Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye The Dark Eye: Demonicon

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
playable in a Dungeon Lords sort of way.

Game Banshee is a garbage website when it comes to reviews and lists.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
His reviews are also not very good from what I remember. :)

For example on several occasions he's criticized Jeff Vogel's games for being apples instead of oranges.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Game Banshee is a garbage website when it comes to reviews and lists.
They crowned Fallout 3 GOTY. Never forget.
I wasn't involved in that. But, especially if selection of games is poor in a given year, or the games that people on staff have played are limited, at a certain point the GOTY title is basically a gigantic compromise, selected because everyone just goes "yeah, I guess so, good enough." And to be honest, there wasn't that much competition when Fallout 3 came out, with the only real notable RPG otherwise being Risen (which I'd rate above Fallout 3, but still).

His reviews are also not very good from what I remember. :)

For example on several occasions he's criticized Jeff Vogel's games for being apples instead of oranges.
My criticisms of Jeff's games have always respected what he was trying to achieve. First off, I've only "officially" reviewed Avadon 2 and Avernum: Escape from the Pit. I liked the latter despite being simplified from the original. Avadon 2 I had major problems with - specifically weak characters and story, a badly designed character system, over-abundance of filler combat, and extremely annoying, illogical quest design in the name of hand-holding and enforcing linearity.

I respect what Jeff is trying to do with Avadon (BioWare-style RPG), but I think his execution is severely lacking. If I make a 3D platformer, a genre that inherently relies on good level design, and then mine has shitty level design, saying "oh but I meant for the level design to be shit" isn't really a very good defense, isn't it?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Demonicon looks and sounds like a budget title. The voice actors read their lines clearly (which is good because the subtitles are frequently tough to decipher), but only rarely do they infuse them with any emotion, making the game sometimes dull to listen to. Demonicon really could have used an over-the-top villain, or some humor, or just about anything to provide some variance to its one-note tone.
The English voice actors for the main characters are the same for Nameless Hero and Patty of Risen 2.

The German voice over on the other hand is very good, though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I respect what Jeff is trying to do with Avadon (BioWare-style RPG), but I think his execution is severely lacking. If I make a 3D platformer, a genre that inherently relies on good level design, and then mine has shitty level design, saying "oh but I meant for the level design to be shit" isn't really a very good defense, isn't it?
If there's one complaint to be made about Avernum as far as its world and gameplay goes, it's that it comes from a much simpler time. While there is an interesting parallel between some of the underground conflicts and those implied above ground (such as the dominance of the state over the people), Avernum is bare-boned compared to the far more character-driven stories found in the later games, and has very little choice and consequence in either solving quests or the game ending(s), something that can become a bit jarring at times.
Apples and oranges. They're both fruit.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I originally planned to get it on the sale, but got bored and bought it anyway a few days ago.

The game tries hard to borrow from The Witcher series and Bioware rpgs, but fails at almost every aspect and mechanic aside from story, which is surprisingly fun. Being a storyfag myself I was ready to forgive the many shortcomings, but the ending managed to nullify whatever positive feelings I had for Demonicon: it is a 5 second long cg which doesn't depend on any of your previous choices and actions, forcibly railroaded, makes little sense (behold a deus ex machina 1 minute before the boss fight) and is simply annoying. So you get an insulting 5 second cg, credits and then main menu - no slides, no scenes, nothing. In comparison to this a Mass Effect 3 original ending can be considered a masterpiece. Oh well.

As for the game in general, the pros:
- Story is entertaining, characters are ok and generally make sense.
- The world of Dark Eye looks much more interesting and atmospheric than in the previous DE game Drakensang, where it felt as a boring generic fantasy. (I guess I am a grimdark'fag as well)
- All non-combat skills have uses, if only to get junk loot.
- Choices have consequences, though mostly in dialogs and cosmetic map changes.
- Comprehensive codex of the game world and plot.

The cons:
- No manual saving, can sometimes take up to 15 minutes to hit the next save trigger.
- No key remapping (enjoy shift-4 for potion).
- Combat is clunky and unbalanced, also all animations are so long it almost feels like a phase based and not real time (reminded me of The Witcher 1 combat).
- Side quests are few and are a joke, on the quality level of the infamous Dragon Age 2 "deliver a random item you find to some dude" quests.
- Very limited exploration - nothing to find but some random junk loot (weapons, armor and talismans are only rewarded for plot quests or bought in shops), and a couple of combat hints codex entries, some of which require one of the skills to get like pick locks or perception.
- Linear story progression and basically nothing to do beyond that.
- Economy is broken, you get rich fast and there is little need for money.
- Alchemy is generic and also useless since you find more potions than you generally need and even on harder difficulties it's easier just to buy them.
- Graphics are outdated, customization is limited to armors which are few.

Misq:
- The only dialog choices here are to inquire some info (sometimes requires lore or fast talk checks) and plot choices, yet the protagonist often speaks as if player is randomly alternating between calm and aggressive options. It can partially be attributed to certain plot specifics, but still feels weird. Otherwise the english voiceovers are generally on the ok scale.

Irxy

Arcane
They aren't biological siblings. The old man lies to keep them from mixing blood
Codex updates in the late chapters actually imply that the other one dude may be your biological father and that you'll never really know.
Though it may be one of the many plot holes. Like when
your necromancer "brother" locks you up, he tells you that he intentionally brought the plague to the city to get more workers, and just in a minute when you defeat him he suddenly tells you the opposite thing as if the previous dialog never happened.
Or maybe they downplayed it for censoreship reasons. You can still
flirt with your other sister and make plans to have sex later.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Ending should have been
just a fight with Calandra. Killing her should close the Limbus gate. It's mentioned many times she's the strongest but you never see her do anything.

My biggest issue with the plot

How come daddy doesn't immediately recognize Azaril when she shows up in the beginning of the game? She merely put a Venetian mask in front of her face.

Heck, why did daddy not flee the Shadow Lands altogether? And give baby Calandra away to Peraine or Rahja Church or whatever instead of continuing to risk the pseudo siblings of mixing blood? Azaril would be hard pressed to find them then, let alone be able to do shit to them.

Irxy

Arcane
Ending should have been
Yeah, I actually expected such outcome since early midgame and till the very last chapter. Well, doing something unexpected is usually a good thing when it concerns plot... unless you fail a creativity check like in this case.

My biggest issue with the plot
How come daddy doesn't immediately recognize Azaril when she shows up in the beginning of the game? She merely put a Venetian mask in front of her face.
This one is actually explained in one of the dialogs, kind of - "I was probably under some spell" or something like that, also used to explain why
he insisted on marriage when you already had citizenship and your blood already mixed.
Calandra did the same thing without any spells just because she is an idiot though.
Also it is annoying how you are captured and disarmed in this game 2 times by the very same guys who's asses you easily kicked just moments before those cutscenes forced the plot on the right railroad.

Heck, why did daddy not flee the Shadow Lands altogether? And give baby Calandra away to Peraine or Rahja Church or whatever instead of continuing to risk the pseudo siblings of mixing blood? Azaril would be hard pressed to find them then, let alone be able to do shit to them.
I originally thought this to be intentional and expected
your father to be an Azaril agent on the mission to make you strong via all the trouble of growing in such harsh condition.
Yet they never played this card thus making just another plot whole.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Finally got this one. I just had a quick peek to see what it's like -- terrible popamole combat in the first stages, derpy dialogs, wannabe grimdark atmosphere compared to the previous Dark Eye games, as expected -- but since the wife really enjoyed the first Drakensang and The River of Time, I reckon it'll grant me some marital ARPG bliss during the holidays. Hopefully the game will develop some depth down the road, rather than saying I'm "cunning" for whacking a rat in the face with a sword. Not holding my breath, though.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
:necro:

The game is currently available for $6 – the animations are still super ridiculous and the Codex only having 5 pages on this game doesn't exactly ring "underrated gem with an ugly duckling exterior" to me. Looks like not even incest could save this game. So should I spend 6 bucks on it or rather spend them on a CoD map pack - even if I don't even play CoD? :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

The game is currently available for $6 – the animations are still super ridiculous and the Codex only having 6 pages on this game doesn't exactly ring "underrated gem with an ugly duckling exterior" to me. Looks like not even incest could save this game. So should I spend 6 bucks on it or rather spend them on a CoD map pack - even if I don't even play CoD? :D

Available where?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
As a Dark Eye game it's the equal of Drakensang/Blackguards. And it certainly does grimdark much better.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I got it from a bundle for like 3$ some time ago. It was low budget but I enjoyed it. But then again I really enjoy euro popamole rpgs in general.

Combat is a bit of a clunky clickfest + a few spells , game is pretty linear (almost no sidequests), I cannot comment on how good the implementation of the stats/skills system is.

I liked the story, it also seemed to have lots of info from the Dark Eye lore, and there was a good amount of C&C, though it doesn't affect that much the way that events unfold.

Irxy

Arcane
I personally compare this game to Mars: War Logs/Bound by Flame - the devs had a lot of right ideas and talent to make a marvel, but obviously low budget and time restrictions ruined most of it.
Still, the final product is more fun than, say, DAI.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I finally could convince myself to buy the game (it's also on sale at the Humble Spring Sale right now).

My first impression is that it seems worse in Youtube videos than if you play it yourself (not talking solely about visuals but the general feeling / atmosphere). It has a B-movie style, but at least it's consistent in it (playing with a controller helps with that too, I think). The C&C so far seems to be a bit meh, but their Witcher rip-off animated "consequences" story parts looked ok. The dungeon design is "old school" so far, with levers appearing nearby the respective portcullis but often "hidden". No need to hide them or put them out of the way if they are meant to be accessible and if not, don't place them there at all and use keys. The slowmo when a hit connects is annoying, but not as bad as it looked on Youtube.

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Damn you all. Now I'm gonna give this game another try. I might have unjustly dismissed it as shit too early, last time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom