Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics The Lamplighters League - turn-based tactics in pulp 1930s setting from Harebrained Schemes

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Does someone know games(any genre) that were successful with a similar setting? I have a hard time thinking of anything.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Does someone know games(any genre) that were successful with a similar setting? I have a hard time thinking of anything.
30´s pulp?
Crimson Skies, anything with Indiana Jones maybe some others.
Since you did say any genre here is one boardgame that fit exactly
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/95103/fortune-and-glory-cliffhanger-game

So we have point and click adventures that are ~30 years old, one arcade action flying game ~20 years old and one board game. I guess Clive Barker's Undying also fits the bill somewhat.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn, RIP HBS. I question the decision when this was revealed, but it turned out to be worse than I'd ever thought. I mean morty has 4090 and experienced performance issue ffs.

negator2vc

Scholar
These days I no longer care or trust companies/devs even if those companies/devs made amazing games in the past.
In Harebrained Schemes case I enjoyed the Shadowrun Trilogy and that's good enough for me.
They can go boom for all I care!
Same thing for ex. with the Shadow Tactics / Desperados 3 devs and their latest (and last) shit game.
I wish I could care as I did in the past about the devs that made these games but I can't, just can't.
Unfortunately this is the world we are living now.

ArchAngel

Arcane
These days I no longer care or trust companies/devs even if those companies/devs made amazing games in the past.
In Harebrained Schemes case I enjoyed the Shadowrun Trilogy and that's good enough for me.
They can go boom for all I care!
Same thing for ex. with the Shadow Tactics / Desperados 3 devs and their latest (and last) shit game.
I wish I could care as I did in the past about the devs that made these games but I can't, just can't.
Unfortunately this is the world we are living now.
Even worse people praise devs that have yet to make any good games like Larian

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
5ogRbZz.gif

Oof

OCTOBER 10, 2023

Paradox Interactive writes down MSEK 171 of capitalized development cost for The Lamplighters League​

Paradox Interactive has today decided to write down capitalized development costs for the game The Lamplighters League, in addition to the regular degressive amortization done during the game’s first three months. Overall, this will result in that all of the game’s capitalized development costs of MSEK 320 will be recognized as costs in the fourth quarter of 2023. The game’s impact on profit before tax for the fourth quarter is estimated to MSEK -248. The write-down stems from a revised sales forecast, which was established after the game’s release.
The Lamplighters League is a fun game with many strengths. Even though we see cautiously positive player numbers in subscription services, the commercial reception has been too weak, which is frankly a big disappointment. Game projects are by their nature always risky, but at the end of the day we haven’t performed at the level we should. It is painful but makes us more eager to roll up our sleeves and do better,” says Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive.
This disclosure contains information that Paradox Interactive AB is obliged to make public pursuant to the EU Market Abuse Regulation (EU nr 596/2014). The information was submitted for publication, through the agency of the contact person, on 10-10-2023 22:10 CET.

Lemming42

Arcane
Wonder how much it actually sold. I think a big barrier for a lot of people is the price - knock that down to like £19.99 (which is probably a fair price given what the game actually is) and a lot of people would have bought it.

The cost they're asking is just a total pisstake.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The price for this game was just bonkers. They were out of their damn minds. $25 and it woulda sold strong initially at least, even if it ended up being trashed later.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wonder how much it actually sold. I think a big barrier for a lot of people is the price - knock that down to like £19.99 (which is probably a fair price given what the game actually is) and a lot of people would have bought it.

The price for this game was just bonkers. They were out of their damn minds. $25 and it woulda sold strong initially at least, even if it ended up being trashed later.
With those numbers they'd have to sell 1.5 million at full price just to break-even. At the current price it needed 750,000, which is delusional, but not an unreasonable number to try to hit.

Mortmal

Arcane
High price, the aesthetic appeal of a phone game, nothing new, look mainstream, and available on Game Pass from day one. What could go wrong? I used to buy a lot of stuff like this, but I am getting tired of all the shovelware, i could take one month trial gamepass someday and finish them all. Anyway, with the recession we are already in, many of those studios will shut down, no matter if we buy it or not.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well that's a bye2 for HBS I guess

I was hoping they would do another SR or take one of the WoD stuff but I guess that's it for now

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I know this is unpopular of an opinion, but I liked their Battletech. They really had very good chances to make the sequel better, especially given they received the much needed experience and feedback. It could have been space merc sim we always wanted ffs.

I was so surprised when they announced that they’ve finished with Battletech. Why on earth? And then they’ve announced this to my further puzzlement. Fucking bonkers.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

With those numbers they'd have to sell 1.5 million at full price just to break-even. At the current price it needed 750,000, which is delusional, but not an unreasonable number to try to hit.
I mean if they spent $40mil to make this that is the real problem. Mainline Paradox games sell ~5-7mil copies. PI published games almost always sell less. Battletech had a budget of like 3mil or something after all the Kickstarter stuff. Didn't even sell 1 million copies total. And that was with an iconic IP and a widely well reviewed game.

There's no way in hell LL sells more than 500k regardless of pricing.

Last edited:

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

The game’s impact on profit before tax for the fourth quarter is estimated to MSEK -248.
Back of the napkin MATH!

$ 23 Mil losses on Dev costs of $29.5 Mil

$6.5 mil~ Revenues
Not sure if Dev costs include marketing, but even without seem negligible probably in the multiple 100k range?

Based on Microsoft leaks: Launch Day Gamepass min is around $5 mil. (https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...rs-gate-3-are-obsidian-inxile-screwed.148336/)

So assuming Gamepass deal was min price, probably $1.5-2 mil in sales at most.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know this is unpopular of an opinion, but I liked their Battletech.
I agree with this. The writing was woke trash, but the gameplay was fine.
I don't even think it was overly woke, but it sure was weak. Then again, writing in that setting always seems to be rather weak and needs some wonderful B-tier acting to make interesting.
But the main issue wasn't writing or gameplay (which was lacking, too, but with mods you could make it adequate).

It was the tech. The game performed incredibly sluggish with frankly no looks to justify that even remotely.
Add to that absurdly long loading times, no way to speed up the sloooooooooow gameplay, bugs of course and you got yourself a very shaky foundation for any game.
Which AFAIK all of their games have shown - they just don't seem to have the best coders to put it nicely, or they don't give them the time needed.
Blame Unity? Nah, other devs manage to do much better with Unity.

Why they decided to go with a setting for their new game that lost its appeal 20-30 years ago is a mystery to me.
Even with a less divisive look, this wouldn't have attracted massive amounts of people.
It works for horror games, but that's really about it.
And then the asking price, of course - if you don't have anything to really lure people in, you can't put such a price on your product.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
30´s pulp?
Crimson Skies, anything with Indiana Jones maybe some others.

If undying - horror pulp - counts, then all the cthulu-inspired games?

30`s Pulp: Call of the Sea, Nocturne
20`s: The Sinking City, Call of Cthulu. Pathway

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom