been a lot more interesting.

Lumpy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Annah. Just cause I liked her.
Annah is a fucking paedophile and child murderer. It's pretty clearly stated in the game.

Starwars

Arcane
I liked Annah a lot. Despite not being uber deep, she pulled off the "street-smart girl" type extremely well. And while the romance was not all that developed, Mr Avellone should get kudos for actually making me feel for this character (I think the only time a romance has clicked with me).

The Master was great. Wonderfully realized and pretty creepy.

They're obviously still "fresh" to me, but I really enjoyed two of the NPCs in MotB. First is Kaelyn. I'm not normally a big fan of the "goody goody" characters, but I thought Kaelyn was great and very likeable. I also think the voice-actress did a very good job on her.
She feels a bit similar to Fall-from-Grace, but I have to say I like Kaelyn more. Fall-from-Grace never really stuck with me for some reason.

*spoilers for MotB*

The other is Myrkul. This guy is just so cheesily schemingly evil. Loved how he was written, was great fun to see how much he delighted in tormenting you. And it's pretty cool how you have a conversation with him while standing upon his corpse floating through the Astral Plane. And again, great voice-acting.

roshan

Arcane
Dakkon, Deionarra, Ravel, Annah, Morte, Myrkul, Sand, Dogmeat...

Lurkar

Scholar
Lumpy said:
JarlFrank said:
Annah. Just cause I liked her.
Annah is a fucking paedophile and child murderer. It's pretty clearly stated in the game.

Can't say I remember that part.

I've noticed that, in games where there ARE voice actors, people tend to gravitate towards the characters with good ones. With a different voice actor, I think Irenicus, for example, would've been a lot more forgettable. So I guess the lesson is, if you're going to have VAs, don't go half ass on them.

Cassidy

Arcane
There are some quite good NPCs in Fallout and PS:T.

I still find Morte, though not the most deep, the NPC which drew most interest in a game and I like the way its description says "You wonder how he can float" and how it's a detail which is never explained during the game. He is so interesting that there was a kind of previous reference about him in Fallout 2's Gecko in the Harp when Wooz tell that "joke" about the floating severed head in hell. This, besides the two-headed cow in Arcanum are the only references between those games. Morte simply does his function in the game as a great comic relief, that's why he is memorable, asides from his uniqueness. Second comes Dakkon(I prefer Giths over elves at any rate) with his misterious past and stance and his deep inner search through A false circle of Zerthimon and of course, one of the most interesting villains ever made: the Master from Fallout, which is even better as his past is explained.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is there no love for Ravel? Kreia the next-gen has taken it all.

Also, The Nameless One. His past is a multitude of NPCs, and his main enemy is a severed part of himself.

Heck, most of the main NPCs in Torment are great. Bloodlines also has a great deal of them: Smiling Jack, Lacroix, the twins and the chick from the radio. HK-47 was fun, too.

EDIT: How can I forget, the goblins from Arx Fatalis. The great thing about the game, even if it doesn't last for long.

Texas Red

Whiner
Cassidy said:
There are some quite good NPCs in Fallout and PS:T.

I still find Morte, though not the most deep, the NPC which drew most interest in a game and I like the way its description says "You wonder how he can float" and how it's a detail which is never explained during the game. He is so interesting that there was a kind of previous reference about him in Fallout 2's Gecko in the Harp when Wooz tell that "joke" about the floating severed head in hell. This, besides the two-headed cow in Arcanum are the only references between those games. Morte simply does his function in the game as a great comic relief, that's why he is memorable, asides from his uniqueness. Second comes Dakkon(I prefer Giths over elves at any rate) with his misterious past and stance and his deep inner search through A false circle of Zerthimon and of course, one of the most interesting villains ever made: the Master from Fallout, which is even better as his past is explained.

In Fallout Tactics Morte is an easter egg random encounter. The comment he makes on TNO is pretty funny too, something like "I was saddled with a berk whose sole vocabulary is "can I ask you a few questions?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom