Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's with all those server errors lately?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
perhaps the fee would be to post in GD

I'm sure those pure blooded gentlemen have financial resources commensurate with their genetic superiority

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Question to DU:

If shit really hits the fan, you'll actually keep visitors from viewing this site rather than start fucking over the actual members, right?

Right?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
because it continuously spills over to the other boards and generally contributes to the decline of the whole site by cultivating certain retarded forms of behavior.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:
Visitors doubling every six months? Really? I could understand that spike prior to the DA2 release but this shit is consistent? Are people really getting fed up with the decline, or what?
It's been consistent up until the errors starting getting prominent - at which point it plateaued and dropped a bit. Before then visitors have been increasing at about 40k per month. EG: Mar 2010 hit a max of 300k and we hit 600k in Mar 2011. Back in 09 figures are around 150k a month. So every 6 - 12 months there's been a doubling, usually hitting some kind of extreme max at some point, dropping back a bit, then building up so that extreme point becomes the norm and so it repeats.

If I assume the recent drop is due to the issues and that correcting them will result in more people hitting the server, I think I can assume we'll hit the 1M visitors a month mark not too long after things get back to working again (especially with the improvements and better forums).

Jaesun said:
Yeah, I just figured the DA2 spike would just finally fade away and we would be back to normal, visitor wise.
Except the DA2 spike has come after the Oblivion spike, which came after... some other spike before that. And each spike is getting substantially bigger.

Cassidy said:
Something Awful path of paid accounts.
It's your forum, if you want to kill it, it's your choice.

:M
A lot of people complain about this but in the end, if given a choice between keeping the place online vs taking it offline, I'll choose to keep it online. Besides, any drop in users would help the server. ;)

... And I figure we'd only lose the people who weren't really interested anyway as most would be grand-fathered in. I accept it would also change the nature of the forums because it'd make it a whole lot easier to actually ban all the retards and keep them out once and for all. The Codex could finally be a truly prestigious place. :smug:

But still, we're a long way off from that. Upgrade --> Experience More Problems --> Fund-Raisers Fail to Raise Enough --> Alternative Funding Methods.

made

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:

I'm sure those pure blooded gentlemen have financial resources commensurate with their genetic superiority
You'd think that would be the sensible solution, but nooooo, we don't want to alienate our valuable GD-only posters.

You could even stagger the fees for maximum profit:

-Rage against niggers/spics/chinks - that will be 10 bux
-Deny the holocaust - that's another 10 bux for you
-Blog about your transformation from male->female/female->male/human->furry - fork over another 10

The possibilities are limitless.

Repressed Homosexual
Which forum software will take phpbb2's place?

Isn't the problem ultimately just that repeated MySQL queries on big databases are very intensive for servers? if so no matter the software used, the problem will remain.

Maybe a possibility would be to put older threads as a separate browsable archive so as to reduce strain.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Humanity has risen! said:

Isn't the problem ultimately just that repeated MySQL queries on big databases are very intensive for servers? if so no matter the software used, the problem will remain.

Maybe a possibility would be to put older threads as a separate browsable archive so as to reduce strain.

RPGCodex
Our users have posted a total of 1,783,002 articles
We have 9,066 registered users

Forum X
Threads: 284,648
Members: 660,939

There are currently 2921 users online. 900 members and 2021 guests.

Powered by vBulletin.

Search took 0.02 seconds.

Forum Y

Users online: 3434 (977 members and 2457 guests).

Powered by vBulletin.

Search took 0.03 seconds.

I'm starting to see a pattern here...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
made said:
sgc_meltdown said:

You'd think that would be the sensible solution, but nooooo, we don't want to alienate our valuable GD-only posters.

You could even stagger the fees for maximum profit:

-Rage against niggers/spics/chinks - that will be 10 bux
-Deny the holocaust - that's another 10 bux for you
-Blog about your transformation from male->female/female->male/human->furry - fork over another 10

The possibilities are limitless.
better:
charge a cumulative 0.01$ each gd post and a flat 3$ fee for registration.
only transfer patron accounts and delete all others upon transition, but announce it well in advance so people have enough time to cough up the dough.

Repressed Homosexual
Haba said:
Humanity has risen! said:

RPGCodex
Our users have posted a total of 1,783,002 articles
We have 9,066 registered users

Forum X
Threads: 284,648
Members: 660,939

There are currently 2921 users online. 900 members and 2021 guests.