Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG of 2008

Best RPG of 2008?

• Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • NWN2: Storm of Zehir

• Sacred 2

• Hinterland

• The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

• Kivi's Underworld

• Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode Two

• Fable 2

• Drakensang: The Dark Eye

• Mount & Blade Retail Version

• DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale

• Space Siege

• The Spirit Engine 2

• Fate: Unsdiscovered Realms

• Silverfall: Earth Awakening

• Mass Effect PC

• King's Bounty: The Legend

• Avernum 5

• Total voters

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
2007:

Gold: The Witcher
Silver: NWN2: MotB
Bronze: Eschalon: Book 1

2008:

Gold: The Witcher: EE
Silver: NWN2: SoZ
Bronze: King's Bounty: The Legend

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
dagorkan said:
I like how the majority of your list aren't RPGs.

Can you guess the one thing they had in common?

They were all on the RPGCodex front page.

mondblut

Arcane
I voted Avernum 5. I haven't played it, and it is likely boring as hell, but at least it is the only 1000% proof RPG on the list.

Voted Gothic 3: F(a)G

Saw this in another forum thread somewhere and was :lol: :

gothic3FG_newsletter_en_01.jpg

gothic3FG_newsletter_en_02.jpg

gothic3FG_newsletter_en_03.jpg

bonus:
gothic3FG_newsletter_en_06.jpg

Micmu

Magister
What a sad and pathetic list. Most of them are action-whatever-likes.
Voted for Avernum 5, since it's the only RPG from the list I played (my copy of SoZ arrives tomorrow, and I already played original Witcher). King's bounty is a neat-o, too, but I wouldn't stuff it amongst RPGs.

Who voted for space siege? haha :P

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
i like space siege :(

it has everything i want. space and siege. it is a great game. :(

the last game had dungeons and siege. i don't like dungeons. dungeons make me impotent. :(

space is better. :)

Ghoulem

Erudite
Voted my own life. Best choice and consequence ever. Protagonist is some kinda of anti-hero running around telling dick-jokes and masturbating. The main quest about staying away from other semi-alcoholic women while waiting for his exiled girlfriend to return is quite challenging, but really awarding if you complete it.

Graphics is great, dialogue trees are an endless pool of fun if you choose to play as a malkavian. So far there is no proof to the theory that it is impossible to totally avoid combat. Shades of grey everywhere. Need to get back to this game asap. Speak to you later.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Ghoulem said:
Voted my own life. Best choice and consequence ever. Protagonist is some kinda of anti-hero running around telling dick-jokes and masturbating. The main quest about staying away from other semi-alcoholic women while waiting for his exiled girlfriend to return is quite challenging, but really awarding if you complete it.

Graphics is great, dialogue trees are an endless pool of fun if you choose to play as a malkavian. So far there is no proof to the theory that it is impossible to totally avoid combat. Shades of grey everywhere. Need to get back to this game asap. Speak to you later.
We have the same game. Heard anything about a patch or a solution of some kind to skip the tutorials every time you start over? It's kind of annoying.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
How can anyone vote for TW even they actually like it? The game didn't come out this year. An enhanced patch doesn't make it a new game worthy of the vote. if it did, NWN1 would eligible. Dumbasses.

dragonfk

Erudite
Volourn said:
How can anyone vote for TW even they actually like it? The game didn't come out this year. An enhanced patch doesn't make it a new game worthy of the vote. if it did, NWN1 would eligible. Dumbasses.

First time I agree with Volourn. With the exception of NWN remark. No patch can fix SP campaign from NWN(not that they tried) and I dont count MP modules as a quality I look for in cRPGs.

Mr. Wednesday

Scholar
NWN has SP modules too, although I don't see any of those up there. Wasn't the "Enhanced Edition" supposed to be a sort of mini-expansion though?

I voted Avernum 5, the only one I played. It wasn't good at all. If Vogel's reading this, hi, stick to Geneforge please.

dragonfk

Erudite
Mr. Wednesday said:
Wasn't the "Enhanced Edition" supposed to be a sort of mini-expansion though?

No.

As for NWN it seems like I didnt make myself clear. I wont gratify Bioware for things they didnt do. So it may be a great game(as a platform for custom made modules), but not a great RPG.

The best NWN modules are better than most modern games, and they're mostly made with just the one tool, and approximately cost $0 to make.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"approximately cost $0 to make."

No. Time = $

And, NWN is awesome. Period. Undisputable fact. The entire apckage. However, it is irrelevant.

The point is that TW shouldn't be eligible for this award.. not that this is a serious poll, anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom