Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye The Dark Eye: Demonicon

ColCol

Arcane
Wait, it this coming out soon? There was a recent game-play trailer with a lot of problems, but the developer kept spouting out the phrase "still in development".

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
InnerPartisan
At least we have RoA/DSA 1-3 which burn brightly with the spirit of that age.
It's a game set in the Shadowlands, so it's supposed to be 'grimdark'. Nordland trilogie takes place only 5 years before the return of Borbarad.

428px-RS_BE.jpg

Ebonsword

Arcane
Man, it looks like a game from 2008, not 2013.

And Deus Ex looks like a game from 1999 not 2013, but is still better than anything released this year. What's your point?

Well, for one thing, they're not expecting me to pay $50 for Deus Ex.

For another, I'm not that much of a graphics whore when it comes to turn-based games, but the whole reason I play ARPGs is for the extra immersion that (can) come with them. And that immersion is seriously impaired by subpar graphics.

Athelas

Arcane
but the whole reason I play ARPGs is for the extra immersion that (can) come with them. And that immersion is seriously impaired by subpar graphics.
You disgust me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And that immersion is seriously impaired by subpar graphics.

Graphics can of course aid in immersing yourself in the game world, but much more important than technical advancement is proper world design, quest design, mood, setting, tone, etc. Deus Ex is a much more immersive game than almost any modern action RPG because it excels in these areas.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And that immersion is seriously impaired by subpar graphics.

Graphics can of course aid in immersing yourself in the game world, but much more important than technical advancement is proper world design, quest design, mood, setting, tone, etc. Deus Ex is a much more immersive game than almost any modern action RPG because it excels in these areas.

Gritty realism doesn't work very well unless both the graphics engine and art direction back it up. I'm not sure that is the case here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
View Demonicon Gameplay Stream Online Now
Noumena Studios hosted a special Twitch TV live stream of Demonicon last Tuesday where they presented an in depth look at the game - showing off some of the new locations, looking at the combat and magic system, the character customisation and lots of general gameplay.

For a limited time, the stream is available to view online here: http://www.twitch.tv/kalypsomedia/b/468489083

Password: kalyps0med1a.

FLIRT
BEEF

Shovelware status: confirmed beyond all doubt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Roguey What you should really be asking yourself is whether the protagonists are a ripoff of Isair and Madae.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Looks more graphically impressive and polished than I expected, but didn't really see much beyond that.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh Codex, debating the grafixxx again. Never change people. We all know graphics are the most important part of any game ever and to say otherwise is blasphemy.

On a side, unrelated note, how do you think the gameplay is going to be?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
True, if they aim to copy the Witchers combat system in a arpg then it may be so. Hopefully they wont.
It has more in common with Witcher 2 than 1, only much worse when it comes to feedback.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
True, if they aim to copy the Witchers combat system in a arpg then it may be so. Hopefully they wont.
It has more in common with Witcher 2 than 1, only much worse when it comes to feedback.

I liked TW2 combat even less than TW1. In the books Geralts fighting style was more like a dancer/jedi not about rolling around and abusing signs. If it was more like Jedi academy (Geralt could deflect even two crossbow bolts at once so it is quite accurate description) I could like it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Witcher's combat was awful, like one long QTE. Click when the sword is red, whoop-de-doo.

Witcher 2's combat was far from perfect, too much rolling and sign abuse, but at least it had some gameplay to it.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You could use parry instead of rolling in TW2; it is not lore friendly* and it is harder but as added bonus you can laugh at supposedly :obviously: KKKodexers who has chosen the easy way and blame game for it.

*Don't give a damn about it in RPG; Its mine not Sapkowski's Geralt and I play it as I want him.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Parrying is limited by stamina bar though, you can only deflect 2 or 3 blows before it's gone. Also you still get hurt quite a lot, at least in vanilla. Only way to really excel at the combat in TW2 is to roll like a motherfucker.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Glorious roll playing. :outrage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom