Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Banner Saga: Factions is out

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Chat works sluggishly for me and I feel as though the game delays responses, but otherwise it's pretty fluid.

Just won against Grunker, where's your Odin now :smug:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
conversation_01_950x534.jpg

the deepest and most profound dialogue of 2013

That's a decidedly uncommon and un-viking name. They named demo reel girl after my 11-year old cat? What is this sorcery? :?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Got started, played my first game just fine (crushed the poor guy, had 3 archers standing at the end, only one had even been hit and only one) and then the second game disconnects before I can place units and just hangs there forever.

Liking the combat mechanics though.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Archers and warriors wipe the floor with enemies if they stand untouched, archers being especially deadly at endgame.
There were serious connection problems yesterday, my two matches were just stopped after one or two movement and stayed like that... We chat a little and then surrendered/quited game. I think they were not ready for such server crashes :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The combat mechanic and the system itself is fucking sweet. I promoted a guy to a backbiter 'cause they seemed bad, but I wanted to test things out early. They are awesome! Positioning and insane damage. Being able to chip off 2 armor before the attack on health is insane.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
I love reducing an archers armor who is behind enemy lines, and then slicing her with my Backbiter!
I feel abit ashamed because i named mine Entreri :D

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
i named mine Entreri :D

Heh.

Yeah, usually opponents are smart enough to keep archers a bit out of reach, but then you just use Backbiter on a Varl to get to the back lines. First chance I get I think I will get another Backbiter to see if running two is viable.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Although two backbiters work well together (4-8 guaranteed armor damage with good HP damage+screwing oppenents line), i mainly use biters with trashers. Trashers can move longer distances quickly with some willpower and can kill a badly placed archer easily. Most of the players get frustared and focus on him(trashers are usefull even on low HP, they have good armor break and trash)
Then my biters and warriors get in to pick easy targets mostly :D Its funny to see even some experienced players tend to ignore Warmasters and Warhawks in such situations. Its even funnier to watch them butcher oppositon so easy :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've actually considered Two Archers + Two Backbiters + One Trasher + One Shieldbanger.

It's that turn one backbiter into a shieldbanger, and I play so offensively right now I'm not sure that's a beneficial idea.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Got to play some more games to day, I'm 6 for 6 now (though I don't think the game recorded my last one, which is a shame since it was a flawless victory, poor noob didn't stand a chance, I'd have probably gotten over 20 renown.)

Just got my first promoted unit (didn't use the thrasher you start with after the tutorial, seems like an awful unit.) Haven't used him to proper effect yet, I keep bungling his positioning. But 16 str on a double hit will be insanely OP I'm sure.

The archers with bonus range seem extremely promising as well. Probably going to run 3 of them, 2 big greatsword guys, and dunno who else.

I also considered making a team of just 6 raiders. Their base stats are quite good and the armor synergy should be quite effective with so many I'd expect.

Also it seems like most people don't understand the basic strategy of the game very well an try to focus down one unit at a time. I have a very easy time winning most fights by just going straight for efficient STR damage spread across their whole team ASAP. By the time they've killed a guy or two and I'm almost in danger of being pillaged, they're down to 3-4 str on every unit and can't actually land attacks on anyone with armor left, or do enough damage to kill people with no armor. Then I just mop up with the one or two relatively uninjured guys I have left.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Yeah spreading STR damage amongst and getting rid of archers early is a sure way to quick victory. Warriors and trashers/backbiters can give good STR damage even from the start.

I also tried to play as a controller yesterday. A provoker with a Sky Striker really frustrates oppenents :) Especially when i use Malice on an enemy archer, they just lose their turn. :D

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
So this game got me interested for sure.

I stayed away because of the Bioware guys but due to the f2p I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

Hopefully the story parts are good but who knows

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom