Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics The Lamplighters League - turn-based tactics in pulp 1930s setting from Harebrained Schemes

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
from dragonfall to this
btw is there a mod or something that would allow you to play dragonfall with hongkong improvements?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
from dragonfall to this
btw is there a mod or something that would allow you to play dragonfall with hongkong improvements?
Which improvements?
been a while, wasnt there something around decking and drones for example? As in hongkong made it better/easier to do both at the same time

HK metrix was the fucking bomb, much better than the previous two games. I am not sure about the drones as I never played as a rigger though.

Anyway, people have tried to play DF in HK engine by copying the DF content into HK instalation, but as far as I know it never worked and there are no mods that do this.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
hmm... wasnt there something like drones protecting you while doing decking, cyberdeck taking one of the wpn slot in dragonfall, possibly others?
I remember that I really wanted to replay DF as rigging decker but something was stopping me after finishing HK

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Went twitter scrolling and found this from back in July.

Yep, it's that kind of industry... my whole team at Harebrained Schemes was laid off. It was a super-talented group, and we're extremely proud of what we shipped for The Lamplighters League. If our CVs cross your desk or if you know of new opportunities, give us a ping!

They fired the team that made this months before it was even released. Looks like Paradox knew they had a bomb on their hands and sent it out to die.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Yep, it's that kind of industry... my whole team at Harebrained Schemes was laid off. It was a super-talented group, and we're extremely proud of what we shipped for The Lamplighters League. If our CVs cross your desk or if you know of new opportunities, give us a ping!

They fired the team that made this months before it was even released. Looks like Paradox knew they had a bomb on their hands and sent it out to die.

Man I really wanna know the details related to this. Did they replace the team? Just cut content workers who had finished their part? What is the full story?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Very confusing as to why they thought this game would be a winner, though. Even if it was good, the market for this kind of thing is surely relatively niche. Between the relative flop of Midnight Suns (which I thought was fantastic, aside from the writing) and the total giga-flop of this, devs and publishers in future might start to be wary of turn-based tactics games, which is a shame.
With Jagged Alliance 3 selling well, and for that matter Baldur's Gate 3 being massively successfully albeit primarily due to viral bear marketing, there should be continuing interest in developing turn-based tactics games. +M

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Tom Chick really rips into LL and also Paradox in the QT3 thread on this game. Said it was "not very good" and also had day 1 dlc for $8.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Oh man. On the one hand, it sucks to see people lose their jobs and such. On the other, I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh when I first read that. Still though, I hope they find work elsewhere and possibly adjust to the market messages being sent.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
53 reviews on Steam after 1 week. Ouch.

With their previous games, they had a massive advantage due to highly visible Kickstarter using beloved IPs. I guess they underestimate how much their dev brand name carries.

Costing really expensive for what amounts to be AA dev product possibly also helps with the failure.

Any other reason this game has such a sorry launch sales? Are the theme, art, or both just doesn't really sell?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

With their previous games, they had a massive advantage due to highly visible Kickstarter using beloved IPs. I guess they underestimate how much their dev brand name carries.

Costing really expensive for what amounts to be AA dev product possibly also helps with the failure.

Any other reason this game has such a sorry launch sales? Are the theme, art, or both just doesn't really sell?
This thing's been out for a week? Really? :lol:

EDIT: Thanks Roguey, I didn't think so, but couldn't be arsed to look. It's only been like a day or so, right? :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

One day, not one week. Incredibly busy quarter and day one gamepass also provide an even greater incentive not to buy it. But there are only 80 reviews on gamepass so it's not really doing numbers there either.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

One day, not one week. Incredibly busy quarter and day one gamepass also provide an even greater incentive not to buy it. But there are only 80 reviews on gamepass so it's not really doing numbers there either.

I had a brain farts and thought today is 10th of October already

lycanwarrior

Scholar
8 user reviews :lol:
Peak of 773, shaping up to be a flop.

The perk of HBS relying on crowdfunding before is that they could find out right away if they were working on something people actually wanted to buy. Paradox with the anti-Midas touch.
Game publishers/developers do make games gamers want to play. Hence the reason we see so many:

Battle Royales
Extraction/looter shooters
Huge Open world games
Souls-like games
Licensed games
Remakes/remasters of older beloved IPs
Sequels to existing hit franchises
Survival/crafting games in the indie space

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh god, didn't realise there was a day 1 character DLC going for £6.99. So the actual cost of the full game is around £50. That's outrageous.

Someone would have to explain to me why this Lamplighters world is interesting at all, but since it's not an RPG it would be an uphill battle.
One of the developers worked on Crimson Skies back in the day, I think. They could have used that to really sell the game on the high-spirited 1930s pulp adventure remix stuff. Although the writing in this actually seems a bit bland in the way a lot of media these days is, characters just sort of talking in perfunctory ways as they move through a by-the-numbers plot, so it looks like they've failed to tap into the appeal of that genre anyway.

What is the market for this?
It's temping to blame Paradox, I suppose, since making people pay not-insignificant sums of money for very insubstantial DLC is their whole model.

Very confusing as to why they thought this game would be a winner, though. Even if it was good, the market for this kind of thing is surely relatively niche. Between the relative flop of Midnight Suns (which I thought was fantastic, aside from the writing) and the total giga-flop of this, devs and publishers in future might start to be wary of turn-based tactics games, which is a shame.
My guess is that Day 1 DLC character is here because of Game Pass. Gamepass always only gives you the base game but you need to buy DLCs for the game. So they probably though to get some more money from gamepass players.
But if gamepass players had extra money we would not be GamePass players :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
HK metrix was the fucking bomb, much better than the previous two games.
Adding real-time stealth and memorization minigames just made it worse as far as I was concerned.
I just played and finished it recently.. memorization minigames made me want to kill someone :D
I am too old for that shit..
Then I went to play DLC for it and quit after I ran into first Matrix part :D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I thought the epilogue actually improved the stealth part because it made staying out of enemies' line of sight easier with clearly defined wait-and-observe points.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I thought the epilogue actually improved the stealth part because it made staying out of enemies' line of sight easier with clearly defined wait-and-observe points.
I played in on Xbox with a controller. You learn fast that your character gets stuck on everything while you got seconds to get to the exact safe spot. It usually takes a few reloads before you can do that though tight corridors without getting stuck.. another reason I wanted to kill someone while playing Matrix parts.
It is also irritating when just moving around the map in RT but at least you do not have time limitations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom