Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye The Dark Eye: Demonicon

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Today's session: There's a fair amount of C&C to solve quests, but at the same time, the game absolutely railroads you if it has to to advance the story in a way the designers want. E.g. you can

insist all you want that your sister gets married, in the end you have to rage at the future hasubando without a good reason and even "freak" out when you read the wedding announcemet.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The game makes good use of various skills but on the other hand is way too generous with xp. It's very easy to get 21 in multiple attributes before the end of the game, which is absurd from a Dark Eye p&p mindset. On the other hand considering the game's story it makes sense that your character becomes so powerful so quickly.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Sometimes it feels that their are shilling their "we made a game with C&C" a bit too much". "Now decide", "This is an important decision", "I can't decide, please decide for me", "You gave to decide". Yeah I get it that it's a decision if there are two mutually exclusive options.

But rather unexpectedly, I enjoy the game more than the borefest Drakensang was for me.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sometimes it feels that their are shilling their "we made a game with C&C" a bit too much". "Now decide", "This is an important decision", "I can't decide, please decide for me", "You gave to decide". Yeah I get it that it's a decision if there are two mutually exclusive options.

But rather unexpectedly, I enjoy the game more than the borefest Drakensang was for me.

Marge-Simpson.jpeg

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Sounds like Fable, which was pretty funny since the C&C in that game was really lame and superficial.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got it on Steam and started playing it. So far it seems quite decent. And clearly inspired on The Witcher.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Decent enough game, but feels somewhat more like action game than RPG because there's just too much combat. At least combat isn't bad, it's alright - it would even be decent as the mechanics are fine for hack'n slasher, but spawning enemies all around you and the inability to run from fight (game makes invisible walls around combat encounter) makes it annoying sometimes.

The atmosphere is rather dark, but not really gloomy and sinister. Dialogues are fine, not really as boring as in many modern RPGs, but it doesn't shine in any manner either. There are choices, but not as many consequences, mostly just some short movie depicts consequences of your choices, but there aren't many in-game consequences. Unfortunately the game is very railroaded - not only no open world, but there aren't much to do besides the main storyline and the few side quests are mostly just fetch quests.

If you're into some mix of a hack'n slash and RPG it's an alright game, I'd recommend getting it on some sale. It's quite fun and there isn't actually much grinding, which puts it above many other hack'n slashes in my view.

Overall, the game feels like a wanna-be-The Witcher with a limited budget.

You can incest your sis, 10/10 GOTY.

vazha

Arcane
Finished it yesterday. Excellent atmosphere & worldbuilding, above average story & characters, standard popamole combat. Overall quite enjoyable in an ELEX way.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Finished it today after a little less than 20 hours of actual game-play. Its hard to describe because it really didn't do anything well except for your sisters boobs but I more or less enjoyed it. For the first couple of chapters I just pumped up the exploration skills which helped with the repeated running around the same areas because you would "discover" new chests/information with each level of perception/lore and could open chests/disarm traps each increase of those skills.

Anyway IceBolt4 + Mortal Blow pretty much wiped out everything.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
it really didn't do anything well except for your sisters boobs
The setting and story were not terrible. I kind of expected the same boring generic fantasy from RoA and Drakensang, and the grimdark sexualized vibe was somewhat refreshing.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Started playing it today.

Not bad. Reminds me a lot of action rpgs made by Spiders. Especially the older ones, when they had smaller budget, but already big dreams.

The atmosphere is well creafted, the combat is fun, there are some choices that seem to have consequences for the main storyline. I guess I'll stick with it for some time. And who knows, maybe until the end. Heard it's not really a long game.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Started playing it today.

Not bad. Reminds me a lot of action rpgs made by Spiders. Especially the older ones, when they had smaller budget, but already big dreams.

The atmosphere is well creafted, the combat is fun, there are some choices that seem to have consequences for the main storyline. I guess I'll stick with it for some time. And who knows, maybe until the end. Heard it's not really a long game.

Well crafted, choices and consequences, right.
If I remember correctly, in a dungeon early on, you get to chose between saving lives of some peasants and killing a cannibal who trapped them.
If you choose to kill the beast and end the threat once and for all, you get a reputation (reputation, not karma) loss.
And somehow in the next town everyone and their dog start accusing you for letting people die.
How the hell did they know what happened in those desolate caverns?

V_K

Arcane
Yes, that choice always springs to mind as an example of why the whole "mechanic" is extremely contrived and artificial. You can't try to cheat the fucker, you can't try to hunt him down again after letting him go, you can't try to investigate and find the abducted folks on your own - for no good reason at all other than it wouldn't be a tuff moral choice then.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, that choice always springs to mind as an example of why the whole "mechanic" is extremely contrived and artificial. You can't try to cheat the fucker, you can't try to hunt him down again after letting him go, you can't try to investigate and find the abducted folks on your own - for no good reason at all other than it wouldn't be a tuff moral choice then.

Well, you can try to convince him to resist his canibalistic urges (fast talk skillcheck). I could not do it due to different allocation of APs. Maybe it gets you the best result?

And yes, I was also surprised I could not betray this fucker.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What is with the shitty title,infi trying to be edgy? The game is pretty good,had a lot more fun than with modern day garbage like outer worlds. The game oozes character and environment,not many games have a brothel where they sell undead whores for nercomancers to fuck lol.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, so I finished this yesterday.

I enjoyed the story - in which you rarely made good or bad choices - but rather had to choose between different sorts of evil. It was either the necromancers or the demonologists, religious fanatics of the Twelvegods or the demon worshippers, taking away all hope from the people suffering from the plague - or giving them false hope and allowing them to be taken advantage of. Fucking your sister or... not fucking her :D. Basically, every major choice caused me to stop and ponder the alternatives. It is reinforced by the save system - that while irritating (the game autosaves at certain locations and plot points), encourages you to accept the - often disastrous - consequences of your decisions. It was definitely a strong point of the game. Too bad the ending always plays out the same, no matter which path you chose. And there are no ending slides, probably due to rushed final stages of development. A lost opportunity - I'd love to see how the world (or rather a small chunk of Shadowlands) changed due to the deeds and sacrifices of my PC.

The character development system can be considered successful transplantation of rich pen and paper rules into an action-RPG. The fixed protagonist, Cairon, has 8 stats, 4 of them strictly used for combat, 4 useful for interacting with the game world. Attached to those stats are skills that are constantly checked during exploration, conversations, almost every undertaken activity. You want to heal a sick man? Skill check of medicine. Find a hidden door? Skill check of perception. Open locked door? Skill check of lockpicking. Discover a lethal trap protecting treasure you wish to loot? Another check of perception. However, in order to disarm the trap, you'll need to pass a check for blacksmithing. Which is also checked when you upgrade your weapons and armor. There are skills for talking, plant-gathering, lore-discovering. Each successful check grants Cairon ability points (APs) that are needed to increase stats and skills. There are also combat abilities (several skill trees unlocked with APs) and magical abilities (3 offensive spells with 4 upgrades and a powerful buff, mostly purchased with gold). The good thing about the system is that every advancement was significant in some way. After reaching each level of perception I traveled around the city of Warunk to find all the new loot and hidden locations my PC finally could spot. After unlocking the next level of haggling I visited every trader to get cheaper prices (and additional APs) etc. Those frequent treks through the central hub of the game allow you to get to know it pretty well.

Ah yes, the city. Fortunately Demonicon is not an open-world RPG. The game has a hub structure and the most important of all hubs, to which you return several times during the story is the troubled, war-scarred city of Warunk. It's reasonably big with several districts - refugee camp, marketplace, upper town, east town, the slums and although some of them might feel a bit empty, there is still a lot to explore. The only problem with Warunk is that it's such a well-defined and characteristic location that the other hubs might feel inferior (which is totally true).

The worldbuilding is neat - the Shadowlands, the dark side of Aventuria is a much better setting than the generic fantasyland presented to us in Drakensang. It's dark, grim, and rotten to the core, and yet filled with likable characters, like Parel Notgelf, leader of the criminal syndicate, or the wiseass Magus who dispenses lorebombs with grace and style badly needed in higher budget titles like Pillars of Eternity. BTW when it comes to lore, it's actually worth reading. The writers of Demonicon had lots of quality source material and were not afraid to use it. The writing is uneven however - sometimes very good, sometimes cringe-worthy (especially during early interactions between Cairon and Calandra). The sidequests are few and not very interesting, mostly of fetch and kill variety, but the main questline feels pretty solid. In what other game you get to set up a new Church, and write its catechism, by deciding the cult's governing principles? The doctrine of Borbaradianism is quite flexible and you can come up with quite different results (through my choices I molded it into something akin of a Sith ideology from KOTOR). Too bad you don't get to see whether your creation succeeds or fails in expanding throughout the Shadowlands.

Combat, usually the core of action-RPG is... acceptable. Not great, not terrible. In the beginning, it can be quite challenging but once you learn enough combat moves, gather some spells and upgrade the basic stats your Cairon will blast through legions of enemies without much trouble. It's not all about mindless button-mashing though. Different enemies require different approaches and boss fights usually also offer some interesting gimmicks. However, due to the fact that Demonicon's strongest aspects are the story, characters, and worldbuilding, combat simply becomes something you get through as quickly as possible to get to the best parts.

Visuals are nothing to write home about - Demonicon is a budget title and it shows. The best thing we can admire here is Calandra's cleavage. Plus, the "drawn" cutscenes are pretty nice. However, we're not graphics whores here, are we? Lack of outstanding presentation should not discourage us from enjoying the finer qualities of Demonicon - and they are many. I'd recommend the game, especially to those that value a good story. You can get it pretty cheap those days - with the 70% discount on Steam it now costs less than 3 euros. For such a price it's basically a steal.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Seems pretty cheap..
tmiH3Z3.jpg

Yeah, picked up on steam. I have everything else in that setting... except pnp.

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
Ok, so I finished this yesterday.

I enjoyed the story - in which you rarely made good or bad choices - but rather had to choose between different sorts of evil. It was either the necromancers or the demonologists, religious fanatics of the Twelvegods or the demon worshippers, taking away all hope from the people suffering from the plague - or giving them false hope and allowing them to be taken advantage of. Fucking your sister or... not fucking her :D. Basically, every major choice caused me to stop and ponder the alternatives. It is reinforced by the save system - that while irritating (the game autosaves at certain locations and plot points), encourages you to accept the - often disastrous - consequences of your decisions. It was definitely a strong point of the game. Too bad the ending always plays out the same, no matter which path you chose. And there are no ending slides, probably due to rushed final stages of development. A lost opportunity - I'd love to see how the world (or rather a small chunk of Shadowlands) changed due to the deeds and sacrifices of my PC.

The character development system can be considered successful transplantation of rich pen and paper rules into an action-RPG. The fixed protagonist, Cairon, has 8 stats, 4 of them strictly used for combat, 4 useful for interacting with the game world. Attached to those stats are skills that are constantly checked during exploration, conversations, almost every undertaken activity. You want to heal a sick man? Skill check of medicine. Find a hidden door? Skill check of perception. Open locked door? Skill check of lockpicking. Discover a lethal trap protecting treasure you wish to loot? Another check of perception. However, in order to disarm the trap, you'll need to pass a check for blacksmithing. Which is also checked when you upgrade your weapons and armor. There are skills for talking, plant-gathering, lore-discovering. Each successful check grants Cairon ability points (APs) that are needed to increase stats and skills. There are also combat abilities (several skill trees unlocked with APs) and magical abilities (3 offensive spells with 4 upgrades and a powerful buff, mostly purchased with gold). The good thing about the system is that every advancement was significant in some way. After reaching each level of perception I traveled around the city of Warunk to find all the new loot and hidden locations my PC finally could spot. After unlocking the next level of haggling I visited every trader to get cheaper prices (and additional APs) etc. Those frequent treks through the central hub of the game allow you to get to know it pretty well.

Ah yes, the city. Fortunately Demonicon is not an open-world RPG. The game has a hub structure and the most important of all hubs, to which you return several times during the story is the troubled, war-scarred city of Warunk. It's reasonably big with several districts - refugee camp, marketplace, upper town, east town, the slums and although some of them might feel a bit empty, there is still a lot to explore. The only problem with Warunk is that it's such a well-defined and characteristic location that the other hubs might feel inferior (which is totally true).

The worldbuilding is neat - the Shadowlands, the dark side of Aventuria is a much better setting than the generic fantasyland presented to us in Drakensang. It's dark, grim, and rotten to the core, and yet filled with likable characters, like Parel Notgelf, leader of the criminal syndicate, or the wiseass Magus who dispenses lorebombs with grace and style badly needed in higher budget titles like Pillars of Eternity. BTW when it comes to lore, it's actually worth reading. The writers of Demonicon had lots of quality source material and were not afraid to use it. The writing is uneven however - sometimes very good, sometimes cringe-worthy (especially during early interactions between Cairon and Calandra). The sidequests are few and not very interesting, mostly of fetch and kill variety, but the main questline feels pretty solid. In what other game you get to set up a new Church, and write its catechism, by deciding the cult's governing principles? The doctrine of Borbaradianism is quite flexible and you can come up with quite different results (through my choices I molded it into something akin of a Sith ideology from KOTOR). Too bad you don't get to see whether your creation succeeds or fails in expanding throughout the Shadowlands.

Combat, usually the core of action-RPG is... acceptable. Not great, not terrible. In the beginning, it can be quite challenging but once you learn enough combat moves, gather some spells and upgrade the basic stats your Cairon will blast through legions of enemies without much trouble. It's not all about mindless button-mashing though. Different enemies require different approaches and boss fights usually also offer some interesting gimmicks. However, due to the fact that Demonicon's strongest aspects are the story, characters, and worldbuilding, combat simply becomes something you get through as quickly as possible to get to the best parts.

Visuals are nothing to write home about - Demonicon is a budget title and it shows. The best thing we can admire here is Calandra's cleavage. Plus, the "drawn" cutscenes are pretty nice. However, we're not graphics whores here, are we? Lack of outstanding presentation should not discourage us from enjoying the finer qualities of Demonicon - and they are many. I'd recommend the game, especially to those that value a good story. You can get it pretty cheap those days - with the 70% discount on Steam it now costs less than 3 euros. For such a price it's basically a steal.
Excellent write-up - over time I have come to consider the game to be a hidden gem of sorts. What it does well it does really really well, and all the rest handles competently as well. For anyone who like Spiders / Cyanide titles, this one is pretty much a guaranteed must-play material.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I added this on ITAD some time ago after reading some positive comments on the game by fantadomat and bought it last week. I didn't notice it was on GOG too though otherwise i'd wait for a price drop there since the Steam version not only relies on Steam API and is encrypted, it also has a launcher that phones home to Kalypso and wants you to download an update for it. Well, i managed to remove the encryption, used Goldberg's emulator and hexedited the request URL in the launcher's executable so it wont load which causes it to skip the launcher (apparently it thinks there is no internet, so it isn't really just any form of DRM, just to annoy the user and force Kalypso's downloads) and seems to work fine without Steam. GOG version seems to bypass all that stuff though.

Anyway, i just started the game and looks like quality eurojank, apparently made by a company of ~45 people that looks like it closed after the game was released. The animations are very stiff and looks like they're running at 30fps or so regardless of the framerate, but overall the game looks like it'd have some interesting atmosphere. One thing i found interesting is that while the voice acting is meh, the VA for Calandra (your sister) stood out to me and i was certain i heard that voice in recent times... so i looked her up and turns out to have worked in several large games in recent years, including Alt Cunningham in CP2077.

I'll post more thoughts about the game after/if i finished it.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

I know that Drakensang is held in high esteem in certain circles, but it didn't click for me.
No wonder, it's sort of user-unfriendly at the beginning. And some mechanics are nothing short of infuriating. One for all - you can have one char sneaking around while others are waiting. To your dismall suprise, at some unfathomed point, the waiting characters start running (at 10x speed) towards your sneaking character, and bam, HENLO ENEMEES, WE ARE HIS MATES thing is going on suddenly.

But once you get around some misunderstandings, it's a wonderful RPG. Atmospheric - it actually makes you care about the world, with various builds even within one class, quests can be done in various ways, leveling has a good impact, magical weapons are hard to come by - very appreciated moments of reward. Searching / paying attention is rewarded in different quest outcomes or treasures...

Dodo1610

Arcane
The Codex ability to scrape the bottom of the barrel and convince themselves that what they find there is even somewhat acceptable is amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom