Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2: Storm of Zehir at E3

Warden

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
On a personal level I agree with you - but from a whole picutre, game design point of view, getting one shotted from an orc with a great axe, all while learning the system (all too frequent for some DnD classes) can be a real turn off to a game.

You don't have to do anything lethal to reach the 3rd lvl. For example Volo asks you to find his precious book he lost in the wreckage.. and bum! when you give it to him you get 3000 xp. :p (I simplified it a bit..)

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Ah, but that's not from the actual beginning either, as it raises even more questions. Where did your mage study his Magic Missile spell? When did the fighter learn to use a sword? How did the spermatozoon fecundate an ovule?
I hate it when RPGs give me free experience?

Lets not peretend to be more stupid than we are, ok Lumpy?
Level 1 exists for a reason (with some spells already available if you're a mage).

Lumpy

Arcane
You don't have to do anything lethal to reach the 3rd lvl. For example Volo asks you to find his precious book he lost in the wreckage.. and bum! when you give it to him you get 3000 xp. :p (I simplified it a bit..)

That's something I'd expect from a Bioware game.

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:

Oh please.. just go away.. GO AWAY! :x

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm anticipating this game, but I'd still prefer if Obsidian made a MotB-like RPG instead of an old-school dungeon crawler. For that we have Bioware and as far as dungeon-crawlers go I think DA will be better than this due to the lack of sickening NWN2 combat.

But only time will tell, I guess.

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Warden said:
Lets not peretend to be more stupid than we are, ok Lumpy?
Oh, by all means, don't let me stand in your way.

I don't understand this.. Can you discuss normally without trying to be some smartass sarcastic internet user? I'm actually liking the conversation with the developer so don't ruin it. You know I can be displeasant.

Lumpy

Arcane
Warden said:
Lumpy said:

Oh please.. just go away.. GO AWAY! :x
Funny how for a guy who supposedly hates Bioware, you worship their design ideas. How... hypocritical of you.

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Funny how for a guy who supposedly hates Bioware, you worship their design ideas. How... hypocritical of you.

Go get help and restore your memory. BG started at level 1. NWN1 started at lvl 1. SoU started at lvl 1. NWN2 started at lvl 3.

Lumpy

Arcane
'Let's leave nothing to the player's imagination, and illustrate everything up front.'
Is it that hard to imagine that the 4 party members did something before joining together and leaving on their adventure?

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
'Let's leave nothing to the player's imagination, and illustrate everything up front.'
Is it that hard to imagine that the 4 party members did something before joining together and leaving on their adventure?

No, it's not.
But can you understand, ***** (I don't know how else to call you at this point), that some people prefer not to imagine it and do it for real?

Lumpy

Arcane
Warden said:
Lumpy said:

No, it's not.
But can you understand, ***** (I don't know how else to call you at this point), that some people prefer not to imagine it and do it for real?
Right... so gaining 3000 XP by finding a book and doing other such meaningless tasks makes a lot more sense.

Warden

Arbiter
Lumpy said:
Right... so gaining 3000 XP by finding a book and doing other such meaningless tasks makes a lot more sense.

It makes sense. XP is arbitrary anyway. Getting lots and lots of xp fighting hordes of goblins who have 1/3 of your HP, AB and damage makes more sense? I don't think so.
After all.. like you said, is it that hard to IMAGINE that this book was worth a lot? :wink:

Lets drop it. This is boring.

The interior temple tileset looks great (the yuan-ti screen). I love it!

Murk

Arcane
what the fuck are you guys even arguing about?

To Anthony Davis - thank you for your answers, the game looks to be shaping up greatly and I look forward to it.

I really hope there's some x-pack bundle with both expansions though, that'd rule.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mikayel said:
I really hope there's some x-pack bundle with both expansions though, that'd rule.

I assume the NWN2 Platinum edition will have that (when/if they release that, like they did with NWN1).

Raapys

Arcane
Any word on the level one will reach while playing though? As I like playing spell-casters, it's always disappointing when D&D games start at level 1 and doesn't last long enough to give you 9'th level spells( and some time to actually use them ).

That's one of the best things about Baldur's Gate 2, and one of the things that really sucked about Baldur's Gate 1.

Zomg

Arbiter
Fucking bummer, Icewind Dale 3. Infinity/Aurora games with all redeeming features assiduously boiled off.

Murk

Arcane
they said its expected to be level 3-15 so most likely you'll cap out at caster level 8 (possibly 9 if you grind a bit?)

Murk

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Mikayel said:

I assume the NWN2 Platinum edition will have that (when/if they release that, like they did with NWN1).

yeh no doubt, i havn't played MotB but want to, when i heard this announced i held of figuring they'd release a bundle of some sort

though now i'm thinking i should just fuggin' buy the expansion and play it

deuxhero

Arcane
Ughh new death sytem

Before you revamp the death system, you need to improve the AI that is so suicidal (you know, wizards who charge into melee and that kind of crap) that such a system would be frustrating rather then a fun challange

I would be all for perma death if we had a TB system where it would be the players fault, but with a horribley inexact RTWP where all but one character at a time is governed by suicidal AI, permadeath (or even "you have to get the dead guy resssurected") would not be fun in any way.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Here's the silly thing about complaining about starting at level 3:

Your party is a party of adventurers/fortune and glory seekers. Is it not at least plausible that you could write a little biography for them that describes their previous exploits and how they met?

Or, better yet, why not have them run through a user-made low-level module? Something that's an hour or two long, something that they an each run through as if they are from the same town. Or create your own module with one of your party members as the PC and 3 of them as NPC's and have a little go at it. I mean, it's not going to be a huge deal if you start off with a level 4/5 character or say a level-adjusted character that made it to level 3 rather than only 1 or 2. This especially wouldn't be game-breaking if you tried to make a more interesting but sub-optimal party, and given the open-ended nature of the game it would simply save some grinding later on.

Certainly no more game-breaking than having a level 20 character from the OC (even a level-adjusted character that reached level 20, anyway) imported into MotB when MotB will only let you level up to 18 when you start a new character.

It's XP that those characters earned, somehow. I think it's a nice touch to let you write a little biography and have a team motto and such. I can't imagine not being able to come up with a few lines that describe how you gained a measly 3000 XP before setting off on your journey.

Heck, all kinds of modules have a starting level higher than one. Are you going to ask Ossian Studios to give you a tutorial to get you up to level 8 so that you can start Mysteries of Westgate?

Warden

Arbiter
themadhatter114 said:
Are you going to ask Ossian Studios to give you a tutorial to get you up to level 8 so that you can start Mysteries of Westgate?

I won't ask them anything. I won't play it.
I don't like games situated only in a city. I don't like rpg games which make you start with a high-level character. I don't purchase on the internet.

As for SoZ I'll use a cheat command to delevel myself to level 1. givexp -3000.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom