Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your favorite guilty pleasures

Gradenmayer

Learned
My guilty pleasures are summons that practically play the game for you. Sitting back and watching a massive horde overrun the enemy with almost no further input is cathartic. I'll tolerate a little micro or casting some support spells, but mostly I want to turn my brain off and watch the carnage. Diablo 2 Skellymancer was the pinnacle of ARPGs. All the spectacle of RTS without needing to be a Korean on amphetamines.
You will love Path of Exile then. Pet/summon builds in that are disgusting.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Mass Effect 1 is brilliant for what it is - a shooter with RPG elements. It just captures a great sense of being a space adventurer.
Indeed. It's one of two games that does that. The other is Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. And that's my answer to the thread title, even though in this absurd place it seems everything that isn't Fallout 1 belongs in this thread. Anyhow, TPS really scratches that space opera itch, what with the lunar surface and a space station being your primary locations, and the most spacey synth soundtrack since, well, Mass Effect (or SG Universe if you're nasty). Sheeeeeiiiit, I might have to go play some right now, with 6 characters and normal/tvh/uvh there's always something to do.

Shaki

Arbiter
All the eurojank games from Spiders. Let's be honest, these are objectively not great, I never get an urge to replay them and I forget about their plot/characters a week after playing. But I always have shitloads of fun playing them once, and always get excited when they announce a new one.

Same with Jeff Vogel stuff, though few of his games were actually good and memorable enough to put them above "guilty pleasures" for me.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Why are you abstaining from gaming, I am surprised .....dont you play any games, didnt you play Witcher ?
Ah, fact. My guilty pleasure RPG is none other than Planescape: Torment. It is great yet it is also pretty shallow and does not do justice to AD&D as much as in example Baldurs Gate does. The gimmicks like cutting a zombies stitching with a scalpel through dialogue is great though. Never finished it either.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Here's something I feel guilty about admitting. I don't like vanilla Skyrim, but I did enjoy modding the hell out of it by using the BBB mods and turning the female characters from fugly to pretty hot. Then I download fan made houses like the Riverside Lodge with Sauna or Whiterun Mansion and fill it with hotties from the Companion mods and outfit them with some of the sexier clothing mods. Yeah, it's pretty sad, but it's nice to have a fantasy home away from home. An even sadder fact is I avoid the rest of the game. The fan-made homes are a lot better than anything you can get in the core game. I haven't started the game in years, but I also refuse to delete the 50+ gigs of data that houses the mods because it's nice to know the home is still there.

If you work hard, you may, in the course of your life, achieve one or two things.

On the other hand, a regular rpg has dozens of achievements on Steam or GOG. And you can collect them all in a matter of weeks.

I think the choice is obvious.
:obviously:

lol..said "debt until your early 30's" from buying a house...kid must be 14 to think early 30's is some super ancient age to have debt until...reality is he would be lucky as fuck to even begin the first fucking year of his mortgage in his early 30's..lol

I remember thinking that I would be super old when I was 32

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
dungeon siege. sure, it's a click-fest, but exploring the world is so engrossing and it has some of best loot and dungeons i've seen in a diablo clone

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FMV! I have a new-found enthusiasm for those mid-90s adventure games. But I don't really feel guilty about it...

Bloodeyes

Arcane
Bethesda games. Can't say I'm guilty about it, but they generally aren't well regarded here. I acknowledge their flaws, and I when I play their old games I mourn for what that company could have been. Still, I enjoy them for what they are.

MurkrLurkr

Learned
Unfinished worthless RPG Maker H games downloaded from F95zone :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom