Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye The Dark Eye: Demonicon

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The Codex ability to scrape the bottom of the barrel and convince themselves that what they find there is even somewhat acceptable is amazing.
In what other rpg can protagonist plow his sister, duh, and the whole plot is pretty much about it?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Marge-Simpson.jpeg

I know that Drakensang is held in high esteem in certain circles, but it didn't click for me.
No wonder, it's sort of user-unfriendly at the beginning. And some mechanics are nothing short of infuriating. One for all - you can have one char sneaking around while others are waiting. To your dismall suprise, at some unfathomed point, the waiting characters start running (at 10x speed) towards your sneaking character, and bam, HENLO ENEMEES, WE ARE HIS MATES thing is going on suddenly.

But once you get around some misunderstandings, it's a wonderful RPG. Atmospheric - it actually makes you care about the world, with various builds even within one class, quests can be done in various ways, leveling has a good impact, magical weapons are hard to come by - very appreciated moments of reward. Searching / paying attention is rewarded in different quest outcomes or treasures...
It's user-friendliness is comparable to other rpgs of that era, its fine when you get used to the somewhay weird stat system and engine peculiarities.
Yet I personally found it too bland for my tastes - world, plot, characters and quests are all as generic as it gets.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

I know that Drakensang is held in high esteem in certain circles, but it didn't click for me.
No wonder, it's sort of user-unfriendly at the beginning. And some mechanics are nothing short of infuriating. One for all - you can have one char sneaking around while others are waiting. To your dismall suprise, at some unfathomed point, the waiting characters start running (at 10x speed) towards your sneaking character, and bam, HENLO ENEMEES, WE ARE HIS MATES thing is going on suddenly.

But once you get around some misunderstandings, it's a wonderful RPG. Atmospheric - it actually makes you care about the world, with various builds even within one class, quests can be done in various ways, leveling has a good impact, magical weapons are hard to come by - very appreciated moments of reward. Searching / paying attention is rewarded in different quest outcomes or treasures...
It's user-friendliness is comparable to other rpgs of that era, its fine when you get used to the somewhay weird stat system and engine peculiarities.
Yet I personally found it too bland for my tastes - world, plot, characters and quests are all as generic as it gets.
I've actually talked about River of Dreams (Drakensang 2). I haven't played the first tale that much. Maybe hence a misunderstanding? Dunno much...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom