Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's with all those server errors lately?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
A very small minority (almost inconsequential really) may have noticed a few things lately:
  • Server 500 Errors
  • Having to login multiple times per day - even when you tick the "keep me logged in" box.
  • Shit being as slow as fuck.
  • Other shit generally not working.
The short answer is the Codex' server is getting overloaded due to heavy use (I'm sure there's a more technical term for that but I'm a PHP guy - not a server guy). Basically the Codex has so many people on the server can't keep up and stuff takes a bit of time to work, which affects staying logged in and stuff loading in general. We've looked at the queries that are causing the slow-downs and putting the most load on the server. In order they are:
  1. Search for text in post through MySQL full text search (currently disabled - redirects to google instead)
  2. The query that loads the list of threads when you look at a forum.
  3. The query that loads all the data in a given thread.
They're pretty much as optimised as they can be (given there's a set amount of data they need to get and only one real way to get it - and they're already doing that). Besides, the issue isn't so much that it's pulling data out (it's a database, it's what it was designed to do), it's that there are 200 people online at any one time pulling that stuff out. We are working on a forum upgrade though, which we hope will reduce the load. I have a sneaking suspicion it may not and there will still be some problems - but we won't know until we try.

As the Codex is run entirely on its forums (the news & content systems are linked into it) it takes a bit of time to re-code everything (and also because I'm coding in cool new stuff that we desperately needed a few years ago). This is just a matter of me spending less time in Minecraft and more time in PSPad during my spare time (though it pretty much works now - pending the game databases we don't really use anyway).

The major problem now however, is that the raw Codex database is over 2 GB in size. Certain issues arise when you're dealing with that much data - mainly that all the converters I rely on to convert our phpBB2 forum to the new software take a long time to process all the data (think days) and they're failing about 1/10th of the way through. That's an issue with PHP not being a great tool to run converters through but the only other alternative is I run some SQL commands straight through the command line. To do that means I need to spend a lot of time building them.

I'm currently trying to avoid that by digging into the errors, trying to fix them, playing with settings and trying the conversion again, then rinse and repeat. Taluntain is also looking at paying a mob to do it for us to see if that works.

Left to do now are:
  1. Convert phpBB2 to our new forums.
  2. Check that my code actually works with all that data.
  3. Update!
  4. Hope shit works (if it doesn't, resort to Plan B).
I'd hoped to have that all done by end of August but that's when I ran into problems with the converters. At this stage, ETA is end of this year or bust¹.

¹No, literally. If we don't fix this by the end of the year we'll probably have to go offline every other day. As it is Taluntain has to knock the Codex off every now and then in order to let things settle.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I notice that most of the visitors here are guests.
If the main load comes from the Forum directories and Thread content, wouldn't a temporary solution be to make some of the forums only accessible to registered users?

I know this step could be viewed as censorship (and Google Bot decline) but still might be a solution if things get out of hand.
IMHO beats the Codex beeing out of business every other day at least.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
DarkUnderlord said:
¹No, literally. If we don't fix this by the end of the year we'll probably have to go offline every other day. As it is Taluntain has to knock the Codex off every now and then in order to let things settle.
would deletion of all 2010/2011 accounts and posts in gd and retardo along with disabling registrations achieve similar results?

SoupNazi

so is codex the only forum on the entire interwebs with more than 200 active users on?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SuicideBunny said:
DarkUnderlord said:
would deletion of all 2010/2011 accounts and disabling registrations achieve similar results?

:thumbsup:

Except the GOOD 2011/2010 newfag posters who aren't shit fucking posters, like MMXI, Sceptic etc...

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Soup: I rather suspect the Codex is the only Forum on the entire interwebs with a Server that looks kinda like this:
computertape.jpg

/e: also thanks, Jaesun. *makes entry on his list*

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You are a BRO Angelo85. You like actual turn based cRPG's, like my awesome DC mods. (shameless self plug).

:bro:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
SoupNazi said:
so is codex the only forum on the entire interwebs with more than 200 active users on?

P. much.

Hongfire:
Currently Active Users

There are currently 1979 users online. 737 members and 1242 guests

Most users ever online was 18,092, 12-14-2010 at 07:47 AM.

NFOHump:
Our users have posted a total of 1563553 articles
We have 88351 registered users
In total there are 349 users online :: 40 Registered, 8 Hidden and 301 Guests

MangaFox:
Threads: 235,001
Members: 628,658
Active Members: 95,506

SoupNazi

Wow, those guys must have like a constant 500 Internal Server Error page, and only people who've donated $100 or more for their own server slot (like Haba) can access the forums.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
yes i also heard that all servers for all forums are equal in size and capabilities

so DU how many millions from a dirty capitalist would you need to fix this shit

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Grunker said:
so DU how many millions from a dirty capitalist would you need to fix this shit
We're working on that now. As I understand it, we're at the point where you need to string a couple of boxes together. That's all well and good but it does boil down to making enough money to sustain it on a long-term, ongoing basis (Visitors to the Codex have pretty much doubled every 6 months or so). That may be an annual fundraiser - but if not, we need to have other solutions available (IE: I'll be covering this thing, I want to make sure I can and it doesn't turn into a financial blackhole, kept open just so trannies can meet their nazi lovers online). One of those was the web-game which is an idea I've been toying with for a while. Other options are going down the Something Awful path of paid accounts.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Visitors doubling every six months? Really? I could understand that spike prior to the DA2 release but this shit is consistent? Are people really getting fed up with the decline, or what?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, I just figured the DA2 spike would just finally fade away and we would be back to normal, visitor wise.

Cassidy

Arcane
Something Awful path of paid accounts.

It's your forum, if you want to kill it, it's your choice.

:M

I guess the "prophecy" I made may end more accurate than Cleve's.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom