Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best rpg( larger definition) of the year

Wich is the best one ?

• News vegas : old world blues(and other dlcs)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The witcher 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xenoblade

• Deux EX HR

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Dark souls

• Drakensang: river of time (and addon)

• Avadon

• Frayed knights

• two worlds 2

• Dragon age 2

• I am not satisfied by any of those games

• Total voters

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Volourn said:
"cRPG stands for computer RPG you bloody idiot, a console RPG IS a cRPG."

Consoles are computers you hence the title applies to them

:lol:

Volourn reading failure, guess I shouldn't be surprised. This

Volourn said:
Consoles are computers you hence the title applies to them

is what I just said. How can you miss the simplicity of this line:

Grunker said:
a console RPG IS a cRPG.

haha, shit

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Shouldn't this thread be make once 2011 is, you know, over? Particularly since Skyrim isn't out yet.

That said, it's gonna be either Skyrim or NV. Nothing else comes close.

Sordid Jester

Educated
Crooked Bee said:
Info about the game? -Snip-
Thanks for the links, I'll give it a peek. Never was one for Zelda-style at all but a want for new games will probably overcome that once I get some money in~

Machocruz

Arcane
sea said:
Where the "elitist" argument comes in is that, since console titles are almost always targeted towards the mass market, must be played with gamepads, must be played on TVs of all shapes and sizes, etc., you end up with a lot of compromises in game interface, control and mechanical complexity. Depending on genre this can be more severe than others, but ultimately console games are almost always less capable than they would be on PC for one reason or another... even if that reason is something like a lack of mod support. That's where the PC "elitism" comes from, the knowledge that with proper utilization of the platform, all games could be made better. If someone dismisses a game outright because it's on a console, then yes, that person is an idiot... but if a person dismisses a game because it has been actively hampered by consoles and all the design sensibilities, compromises and limitations that come along with said consoles, then I don't see the problem.

The compromises stem from western developers trying to push PC style games on consoles, and failing because the idea of a console was to bring the arcade experience home, not to emulate the more complex PC experience (I mean gameplay 'experience', not cinemaandlifestylefag experience). . There was little of the crossover with console and PC software that we have now. There were not compromises to accomodate consoles, the style of game were completely different. The consoles only needed enough power to play simple, twitchy, action and puzzle games, with a few graphical bells and whistles. Even console RPGs reflected this, with simpler systems and and less interactive minutia, but bold art styles. The audience for console games (ie arcade action games) does not want the complexity of PC games, but these devs keep trying, and the games' potential suffer.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sordid Jester said:
Crooked Bee said:
Info about the game? -Snip-
Thanks for the links, I'll give it a peek. Never was one for Zelda-style at all but a want for new games will probably overcome that once I get some money in~

There's a demo on Steam, although I don't remember just how extended it is; you can download it and judge for yourself; just keep in mind the game really begins with the first dungeon and the first boss -- I hope those are included in the demo. I'd say Chantelise is definitely more challenging than any Zelda game I played, and challenge is its main appeal as an action-RPG, really. Enemies are numerous and will do their best to fuck you up. Then again, if you're really good at action games, that won't be too much of a challenge; I heard lots of very different opinions.

tl;dr There's a demo. And the full game is iirc $10 on Steam.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Machocruz said:
sea said:
Where the "elitist" argument comes in is that, since console titles are almost always targeted towards the mass market, must be played with gamepads, must be played on TVs of all shapes and sizes, etc., you end up with a lot of compromises in game interface, control and mechanical complexity. Depending on genre this can be more severe than others, but ultimately console games are almost always less capable than they would be on PC for one reason or another... even if that reason is something like a lack of mod support. That's where the PC "elitism" comes from, the knowledge that with proper utilization of the platform, all games could be made better. If someone dismisses a game outright because it's on a console, then yes, that person is an idiot... but if a person dismisses a game because it has been actively hampered by consoles and all the design sensibilities, compromises and limitations that come along with said consoles, then I don't see the problem.

The compromises stem from western developers trying to push PC style games on consoles, and failing because the idea of a console was to bring the arcade experience home, not to emulate the more complex PC experience (I mean gameplay 'experience', not cinemaandlifestylefag experience). . There was little of the crossover with console and PC software that we have now. There were not compromises to accomodate consoles, the style of game were completely different. The consoles only needed enough power to play simple, twitchy, action and puzzle games, with a few graphical bells and whistles. Even console RPGs reflected this, with simpler systems and and less interactive minutia, but bold art styles. The audience for console games (ie arcade action games) does not want the complexity of PC games, but these devs keep trying, and the games' potential suffer.

Morrowind did just fine even though it was pretty much a PC port.

Mortmal

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Shouldn't this thread be make once 2011 is, you know, over? Particularly since Skyrim isn't out yet.

That said, it's gonna be either Skyrim or NV. Nothing else comes close.

yes , but its a preliminary poll, shows what people really right now, obviously dark soul is very popular.Future titles to be added.
Resctricting to pc only theres no need to do any poll , frayed knights wins by death of other contestants, every other title is concole and multiplatform.

I've not played chantelise , hmm its pc only, we should massively vote for it in jaesun thread! If it wins it will be as fun as a clown on fire , think about it !

Machocruz

Arcane
Mastermind said:
Morrowind did just fine even though it was pretty much a PC port.

One example, an action RPG, and all I read now from console players is how over-complicated that game was, and how modern RPG are so much better for their streamlining. The Xbox Generatoin would never accept something as complex as Temple of Elemental Evil or Hearts of Iron. The publishers would never except the sales figures of games as complex as those.

And Morrowind was a chore to play on Xbox. I think the loading times were even worse than Legacy of Kain.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Machocruz said:
This is true, of course. Consoles were *the* games market for a long time and, truth be told, computer titles weren't even all that good up until the mid-late 80s, compared to the stuff coming out for consoles. I'm speaking from a more modern perspective (starting roughly with the PlayStation 2 generation) where consolidation of the PC market into the console market began.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Grunker said:
cRPG stands for computer RPG you bloody idiot, a console RPG IS a cRPG. The c is there to make a distinction between cRPG and pen&paper. By your logic this site could only be about Dungeons & Dragons :lol:
That's ridiculous. No one says "Super Mario Bros is my favorite computer game!" If you want to avoid confusion then call them vrpgs. Video role playing games.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Nobody says Fallout is their favourite 'computer game' either. 'Computer game' isn't a common term. It's either generalized as 'video game' or broken down to genre or rarely platform (Macs are computers too, distinct from PCs, and shit is not compatible)

Damned Registrations

PC =! computer. PC is to computer as Mac, Playstation and NES are to computer.

If the acronym were 'pcrpg' you'd have a point.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Stop being a pedantic autist. I've never seen anyone call Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest a "crpg" and when it comes to communication it's best to use clear terms that can't be misconstrued by someone who doesn't use your crazy autistic/aspergian way of thinking.

Multi-headed Cow

Not voting until I can vote Skyrim because Skyrim is RPG of the year 2011.

Damned Registrations

Roguey said:
Stop being a pedantic autist. I've never seen anyone call Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest a "crpg" and when it comes to communication it's best to use clear terms that can't be misconstrued by someone who doesn't use your crazy autistic/aspergian way of thinking.

Right. Sorry for my bizzare alien thinking grounded in, you know, reality.

final fantasy is a crpg - Google Search

1. Urban Dictionary: crpg

"CRPG. Computer Role-Playing Game. Some deservedly famous CRPG's include the Baldur's Gate series and the Final Fantasy games. buy crpg mugs & shirts ..."
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crpg

I'd never heard crpg or jrpg used before I visited this website, and it's never been clearly defined to my recollection. For a while I thought it might have stood for console rpg.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As for me, I haven't really played any of the RPG's of this year. Well, there is TW2, which I loved, but it's not much of an RPG to begin with. I played the Frayed Knights demo, which was nice, but the full game will have to wait. Well, Chantelise is loads of fun but like TW2 it's not much of an RPG, and while the English release happened this year, the game was released earlier in Japanese.

So I got Frayed Knights planned for much later, Avadon in my near future, and the New Vegas DLC's for when I decide to go for another playthrough. Apart from a few games which I want to play at release, like TW2 or Space Marine, I play most stuff years after it's been released. Heck, I only played Alpha Protocol earlier this year and that was already too early for me :D

SkyrimSucks

Novice
Crooked Bee said:
Voted Dark Souls.

Personally, for me it's Dark Souls > Chantelise > E.Y.E. > Demise: Ascension > Fallout NV DLCs > Frayed Knights this year.

Only 1 of the games you mentioned are RPGs (frayed Knights). the rest are action games with some rpg elements.

Honestly, why the fuck is Dark Souls on the poll? It's not an rpg.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
SkyrimSucks said:
Crooked Bee said:
Voted Dark Souls.

Personally, for me it's Dark Souls > Chantelise > E.Y.E. > Demise: Ascension > Fallout NV DLCs > Frayed Knights this year.

Only 1 of the games you mentioned are RPGs (frayed Knights). the rest are action games with some rpg elements.

Why stop here? Let's just say that Frayed Knight is not an RPG either. :M

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crooked Bee said:
Gragt said:
Crooked Bee said:
Chantelise

Oh, you played it! And I thought I was the only one here …

One of the best Steam purchases for me this year, and one of the best games this year too.
:thumbsup:

Is it the successor to Reccetear ? Can these two even be compared ?

Also, voted Dark Souls, just for the drama. Haven't played any of the games on the list.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DwarvenFood said:
Is it the successor to Reccetear ?

Predecessor, but its English-language release only happened after Recettear's success. Chantelise lacks Recettear's unique gimmick, but personally I enjoyed it more; Recettear's dungeon crawling and combat felt duller to me.

SkyrimSucks said:

Haha you got me... not.

I could somewhat sympathise with your position if you had said "2" instead of "1". And no, in this case I don't even mean Dark Souls. But as things stand, you're just a shithead. And I'm hunting those.

You'll fit in here just fine though, no worries. Or maybe you're just another alt, what with the name like that.

SkyrimSucks said:

Funny how Dark Souls is a much better RPG than Frayed Knights.

SkyrimSucks

Novice
You don't have to resort to name calling Crooked Bee. Try to be a gentlewoman.

But seriously, how can you even say Dark Souls is an rpg when Frayed Knights is not? That's retarded and will only get you ridiculed here.

Dark Souls is a twitch based action game with some rpg elements. Frayed Knights is a proper crpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom