Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zeno Clash II

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:yeah:

Grabbed the first for $1 and despite being a bit limited it was a pretty solid use of the Source engine. The visuals were great and the crazy-as-fuck Terry Gilliam-esque setting fairly unique. Really interested to see what they do with a more open world. Also think they're better off with Unreal over Source.

First one was definitely ok. Plus, not that many first person melee fighters to choose from.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
i can't accustom my depth perception for first person melee. Or even Mirror's Edge.

There is quite a possibility, however, that I just spend more time trying to learn it. I will when I get around my current game obligations.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only problem I had with the perspective is that combat was a bit stiff/clunky and it showed when fighting multiple enemies. They've said they've addressed but who knows.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I hope they won't turn this fine title into some generic open-world wannabe crpg bullshit.
With crafting.

God damn, I fucking hate that bullshit crafting in every single game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I loved the weird original setting of the first although the actual gameplay could use some tweaks,eagerly awaiting for the new one and the Steam summer/winter sale following it

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bros, so far I am a bit disappointed in this game, here's why:

- the move from Source to Unreal Engine 3 has somehow made the game looks worse
- and the controls more clunky
- they've added completely unnecessary RPG elements with upgradeable stats such as health/strength/stamina and leadership (higher leadership = better allies)
- allies suck ass in combat and they're helpful mostly in cluttering up the battlefield, so enemies can't get to you all at once, but observing this clusterfuck of a group fight where everyone is a bumbling completely breaks immersion
- stamina is needed for more advanced attack and for defense and it regenerates very slowly... unless you run out of it completely, then it is replenished by 75% after 2 seconds of grey-filtered vision (*pant* *pant*)
- your allies vanish from battle when their life runs out and you can call them for future brawls until they heal (which takes some time)... except if you die in battle, they are instantly healed and can join you for the retake

Overall, the setting and aesthetics are still quite strong and the voice acting is as bizarrely inept as it was before (which adds to the charm). Music is also nice. But overall I am not sure if this is an it over the original.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Friend of mine D1P'ed it and had similar feedback. It's also not much longer than the first -- he finished it and his Steam time shows 6.7 hours played. Keep in mind a few minutes of that is loading screens and general afk time so maybe 6ish hours. Also agree that it looks somewhat worse in Unreal than it does in Source. Source made the art look crisper/more claymation like which is appropriate for the bizarre setting. Unreal makes it look too natural and earthy.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished it.

Mini-review below.

The game's length is similar to the first one's (it may even be shorter if You skip the optional content), but that is actually good, as the gameplay (fistfights! and more fistfights!) would not be able to sustain more hours. Also, I prefer the quality of content over quantity, and quality is definitely there.

I still think that the move from Source to UE3 was not a very good one, and the auto-healing after death&respawn is a lame hand-holder system, but other than that, the game is good. The setting is as bizarre as expected, or even moreso, with the art style wonderfully weird and the voice-acting equally zenoclashy as previously.

Open world does not add much to the game, except allowing (or even requiring) backtracking, which is nice from "get all collectibles" point of view. And you need these for some side-quests (yes, there are side-quests), although gathering of the three type of collectibles has very uneven pacing. The first part of "collect butterflies" side-quest can be easily resolved around 1/5 into the game and it nets you the best reward: endlessly respawning weapon supply. On the other hand there are only 8 cubes in the world, they can be easily missed, and - You guessed it - You need all of them to [spoiler deleted].

RPG elements are largely superficial and are there more to customize your character rather than develop it (hint: RPGs require you to develop your character [hi, Nameless One], while RPG wannabes allow You to customize him/her [hi, ME2/3-Shepard]) and if You want a more challenging game You may want to skip this completely. If not, You can increase Your Strength (more damage), Health (more life), Stamina (more punching until *pant* *pant*) and Leadership (can recruit stronger allies). For example, I maxed out my Leadership and halfway into the game recruited an ally who almost single-handedly destroyed most opponents from that point on, except the end boss. You can only call allies for specific battles, so in hindsight investing in other stats is probably more efficient (and more satisfying).

TL;DR & summary: If You liked the first one, You should like this one too, but I wouldn't pay $20 for it. Wait for a 50% off, or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom