Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: collar grabbing, rape, and space nazis.

sounds like Liara needs mission's vibroblade

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
So anyhoo, Mass Effect PC is coming out soonish (I think? At least in the US. Us Europeans will probably have to wait a week or two), should I purchase it? I can't really decide if going all Jack Bauer apeshit on everyone will be worth the 60 euro pricetag. Combat sounds ehue too. Then again, Bioware games tend to be pretty polished, and being a total dick to an interviewee sounds like fun (provided that you see the interview later). From looking at gameplay vids, the dialogue pisses me off immensily, so I doubt I'll be overjoyed when actually using the system for myself. Plus the interface will probably suck. I dunno.

Help me, Codex!

Oh dang, is there a demo? That'd help.

/patienly looking forward to Dragon Age.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Dgaider said:
Dark Matter said:
How can anyone praise the Master from FO for being a deep, complex antagonist with morally ambiguous motives, and then claim Saren is a shallow, generic Bioware badguy who wants simply wants to rule teh galaxy? It's absurd.

Ut! You must not speak against the Fallout.

It is forbidden here.

35%20Wacky%20Hair%20Kevin%20A.jpg

Crichton

Prophet
Wow. Cool beans. If that's the official pricetag everywhere Bioware gets +karma.

I preordered it for US$40, but GoGamer told me that included a $10 discount for pre-ordering. Then I found out about the evil DRM and decided I'll just leave it on the shelf when it gets here until the crack comes out. Then GoGamer told me they didn't have enough for everyone and I'd have to wait. So maybe it'll get here the same time as the crack.

On topic, obviously I bought into the hype enough to pay $40 sight unseen, so I'm probably atypical. I don't play these games for the plot, but the post-NWN bioware "find the four foozles!" plotline does get pretty old. I think it's primarily due to production values eating into the amount of content. (or in the case of NWN, huge dev problems eating into the content)

In BG2 or Aracanum (or Fallout), there is branching (kill lukan, make a deal with him, blow up the other bridge, lie to him), but there's so much else to do that even when things are fairly constrained in terms of main quest options (visit the dark elf city and place nicely or trash the place), it's ok because you can pick the main quest up and leave it as you like and it's not like you're trapped in a locked room with only the MQ.

As an example of how far this can take you, the GTA and TES games have lots of things to do (or at least TES did once) that aren't part of the main quest, so even a completely linear main quest is no problem. (though TES used to have branching and I hear that GTA does now)

I understand that "Add more content, bitch!" isn't a quick fix since "content" (scripting, areas, dialog, artwork, descriptions, blah, blah, blah) is like 75% of the zots and the primary reason why RPGs cost more than other genres. But without enough content, you stare into the depths of Oblivion. You don't want to go there, do you?

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, I left of pick-pocket lukan (maybe you can pick the lock too?) and I think there's some sort of stealth solution to Tsen-Ang. The point stands.

Here come some big motherfuckin 'spoilers from Mass Effect

Dark Matter said:
Saren doesn't wish to lay waste to the entire galaxy, rather he tries to do the exact opposite.

True, however he does have one itsy bitsy little flaw. It is so god damn obvious that The Reapers aren't going to let anybody live. Saren, the brilliant Spectre mastermind is being a huge moron. Now I know "reaper indoctrination" and all that jazz exists, but how come someone close to him didn't give him the same, "Het buddy, reality check!" that Shepard is perfectly capable of doing? Aren't Asari supposed to be pretty strong-willed? He had a whole Asari crew and a Matriarch with him, and if I recall the Matriarch was shown within the confines of the game to be operating of her own free will. Just a little silly. Not story breaking, but enough of a flaw that people might take notice.

How can anyone praise the Master from FO for being a deep, complex antagonist with morally ambiguous motives, and then claim Saren is a shallow, generic Bioware badguy who wants simply wants to rule teh galaxy? It's absurd.

Well, there is a bit of a difference. The Master's situation is more plausible and more consistent with his character. The Master has, what, three personalities, and feels that eliminating old humanity and remaking it anew will allow them to survive better and achieve a unity that will end all wars. He's pretty immobile and relies on lieutenants to convey all of his orders and plans, and it makes sense nobody ever brought the sterility issue up because biotech skills seem pretty rare outside the Vaults or the Brotherhood.

Saren on the other hand, is weird. All throughout the game you *know* this guy is a cruel, sadistic guy who does whatever is necessary for the mission. He also doesn't like authority and comes from a very militaristic race. So for him to suddenly accept the idea of surrender "for the good of everybody", it's a little inconsistent. Maybe the book that came out beforehand explains this or something, but I can't help but feel this was cheap writing by Bioware to set up some sort of revaluation moment like the "a ha I'm Revan" from KOTOR. It seems as though they wrote Saren one way then had him do a 180 for no reason other than "I BET YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THAT!".

In all honesty though, Saren is a pretty decent antagonist. The problems lie in the inconsistency and the slight lack of believability. And it doesn't help that even though Bioware had a perfectly good morally ambiguous antagonist, they just had to have kill bots who want to kill everybody in the galaxy behind him. Ugh...oh well. I guess you take the good with the bad; the being able to have Saren commit suicide through dialogue, instead of fighting him, with the stupid as all hell boss fight they had to put in after him no matter what.

Dgaider said:

It is forbidden here.

You can do better than that...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Well, there is a bit of a difference. The Master's situation is more plausible and more consistent with his character. The Master has, what, three personalities, and feels that eliminating old humanity and remaking it anew will allow them to survive better and achieve a unity that will end all wars. He's pretty immobile and relies on lieutenants to convey all of his orders and plans, and it makes sense nobody ever brought the sterility issue up because biotech skills seem pretty rare outside the Vaults or the Brotherhood."

L0L Fan boy alert! The Master was not plausible. You sound as foolish as those that claim the Master was being a 'good guy'. He wans't trying to save anyone. He was trying to be master of the world. Hell.. Why do you think ge gets his SLAVES to call him master. He doesn't want equals - he wants slaves. And, if he cna't enslave you he slaughters you.

And, the punk had scientists on his side yet it took one or two skill checks for you to figure out his entire scheme was bullshit. Not to mention convincing him to commit suicide. Pathetic.And, if he had multiple personalities they were all basiclaly the same lame 'i am the master of the universe lol'.

Mareus

Magister
Unradscorpion said:
I just had some sort of a Deja Vu, seeing Mareus being flamed for liking Bioware must have caused it somehow.

Yeah, but I have to intervene whenever I see people talking bullshit without any real arguments. It just pisses me off. The logic of Fallout rules, Baldur's Gate sucks just isn't valid. Both games have their share of issues, but both games manage to offer superiour RPG experience overall compared with 99% of other RPGs.

Redeye

Arcane
Lestat said:
What's so great about BG? Boring plot and atrocious combat system?

For someone who went from 80s games to late 90s games it was awesome.

Perspective affects memory and value judgements.

Texas Red

Whiner
Dgaider said:
Dark Matter said:

It is forbidden here.

How many times over would this thread be locked if it would be on the Bioware boards?

Mareus

Magister
Lestat said:

From your point of view I could say the same with more arguments about Arcanum, or Fallout or Gothic but the difference would be that around here I would get my ass nailed on the wall for saying something like that. Still I am going to say it.

Fallout:
A guy not wearing armor at all. Me with a shotgun standing 1 meter away from the guy. I shoot the guy in the eye for NO DAMAGE. I miss, I miss, I miss. I hit the guy for1 damage in the eye again. Great combat, sure. A plot that evolves around getting a Gecko as the only thing that can save the tribe or finding a water chip.

Arcanum:
Stupid Virgil running right into a death trap and I can't even tell him: STOP YOU FUCKING MORON! YOU ARE RUINING MY TACTIC!! A plot that evolves around the evil one returning. Bugs on every step that prevent you from finishing the game.

Don't get me wrong. I love Fallout and Arcanum. They are really masterpieces of RPG's, but that does not make me not see the flaws in the game. How is BG any different? BG plot is really a lot better than anything I have seen so far, except Planescape Torment. You really effect the world around you and as you grow in power you see big changes through the whole saga. Yes, there are not so many choices as in Fallout or Arcanum, but the whole story and evyrthing that BG is more than makes up for it. People that once mocked you later respect you or fear you. It has a really epic feel to it. Damn it, even the NWN2 plot about the shards is one of the subquests in Baldur's Gate. You even go to another planes like in PST.

At least give arguments as to WHY BG plot sucks. Or give me a game who has a better plot and story.

---------SPOILER BELOW---------

The plot is very personal at start of BG1. You want revenge for the death of your foster father and you just want to stay alive because there are mercanary killers after you and there is someone behind it. You get involved into it until you find out your enemy is actually your brother and that you are son of the dead God. You also find out that there are many other such children whose blood will bring the dead God back to life. The story then becomes more complicated with the start of BG2 and jon Irenicus who awakes your dormant powers and steals your soul, so he could live fully again. Irenicus is really a great baddass and his voice acting is superb BTW. The whole saga comes to an end at a really massive scale in Highlander style (there can be only one). The thing is, that in Throne of Bhaal you really feel like an epic hero and no game does this better. The reason why ToB is not as good as BG2 is because it was just an expansion. It is really a pitty they didn't make it as a whole game. Still the whole saga plot kicks ass and if you don't see it I really doubt you have even played the game.

Mareus

Magister
Kingston said:
Oh right, I forgot about the DRM thing. I'm not very hyped for the game so I doubt I'll buy it.

You want revenge for the death of your foster father

Really? The foster father I spent a grand 15 mins with?

I said that from my character's point of view. But even if you play a badass, you can still find enough motives to want to get to Sarevok, because he is sending killers after you.
Besides, if I remember correctly, the beggining of Baldur's Gate explains your relation with your foster father and I think there is even a mod that allows you to start the game as a kid who is being raised in Candlekeep. Furthermore your sarcastic question is beyond my comprehension. I could as well be sarcastic about Arcanum and say:
"Really? Taking the task of finding the boy who is the owner of the ring from a dying gnome who I met just a minute ago?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Lestat said:
Why on earth should I care about some old ugly fuck or annoying little bitch? Why? Because the game says so?

Maybe because you decide to roleplay a caring foster son. If you do, the game's limits are only your imagination!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Gragt said:
Lestat said:
Why on earth should I care about some old ugly fuck or annoying little bitch? Why? Because the game says so?

Maybe because you decide to roleplay a caring foster son. If you do, the game's limits are only your imagination!

no no no - you also have to roleplay a guy who will kill everyone after any, even secondary quest-related dialogue besides the thing above - and then the game's limits are only your imagination!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Just thinking of it, is there a mod removing Aerie from BG2? I certainly hope I'm not the only one who thought of that.

Texas Red

Whiner
Gragt said:
Just thinking of it, is there a mod removing Aerie from BG2? I certainly hope I'm not the only one who thought of that.

I like Aerie far more than that dominatrix Jaheira.

EDIT: Good look at pleasing Viconia. As a priestess matriatch, she has been gangbanged by specially bred drow hunks with monster cocks before you.

Mareus

Magister
skyway said:
Gragt said:
Lestat said:

no no no - you also have to roleplay a guy who will kill everyone after any, even secondary quest-related dialogue besides the thing above - and then the game's limits are only your imagination!

Partly true, but it doesn't make the game bad.

Warden

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
Dgaider said:
Dark Matter said:

It is forbidden here.

How many times over would this thread be locked if it would be on the Bioware boards?

Let me count... about 125 times. :lol:

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Warden said:
Let me count... over 9000 times. :lol:
Fix'd. :)

~~~

On the subject of Mass Effect PC, I would only purchase it if Bioware released the tools for me to create an intergalactic strip club planet.

Other than ZOMG HARDER MINIGAMES and BIGBROTHER 3000 DRM, the PC version doesn't look like it will be any different from the Xbox version, which I enjoyed.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Dark Individual said:
Dgaider said:
Dark Matter said:

It is forbidden here.

enough times to create a wormhole inside a wormhole

DefJam101

Arcane
Mareus said:
Lestat said:
Fallout:
A guy not wearing armor at all. Me with a shotgun standing 1 meter away from the guy. I shoot the guy in the eye for NO DAMAGE. I miss, I miss, I miss. I hit the guy for1 damage in the eye again. Great combat, sure.

Well, turn based combat is all symbolic, the fact that Fallout has detailed blood & gore doesn't change that. It is still "representing" someone being brutally murdered. That's why apparent gameplay 'flaws' like this (while still a bit strange) can be rationalized.

Ex.:
CHARACTER: I have never fired a shotgun in my life; my shotgun skill is 1%. I've never fought anyone ever before. I'm scared as hell, and I'm so weak that the shotgun will break my arm if I pull the trigger.

I decide I want to aim for this guy's eye. I'm a piss poor shot, and my arms are shaking so bad that I completely miss. I keep spinning around like an idiot frantically trying to hit this guy while he hops back and forth and taunting me. The gun is too heavy for me to handle, and every time I pull the trigger my arm hurts more and more. I can't think straight and keep missing him completely even though he is so close. I eventually score a "hit"... one little pellet barely scrapes the side of his head, causing him minor pain and very light bleeding. Voila, a 1 damage close-range shotgun hit.

It is also important to note that the two characters engaged in combat are not actually standing in one place like the graphics show you; they are probably leaning back and forth behind cover, dodging, jumping, or circling each other.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom