Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's with all those server errors lately?

Cassidy

Arcane
Jaesun said:
All that would do is flood the other forums with gd morans.

Depends on whether spamming the Codex Workshop with threads about why Jews and niggers are destroying Western Civilization will ensue a ban or not.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Jaesun said:
All that would do is flood the other forums with gd morans.

Which will give DU carte blanche to ban them. As a result - lesser server load = less money required to keep one.
It's a perfect final solution really.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Haba said:
Humanity has risen! said:
Which forum software will take phpbb2's place?

Isn't the problem ultimately just that repeated MySQL queries on big databases are very intensive for servers? if so no matter the software used, the problem will remain.

Maybe a possibility would be to put older threads as a separate browsable archive so as to reduce strain.

RPGCodex
Our users have posted a total of 1,783,002 articles
We have 9,066 registered users

Forum X
Threads: 284,648
Members: 660,939

There are currently 2921 users online. 900 members and 2021 guests.

Powered by vBulletin.

Search took 0.02 seconds.

Forum Y

Users online: 3434 (977 members and 2457 guests).

Powered by vBulletin.

Search took 0.03 seconds.

I'm starting to see a pattern here...
vBulletin went to shit when all their main devs left. Latest updates have been ridden with horribly shitty bugs. Also Tal's correct re funding. The minute "Nazi" or "transexual" or "fuck this game sucks" appears in a forum, your ability to get ads reduces. I think the less clicking on ads is also in part, due to our audience. People come here because they don't want to be manipulated my the main-stream gaming press into being told something is awesome - they want to find out how much it sucks. And people who think everything sucks don't click ads. :smug:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Tax on GD is retarded and really short sided.

I'll say this again: what is wrong with simply limiting forum viewership to registered members only if it gets that bad? Wouldn't that solve all the problems?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
DarkUnderlord said:
Also Tal's correct re funding. The minute "Nazi" or "transexual" or "fuck this game sucks" appears in a forum, your ability to get ads reduces. I think the less clicking on ads is also in part, due to our audience. People come here because they don't want to be manipulated my the main-stream gaming press into being told something is awesome - they want to find out how much it sucks. And people who think everything sucks don't click ads.

Just give up already and affiliate with J-List and whatnot, they'll be happy to do business with jRPGCodex :smug:

Also maybe abduct Adhaira and Wyrmlord, tie them up in the back seat of a certain ban-evading gentleman and force them to click on ads while the gentleman drives around, looking for new WiFi connections?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:

I'll say this again: what is wrong with simply limiting forum viewership to registered members only if it gets that bad? Wouldn't that solve all the problems?
Yea, it probably would. But it'd also remove all forum content from search engines... and reduce the viewership of the site to 1/10th it has now... or less. Because I expect that far more people read the Codex occasionally than bother registering. All of them certainly wouldn't bother registering if the site suddenly required it. So it's a big step... usually one only the sites with a really huge user base and 'net-wide notoriety and/or fame can afford to take.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Taluntain said:
Dicksmoker said:

Yea, it probably would. But it'd also remove all forum content from search engines... and reduce the viewership of the site to 1/10th it has now...
You're right, general discussion should be viewable for registered members only.

jml

Augur
Patron
If you need donations i would be willing to donate 100 € if Andhaira and his alt's are permanently banned.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Is it possible/profitable to add text ads, kind of like the ones that get removed when you donate show when you're logged on? Maybe linked to images hosted here? Even if just for the accidental or pity clicks

Taxing GD would be pretty reasonable if it didn't kill the board. To keep it alive you'd need more regulars who are willing to donate to post there(the kinds of people who would pay for an GD aren't the kind of guys that post on our GD often, get it?)

People won't pay(not more than once, since once the board dies they won't pay again... maybe that small extra money is what it takes?) to talk to themselves on newsposts or to play a lame game of trolls trolling trolls with libhaira, at least you need a more serious and more lively GD, maybe creating a separate :obviously: forum and nagging people to use it(in turn maybe you can have both worthwhile discussions AND start making people more favourable to the idea of donating to post) would help? It's a stupid idea, but we're nearing desperate times

I guess trying to get extra traffic via prestigious reviews and popamole next gen gaming shit websites does invariably more bad than good, right? I mean, regarding server issues, not content-wise

Taking/locking the codex down for a week or tempbanning certain IP ranges could also work

SuicideBunny said:
because it continuously spills over to the other boards and generally contributes to the decline of the whole site by cultivating certain retarded forms of behavior.
Like?

Relay

Educated
Ed123 said:
How about deleting GD altogether?

GD is the place where rpg gamers go to talk about things other than RPG, since there is a dearth of actually good rpg nowadays and nothing to talk about on RPGD. Close GD you might as well close the codex. Everything worth saying about the classics has been said and there is little to say about the current waves of RPG other than SHIT. What are we going to talk about on the codex, Skyrim ? ME3 ? DA3 ? Whatever the fuck Obshitian puts out ? Avadon ? Torrent of shit.

Satan

Educated
yes, that's a good idea. close the codex to stop the decline.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
DarkUnderlord said:
vBulletin went to shit when all their main devs left. Latest updates have been ridden with horribly shitty bugs. Also Tal's correct re funding. The minute "Nazi" or "transexual" or "fuck this game sucks" appears in a forum, your ability to get ads reduces. I think the less clicking on ads is also in part, due to our audience. People come here because they don't want to be manipulated my the main-stream gaming press into being told something is awesome - they want to find out how much it sucks. And people who think everything sucks don't click ads. :smug:

So essentially what you're saying is you are either a happy fanboy for the latest consolecrap or you don't get any money until you are.

lo9eq.jpg

Shitposter
How about disallowing people who are using an adblocker from entering the site? Not sure if something like that can even be coded, though, can it?

If the forums are taking up too much space why don't you just take all of the threads in GD made before ~2009 and throw them onto some online archive? Same with News & Content Comments? And, in fact, Site Feedback? Old GD bullshit, old RPG news, old Site Feedback threads, any of those really necessary for the RPG Codex experience? I don't think so.

Send a PM to all the patrons asking them if they could please make another donation? Adding an image to the top of the forums stating that the site is in need of funds (since most people haven't even read this thread)?

What about getting rid of the home page/anything that isn't the forums since nobody uses them anyways? That way all the news and discussion can become 100% forum-based (it kind of already is like this already) and you can get rid of things which are not being used by the majority of members.

Also, if worst comes to wost I would be willing to pay ~10 or 20 dollars for membership, and I don't think that would necessarily kill the forums as I imagine a lot of other people would not mind doing so either. You can keep the forums viewable to non-members, but only members who have paid can make posts.

There are a billion different solutions, really. Don't worry guys :thumbsup:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Disabling access to those with ad blockers on would be a good idea... it'd probably lower traffic by half overnight, heh.

HD space isn't an issue, we've got plenty.

I actually asked DU only a couple of days ago if he'd code a reminder PM for all the patrons whose access has expired, but he's too lazy smart to do it for this old phpBB.

The problem with all coding changes done at this point is that they'll need to be redone once we move to the new forum platform, so it makes more sense to switch forums first and then look at all these options.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Ah the legend of the platform change. You guys have been going on about that for years it seems.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I kind of wish we would just make the switch to the new forum software now, provided the basic coding needed for the site's maintenance and news etc... were available.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It's kinda a package deal, (mostly) everything or forums only. But even if we went for forums only we're still waiting for a proper phpBB converter which still isn't available but should be soon...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ahhh ok I can understand that then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom