Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline You're a cunt if you worship these games Top 40

Which Games Should never be near a "Top/Greatest Game" list?

• Mass Effect 2

Votes: 32 32.0%
  • Skyrim

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • Witcher 3

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • Bioshock

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • GTA 5

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Minecraft

Votes: 20 20.0%
  • LA Noire

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 1

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Uncharted 2

Votes: 34 34.0%
  • Secret Of Mana

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • Seiken Deketsu 3

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Ocarina of Time

• Pokemon

Votes: 22 22.0%
  • Tetris

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Fire Emblem

• Chrono Trigger

• Fallout 4

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • Fallout NV

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3

• Last of Us

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Horizon Zero Dawn

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Boarderlands 2

Votes: 33 33.0%
  • Batman Arkham City

Votes: 18 18.0%
  • Assasins Creed

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Far Cry 3

• Total War

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undertale

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • World of Warcraft

• Disco Elysium

• Donkey King Kong Komrade Country 2 and 3

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Call of Duty 4

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • Nier Automata

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Half-Life 1

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Half Life 2

• Gauntlet

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Civilization 2/ Civilization 4

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Castlevania/ Castlevania 3/ Castlevania: Bloodlines/ Meteroidvanias

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Gain Ground

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Street Fighter 2/ Championship Edition

Votes: 4 4.0%

• Total voters
So you could say "Overrated games", but it's more than that. It's games which have amazingly managed to con their way into the public's perception that they are even remotely anything great. Games which are questionably worth playing at all, never mind greatest game material, and who's worshipers are cunty cuntflaps. These aren't just overrated, they're outright shit experiences yet hailed as masterpieces.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm talking the Mass Effect 2's of this world. A stripped down shadow of it's predecessor, and a shit shooter sandwiched between cut-scenes which somehow bizarrely gets called an RPG. It's not even a good fucking shooter at that. It's not even the best game in the franchise. Therefore if you worship this game & vote for it in top game lists, you're a cunt, and it belongs in this list.

You should replace Mass Effect 2 with first game as ME1 is a piece of shit game thats also on a Codex top 70 list of best RPGs of all time, while ME2 is not on that list.

Nah. ME2 stars in nearly every fucking "Top whatever" games list everywhere on earth. It needs to be beaten into the ground like the piece of shit it is.

I enjoyed ME1, but even if it is a bag of wank it still never gets the praise ME2 does.

This list is mainly to shoot down shithouses on other forums.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm talking the Mass Effect 2's of this world. A stripped down shadow of it's predecessor, and a shit shooter sandwiched between cut-scenes which somehow bizarrely gets called an RPG. It's not even a good fucking shooter at that. It's not even the best game in the franchise. Therefore if you worship this game & vote for it in top game lists, you're a cunt, and it belongs in this list.

You should replace Mass Effect 2 with first game as ME1 is a piece of shit game thats also on a Codex top 70 list of best RPGs of all time, while ME2 is not on that list.

Nah. ME2 stars in nearly every fucking "Top whatever" games list everywhere on earth. It needs to be beaten into the ground like the piece of shit it is.

I enjoyed ME1, but even if it is a bag of wank it still never gets the praise ME2 does.

This list is mainly to shoot down shithouses on other forums.

Who gives a fuck what sites like IGN or RPS have on their top lists, only Codex matters.

ME1 is garbage and it is on our top RPG list.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
32d12eb4c3c56bf3a048a29f7e2a2da0o.png

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
LA Noire - Empty, lacking, shit.

What the fuck?
It's a detective game man, not GTA, what were you expecting?

Metal Gear Solid 3 - Ugggh. Slow, ponderous piece of self indulgent trash, which lacks the charm, pacing & fun of the original

Slow, ponderous and self-indulgent is something you can easily lay at the feet of the 1st game.
But on 3 that criticism fall short and is retarded, given how fast-paced and campy the game is.

Ocarina of Time - it's not an outright bad game but fucking hell, what do people see in it?

For casual audiences it's their version of Fallout, that game they played has kids that blew their mind, so now it has become a sacred cow.
One aspect that the game does very well, is that it posses a really good sense of adventure.

Pokemon - total shit for literal children. The same inherent problems you get with any other jRPG, except somehow even more dull

The campaigns of Fire Red, Emerald, SS/HG are some of the more entertaining among jRPG's, and their gameplay systems (specially SS/HG) are deceptively complex and really well designed.

Fire Emblem (entire series) - crap

Never played any other aside from Path of Radiance, and for that one I can say you're wrong.

Chrono Trigger - it's not a bad game but, like with OoT, people just get absolutely dripping wet for it in a way that it really doesn't seem to earn

Also the same reason as OoT and also FF7. The difference being that FF7 is bad, even by jRPG standards, while CT is one of the best jRPG's.

Metal Gear franchise and basically any game Hideo Kojima put his hands on. Storyfag action games are the worst.

MGS5 has little story. And MGS3 has perfect balance between it's gameplay and campy cutscennes. And both have excellent gameplay and AI (and 3 has a very good campgain).
And while a bad game, it took balls to pull off the stunt he did with MGS2. But still, yeah Kojimbo is a hack.

Mortal Kombat was never good.

Mortal Kombat 9 exists.

Planescape: Torment
:bunkertime:

This guy gets it.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
GTA past 2
Call of Duty and every other indistinguishable military shooter
Half Life 2
Bioshock
Walking Simulators
The Sims
Final Fantasy X
Pokemon

But the worst shit ever award goes for:

World of Warcraft and every other gaem that is designed strictly around addiction.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Tired of everyone always praising Ultima IX and Might and Magic 9...

Sure they're seminal games in their own right, but that doesn't mean they will ever reach Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods status.

Falksi

Arcane
I've not played No Truce with the Disco Dancing Furry Fuckers, but because it's so new we've not had years of it been hailed as great by every dog & his man, so one for a future potential list but not this one this year.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It already has more "best gaem eva" rewards and more threads on codex with retards gushing over it than half of your list combined.

Zenith

Arbiter
:salute: to everyone who mentioned Bioshock.
Definitely the series that exemplifies mindless sheeple worship for me. BS1, thrice dumbed-down before release, then further degenerated with BS3, yet somehow praised as a "smart game". With total nonsense for story that's supposed to be the main draw. With braindead level design (with a quest arrow!) that's somehow considered part of the Looking Glass legacy. With mind-bogglingly bad mechanics (2-weapon limit + permanent upgrades), balance (ammo economy in BS3, harvesting vs saving sisters) and pacing (research minigames, hours of PipeDream). With shit enemies, weapons and encounter design. With misleading marketing and lasting damage on the industry. Eh, I could go on. Decline incarnate.

Falksi

Arcane
It already has more "best gaem eva" rewards and more threads on codex with retards gushing over it than half of your list combined.

Fair point. Talked me into it. On the list.

Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3 are garbage 16-bit era graphicswhore fodder with eurotrash level design that pioneered the collectathon abomination. A shit stain in Nintendo's resume, basically.

Great shouts, great reasoning.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Undertale, IDK why it got so much praise it basically recycled Mother2 that brought nothing new, the only thing I liked about it was the soundtrack.
ME2, Again IDK why people call that game an RPG, it is a fucking shooter and not a good one in my opinion.
Post Call of Duty 2 games in the franchise.
WoW, not only did they rape their own lore with shit like TIME TRAVEL but I never felt it was engaging.
Dragon Age Inquisition
Fallout 3 and 4 for many reasons
God of war, It makes for a movie like experience with all the QTE but I don't see it being a game
Skyrim, mediocre Morrowind that only got saved by the modding community
Uncharted series
Nier Automata, it is a good game in my opinion but it should not be part of TOP 50 games lists
Divinity Original Sin, even all patched up
Into the Breach, nice game but overrated
Civ 5&6, They made Civ into a boring game even with the expansions. Also AI is retarded.
Elite: Dangerous, it is a nice game but gets super boring ounce you grind the ships you want.
Zelda: Majora's Mask

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom