Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Risen gone and got reviewed

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
1-webbig.jpg

Micmu

Magister
Don't bitch too much about bloom. In the future, no expensive graphics cards will be needed to render a plain white screen...

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Heh, false alarm. I just launched the game to see if the bloom is really that bad and it turns out this screenshot shows lightning during the storm, not the sun.

This is how it looks normally:

risen-webbig.jpg

But i have yet to see sunny weather in the game, there is no guarantee that it won't be as bad. :wink:

Nedrah

Erudite
Hey, look, everybody got worked up about nothing concerning that bloom. So, with that out of the way - any actual gameplay impressions, hamster?

phanboy_iv said:
Dark Individual said:
made said:
German reviews don't sound too promising so far. Boring story, faction choice that ultimately makes no difference, characters styled in the vein of Columbian drug lords - I can already imagine the forced lulz they undoubtedly crammed in there.

Aren't you describing the previous Gothic there? Gothic games weren't much about the story or interesting factions.

What were they about then?
As my dear country man once wrote (until his untimely assassination by the forces of fate):

Here's the deal. NotR is a travel game. It's not an exploration game, it's not even close to a combat game. It's a travel game. Does any sane courier look for monsters to kill while traveling and performing his duties (delivering messages etc)? No? So why would you? Gothic created a new genre. Many people are, as always, too rigid (i.e. dumb, basically dead) to appreciate new things. The travel game.

Texas Red

Whiner
Has the char system improved or is the same as in previous games? Are the more skills or do classes matter more?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, I thought there was something iffy about those screenshots too, 'cause even the various gameplay vids weren't oozing with bloom so much, but they were hilarious nonetheless.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Prologue was pretty cool. You get shipwrecked with some chick on an unknown island, no explanations of who you are, where were you sailing or your relations with the girl. You have to gather stuff from the remains of the ship and bodies of not so lucky passangers, make a weapon by tearing a branch from nearby tree, etc. The goal in prologue is to explore the shore, find a shelter and cook some food. Immersive and much better than nextgen crap in Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

Exploration is as fun as in previous Gothic games, environment is interesting and good looking.

Combat is similiar to G3, but without dreadfull stunlock. Starting mobs can still kill you if you are not carefull enough. Animation is worse than G3 and possible G1-2 (i don't really remember, played them a long time ago. )

Overall, i am hooked, beginning is very promising.

Trash said:
Saw the xbox 360 version of Risen in several shops already.

"Where is the map"

"Y no qst compass?"

"Hey, I killed this guy and he stayed dead. How do I finish this quest?"

"Horrible game, there are no mudcrabs at all!"

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
risen2009092823191498.jpg

Cool mountains over there.

I still wonder if I should buy this on release or 'demo' it first, blehanfeh.

COMRADE HAMSTER, THE CENTRAL COMMITTEE NEEDS MORE IMPRESSIONS

Pegultagol

Erudite
I am tempted to try this game. The environments look gorgeous. How are things on the review front in Europe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom