Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your opinion on Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Bloodlines was...

• a good game.

Votes: 125 93.3%
  • a bad game.

Votes: 9 6.7%

• Total voters

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
So... nobody bothers to reply about the mechanics of the computer game? There don't appear to be many dice rolls in the game (so I won't use the "that's like nobody knows if an AD&D game uses d20s and THAC0 tables!" comparison), but surely there is a mathematical relationship between Strength and Melee Damage, no? I mean, that's the whole point of the character system, right?

I'm... slightly disappointed. Sure, VtM PnP is not a very "mechanics-centric" game, but still... It seems kinda un-prestigious to discuss Rpgs without knowing the Rpg mechanics...

Filthy larpers ;)

BothEyesShut

Novice
I actually registered at this forum to reply to this thread.

I read a review before buying the game that called it a "flawed gem," and I think that's a perfect term for it. I had so much fun with the ambiance, music, characters and dialogues that the sublimely crappy gameplay and bugginess (not to mention how hard it was to get running on my modern machine) were totally worth it.

In view of all the irritating console porting going on right now, I'm kindof shocked that so many people are crapping on Bloodlines. It was obviously a rushed project, but, come on... This game was pretty fricking cool.

Talk to me.

Wyrmlord

Arcane

I read a review before buying the game that called it a "flawed gem," and I think that's a perfect term for it. I had so much fun with the ambiance, music, characters and dialogues that the sublimely crappy gameplay and bugginess (not to mention how hard it was to get running on my modern machine) were totally worth it.

In view of all the irritating console porting going on right now, I'm kindof shocked that so many people are crapping on Bloodlines. It was obviously a rushed project, but, come on... This game was pretty fricking cool.

Talk to me.
100% voted it's a good game.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Talk to me.
100% voted it's a good game.
:M

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm kindof shocked that so many people are crapping on Bloodlines.

A lot of people just like bitching, especially at this forum.

Some also can't stand anything non-turn based, or FPS/RPG hybrids.

Some hate vampires (and I can understand them).

Etc.

Why am I even writing this.

Oh yeah you said "talk to me."

So there you have it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Talk to me.

Welcome to the forum, man. Have you checked out the age of decadence demo from iron tower studios?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Great atmosphere, excellent, stylish graphics, sweet breasts, hipster teenagers, superb dialogue and voice acting... Yeah, Bloodlines is awesome.

Captain Shrek

A great game that offers you a lot of avenues with completely different play-styles. good writing, superior map design and great voice acting.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Meeting Jeanette with Isolated playing in the background was awesome.

Fun game. Wish it had a bigger budget.

kickstarter it!

Shit if you can get shitty Tim Schafur games 3 mil why not a VTHMBSNDSJDN game?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If MCA would do a old world of darkness game i'd reach nirvana.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
No, i enjoy thematic consistency thank you.

ib4 jokes about bloodlines upskirts

Deleted member 7219

A very good if unfinished game. Wesp has done a good job with his patches, but you'll still notice some annoying problems with the sound and the graphics here and there. Bug nitpicks aside, it is really well written, rewards you for choosing different paths through quests, has all kinds of different skills that affect the gameplay, you can talk your way out of fights etc. And the ending is pretty ballsy: I can imagine Halo fans raging at not being able to play the big hero.

While playing it you can't help but feel you're just peeking your head into this huge universe, it is a shame Troika collapsed because this more than any of their other games merited a sequel. The atmosphere and the writing are the best things about it. Everyone goes on about the Hotel as being the best part, but I really liked the sanitarium, with that really creepy music that plays throughout and the great way that section of the game ends.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Chinatown suffered from a lack of things to do (as well as game-breaking bugs in my experience). The cheesy triad stuff, accents, samurai fish monsters etc. were also a bit much for me. The game didn't take itself 100% seriously but some of those went overboard into derp territory. Gameplay-wise it wasn't awful, but it still felt rushed and you kind of just went from one set piece/level to the next without much opportunity to really explore. I don't even remember if there were any side-quests, probably not.

Still, worst part of the game for me was how the Sabbat was resolved (or wasn't, really). You just... sort of show up there, and then kill everyone, and that's it. No big mysteries revealed or anything, they're apparently just a bunch of pathetic thugs holed up in a mazelike building with copy-pasted rooms. From what I recall they don't even tie into the endgame plot, they're just there to slaughter until another NPC tells you to do something.

I think the reason why I loved the game so much is because it captured so much of Deus Ex's spirit when no other game has even come close. Broken as it is, Bloodlines at the very least has a ton of replay value, well-designed environments that take multiple play-styles into account, and it does a good job of tying exploration, character interaction and story progress together into one cohesive whole. So many games these days are fight -> cutscene, fight -> cutscene -> wander around -> cutscene that just having the freedom to do things at your own pace and in different ways was a breath of fresh air. Sure, it lacked a lot of the more expansive and labyrinthine levels of Deus Ex, but like Human Revolution, the intention and spirit of it was in the right place.

Phelot

Arcane
It is a very charming setting. All the little touches like the facial expressions and the radio personalities really added to the whole game. The story was pretty nice as well, though the combat was pretty bad as has been mentioned numerous times.

It has definitely become one of those games that "when it's mentioned, someone reinstalls it"

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Next one after is supposedly going to add a new library level that was planned.

You know, that big building across from the ventrue tower? There's a way to add areas to the game now.

Clan quest has two nice quests that would be nice to have in the main game if polished some more (possibly modified to avoid VA over a existing character).
(they avoid the fu syndicate and the sewers sequence)

BothEyesShut

Novice

Talk to me.

Welcome to the forum, man. Have you checked out the age of decadence demo from iron tower studios?

Haven't check out Age of Decadence yet. But I will! Thanks

Deleted member 7219

Can this be moved to General RPG Discussion please? Bloodlines is, after all, an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom