Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Your Favorite Games from 2020? Any Genre

Gregz

Arcane
Here are mine:

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos - my personal RPGOTY, 10/10
Monster Train - Brilliant roguelite deck builder with fantastic production values, also 10/10

Last edited:

Lincolnberry

Educated
13 sentinels (counting this as a 2020 release for the West). Arguably a visual novel, but with a passable RTS element that is so interwoven with a highest tier story for the medium and incredible music that I think calling it one of the best visual novels ever made kind of sells it short.

I've said elsewhere but I'll reiterate that Sakurai and Toro both had very strong positive reactions which was good enough for me to check it out and I was not disappointed.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I bouch for 13 sentinels too, i found the story engaging, enjoy the real time strategy combat too (i'm a sucker for mechs) and the art is simply beautifull, vanillaware always delivers in that department.

We have people like Yoko Taro and Sakurai backing the game, it was a financial disaster so i feel bad for the company, they poured so much love in the game, it will definitely become a cult clasic, similar to the original Nier so if you can grab a copy do it because it will increase it's value in years to come.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Just realized that the only 2020 releases i played were Resident Evil 3 Remake and Amnesia Rebirth (both weren't good).

I'm trailing behind and playing games years after their release. RPG-wise, in 2020 i've finished Kingdom Come Deliverance, Atom RPG and Ultima Underworld, and checked out notable Fallout 2 total conversions (Resurrection, Nevada, Sonora, Olympus 2207). KCD is definitely my favorite game of the bunch.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Desperados 3 (isometric stealth) was more polished Shadow Tactics in the Wild West so I can't really complain much about it other than being a bit derivative.

Project Wingman (arcade flight sim) for being the actual Ace Combat 7 I wanted and more to boot despite mostly being a one man project.

Ori 2 as well as another great metroidvania to add to the pile with an improved combat system and looking even more dead drop gorgeous in the art department.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I have not played any games released this year. I did play Deus Ex, Grimoire, System Shock 2, Thief 2, and World of Xeen, and I doubt any new release can compare to those.

I'm guessing it's a tie between Crusader Kings 3 and Wasteland 3 and that's setting the bar quite low to be honest. I imagine it would be the new Yakuza instead but I'm laying off until I play the 3-4-5.

Only things I played from 2020 (So far, I'll get a little Cyberpunk in just before 2021) are as follows:

Monster Train: Actually forgot that was a 2020 game. Really solid, I still much prefer Slay the Spire but Monster Train's probably the second best roguelite deckbuilder. Been pretty well supported thus far too.

Hades: Supergiant's best game and my GotY. Quality's ridiculously high across the board and the gameplay itself is really snappy and satisfying. It hasn't got as much depth and metagame knowledge fuckery as some other action roguelites but the action's so enjoyable it entirely makes up for it. Really impressive job at weaving a nice story into roguelite gameplay too.

Doom Eternal: Runner up for my GotY, would've taken it except that Hades feels more special while Doom Eternal's just a really good shooter. Basically my only complaints with it are aesthetic, I like the Mars and UAC space base look in 2016 more than Eternal's heaven and snow base and stuff, and 2016 did more to put the story on the back burner with the Doom Guy not giving much of a shit while in Eternal they have him bowing to ghost kings I don't give a damn about. As far as complaints go that's really fucking minor, but I still whine a little just because they're areas I felt like 2016 handled it better. Hell on Earth stuff in Eternal was peachy though (Except the hologram UAC chick was too on the nose. The text snippets in 2016 were once again more amusing since they start out more basic and simple and then when you get the higher tiers you get UAC cultist shit rather than just having holograms telling you to hug a demon).

Wasteland 3: More enjoyable than Wasteland 2. Performance was fucky (Though it got patched) and there's some fuckery in the gameplay design/balance and it could've used more C&C in areas and quests, but it was a solid game.

Crusader Kings 3: Feels like a better starting point than launch CK2 and makes me not want to go back to CK2 because of how fucking shit that runs after a hundred+ years of gameplay, while CK3's performance doesn't fall apart anywhere near like that. Hopefully they don't fuck it too bad with patches or DLC but I've played a few games of it and I'm digging it. Supposedly easier/better for modding than CK2 was as well, so it won't be surprising if CK3 mods end up better than their CK2 counterparts.

Yes Your Grace: Ranted about it recently in the Steam thread, but the brief summary is decently fun premise (You're the king of a dinky kingdom, you do some minor resource management and C&C to survive an attack) with not enough C&C to make it satisfying. S'ok for one play if it falls into your lap from a bundle or game pass or whatever, but even when the game "Opens up" and you're left to your own devices more it's pretty barebones.

So Hades, Monster Train, Doom Eternal and CK3 good, Wasteland 3 good for what it is, Yes Your Grace is SHIT BONERZ. Cyberpunk will no doubt be a modern masterpiece like Bloodlines and Deus Ex and eclipse all of them but it missed out on earning this GotY award.

everything that i was somewhat interested in was either shit; woke or both

will probably pick up The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos since Gregz is a solid recommender.... and Hades as well since its the ducks guts

my GOTY:

STALKER: Call Of Pripyat

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Good/Better:
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Assassin's Creed Valhalla
Ghostrunner
DOOM Eternal
Watch Dogs Legion

Decent:

Cyberpunk 2077

Meh!:
Resident Evil 3
Marvel's Avengers
Streets of Rage 4
WRC9
Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate

Trash:
Daemon X Machina

Have to play:
Wasteland 3
Hades
Tony Hawk Pro Skater remakes
XCOM Chimera Squad

KK1001

Arbiter
GOTY: Hades. Not even a close one for me. Best written game since Disco Elysium. Takes a derivative, played out setting and gives it new life in a way I didn't think possible. The best all-around Roguelike.

Great:
Persona 5 Royal (not worth it if you've played Persona 5 already but good)
Demon's Souls
Yakuza 5

Good:
Ghostrunner
Wasteland 3
Desperados 3
Animal Crossing

Okay:
FF7 Remake
CoD Warzone (BR shit. You know what to expect)
Doom Eternal

Meh:
Cyberpunk 2077 in its current iteration. Could bump up to good, probably at best.

Bad:
Resident Evil 3

Average year overall.

Ivan

Arcane
Highlights:

Ghost of a Tale
Hades
Doom Eternal
Doom 64
Creaks
Yooka Laylee: Impossible Lair
Wasteland 3

Lemming42

Arcane
Desperados 3
Wasteland 3
Crash Bandicoot 4

Honourable mentions
Suzerain - fun choose your own adventure type thing about running a shitty Eastern European shithole during the 50s. very cool
XCOM Chimera Squad - pretty lightweight, but plenty of fun for one playthrough
Gears Tactics - again, lightweight fun, enjoyed it a little more than Chimera Squad, definitely both worth playing
Mafia: Definitive Edition - mostly a terrible bastardisation of the original game's story, but if you just skip cutscenes and ignore dialogue, you can have fun during the combat and driving parts
Bannerlord - it's alright, but it really is just warband
Black Mesa - i really like this, but i'm putting it as an honourable mention only because it's not really a 2020 game. it did get its (supposedly) final content update this year, though

Plenty more that look great but I haven't played/haven't played much of. I think it's been a good year overall.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
2020 was pretty shit. Only two games I played are worth mentioning:

Monster Train: fun roguelite deckbuilder. Way easier than Slay the Spire but arguably more fun too. The 5 clans you can play as have tended to be wildly imbalanced, however.

ULTRAKILL: very fun FPS with a DMC Style meter mechanic and PS1 aesthetic. Nice soundtrack too.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hades was the best, by far. One of the best games of the decade, not just the year.

Assasscreed: Valhalla and Cyberpunk are ok, popcorn games with amazing presentation but lacking a lot in depth. Cyberpunk might actually become great after like 2 years of patches & expansions and a mod that completely overhauls those terrible RPG systems. The rest of what I enjoyed were mostly from previous years or early access games: World of Horror, Sands of Salzaar, Approaching Infinity, Devil Slayer Raksasi and Bannerlord.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Actually great tier:
Outer wilds
Factorio

Fun but forgettable:
Ori and Will of the wisps
Colony Ship demo

Games as service/continuous dlc that release every year tier:
Path of Exile
Total Warhammer2

Currently playing and not sure about yet:
Phoenix point

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, best suprise of this year and my GOTY. Shame that I'm the one first mentioning it.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos, another nice suprise. Had fun playing it and probably start another run next week.

Ori and Wii of the Wisps, I'm a sucker for platformers and always will be. Hard, good looking and heart warming. What else do you need?

Hades, Fun little rogue lite. Suprisingly engaging story.

Desperados 3, didn't like as much as I hoped but still a solid game. Happy to play new releases like this one.

Gears Tactics, what do you know, another nice, little suprise. Much better than Chimera Squad. They got solid foundations there for a better Nu-X Com game.

Beutiful Desolation, not what I was expecting but still liked it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Colony Ship Demo - my most anticipated game - hyped

Cyberpunk 2077 <- Yes, I actually enjoy the game, despite all the glaring flaws and shortcomings

Wasteland 3 - Excellent RPG, had alot of fun, way better than WL2

Resident Evil 3 - Yes it was shorter, worse than RE2, it had cuts and flaws, but dammit I had a fucking great time with it, but wished for more content

Desperados 3 - solid old school

Beautiful Desolation - what is there to say? very good adventure

Pheonix Point - Great callback to xcom as i should have been

Baldurs Gate 3 (D:OS 3) - Was surprisingly decent, and I'm looking forward to playing BG3 at release

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll admit I didn't sit down and play a lot of games released this year, but I took a good look at many of them. I was disappointed most of the time.

As such, the only game of 2020* I recommend is aptly-called "There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension".

*For me, the year of games goes from Dec 1st to Nov 30th, not the normal calendar year. The logic behind this is that games released in December don't have any time to impact the year they're released in, but plenty of time to affect the year after.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom