Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

System Shock Your top three games of each year of the 1990s

Lemming42

Arcane
Let's have a roundup! I've asked AI to do it because I'm not fucking doing it.

Hope this is accurate!

pL5tp4F.png

So the winners so far are Fallout, Doom and Half-Life, with Fallout taking the lead - no surprise there.

Ash

Arcane
Very offensive top ten 90s games list. Most of it being for Chrono Shitter, but still.

Red Hexapus

Savant
Here goes:
1990: The Secret of Monkey Island, Loom, Cadaver
1991: Sid Meier's Civilization, Lemmings, Another World
1992: Ultima Underworld, Dune II, Alone in the Dark
1993: Prehistorik 2. Mortal Kombat 2, The Settlers
1994: Doom II, UFO: Enemy Unknown, Descent
1995: Shivers, Rise of the Triad, Sim City 2000 SE
1996: Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo, Heroes of Might & Magic II
1997: Fallout, Blood, Theme Hospital
1998: Starcraft. Fallout 2, Thief: The Dark Project
1999: System Shock II, Heroes of Might & Magic III, Unreal Tournament

Falksi

Arcane
quite dull year, dont think ive played anything noteworthy in 91 aside from Monkey island 2 and maybeee megaman 4
Wha?...questions raised....

X-COM(everything else was shit)
....OK, now this is either someone who's barely played any games, or who has a severe skill issue...lots of questions raised now....

Chrono trigger
.....ah....now I get it. A fucking Chrono Trigger level player. Explains all of the above.

Ryan muller

Educated
....OK, now this is either someone who's barely played any games, or who has a severe skill issue...lots of questions raised now.
your other options included contra hard corps and >>SW TIE FIGHTER<<. get out of here

.....ah....now I get it. A fucking Chrono Trigger level player. Explains all of the above.
CT is a great game, but we already had this discussion in the CT thread

Humanophage

Arcane
Very offensive top ten 90s games list. Most of it being for Chrono Shitter, but still.
It's fake news. Chrono Shitter was mentioned 3 times on the first page, not 4 times. Unreal Tournament was mentioned 6 times and 1 time as runner-up. BG1 was mentioned 5 times. Fallout 2 was mentioned 8 times. And so on.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Just to give an idea of how hard it was to pick for some of these years, these were just some of the contenders I had for 1990.
This is why I never replied to this thread. There were a Hell of a lot of great games, particularly in the early 1990s back when the Amiga was still around. Not only was the Amiga still around, you had the GameBoy, the GameGear, the MSX, the Genesis, the NES, the PC Engine, and so on.

Ryan muller

Educated
It's fake news. Chrono Shitter was mentioned 3 times on the first page, not 4 times. Unreal Tournament was mentioned 6 times and 1 time as runner-up. BG1 was mentioned 5 times. Fallout 2 was mentioned 8 times. And so on.
yes, i noticed Fo2 was mentioned much more than it ended up in the list

A.I never get those things right regardless.

Zoo

Educated

King's Bounty
Super Mario World
The Secret of Monkey Island

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Alone in the Dark
King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Doom
Betrayal at Krondor
Day of the Tentacle

Beneath a Steel Sky
Panzer General
UFO: Enemy Unknown (a.k.a. X-COM: UFO Defense)

Jagged Alliance
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
Worms

Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Duke Nukem 3D
Heroes of Might and Magic II

1997 (maybe best year ever)

Blood
Dungeon Keeper
Incubation

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Grim Fandango
StarCraft

Heroes of Might and Magic III
Jagged Alliance 2
Outcast

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom