Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zero Punctuation is Dead - Yahtzee quits the Escapist along with the rest of the staff

He had a few funny videos a long time ago but the the whole gag grew tiresome after a while, especially as he slowed down a lot and you can very much hear the punctuation. Havent watched anything of his for over a decade.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure he will find a new place and maybe a new format really soon. He is so well known at this point that it would be a surprise if that's not the case.
Yahtzee needs an independent YouTube channel and a Patreon, and he'll do fine. In fact, he'll probably make more money than whatever he made before.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Everything but Zero Punctuation will be easily replaced by AI. All of games journalism can die for all I care.

Ebonsword

Arcane

Incredibly fast turnaround, they must've known something was up and prepared for this.

I don't think so. They didn't even have a Discord channel until last night. But I guess we'll see what they say during the stream tomorrow.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The Escapist stopped being any good what, 12, 15 years ago? Their Origin/EA issue was groundbreaking but I remember just a couple of years later reading them and thinking wow, they went downhill fast. As for Croshaw I never found ZP funny or insightful or interesting in any way and never understood what everyone saw in it.

Everything but Zero Punctuation will be easily replaced by AI. All of games journalism can die for all I care.
The entire gimmick with ZP was the monotone talking that, well, sounds like an bot. It'd be the easiest thing to replace with AI and it might as well already have been. Agreed with the 2nd part.

Beastro

Arcane
I'm sure he will find a new place and maybe a new format really soon. He is so well known at this point that it would be a surprise if that's not the case.
Yahtzee needs an independent YouTube channel and a Patreon, and he'll do fine. In fact, he'll probably make more money than whatever he made before.
He already has his own channel where he put the first ZPs up on.

Back when he did his last LPs the subscriber number was small, but looking it up it's almost 200k now.

https://youtube.com/@yahtzee19?si=Ic9jk7HJDLK3aRoN

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The entire gimmick with ZP was the monotone talking that, well, sounds like an bot.
It hasn't been monotone for a very long time. He has a wide range of intonations now. Although a bot can probably imitate that as well.

orcinator

Liturgist
Dropped him forever ago when I discovered the High Seas and could just play games for myself instead of watching snarky reviews, then I noticed how often he's just talking out of his ass.

Last I heard he found Last of Us 2 too much for him but then got really mad at the Hogwarts game.

:Flash:

Arcane
I remember when Yahtzee was just a random poster at the Home of the Underdogs forums. Unkillable Cat and rezaf will probably remember as well. He stayed true to his nickname throughout.
There was no other social media back then, and AFAIK that was the only place where he promoted his stuff when he first started out.
He started with a website that had the tagline "Where laughter goes to die". I remember thinking that the guy has talent back then, there was some really funny stuff on it. Also, the tagline was just great, which is why I remember it. It was one of the very few "random website by a random guy" (which was basically all websites back then) that I visited regularly. Unfortunately I can't remember the url, I'd like to look at it on archive.org. IIRC HotU putting his first game "Six days a stranger" on its front page was the only promotion he ever got.
He also got his first girlfriend from the forums and they moved in together, but they separated shortly before he got his job at the Escapist.

Hobknobling

Learned
The Escapist was impressive in it's ability to completely wrap itself around Yahtzee (and his editing team) without finding anyone else to rely on. This company thought that hiring MovieBlob was a good move. Yahtzee must have had a great contract with them since he stayed for so long.

I have never thought that Yahtzee is a some sort of serious critic and I don't understand why people try to evaluate him as one.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I have never thought that Yahtzee is a some sort of serious critic and I don't understand why people try to evaluate him as one.

I think he is a serious critic, but he uses other outlets for that (like the live streams that accompany each ZP). I think he has always said that ZP itself is mostly meant just to entertain.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember when Yahtzee was just a random poster at the Home of the Underdogs forums. Unkillable Cat and rezaf will probably remember as well. He stayed true to his nickname throughout.
There was no other social media back then, and AFAIK that was the only place where he promoted his stuff when he first started out.
He started with a website that had the tagline "Where laughter goes to die". I remember thinking that the guy has talent back then, there was some really funny stuff on it. Also, the tagline was just great, which is why I remember it. It was one of the very few "random website by a random guy" (which was basically all websites back then) that I visited regularly. Unfortunately I can't remember the url, I'd like to look at it on archive.org. IIRC HotU putting his first game "Six days a stranger" on its front page was the only promotion he ever got.
He also got his first girlfriend from the forums and they moved in together, but they separated shortly before he got his job at the Escapist.

Yeah, I remember the Stroppy Git. ;)

When he did his first 'Age of Evil'-episode for Duke Nukem 3D, he named me as an inspiration for him to continue with the next two episodes.

He'll survive this. If he could survive his first girlfriend, he can survive anything.

As for the website, is it this one?

:Flash:

Arcane

Yeah, I remember the Stroppy Git. ;)

When he did his first 'Age of Evil'-episode for Duke Nukem 3D, he named me as an inspiration for him to continue with the next two episodes.

He'll survive this. If he could survive his first girlfriend, he can survive anything.

As for the website, is it this one?
Well, almost. ;-) Blogs weren't a thing back then. But thanks to the title, I found it:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030215141319/http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/

The site still exists, but other than the logo, it looks different now, and the tagline has changed.

And yes, I remember her being a drama queen. I wonder what happened to the marriage between Teesh (?) and that Spanish dude.

Neuromancer

Augur
I miss the Home of the Underdogs!
:love:
I wasn't active on the forum, but visited the main page and sub pages frequently.
It was a great place to find some obscure - but still very good - games.

Someone tried to revive it later, but it wasn't the same.

Wasn't the original founder a woman from Hong Kong?
The site went down rather quickly. What happened to her?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Surprised people on here like Yahtzee.
Not everyone here is into virtue signaling
Yahtzee calls Rowling a “terf” and a “cunt”, which suggests he supports trannies.
Yeah, so what?
So why boost him?
I don't know you SJW, because of his content. Like I said, you're virtue signalling and not everyone here cares about that

911 Jumper

Educated
Surprised people on here like Yahtzee.
Not everyone here is into virtue signaling
Yahtzee calls Rowling a “terf” and a “cunt”, which suggests he supports trannies.
Yeah, so what?
So why boost him?
I don't know you SJW, because of his content. Like I said, you're virtue signalling and not everyone here cares about that
Ok I'm talking to a retard. Got it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom