Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Upcoming cRPGs

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Darth Roxor said:
Mangoose said:
Yeah HOMM is an RPG alright.

It has RPG elements.

But not an RPG, or even a hybrid RPG, because any hero you develop is ultimately expendable.

Edit: And no, I am not saying that is the only element of an RPG. In before fucking strawmen.

circ

Arcane
Of all the upcoming crap, Magicka looks like the only fun one, although popamole with mage(s) only dunno. Also, two other "rpg's" not mentioned are Dungeon Hero and Mars, both supposed to have a 2010 release date.

The first dungeon-based game to realistically depict underground life, Dungeon Hero promises all the danger, intrigue and daily routine of an actual subterranean community.

Combining HD graphics with incredibly detailed environments completely immerses players in their newfound surroundings, complete with goblin cheese merchants, jailed troll miners and helpful imps just looking for peace.

Release is supposed to be in 2010 sometime. But a dev calls it a "VERY light RPG", so.

In Mars you play the role of Seth, an elite soldier with a dark past, or Pandora, an ambitious technomancer, experiencing two different gameplays thanks to the fact that each character played independently from the other has different backgrounds, skills and features.

In the destroyed world of Mars, two destinies mingle together. Two beings searching for their identity travel across a broken planet, constantly facing bloody political conflicts which tear the old colonies apart. Often divided, sometimes fighting the same enemies, both are the source of the advent of a new era…

Mars trailer - http://www.tothegame.com/video-ps3-9268 ... ion-3.html

It's PS3, but the page that also says release is in 2010, has it under PC, so.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I'm not looking forward to that many games it seems, other than the ITS games, though I am curious about F:NV, DX3 and Avadon mostly just to see how they turn out.

There's too many arpgs on that list.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Mortmal said:
I ll keep saying that stuff like jagged alliance , xcom ,stalker, or even space ranger 2 etc feels much more like a rpg even if they dont have the brand RPG printed on their forehead than those new action rpg or JRPG.
Also you should be aware hes also working on a rpg mod for elemental.
Jaesun said:
Will you shut the fuck up Mortmal.
XCOM or Stalker are certainly not CRPGs but i can't see why JA2 can't be called a (tactical) RPG or strategy-rpg hybrid. Is it because it has "strategy" not "rpg" wrtitten on the box ? It woudnt be the first time. If strategy is supposed to sell better they call the game strategy.

spectre

Arcane
But teh laptop guy don't have stats ffs!!!1

Hitting a new low, gents, finding excuses to label shit as rpg? Should be the other way around.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Elementium-The Dawn of Tomorrow (unknown ETA)

There is no website for now, he is basically updating youtube with new videos as he makes more updates to it.

Latest video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dymULzA02uw

Shows a NPC encounter and more of the interface. It's very old school, looks pretty cool though.

mikaelis said:
For uptade - here is the oficial site of E.Y.E.:

http://eye.streumon-studio.com/

They just added couple of screenshots and a trailer. From the trailer it looks like it should be out this year.
Looks like more complicated version of deus ex (shooting, sneaking, hacking, engineering, psi elements) . Sounds good if the plot is Ok.

Gameplay (last video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltNEyFGYrw

Can't wait for this one. I wouldn't be too optimistic about the plot though, last time I checked they had "Brouzoufs" (semi-retarded french slang) as in-game currency. It's shaping up to be pretty silly, not that I mind.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Konjad said:

Apes.jpg

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
micmu said:
Great list there - with zero actual cRPG entries for 2010/11. Shouldn't have bothered :P
Bwuh? I see at least five RPGs, a whole punch of something/RPGs, and only a few "wouldn't call them RPGs at all".

Knightlife: The Sims Medieval Announced

What’s this? A press release has come tumbling through the RPS letterbox, bound in tattered leather and announcing the Spring 2011 release of The Sims Medieval. A full game of its own (presumably using the Sims 3 engine), The Sims Medieval will allow players to create their very own “Hero Sim (TM)” and then either head off on quests or focus on building up their kingdom. We’re promised “drama, romance, conflict, and comedy” involving “characters from all walks of life, from Kings and Queens, to Knights and Wizards, Blacksmiths and Bards.” Full press release, some screens and some thoughts after the break.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/03/knightlife-the-sims-medieval-announced/

:lol:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MetalCraze said:
We already have Sims Medieval. It's called Guild series. Except it doesn't suck.

True, I bought second game with expansion and it's pretty fun... although graphic is fucking annoying, looks exactly like Oblivion.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Serus said:
XCOM or Stalker are certainly not CRPGs but i can't see why JA2 can't be called a (tactical) RPG or strategy-rpg hybrid. Is it because it has "strategy" not "rpg" wrtitten on the box ?
Actually, it has both and from the game's box you can read "a strategy role-playing simulation".

chewie

Educated

denizsi

Arcane
E.Y.E looks like an interesting H&S. I watched the video at 720p to read the menus the player deals with. You try to remotely "corrupt" your target's defenses but it looked retarded that the player simply had to keep clicking until he succeeded without penalties. Maybe the target should become aware and seek you when you fail.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
mikaelis said:
For uptade - here is the oficial site of E.Y.E.:

http://eye.streumon-studio.com/

They just added couple of screenshots and a trailer. From the trailer it looks like it should be out this year.
Looks like more complicated version of deus ex (shooting, sneaking, hacking, engineering, psi elements) . Sounds good if the plot is Ok.

Gameplay (last video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltNEyFGYrw

This looks awesome. I particularly like the hacking mechanics shown in the video.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Added Zero-something deutsch, added link for E.Y.E and changed 'Zombie RPG' to 'Dead State'.

Thanks for helping me with updates!

zeitgeist

Magister
E.Y.E seems pretty amusing, if it doesn't end up like... I can't remember what the game was called, it was an attempt at a Deus Ex/System Shock/Ultima Underworld hybrid. IIRC from an Eastern European developer, does anyone remember what I'm talking about? It had something with Neuro or Cyber or something generic like that in the name. It had all the right design goals but it ended up being hilariously horrible.

zeitgeist

Magister
likaq said:
Yep, that's the one! I just found an absolutely perfect review of the game.
It is a first game of Developer-Novice Media Art. I haven't expect some miracle from this game, but some of the parts of gameplay looks very well. It is good, that this game has 39 main missions, and it is bad that it has only 6 secondary quests. This gameplay lives on the foreign ideas. You can assemble some weapons, medpacs and armor (TES Morowind III). Main hero Hunter is strong bald man ( Hitman). But at the hole gameplay looks very well. The graphics of this game are poor, but it because the project has a small budget. Sound is always dull and boring. All the monsters are resembling and monotonous. An average game with many misses. You can buy it, but you will remember it not for a long.
This gameplay lives on the foreign ideas. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom