Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum vs Planescape: Torment

Which is the better RPG?

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Planescape: Torment

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

DemonKing

Arcane
Sorry, for me the few decent things about Arcanum (for example the variety of character options) was completely ruined by the awful presenation (it looked worse than the orginal Fallout but was released 4 years later...), atrocious combat and unbalanced nature of the character builds.

PST didn't have great combat either, but at least everything else was done competantly and the storyline was great.

Thrasher

Erudite
Yep, fast turned-based is the only way to play Arcanum.

The real-time combat option is horrible.

Helton

Arcane
I've actually only finished Arcanum once I always run out of steam on the (OH SHIT SPOILER) part.

Beat PST twice and gotten to Kurst several times. So I'd say PST is more replayable.

Much more awesome things in PST also. More personal story, alternate feedback system. My reward for playing thorough isn't fat loot, but a cool body part and a well written memory. gotta catch 'em all.

Very, very well done game. Truly excellent and only starts losing steam about 3/4 through, I think. Arcanum doesn't hold up so well in my eyes once you cross the mountains, which is roughly half way through...

bhlaab

Erudite
I haven't really played arcanum besides trying it out but they've changed all the hotkeys around from Fallout which pisses me off 4/10

Raapys

Arcane
Numbers never lie, and the numbers says PS:T ownzz Arcanum. Cloaked Figure lost.

Kavax

Scholar
I'm going to do a point-by-point comparison rather than just "I think Torment/Arcanum is the best game!"

Main Quest: PS: T > Arcanum
Combat: Arcanum > PS: T
Dialog & NPC's: PS: T > Arcanum
Side-Questing: Arcanum > PS: T
C&C: Arcanum > PS: T
Graphics: PS: T > Arcanum
Setting: PS: T > Arcanum
Character Design: Arcanum > PS: T
Puzzles: PS: T > Arcanum
Exploration: Arcanum > PS: T

PS: T = 5 wins
Arcanum = 5 wins

xuerebx

Erudite
I've only played Ps:T, though it had deep wonderful writing it wasn't particularly fun. I had stopped playing it when I bought Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.

I might try out arcanum, though the setting doesn't look that interesting, hopefully I'm wrong.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
I like Arcanum an awful lot. It's a really fantastically conceived of game-world and the character system is pretty top notch. I try to play through it about once a year as well, just about as often as PS:T. (This year I finished PS:T at level 70 on a completionist play though, and abandoned Arcanum somewhere around the Wheel Clan)

Most of the time I finish both, sometimes one, sometimes neither... but every year I find that there are parts of Arcanum that I simply dread playing through. Annoying, pure-combat, story-required areas like the Blackmountain Clan and the pass that leads you from one side of the continent to the other... parts that really just draw me out of the game completely.

PS:T has never annoyed me like that though. The combat is probably just about as bland as Arcanum's but at least in Planescape I can drop a Fire and Ice or Mechanus Cannon spell and clear a room if I don't feel like fighting twenty guys. And there's just something about Planescape, something that completely draws me in every time I start it up. I've played it all before, but almost all of it feels new very time. I still care about the characters, I"m still engrossed in the story and the whittling out of a sense of self through actions and memory recovery, I still care about the way that The Nameless One comes out of it, and I still enjoy it more than Arcanum. Every time.

Main Quest: Arcanum
Combat: Arcanum
Dialog & NPC's: 50/50 I can see why some might pick Torment, but the actual ability to choose something that effects the gameplay makes it win hands down.
Side-Questing: Arcanum
C&C: Arcanum > Arcanum, massively
Graphics: PS: T it was hand drawn...
Setting: Arcanum
Character Design: Arcanum
Puzzles: PS: T
Exploration: Arcanum

Zomg

Arbiter
It's been longer since I've played Arcanum, but I remember my big hangup being how unnatural the opening part of it feels. I instantly disliked the Virgil interaction and the nature of that meeting really brought out my sense of being railroaded and set a shitty tone for the roleplaying through the whole game. The mostly-textureless party NPCs also usually end up hurting the cohesion. Anyway, eventually you get to the awful combat slogs and everything in the game collapses under the burden even more acutely than in PS:T.

Erebus

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Main Quest: Arcanum

WHAT ?!! I sort of understand the rest, although I don't necessarily agree with it. But you can't seriously tell me you think Arcanum's extremely forgettable main plot is superior to Torment's story.

Also, comparing Arcanum's NPCs to Torment's is like comparing a bottle of warm coke to a glass of fine champagne.

Zomg

Arbiter
Let's not overpraise a crappy stimulus response pianissimo troll. It's OK in terms of shostakovich's campaign to incrementally reduce the quality of the codex over time (for which any effort is overkill) but taken individually I don't think anyone is exactly smashing their keyboard in rage.

Worm King

Scholar
Zomg said:
It's been longer since I've played Arcanum, but I remember my big hangup being how unnatural the opening part of it feels. I instantly disliked the Virgil interaction and the nature of that meeting really brought out my sense of being railroaded and set a shitty tone for the roleplaying through the whole game. The mostly-textureless party NPCs also usually end up hurting the cohesion. Anyway, eventually you get to the awful combat slogs and everything in the game collapses under the burden even more acutely than in PS:T.

Railroaded? You can tell Virgil to fuck off and go on your own merry way. The quests and NPCs all have numerous approaches right from the beginning.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Zomg

Arbiter
@Worm King: I can't remember it well enough to be specific (I remember my impression better than the game), but I wasn't saying that you're forced to take Virgil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom