Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline You're a cunt if you worship these games Top 40

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Falksi, Feb 24, 2020.

?

Which Games Should never be near a "Top/Greatest Game" list?

1. Mass Effect 2

30 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Skyrim

43 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. Witcher 3

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Bioshock

30 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. GTA 5

21 vote(s)
    21.9%
  6. Minecraft

20 vote(s)
    20.8%
  7. LA Noire

18 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Red Dead Redemption 1

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  9. Red Dead Redemption 2

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  10. Uncharted 2

32 vote(s)
    33.3%
  11. Secret Of Mana

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  12. Seiken Deketsu 3

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  13. Ocarina of Time

13 vote(s)
    13.5%
  14. Pokemon

21 vote(s)
    21.9%
  15. Tetris

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  16. Fire Emblem

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  17. Chrono Trigger

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  18. Fallout 4

55 vote(s)
    57.3%
  19. Fallout NV

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  20. Metal Gear Solid 3

7 vote(s)
    7.3%
  21. Last of Us

33 vote(s)
    34.4%
  22. Horizon Zero Dawn

23 vote(s)
    24.0%
  23. Boarderlands 2

31 vote(s)
    32.3%
  24. Batman Arkham City

16 vote(s)
    16.7%
  25. Assasins Creed

33 vote(s)
    34.4%
  26. Far Cry 3

14 vote(s)
    14.6%
  27. Total War

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  28. Undertale

22 vote(s)
    22.9%
  29. World of Warcraft

16 vote(s)
    16.7%
  30. Disco Elysium

16 vote(s)
    16.7%
  31. Donkey King Kong Komrade Country 2 and 3

10 vote(s)
    10.4%
  32. Call of Duty 4

27 vote(s)
    28.1%
  33. Nier Automata

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  34. Half-Life 1

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  35. Half Life 2

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  36. Gauntlet

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  37. Civilization 2/ Civilization 4

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  38. Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  39. Gain Ground

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  40. Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. samuraigaiden Savant

samuraigaiden
    It's a shame there are so many brothels and prostitutes in games but so few strippers, when clearly strippers lend themselves far more to the medium.

You character bangs a pro in the game, it ain't gonna make your life any less miserable. Watching a girl take her shirt off on the other hand, well, that's always entertaining.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    I just wish games were any good.

• Despair x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    If you think "What is an RPG" is a difficult question then be assured "What is a good shooter" is far worse.

There's nothing approaching a meaningful consensus and universal agreement on basically any of the relevant points of the issue is impossible.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    Animation takes effort and nowadays you'll just get a game journo Fatwa put out on you (unless you're fucking rich like Rockstar).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Fun

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
  7. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    Persona (any)

SMT in general but nobody really cares about the entries without dating sim elements.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. CthuluIsSpy Arcane

CthuluIsSpy
    The only witcher game that could be considered a proper CRPG is the first one. The Witcher series turned into an action-adventure series that really wants to be batman / assassin's creed in Witcher 2. Which is fine if you are into that sort of thing, but if you want an actual RPG with a detailed world, lots of content and actual consequences for your actions you'll want Witcher 1. Which means having to deal with dull combat, lots of jank and spending most of your time in a swamp.

Its almost as if no one today knows what a proper CRPG is and got the idea that action-adventure games with light crafting, minimal choices that don't really change anything and weak character progression are RPGs from Skyrim...

Most Top X lists are a load of wank anyway. The only way to get a proper top list is to create one from consensus, and the masses tend to be wrong anyway. Just look at the misunderstanding of what RPGs are as proof.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    ^ Top  
  9. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    We need a Lyric Suite button.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. samuraigaiden Savant

samuraigaiden
    Dude, Gothic 1 is a great game.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • No No x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. badger76 Learned

badger76
    :nocountryforshitposters:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dramart Educated

Dramart
    ME2 is more a shooter than an RPG.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. samuraigaiden Savant

samuraigaiden
    Worshiping Mass Effect 1 is worthy of cunt status IMO.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Licorice Arcane Vatnik

Licorice
    2020. Civilization has progressed little.
    If playing for rank and w/o arena it becomes a bit more interesting but yeah the moment to moment gameplay is dragged out compared to the other Fire Emblems.

Also Falksi why on earth did you lump all of FE together just due to this one entry in it?.

^ Top  
  15. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Your point?

This isnt discussion on what game is more of a RPG but what shitty games get lot of praise and people who praise them being cunts.

ME1 is a piece of shit game that has a large cunt following on Codex.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Starcraft and Starcraft 2. Blizzard singlehandedly killed the RTS genre with shitcraft by subverting it into becoming RTT gookclickers. To this day it has never recovered as a result.

• retadred x 3
    • Despair x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Why?

^ Top  
  18. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Good question.

From those I've played (Shogun, Rome, Medieval 1 & 2, Rome 2) I've found them great fun, but also a bit lacking. The fun came from satisfaction in winning most the time, but when I sat back an analyzed the actual battles themselves, most were pretty straight forward.

I like them, I wouldn't vote for them, but I can see why some would think they get put on the "top" lists too much.

Remember, a lot of the games included on the list aren't ones which I personally dislike. It's a mix of those which I think should be on the list, but which I also think folk put forward a decent enough case for going on the list too.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    Jesus christ you better be trolling with some of these comments

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sreggin Etah I Learned

Sreggin Etah I
    why?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    A game can have some warts and still be top 100. These things are ultimately judged by the unique things they do best, not what they do poorly. Of course they can't have serious flaws such as Arcanum.

That said I have some general issues:

a) Single-player RTS games. RTS's are simple games at heart and no single RTS offers enough variety of gameplay to be considered truly great. I get why Homeworld has fans but it clearly illustrates this problem. These things can only be judged by their depth in 1v1 multiplayer, basically the video game version of Chess, which is why out of this genre I selected Red Alert. StarCraft otoh is just too twitchy and not cerebral compared to Red Alert.

b) FPS games. I could never get into these for one reason - I just find it ridiculous to play these games with a mouse or gamepad. Get a light gun for chrissakes

c) Games that are too cartoony. I'm not a little boy anymore. Super Mario World and SMB3 might seem brilliant when you were 12 or 19, but it's hard to take a game where you stomp on koopas and goombas seriously once you are 39.

Specific games:

Tetris: Ultimately the strategy to Tetris is limited. Then it becomes just a distraction/ time-waster.

Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition: It's true that it inspired an entire genre and deserves credit for that. But in the 20+ years since it has been far surpassed by its successors. Let's not get too nostalgic here.

Nethack/ Rogue: Ultimately I went with the most refined version of this genre that I feel in many ways transcend the genre, which was Invisible Inc.

Gain Ground: I saw Gain Ground in HCG's top 100, and it would probably make my top 100 too, but not my top 25 since I think again, a lot of what makes Gain Ground special can also be found in Invisible Inc.

Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias:
    I love Castlevania but ultimately 2D platformers really do not really fit horror or exploration that well. The best fit for 2D platformer I feel is Ninja platformer, which is why I went with the masterpiece of the 2D Ninja platformer, Shinobi 3. And if not one of the Shinobi games (all are really amazing), then Strider.

Ikaruga: This has the reputation for being the "ultimate" shooter but honestly it's a) too short and b) too abstract. For me the two gems in this genre are Boogie Wings and Steel Empire.

Gauntlet: Gauntlet is in my top 100 but for top 25 I went with Diablo instead. Gauntlet was a great multiplayer game, a game that captured the imagination of a generation of gamers, and a formula whose legacy includes everything from Diablo 3 to Assassin's Creed to Gain Ground to Rogue/Invisible Inc to Grand Theft Auto. But really, like Tetris, it's a game whose strategic depth is has a limit.

Europa Universalis/ Crusader Kings 2: Ultimately grand strategy games are using the formula invented by KOEI, and while Paradox's efforts are interesting and baroque, they are ulltimately not as fun. So for me, Uncharted Waters still holds the throne uncontested.

Civilization 2/ Civilization 4: Ultimately the weakness of this series is twofold: one, they are pretty terrible multiplayer, and two, they are strategically repetitive. The terrible multiplayer is worsened by poor AI, and the strategic shallowness is worsened by endgame complexity bloat, which this series has never managed to solve. Only SMAC ended up transcending these limitations. The enormous creative and strategic depth in SMAC's tech tree means that even after thousands of hours, one can still find a new challenge to explore and overcome in this classic.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    • Disagree x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Lemming42 Arcane

Lemming42
    Seconding (thirding?) StarCraft. It's a solid game and has good multiplayer, but it's one of the late 90s RTS games (along with AoE and a couple others) that typifies the most boring interpretation of the genre - sitting there in your base waiting for units to produce while you click-spam produce unit. Sometimes, you might have to sit and wait about 60 seconds for the collector units to go get more minerals and gas. Then when you've spammed enough, you just highlight everyone and attack move to the other end of the map. It's fun in multiplayer but the singleplayer is completely boring.

The main defence of StarCraft is that "it's perfectly balanced!!! you need a mixed-unit army to win!!! you can counter everything!!!" All true enough and again, works in multiplayer, but every single singleplayer mission is just about steamrolling your way through the pre-placed enemy forces, who all have really easily exploitable AI. Bonus fun when you destroy their base but one collector got away and starts building a new HQ in the fog of war somewhere. Great.

Command & Conquer was always better because, sloppily designed as it is, it always tried to give players the fastest route to having tens of people blowing the shit out of each other on-screen, which is what the genre's about, let's be real. Also the Tanya missions in Red Alert were way more fun than the equivalent missions in StarCraft where you had to guide the premade units through ships or bases or whatever it was. CHA-CHING!!!! LET'S ROCK!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. FEDSMOKER herksmoker fedfucker Patron

FEDSMOKER
    play more rts games. i'm betting you twenty dollars you've never touched homeworld or sudden strike

^ Top  
  24. Kaethar Educated

Kaethar
    name one good game

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.