Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Your top 5 RPG list

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How about BUYING it on Ebay, like the Admiral suggested? Vipera, ignore that moron. You absolutely need to have the printed manual, anyway. It's a damn good manual.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
HAy

1) Final Fantasy 7
Best story and characters ever. I cryed wen Aries died.

2) Neverwinter Knights
Most engaging gameplay and situations ever. There's a couple parts where you can either pick the lock or bash the lock.

3) Halo
BEST GAEM EVAR

4) Final Fantasy 10
I liked the one cinematic where the airship shoots all the missiles out the side and the language minigame was really deep.

5) Final Fantasy 10-2
Those girls are hot and I really like the artwork and the music and the whole premise of the is compelling. If only they would bring back Ariesth like they did for Tidus. XXOO

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
Hopefully you'll be playing it by the end of the weekend so here are my suggestions:

Character Creation:

1. Don't add everything to strength and agillity, combat classes are just about the hardest way to play the game, it's best to start with intelligent and diplomatic characters (you can finish the game without throwing a punch anyway), besides... if you have bellow 4 Intelligence points your character will talk like a retard and you don't want that now don't you?

2. If you are going to build a combat class, focus on only one type of weapon, my suggestion is Big Guns and Unarmed

3. Get has many followers has you can, they can proove vital in the first part of the game and keep you from getting killed

4. Traits: Bloody Mess is useless unless you want just to have fun with the death animations. Sex Apeal isn't much use either, so don't do what I did and select it. I would suggest you pick Jinxed trait and reduce your character's Luck to 1

Gameplay

1. First and foremost. The combat is turn-based, it might seem strange and midly entertaining at first, but it gets better when you progress through the game, get bigger guns, get bigger skills and fight bigger enemies. The bar in the upper middle of your interface shows how many action points you have per round, each action costs a certain amount of action points, when the action points run out, your turn ends - OR you can skip your round by pressing in the right edge of your interface. I suggest you look at the combat like matematics, the more action points you save per each action, the better!

I suggest you try the combat with a trainer first, in order to get used to it, after that you can do it fair and square

2. Maps are seperated cells, the world isn't continues like Morrowind or Oblivion. At the extreme edges of each maps there are red/green grids, in order to exit the current map you have to step on them (green takes you to another map, while red takes you out into the wasteland where you enter fast-travel mode). Think of it has entering/exiting a county hall in oblivion, green grids are doorways to the castle's dungeons, private quaters, etc. while red grids are the way outside the castle.

3. The charcater creation isn't use-based like in TES, but experience-based. You don't get better at pistols if you shoot all the time, instead you get experience points by killing things, excersizing your skills and doing quests, in the end of your labor you rise up a level and get 20 skill points which you can distribute to your skills. At every 3 levels you get to choose a perk. It's fun!

4. The dialog isn't like in Morrowind or Oblivion, instead of choosing topics and listening/reading the NPCs reply. You actualy have to talk to NPCs in full fleshed real dialog trees that mimic a real conversation. Not everything is text, there's a fair amount of voice dialog, if you encounter a voiced NPC, then it means he/she is important

5. The storyline is 99% non-linear, don't expect to be toled something specificaly, instead you are given clues and have the liberty of interpreting them any way you want. There are countless ways of how you can get to the ending of the game, even though there are only 2 possible endings

sheek

Arbiter
Romanian_Dude2005 said:
Hopefully you'll be playing it by the end of the weekend so here are my suggestions:

Character Creation:

1. Don't add everything to strength and agillity, combat classes are just about the hardest way to play the game, it's best to start with intelligent and diplomatic characters (you can finish the game without throwing a punch anyway), besides... if you have bellow 4 Intelligence points your character will talk like a retard and you don't want that now don't you?

You can reduce Endurance, Strength and Charisma. Pump all you have into Intelligence, Agility, Perception and Luck (in that order). But try to get an even number for Agility, a score of 7(9) gives you no benefit over 6(8).

2. If you are going to build a combat class, focus on only one type of weapon, my suggestion is Big Guns and Unarmed

NO! Get Small Guns and Speech. Or Small Guns and Lockpicks if you have to... You will die before you get your first Big Gun and Unarmed is the stupid-suicidal way to play.

3. Get has many followers has you can, they can proove vital in the first part of the game and keep you from getting killed

Makes it a bit easier to win fights but bad AI can also make the game very, very annoying. I now ignore all the NPC followers... except maybe Dogmeat.

4. Traits: Bloody Mess is useless unless you want just to have fun with the death animations. Sex Apeal isn't much use either, so don't do what I did and select it. I would suggest you pick Jinxed trait and reduce your character's Luck to 1

I would suggest Good Natured, Small Frame (+1 Agility) or One-handed. Get the one that increases Criticals if you're playing without followers.

Finally get Awareness as your first perk. Hold-left-click and look at everything you see.

About the Top 5 List:

Why is everybody (except Jasede) ignoring Arkania?

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
Higher Game said:
Ahzaruuk said:
No. I joined to ge a clue about other CRPGS. :lol:

Just cRPGs?! You need some help when it comes to jRPGs, too! :lol: Go play Vagrant Story, FFIV, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Front Mission 3, Lunar 1/2, and Tales of Phantasia (the translated ROM version). If you think Legend of the Dragoon and any FF after 7 are good enough for a top 5, you have probably never played a good RPG in your life. I'm being serious. Get some good jRPGs first, and then it will be easier moving on to more complex cRPGs. The lists most guys have put up here are good for that.
LoD is mostly for nostalgia and the plot, It was my first jRPG that I played,

As for my tastes in RPGs, well, I DID think I meantioned me living under a rock somewhere in My post...

could have ben in another section though :lol:

cutterjohn

Cipher
VenomByte said:
Oh well, since the thread necrophilia has started, lets continue...

ditto:

1. Wizardry series
2. The Bard's Tale series + Dragon Wars + Devil Whiskey
3. Might & Magic series
4. Daggerfall(and Morrowind sort of)
5. Fallout 1 & 2

near makes:
Dungeon Master series

Wizards Crown & Eternal Dagger(well pretty much these plus the rest of the non-AD&D SSI RPGs... their strategy games weren't too shabby either... Strategic Simulations, Inc. *sigh*)

Gold Box: Pool of Radiance, Treasures of the Savage Frontiers(the rest were mostly meh to me except for combat)

Darklands(talk about buggy, most of you guys never experienced this as a virgin unpatched game... that and they used cheap media so the floppies kept crapping out. My disk copy now has 3 bad disks...)

Ultima series (1-7(both parts), but NOT super avatar world(8) or 9)

Temple of Apshai series(just because their classics, and alot of the other Epyx RPGs from the period)

Wasteland(damn this was a rough game... spiritual parent of Fallout)

Legend of Faerghail + Realms of Arkania (supposedly legend of Faerghail was linked with the Arkania series in some weird way or so I read of a few years ago IIRC)

Tunnels & Trolls RPG (published by New World Computing, developed by some Japanese company, not a bad little RPG based on T&T rules... Flying Buffalo, Inc. still sells ziplocked bags of it... be warned EGA graphics, but a pretty decent pseudo windowish UI not bad for c. 1991 excepting the EGA part)

Eye of the Beholder series, Menzobarren, and the Ravenloft games. Not bad dungeon romps(EoB, Menz), and not bad dungeon romp plus extras(Ravenloft) definitely not top 5, but still close.

Deathlord (EA published RPG late 80's, much like Ultimas of the time, but HUGE world and HARD(!!!))

UMoria, the *bands, ADOM, Omega, etc. all the nifty ASCII "graphics" dungeon romps(except Nethack which is teh ghey)

Citadel Adventures of the Crystal Keep(Mac only)

as pure turn based dungeon delving, turn based, but with non-random levels Mordor and Demise(definitely not top 5, but worth looking at if you like dungeon romps with lots of combat, but not real time...)

Alternate Reality series(or as much as was completed, since only 2 of the 6 were completed and only the first by it's original developer/designer... too bad it never was completed as envisaged...)

I'm sure that I've forgotten some good ones in here, but...

Fallout: BTW wasn't there just a thread about one of the online retailers have a Fallout collection for $20?

Binary

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Good points there, but I was
a) slamming the list together real quick
and
b) I really do think that the world design of FO has more twists and ideas than that of Wasteland. Though nothing beats Wasteland's Vegas.
c) I /like/ the character creation of Darklands, but I don't like the character development after the creation. I think Arcanum did a much better job, with the plethora of skills, abilities and stats. I admit I am a bit of a stat-whore.

c) Some games have really good character creation but a bad development during game. Megatraveller 1 & 2 spring to mind. However, I think Darklands has a real good character development ingame.

If you have the chance to take a peek at the hintbook, I think you'll be surprised :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom