Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire update! ITZ Comin'.

Caveman

Scholar
and Cleve is badass. He can write any game in 2 weeks or so.
Unfortunately his bunker thing is taking to much his time.

mondblut

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
I find this funny, skullcap, because Cleveland Mark Blakemore is a huge Fallout 3/BioShock fan, and he considers them ideal games.

So those can be the standards by which he'll be making Grimoire.

Since Grimoire design was pretty much laid out back in mid-90s, the worst that can happen to it is a ceasing of its development. I can't see how Fallout 3 or Bioshock could in any shape or form become standarts for a 98% ready Wizardry 6 clone.

Besides, Vogel is a Guitar Hero and GTA fan who despises traditional RPGs, yet it doesn't prevent him from releasing one traditional RPG after another.

mondblut

Arcane
skullcap said:
Clive, we do hope Grimoire is going to be moddable. Cause there's ideas long flailing in the air (since the last beta, that's how long) to create some seriously smokey settings.

Could've never forgotten Westwood and SSI for NOT releasing a level editor for neither EOB series nor Lans of Lore.

Don't repeat their mean mistake.
You are even allowed to charge double for the editor.

Editor is going to be bundled with Grimoire 3.

At least according to the release plan some 3 or 4 website iterations back, probably on grimoire.com.au even. In, like... 2003? Sadly, archive.org didn't keep that specific page :)

nomask7

Arcane
SkeleTony said:
MisterStone said:
Cleve, if the shit hits the fan before you finish Grimoire no one will be witness to your game designing and coding prowess. Considering that you were predicting the end of civilization to happen last year, I think you'd better get a move on it.

Worse than that he also predicted the U.S. would fall under civil war back in like 2002-2003.

He must be shitting bricks over Barack getting elected President.

Say Cleve...how long before Obama pulls off the mask to reveal his true identity as Osama Bin Laden and then orders the military to take away everyone's guns and sends all white people to FEMA camps?

Why does ANYONE even care about Grimoire?! It looks like crap even for a mid-1990s era Wizardry knock off and the developer is an imbecile who makes David Duke, Ron Paul and Glenn Beck seem sane! I mean really people...have some fucking self-respect.
By 'sane' you mean 'conformist'? That's usually what people actually mean by it. They aren't knowledgeable enough to diagnose a person's mental health. I wonder what you'd have thought of Beethoven or Nietzsche back in the days. Intelligent people who for some reason started to think for themselves at some point in their lives (for Nietzsche that reason was his illness which forced him to leave academia) rarely seem sane to the rest of the population. For the whole history of mankind, everyone apart from very few outcasts or dissenters has believed all sorts of nonsense as a rule without exception. Every generation of boobs seems to think that this rule of history was somehow suspended when they were born, cuz it's our generation that finally "gets it". It's all about us, isn't it?

Cleve's lightning speed of writing funny, top-quality posts with a unique style indicates that he really does have an exceptionally high IQ (higher than 99.99% of the population) as he says (158 Stanford-Binet and 183 Wechsler-Brenner, supposedly the latter test being inaccurate for anyone who scores that high on Stanford-Binet).

NormalCurveSmall.gif

The issue here is conformism vs. individualism, and mediocrity vs. superiority.

EvilManagedCare

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
SkeleTony, you are not wrong, but one would lose count on seeing the number of oddball or socially abnormal people who develop games.

Atari was run by stoned hippies with long hair.

id software had people who lived in the offices and never bathed.

I remember this Realms Of Arkania cluebook which showed a picture of the German lead design, complete with his pale face, uncut hair, and all the signs that this guy was squatting in his office at his computer, and not doing much else for days.

And many of them have wierd fucked up interests. Carmack is a rocket scientist, for example.

Plus, in the golden age of the C64, Apple II and all that, there was a seemingly higher incidence of transgenderism among game developers. It must be the mark of genius because the ones that come to mind were at least partially responsible for some awesome games. These were Dan (Dani) Bunten who made MULE, and Burger "Bill" (Rebecca) Heineman who worked on Wasteland. Then there is Jamie Fenton who developed the arcade game GORF among other things, and the author of Shamus evidently was also transgender. Strange.

Panthera

Scholar
EvilManagedCare said:
Wyrmlord said:
SkeleTony, you are not wrong, but one would lose count on seeing the number of oddball or socially abnormal people who develop games.

I remember this Realms Of Arkania cluebook which showed a picture of the German lead design, complete with his pale face, uncut hair, and all the signs that this guy was squatting in his office at his computer, and not doing much else for days.

And many of them have wierd fucked up interests. Carmack is a rocket scientist, for example.

Plus, in the golden age of the C64, Apple II and all that, there was a seemingly higher incidence of transgenderism among game developers. It must be the mark of genius because the ones that come to mind were at least partially responsible for some awesome games. These were Dan (Dani) Bunten who made MULE, and Burger "Bill" (Rebecca) Heineman who worked on Wasteland. Then there is Jamie Fenton who developed the arcade game GORF among other things, and the author of Shamus evidently was also transgender. Strange.

That's interesting. I can think of another - Jennifer Reitz, who worked on a lot of Mac games in the '80s. She made a whole webcomic in that old black-and-white pixel art style, which is how I heard of her. http://www.unicornjelly.com/

I don't recommend her more recent webcomics.

SkeleTony

Augur
Wyrmlord said:

There is a HUGE difference between having personality quirks and bizarre interests and being a fucking ignorant racist and right-wing conspiracy theorist who refers to non-whites as "mud people" and thinks Einstein plagiarized white men for his Relativity theory because of a book by some anti-semite and an out of context quote.

Buying this game by Cleve is little different than buying a book by Rush Limbaugh. I guess if someone agrees with that stuff they will be fine with it but it seems that many who(I would think) DON'T agree with his nonsense are still clamoring for the release of Grimoire in these forums and the excuse seems to be that since there is a shortage of oldschool RPGs being released they need to be excited for every one that is announced.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
This Grimoire is a joke, just like you Cleveland Mark Blakemore. Why can't you just fuck off and die?

Higher Game

Arcane
SkeleTony said:
There is a HUGE difference between having personality quirks and bizarre interests and being a fucking ignorant racist and right-wing conspiracy theorist who refers to non-whites as "mud people" and thinks Einstein plagiarized white men for his Relativity theory because of a book by some anti-semite and an out of context quote.

Cleve is racist, but he isn't ignorant. In fact, he's extremely knowledgeable. Yes, Einstein did take/steal many ideas from other scientists and possibly even his first wife, though it's mostly feminists who claim that...

SkeleTony said:
Buying this game by Cleve is little different than buying a book by Rush Limbaugh. I guess if someone agrees with that stuff they will be fine with it but it seems that many who(I would think) DON'T agree with his nonsense are still clamoring for the release of Grimoire in these forums and the excuse seems to be that since there is a shortage of oldschool RPGs being released they need to be excited for every one that is announced.

You're acting like he's gay or something. Grow up and appreciate what he's doing for the scene.

SkeleTony

Augur
skullcap said:
SkeleTony said:
I mean really people...have some fucking self-respect.
you know what the term coproeconomics mean, eh, tony?

it's the economics that is based on producing and selling outward crap.
because crap is easier to produce, takes less time to develop, will expire faster or the consumer will dump it (which will prompt him to buy next portion of crap).

Back in the 90-ies it was still possible to produce original, interesting product, with innovative gameplay. Gamedesign was still a kind of art in itself, where companies dared to invent and introduce new things, even new genres, and where so much ground was broken.
But not anymore.

The companies don't want to risk or invent anything anymore. They've got what the 90-ies left them, and they are set to reuse the same ideas over and over again, wrapping them in more and more shiny gfx. Exciting, eh?

No big deal if you burn out after an hour or so of playing the modern-times RPG, and shove the game on the shelf forever. Knock-knock, gamespot newsflash: "Hey, looksie here, we've been pushing very hard for you, and now there's more shiny crap coming out this year! Stay tuned!"

While game companies are busy releasing title after title of shameless fop dressed in all the nice 3d confetti, the business of designing real games lies now in the hands of indie designers. It is there where the most adventurous and brave are now congregating. This is where the risks are taken, and the new ground broken.

So, if you have no self-respect to know better than coughing up another hundred bucks on a portion of fallout3 or redalert or whatever piss they throw in stores, have some respect for people who try to make something other than crap!

What the Hell does any of what you wrote have to do with what I wrote?! I do not buy or play 'crap'. The most recently released game I own is Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich. I keep myself entertained with the old and good games, roguelikes and indie games(have always preferred infdie games over retail).

@ Nomask: Conformity vs. individualism is irrelevant to the discussion or what I said. It is right vs. wrong & ignorance vs. enlightenment. On top of Cleve being a jackass his game design sucks ass! I LOVE oldschool, hand drawn graphics and step-based movement but the random pop-up battles are inexcusable even in the late 1990s(let alone 2009). And if you are going to include the familiar Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, etc.(along with some unusual sci-fi type races) then just call them "Dwarves", "elves" etc. Renaming them as "Barrowers" and such is stupid and does not qualify as being 'creative'. Either create something unique(ala Skyrealms of Jorune) or just do the familiar as well as you can.

Not to mention in his old design notes and such that used to be up on his old site years ago, he had this goal of making a fantasy RPG that "included no Liberal hippy elements", which would sound fine if coming from a rational person but from Cleve this sounds like he really is going to have a bunch of enemies/monsters that are like Jews and Blacks crawling out of the mud and so forth.

nomask7

Arcane
SkeleTony said:
Wyrmlord said:

A political book is the same as a game? What if Blakemore doesn't express his political views through his games? Do you also avoid the music of Wagner because he was an antisemite? I'm asking, because it sounds to me like you're taking political faggotry and close-mindedness to heights that someone like Cleve has probably never dreamed of, even before he had begun to examine points of view other than the mainstream. You sound like you would have made a good Stalinist, or a good Nazi for that matter.

nomask7

Arcane
SkeleTony said:
@ Nomask: Conformity vs. individualism is irrelevant to the discussion or what I said. It is right vs. wrong & ignorance vs. enlightenment.
You're quoting Lenin now, amirite?

SkeleTony said:
Not to mention in his old design notes and such that used to be up on his old site years ago, he had this goal of making a fantasy RPG that "included no Liberal hippy elements", which would sound fine if coming from a rational person but from Cleve this sounds like he really is going to have a bunch of enemies/monsters that are like Jews and Blacks crawling out of the mud and so forth.
Maybe you should wait and see, before judging. That's the Western democratic way, which you pretend to uphold, so uphold it, dumbass. I often play liberal anti-tradition games since there isn't much else to play, and you don't hear me complaining about that, much. I guess I should complain, since the truth is I'm sick and tired of the current zeitgeist. Might & Magic VI, when I played it for the first time a year ago, was like a breath of fresh air after long days of poison chamber with its characters that looked like something you might expect to find in old European legends and that emanated an aura of Aryan nobility. That's not what you find in RPG or adventure games these days, which is a fact that might surprise someone since old archetypes and familiar racial features are very appealing to Europeans and their descendants in a way that mere exoticism can never be. Instead what you'll find is a collection of multicult enrichers, no trace of mythical European roots or soul whatsoever. Where is the Nibelung's Ring of games? Where are all the REAL EPICS? Nowhere at all.

nomask7

Arcane
Main%20Menu.JPG

Even here, the blonde Aryan male is the dead white male. Or am I being too postmodernist in my concise overanalysis of the picture?

Eldritch

Scholar
nomask7, the heroic aryan warrior looks like the tank of the party there so he might have just soaked up all the damage and got pwned saving his comrades, hmm?

Think positive!

SkeleTony

Augur
Higher Game said:
SkeleTony said:

Cleve is racist, but he isn't ignorant. In fact, he's extremely knowledgeable. Yes, Einstein did take/steal many ideas from other scientists and possibly even his first wife, though it's mostly feminists who claim that...

False all around. Einstein did not plagiarize anyone. ALL science is built on the science that was done before but that does not = plagiarism.

And Cleve is one of the more ignorant people I have had the misfortune to debate. Being knowledgeable about bullshit that you want to believe is real does not = not being ignorant.

You're acting like he's gay or something. Grow up and appreciate what he's doing for the scene.

Start making sense please. WTF has he done for the scene and where did the 'gay' comment come from?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
nomask7 said:
Main%20Menu.JPG

Even here, the blonde Aryan male is the dead white male. Or am I being too postmodernist in my concise overanalysis of the picture?
I know you are joking, but isn't there an Arabic/Egyptian bent to MM6?

I don't think it is a very...Nordic game.

SkeleTony

Augur
nomask7 said:
Main%20Menu.JPG

Reading your last three posts I can see you are trolling me. If I were much interested in trolls I would say "Well played sir!", but I am not.

And yes...if you look at a typical piece of fantasy art, see a dead/unconscious white guy and from that extrapolate some sort of anti-white conspiracy, you most certainly ARE going off the deep end.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nomask7 said:
Main%20Menu.JPG

Also notice how the dragon looks at the blonde Aryan female to kill next.

Andhaira

Arcane
Speaking of blone aryans, is grimoire coming along as per schedule? Whats the latest from grimoire systems?

Will vault co please respond.

nomask7

Arcane
SkeleTony said:
nomask7 said:
Main%20Menu.JPG

Reading your last three posts I can see you are trolling me. If I were much interested in trolls I would say "Well played sir!", but I am not.

And yes...if you look at a typical piece of fantasy art, see a dead/unconscious white guy and from that extrapolate some sort of anti-white conspiracy, you most certainly ARE going off the deep end.
I'm not into trolls either, so oh go away please good sir troll, verily you disgust me, you ugly creature telling people not to play a game because your worldview is different from the game's author's—you can't be serious! ... or sane!

sirfink

Scholar
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
I showed this to somebody yesterday and they said it was the eeriest, scariest thing they have ever seen in a computer game.

Wait! You let other people into your bunker?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom