Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2: Storm of Zehir at E3

MetalCraze

Arcane
3 lvl char is apparently a high lvl char :roll:

Shoelip

Arbiter
Warden what the fuck is the big deal? You can't do shit at level 1 in D&D anyway. Most PnP D&D games start above it just because level one characters are really not that much fun. Hell that's one of the major reasons for all the super powers in 4E.

MetalCraze

Arcane
@Warden: no you were bitching about lvl3 like it is a big deal. I don't quite understand what's the real difference except that lvl1 char has nothing interesting and you will have to get more xp to make it interesting anyway (whereas lvl3 char like mage will already have at least some variety of spells)? And it's not like you will spend even a hour getting to the lvl3 in this game.

Lumpy

Arcane
Apparently level 1 is the ideal starting point for a character, even though it is an arbitrary point during a character's development.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Solohk said:
Wow, Warden is like our own Merilinda. But crazy about levels rather than gender.

Merilinda isn't just crazy about gender. She's just plain crazy. I've never seen her form a coherent thought.

deuxhero

Arcane
Lumpy said:
Apparently level 1 is the ideal starting point for a character, even though it is an arbitrary point during a character's development.

It is also the ideal level for one bad roll to kill your character, the ideal level for a spellcaster to suck and the ideal level for the classes to be more or less the same.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Overland map looks pretty good, screens and video had a nice "jungle" feel to them. Here's to hoping it won't suck.

Murk

Arcane
yes, yes, yessss the console rpg style overland map is a very nice addition. while usually enver developed past a secret spot or 2, overland maps like that leave PLENTY of room for exploration and side-questy non-linear adventure.

here's to hoping for modders to go nuts adding random dungeons for it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
What I am hoping for, is that a person could do a complete Ultima 1/2/3 remake in NWN2, as the map functions/look the same.

aboyd

Liturgist
Wow, now that would be a module(s) that I'd download. I'd love to see the Ultimas redone like that.

Murk

Arcane
wasn't there some major ultima remake being done in NWN 1 ?

I know there was one in Dungeon Siege but... yeah for some reason i just don't think that'd work out all that well

Pseudofool

Scholar
Can a person be triple dumbfucked? I'm pretty sure Warden's inane questions/complaints drove the Dev away from actually answering our questions.

The overland map looks like a lot of fun; much more than I anticipated. Let's hope modders can use it well.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
I just went back and read this whole thread. Jesus Christ...

Warden, I just have to give you props for managing to be the dumbest person I've met on the internet yet. I don't know where you guys keep coming from, but this internet thing always seems to top itself on that front. It's like an expotential curve of retardation.

That being said, I'm very glad to know that you've found a place where people can take care of you and feed you.

Texas Red

Whiner
I don't know about you guys but this expansions pack is a little too extreme for me.

Murk

Arcane
wattafuck a t-dub (sorry Helton, i'm stealing it) post immediately after kaiserin that isn't something creepy?

decline of------

..hehe... heh...heheh... >;(

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Warden said:
themadhatter114 said:
Are you going to ask Ossian Studios to give you a tutorial to get you up to level 8 so that you can start Mysteries of Westgate?

I won't ask them anything. I won't play it.
I don't like games situated only in a city. I don't like rpg games which make you start with a high-level character. I don't purchase on the internet.

As for SoZ I'll use a cheat command to delevel myself to level 1. givexp -3000.

Yeah, I just hate modules that give me an opportunity to predefine my character by perhaps playing another module or writing a backstory. Maybe Obsidian will give you some sample backstories to select so you can know how your character gained 3000 XP without going through the effort of having to write a couple sentences yourself.

Did you refuse to create new characters for MotB and only play characters that earned their levels in the OC? I mean, it's not enough for them to just tell you that you gained all that XP fighting the King of Shadows.

Actually, I'm sort of one of those people. I didn't take any fresh characters through MotB except for one speed run. I usually like to earn all my levels myself. But I typically choose to do so through playing different modules, and don't care enough about it to whine on a message board.

Murk

Arcane
I for one am 300000000% for starting at level three with no explanation what-so-ever other than "first two levels in d&d are crap". I don't even get why people think you NEED to start at level 1 or whatever.

If its that big a deal for you guys then use console commands to modify your level.

Pseudofool

Scholar
Mikayel said:
I for one am 300000000% for starting at level three with no explanation what-so-ever other than "first two levels in d&d are crap". I don't even get why people think you NEED to start at level 1 or whatever.

If its that big a deal for you guys then use console commands to modify your level.
Why doesn't D&D power up Level 1 more and make the incremental power increases between levels smaller. Wouldn't that make the most sense.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Pseudofool said:
Mikayel said:

Why doesn't D&D power up Level 1 more and make the incremental power increases between levels smaller. Wouldn't that make the most sense.

They did. 4E.

Murk

Arcane
Jasede said:
Err... these are six words.

wat

@shoelip/pseudofool - yes.

In all fairness i don't care if the game starts at level 1 or 3 or what have you, so long as its properly balanced i'm happy. it's just that at level one good combat encounters are rare. proper enemies will kill you too easily and you're forced to mow down hordes and do fedex quests to get to 3 so you can finally take on a pack of hobgoblins or a giant frog and bugbear duo. the initial stages of the game are dependent not on how good of a character you built but how well you ROLL the dice, which is beyond retarded. It's like running a random number generator before the game begins and if it lands below a "DC: will the game start?" check then you have to re-roll your party because random chance just fucked you in the urethra.

take ToEE for instance, which had the most precise combat engine - you still had to do retarded fetch and carry quests to stand a chance against the giant frogs, otherwise you'd be resting inbetween EACH fight and that's with a full party, nevermind if you don't kill it before it swallows one of your characters - and god help you if that char was your fighter 'cuz now you're super fucked.

by the range of level 3-4 you have SOME spells and your character skills/abilities are coming in which let you actually matter in combat.

aboyd

Liturgist
I always thought it was odd that we put level 1 characters out into quests on their own. We don't do that in real life. In any modern job, you partner as an apprentice. Even if they don't call a beginner an apprentice, that beginner still ends up with some senior dude doing introductory work.

Why don't level 1 characters spend their first few missions doing backup for a level 3 or level 4 leader? The leader tanks while the rest provide support from cover. Or perhaps rogues do simple recon missions that wouldn't involve lots of combat but plenty of infiltration. Spellcasters would do rituals and curses and buffs from afar. Etcetera.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom