Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 2 - Confirmed Codex GOTY 2012

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have really high hopes for this game, yarr.

Johnny the Mule

Educated
oh look
apparently i am an IDIOT and a TROLL (of all things) who wants TO DISCUSS!!!
SOMETHING with FAGGOTS who could not hold me a candle in a counting-to-10 match
pfffffrt :lol:

I'm only reminding people of the FACT that RISEN is a BROKEN BORING POS so that MASSIVE BUTTHURT FAGGOTS like JEASUN know that THEY AINT ALONE

thanks for quoting me though :oops:

oldmansavage

Educated
I have admittedly never played Risen due to it looking like some kind of Two Worlds action game. I see it getting a lot of praise from the codex, which is incredibly rare. What makes the franchise so good? At first glance at the video I didn't see anything noteworthy.

Phelot

Arcane
oldmansavage said:
I have admittedly never played Risen due to it looking like some kind of Two Worlds action game. I see it getting a lot of praise from the codex, which is incredibly rare. What makes the franchise so good? At first glance at the video I didn't see anything noteworthy.

It's a fun aRPG with rewarding exploration, decent combat (though that point is contentious) and some nice C&C.

oldmansavage

Educated
the above said:
oldmansavage said:

It's a fun aRPG with rewarding exploration, decent combat (though that point is contentious) and some nice C&C.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Kraszu

Prophet
Johnny the Mule said:
oh look
apparently i am an IDIOT and a TROLL (of all things) who wants TO DISCUSS!!!
SOMETHING with FAGGOTS who could not hold me a candle in a counting-to-10 match
pfffffrt :lol:

I'm only reminding people of the FACT that RISEN is a BROKEN BORING POS so that MASSIVE BUTTHURT FAGGOTS like JEASUN know that THEY AINT ALONE

thanks for quoting me though :oops:

No the problem is that your criticism was bs, first of all not every attack can be blocked, secondly there is often no chokes near where you are fighting, and even if you bloke at choke then you still have to find correct timing to attack, you must react fast to what enemy is doing as they use various attack patterns. You also have no shield when you use staff.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Will the blacks cut off the white's head as sacrifice or are they the meek kind of tribe like Avatar?

Vival

Augur
RK47 said:
Will the blacks cut off the white's head as sacrifice or are they the meek kind of tribe like Avatar?

The plantation slaves at least are wielding big ass machetes. There might still be hope.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
I hate the game, but I'm in a very small minority, so you should check the review. Roxor is a pretty good reviewer and the review pretty much agrees with the "hivemind".

Is it unsalvageable in your mind or are there things that can be changed to make Risen 2 worth your time?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
As I have said before, "hiking" games rarely interest me. The two main reasons are 1) bad action combat that, at best, consist of sequence-strikes in real time and 2) extremely shallow character customization/system.

Risen has both in abundance, though admittedly it fails the most in the second department. But these are opinions I have voiced to great extend in other threads.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Risen 2 Collector's Edition announced and System Requirements revealed.

Minimale Anforderungen:
  • Betriebssystem: Windows XP (mit Servicepack 2)
  • Prozessor: Dual Core mit 2,1 GHz
  • Speicher: 2 GB System-RAM, 5,5 GB freier Festplattenplatz
  • Grafikkarte: 512 MB Radeon 3870 / GeForce 8800 GTX
  • DirectX: DirectX 9.1c
  • Soundkarte: DirectX-kompatible Soundkarte
  • Tastatur/Maus oder Gamepad erforderlich
  • Internetverbindung zur Online-Aktivierung
Empfohlene Anforderungen:
  • Betriebssystem: Windows XP (mit Servicepack 3), Windows Vista (mit Servicepack 1), Windows 7
  • Prozessor: Dual Core mit 3 GHz
  • Speicher: 4 GB System-RAM, 5,5 GB freier Festplattenplatz
  • Grafikkarte: 1024 MB Radeon 4890 / GeForce GTX 260
  • DirectX: DirectX 9.1c
  • Soundkarte: DirectX-kompatible Soundkarte
  • Tastatur/Maus oder Gamepad erforderlich
  • Internetverbindung zur Online-Aktivierung

Murk

Arcane
I do not meet minimums. Fuck.

Risen 1's minimums were also higher, but the game ran perfectly with max stats none the less. Alas, I fear this shall not be the case. Looks like I need a new gaming rig (and maybe, at long last, I can get Witcher 2 to actually fucking work).

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
:(

I hoped that cross-platform development would let me keep playing games on this shitty old computer for a few years longer.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
That's right, letters from the third world. Suck it up.

I might be able to get it to run--I've done it in the past--but not all games play nice. Can't run The Witcher (2007), but I have no problems with Risen (2009).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But the Codex will just pirate it instead like with KoA and then complain later why not more of these games are getting made these days.

Yeah well it's kinda their own fault for making Steam registration mandatory for boxed copies you buy in retail.

Who the fuck started that trend, anyway. It's one of the worst ideas ever. When I buy a game I don't want it to be tied to an online account. Fucking :decline:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
But the Codex will just pirate it instead like with KoA and then complain later why not more of these games are getting made these days.

Yeah well it's kinda their own fault for making Steam registration mandatory for boxed copies you buy in retail.

Simple solution: buy it on Steam/elsewhere. Play the torrent that doesn't require Steam. Of course, that solution only works if one's only real objection is Steamworks...

Or hey, if you don't want to give Valve/Deep Silver any of your money just mail $40 cash to PB.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

If I pirated a game (but I don't, because I'm a derp citizen), I would do it exclusively to piss off little shits like you. I would even complain about me pirating it, because you're forcing me to piss you off. You're like a girl with indecent clothes that's asking to be raped, it's really not my fault

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom